Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,293 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. (10383 Views)

Prof. Sagay Is The Most Inconsistent Nigerian - Odumakin / I’m Not ‘Come And Chop’ Politicians Like APC Leaders – Prof. Sagay / Fayose Is On The Road To Self-destruction — Prof. Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:09am On Jan 12, 2016
I find it funny that Igbos feel bad about Sagay recent outbursts, I mean seriously, the man is but an average Nigerian whose loyalty to his ethnic group comes first before any loyalty to Nigeria as an entity.

Problem with Igbos is that they lack the capacity to learn. grin
Let's face it, the easiest way to become a darling of the Nigerian state these days is to directly or indirectly attack the Igbo or any Igbo related group. In that case, Sagay is only playing by the rules.

Below is an excerpt from one of Sagay previous outbursts about, Ndiigbo, the Igbos of Delta Origin, were at the receiving end of his outburst then.

Read below.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:15am On Jan 12, 2016
[b] Urhobo Historical Society
Views and Perspectives on the Location of the Headquarters
of Delta State, Nigeria, in Asaba
By Itse Sagay
Professor of Law, University of Benin
IN my short article entitled "Delta State: Its own worst enemy?", published in The Guardian on Monday June 10, 2001, I advocated certain solutions to the imminent political crisis in the state, which admittedly was controversial and bound to generate reaction and debate. I also expected that whilst some might accept my proposals, others particularly in the Ogboru camp might strongly contest my views. The issue of the location of the State capital in Anioma, instead of the real Delta State was incidental as far as I was concerned. It was meant to illustrate the fact that positive developments in the State tend to be accompanied by undesirable developments and phenomena. I little expected comments or criticisms on the issue of the State capital, although these are also welcome.
As expected quite a number of comments and reactions have rolled in. All these articles have been couched in decent, civilised language, and concentration has been on ideas and issues and not on personalities. That is, until Clem Okonjo's contribution published in the Guardian of Monday July 8, 2002. Okonjo abandoned the issue and descended on me, my motives etc and followed this with insulting, indeed abusive remarks. Let me illustrate with some examples. After describing my father as an icon, rare gem, detribalised etc Okonjo went on to state what a contrast I am to the 'great' man. In the first place my father has nothing to do with the issue, and Mr Okonjo is not qualified to judge his character, personality and achievements. Let Okonjo limit his views on personal qualities to members of his own family, who might appreciate it. For us in the Sagay family, it is an insult for some unknown quantity to dare to express his opinion about our illustrious father. Who appointed Okonjo a judge of his superiors' character? It has become the norm for nonentities to award prices and honours to their superiors these days. This is just a variant of that practice. Okonjo, the Sagay family reject your views on our father. You are unworthy to be a judge of his character. In any case our father was not in issue in the matter under consideration. The Sagay family was not in issue, and we as a family do not want to hear his views on our father. Next in quick succession, Okonjo called me, (i) Uneducated in rudimentary truths, (ii) a political jobber and (iii) an Itsekiri man who is a political jobber for the Urhobos.
On the last issue, it would appear that Okonjo has been a beneficiary of the Itsekiri - Urhobo disputes and is extremely disturbed by a possible alignment of views between the two Sister Nations. Of course the present location of the Delta State Capital in Anioma State is a fallout of this dispute, with outside opportunists stoking the embers of the dispute and making away with the rights and interests of the quarrelling sisters. And so for my conviction that the capital of Delta State was immorally and shamelessly transferred outside Delta, instead of remaining at Warri where it had been capital of Warri province, since the 1920s, I am a political jobber for the Urhobos. It is better that I am so than to be a political jobber for Aniomas. [/b]

1 Like

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:16am On Jan 12, 2016
[b] Let me state clearly that my position on the location of the capital of Delta State has been consistent from the very beginning; right from August 1991 when Babangida used the Delta State Capital to pay his bride price to his Anioma in-laws. When I was invited to Asaba in May 1999 to give the hand over lecture from Military dictatorship to Civilian democratic government, and was asked by the out-going Military Administrator, Commander Feghabo, what I thought of the fact that only the southern Delta, particularly the Urhobos have so far produced civilian Governors for Delta State, my reply was simple. 'Delta State' is constituted by two States, Delta proper and Anioma. As long as the Delta Capital remains in Anioma,the Governors will come from the real Delta. Inspite of castigations in the press, by the Asagba of Asaba, and some other Anioma elites, I have remained firm in my views. The best solution is for the two entities to separate into two states with the Delta State Capital being at Warri. Anioma can then be a state with its capital at Asaba. Alternatively, Anioma can join Anambra State and become a member of the South Eastern group of states to which it truly belongs. It should not be forgotten that the Anioma part of the present Delta State came from Edo province. It was never part of Delta province. It is therefore an unacceptable outrage for a territory transferred from Edo State to join us, to be made our capital. The fact that the Anioma part of the State produces less than four per cent of the state's revenue or income only adds salt to a grievous injury.
I am always surprised that the Anioma people cannot understand the deep sense of injury of the peoples of the real Delta. It is no excuse that they have benefited from our misfortune. Instead of being sombre and restrained and joining us to seek a solution, the Anioma elite has been celebrating this great injustice - the stealing of our capital. Let me ask again as I did at a public forum on May 8 2002: "Here again, fellow Nigerians are capitalising on the unfortunate plight of another group of Nigerians. Should Asaba, which strictly belongs to the Igbo National Group be capital of a state of the Delta peoples? If then by a gross anomaly, this wrong has been inflicted on the Delta people, should this be confounded by an extra injury of governorship? Would that not effectively make the Anioma the colonial overlord of the Deltans?" [/b]

2 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by oduastates: 12:18am On Jan 12, 2016
Sagay has no time for nonsense and he calls it as he sees it.
Sagay is one of the very few intellectual in Nigeria who puts is view out there regardless of whose Ox is gored.
Where your elites are absent without leave on major national issues, Sagay has always been on the frontlines in the fight for what is just and what is right.
His exasperation is over the lack of objectivity in the petulant attitudes originating from the east.
Why exactly are you angry over what he said?
Even Kalu himself admitted live on radio that someone gave him $1 million immediately after the elections.
$1 million is no small change. The Nigerians abroad will tell you that.
On his fight for his people, urbobo or isobo as we yorubas call them in our native language , the isobos have always been nationalistic. Who else should fight their battles if not those who are well placed to do so. Where the itshekiris show their nationalism by being very protective of their land, the urbobo show their nationalism by fighting to be self governing.
This is a question a true sovereign national conference will answer.

THIS IS ITSE SAGAY GIVING IT TO EKITI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_729np9NLk

5 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:18am On Jan 12, 2016
[b] So if my Urhobo brothers share my view in this regard, does that make me their political jobber? Who says Itsekiris are happy to travel for two hours to a Delta State Capital situated in foreign territory, when our real capital is right there with us in Warri. Only a few weeks ago, we lost a great intellectual and true leader of his people in Professor Austin Egborge, who died whilst having to travel from our real Capital, Warri to Asaba. Who says Ijaws are happy to travel eight hours by motor boat to Warri, before starting afresh on a two-hour journey to Asaba? The truth is that the configuration of the present state is a misnomer, an absurdity and a terrible scourge on the people of the real Delta.
Okonjo says that I am out to please people in the corridors of power in making my proposals. Only an incorrigible opportunist, and an unprincipled exploiter and operator like Okonjo, can believe that unlike himself, no one can take a position on principle. No one can act on conviction. As for my so called Urhobo benefactors, it will be the happiest moment of my existence, when the Itsekiris, Urhobo and also the Ijaws start working together like one family that they have been for over 500 years. We have the same culture, food, identical mode of dressing; we have intermarried and are intertwined. The relationship can no longer be unravelled. Okonjo hopes in vain that the Urhobo/Itsekiri quarrels will prevent us from identifying our areas of common interest. He hopes in vain. Let the Urhobos be my benefactors, whatever that may mean. I accept that insult. But I shall not be diverted.
All the name calling, my 'ego trip' desire to be heard on every issue, all go to no issue. I have no apologies to make about my prominence and status in Nigerian Society. My constancy, steadfastness in the pursuit of principles and great causes have earned me that position. If I had wanted to be rich, or be appointed to a position of power, authority and profit, I could have compromised my principles in nearly thirty years of military rule in this country. My steadfastness and principled stand for human rights, democracy and justice have earned me the power and authority I have today, because inspite of all Okonjo's ranting about 'Jobbing', I hold no office in any political establishment even now.
If because he is a nonentity his views are not sought by journalists; if he is neither erudite nor popular, he must not lay the blame on me. Let him find out whether the fault is in his stars or in himself and do something about it. At the end of his abusive and vexatious article, Okonjo came out of the closet and revealed the true source of his burning hatred; the Urhobo people. My crime is that I do not hate the Urhobo too, for in Okonjo's imagination, every true Itsekiri man must hate the Urhobos. Well I don't. Many Itsekiri don't. They are our kinsmen. We shall reconcile and claim back our rights together, whether in terms of resource control or our estranged capital. Okonjo's rabid outburst will be an incentive for our unity.
http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/essays/politics/SagayOnDeltaCapital.html [/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by fulanimafia: 12:19am On Jan 12, 2016
Leave the messenger alone, what is untrue about his 'outburst'?

Playing victim is an old and expired strategy in Nigeria today as some elements are quickly finding out.

2 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:20am On Jan 12, 2016
"When I was invited to Asaba in May 1999 to give the hand over lecture from Military dictatorship to Civilian democratic government, and was asked by the out-going Military Administrator, Commander Feghabo, what I thought of the fact that only the southern Delta, particularly the Urhobos have so far produced civilian Governors for Delta State, my reply was simple. 'Delta State' is constituted by two States, Delta proper and Anioma. As long as the Delta Capital remains in Anioma,the Governors will come from the REAL DELTA",

This is the true nature of the man you want to kill yourselves on top? Why waste time threatening sagay, will killing him change the mindset of the average Nigerian towards the Igbo?

Lol, you have a bigger fish to fry, leave Sagay alone, he is the symptom, not the disease, work on the disease first.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:30am On Jan 12, 2016
"Here again, fellow Nigerians are capitalising on the unfortunate plight of another group of Nigerians. Should Asaba, which strictly belongs to the Igbo National Group be capital of a state of the Delta peoples? If then by a gross anomaly, this wrong has been inflicted on the Delta people, should this be confounded by an extra injury of governorship? Would that not effectively make the Anioma the colonial overlord of the Deltans?"

Sagay couldn't even set aside his ethnic bigotry and work for the unity of delta state, but he is expected to work for the unity of Nigeria.

Is it surprising that he had taken his personal battle with Igbos in Delta to Igbos in the national politics, the moment he was offered a platform by the Nigerian people? cool

Why focus on the symptom, Ndiigbo, when you lots could cure the disease itself?

12 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:34am On Jan 12, 2016
"I am always surprised that the Anioma people cannot understand the deep sense of injury of the peoples of the real Delta. It is no excuse that they have benefited from our misfortune. Instead of being sombre and restrained and joining us to seek a solution, the Anioma elite has been celebrating this great injustice - the stealing of our capital ".

"Our Capital", indeed. The solution Sagay was speaking of here is Anioma surrendering her right to vie for the leadership of Delta state, since they are not "Real Delta" people, and had no right to host the Delta state capital. shocked
A similar scenario to what Nigerians mean when they say: No Igbo Man Can Ever Rule Nigeria Again.
That's their solution to the Igbo problem, just as Sagay was offering Igbos in Delta a Solution to the Anioma problem in Delta.

Did the Igbos in Anioma ask for Sagay head? No, they knew he was but a symptom, they simply tackled the disease, and today nobodies like Sagay had been forced to swallow their vomit, as an Anioma son seats currently on the seat of power of Delta state.

Ndiigbo in General, can borrow a leaf from Ndiigbo in Delta.

Stop making Sagay relevant, when he isn't relevant in the grand scheme of things, Stop this your petulant attitude and for once, rid yourselves of the current crop of political jobbers and sell outs masquerading as your political leaders.
How hard can it be for the current Igbo youths agitating for dissolution of Nigerian to rather mobilize themselves and vote out the current rotten Igbo political class, by choosing better alternatives from within themselves capable of standing in the gap for the Igbo nation, to stand for election and be voted for. A New youth driven political class to reposition Igboland.

Isn't it time Ndiigbo forget about what is happening in Abuja come 2019, but rather use 2019 to do a serious in house cleaning that will usher a true renaissance of the region, and rid the region of expired political jobbers?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 12:40am On Jan 12, 2016
No wonder Nigerian universities are run down.

4 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:45am On Jan 12, 2016
imhotep:
No wonder Nigerian universities are run down.

How so?
Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 12:47am On Jan 12, 2016
Ariani:

How so?
See the gibberish a so-called prof is yarning.

16 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by LadyExcellency: 12:48am On Jan 12, 2016
After Oil, the next thing that unites component tribes/nationalities in Nigeria is hatred and fear of the Igbos (Igbophobia)

Who knows the maiden that will born the King?

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 12:50am On Jan 12, 2016
LadyExcellency:
After Oil, the next thing that unites component tribes/nationalities in Nigeria is hatred and fear of the Igbos (Igbophobia)
We call it the Igbophobic Obsessive Compulsive Syndrome grin grin grin

cc lzaa onyeoga

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ariani: 12:59am On Jan 12, 2016
imhotep:

Sagay is an honest man, he says it as it is.

He had been consistent, he had never pretended to have any love for Ndiigbo.

Those his outbursts are exactly the sentiments of most Nigerians towards the Igbo, irrespective of their educational attainment, just that many are very good at hiding their's.

Ndiigbo should stop feeling like anyone owe them fairness and justice, no one owe you a dime, it's a brutal world, if you want it bad enough, you take it.

Ndiigbo should be happy for the existence of painfully blunt individuals like Sagay, if only the Igbos are strategic enough and not petulant, they should be silently be thankful to Sagay, and be puting to good use, his sentiments that mirrors those of other Nigerians.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 1:09am On Jan 12, 2016
Ariani:

That is why his frustrations will never end.
If this is his scholarly contribution to this matter, then I worry for his academic endeavours.

Ariani:

Those his outbursts are exactly the sentiments of most Nigerians towards the Igbo, irrespective of their educational attainment, just that many are very good at hiding their's.
LMAO
Very good point. Greet your numerous Igbo neighbors for me grin grin

Ariani:

Ndiigbo should be happy for the existence of painfully blunt individuals like Sagay, if only the Igbos are strategic enough and not petulant, they should be silently be thankful to Sagay, and be puting to good use, his sentiments that mirrors those of other Nigerians.
Running Nigeria on the basis of Igbophobia has not helped anybody.

8 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Lajet: 1:31am On Jan 12, 2016
Ariani:

Ndiigbo should stop feeling like anyone owe them fairness and justice, no one owe you a dime, it's a brutal world, if you want it bad enough, you take it.

I agreed with you just like TonyeBarcanista who is always looking for a way to wipe out any trace of igbos in South-South with Lies and Propaganda

16 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Justpassingby45(m): 1:43am On Jan 12, 2016
And what is "Sagay"
Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by cheruv: 2:38am On Jan 12, 2016
imhotep:

We call it the Igbophobic Obsessive Compulsive Syndrome grin grin grin
In which every unknown entity is an expert on Igbo issues angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 2:41am On Jan 12, 2016
cheruv:

In which every unknown entity is an expert on Igbo issues angry
The only 'expertise' displayed is that of spreading baseless rumors on the basis of ENVY

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Afam4eva(m): 2:46am On Jan 12, 2016
Igbos are funny people i swear. They just keep acting surprised everytime. if a a whole nation can fight you in a 3 year civil war where millions lost their lives and your properties and monies were confiscated. What level of hatred would you not expect. To call Itse Sagay is to call the Pope a catholic but luckily for people like him, he has millions of supports as long as his skewed ourbursts are targted at the Igbos. Afterall there's a saying that my enemy's enemy is my friend (is there actually a saying like that? I may have missed it up).

Just to say something about the whole bickering about Asaba being the capital. It's possible Asaba was chosen as the capital to due to the bias of Babangida because his wife was from there but as long as Asaba is in Delta state and not Anambra or elsewhere, it qualifies just as much as Warri, Ughelli, Sapele or Agbor, so i don't understand why some supposed educated folks have a problem with it. maybe if there was a rule as to how a capital should be chosen, we would have perused the rule to see how Asaba does not qualify to be a capital. I even heard some people telling us how Asaba is not in the central part of Delta state. This is how people concoct rules out of your scrotum to justify their tribalism. They can as well tell us why Washington DC is not in the center of America or how Ikeja local government is the last local government before entering Ogun State.

I'm equally worried about the sanity of some Igbo folks who have time to waste on these Igbo haters.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Scholes007(m): 2:57am On Jan 12, 2016
Ariani:

in a more simpler term explain what you mean. I mean your own personal stand.
Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by chiddye(m): 3:47am On Jan 12, 2016
" Isn't it time Ndiigbo forget about what is happening in Abuja come 2019, but rather use 2019 to do a serious in house cleaning that will usher a true renaissance of the region, and rid the region of expired political jobbers?"

this words should be in gold

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Ugomba(m): 4:22am On Jan 12, 2016
I know dis man, a tribalist by nature.
- He is still pained at Asaba being Delta capital.
Mr Sagay, Asaba will continue to be Delta Capital until we get our Anioma state.. Also Ifeanyi Okowa will complete his 8yrs tenure as the governor.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 4:42am On Jan 12, 2016
Ugomba:
I know dis man, a tribalist by nature.
- He is still pained at Asaba being Delta capital.
Mr Sagay, Asaba will continue to be Delta Capital until we get our Anioma state.. Also Ifeanyi Okowa will complete his 8yrs tenure as the governor.
Delta state will be ok when the capital is moved from Asaba to Warri. grin grin grin

illiterate professor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 5:56am On Jan 12, 2016
Sagay clearly stated Anioma is from Edo State.

Sagay said "It should not be forgotten that the Anioma part of the present Delta State came from Edo province. It was never part of Delta province. It is therefore an unacceptable outrage for a territory transferred from Edo State to join us, to be made our capital."
Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Viktor1983(m): 6:22am On Jan 12, 2016
y'all Ignore him.
he doesn't deserve any attention.
Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by kingdompropty: 7:00am On Jan 12, 2016
This is an expose. I see how the SW and their ilks are just reading and withdrawing quickly.

I have always insisted that the IPOB, Massob and Biafra Zion must rally the Ndigbo nation to uproot evil politicians first and then we decided what next, ofcourse through ballots.
Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by chiefobdk(m): 7:29am On Jan 12, 2016
tuale4u:
Sagay clearly stated Anioma is from Edo State.

Sagay said "It should not be forgotten that the Anioma part of the present Delta State came from Edo province. It was never part of Delta province. It is therefore an unacceptable outrage for a territory transferred from Edo State to join us, to be made our capital."

The best solution is for the two
entities to separate into two states with the Delta State
Capital being at Warri. Anioma can then be a state with its
capital at Asaba. Alternatively, Anioma can join Anambra
State and become a member of the South Eastern group of
states to which it truly belongs. It should not be forgotten
that the Anioma part of the present Delta State came from
Edo province. It was never part of Delta province. It is
therefore an unacceptable outrage for a territory transferred
from Edo State to join us, to be made our capital.

did u forget Whr he said d above.
U go copy d one wet favour u

8 Likes

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by bufness(m): 7:41am On Jan 12, 2016
imhotep:

a whole proffessor of law yarning gibberish ? shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 12, 2016
bufness:
a whole proffessor of law yarning gibberish ? shocked shocked
The title "professor" does not immunize anyone from yarning opata also known as gibberish.

1 Like

Re: The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. by Emekamex(m): 8:00am On Jan 12, 2016
Like someone said, I don't know why some of my Igbo peeps get emotional or angry from continuous banter from different tribes. It is clear that most tribe loathe us and are just playing "eye service" with the term "One Nigeria".

We will only move forward as a tribe when we do like others by putting our tribe and region first before national issues. Advocating and doing business with the mentality of "One Nigeria" is what is diminishing our prgress.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari With Zhang Dejiang, China's chairman Of The Standing Committee / Twitter Account Describes Apc's "Next Level" Change As A Male Cross Dresser Vid) / Deltans, Edo Will Form A United Kingdom With Oduduwa If Nigeria Breaks Up.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.