Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,302 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. - Travel (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. (629462 Views)

23-year-old Zambian Pilot Fulfills Dream Of Flying Parents / Opportunity For Nurses And Midwives To Work In Dubai / Working Abroad Illegally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 8:48pm On Apr 18, 2020
BlueBeard:

I never said after the 2 year program, that it would automatically confer Canadian RN status
on you when you graduate. [b]The school only helps with the study gaps [/b]and after that,you are eligible to write NCLEX( even those that use the university route will definitely have to write the NCLEX, cos NCLEX is the koko for becoming an RN in Canada). If u truly understood d question, BEEJAY asked, he/she said "post graduate program" , I dont think he/she wanted an undergraduate degree like you stated earlier. Please do enough clarification,before coming here to be standing cry
Guy nor be quarrel.
I am trying to understand what you mean by the bolded. Please correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that after the completion of this program, an individual would no longer have any gaps and would be approved to write NCLEX-RN?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 8:51pm On Apr 18, 2020
BlueBeard:

I never said after the 2 year program, that it would automatically confer Canadian RN status
on you when you graduate. The school only helps with the study gaps and after that,you are eligible to write NCLEX( even those that use the university route will definitely have to write the NCLEX, cos NCLEX is the koko for becoming an RN in Canada). If u truly understood d question, BEEJAY asked, he/she said "post graduate program" , I dont think he/she wanted an undergraduate degree like you stated earlier. Please do enough clarification,before coming here to be standing cry
I get your point but my understanding of post graduate programs are that they just help to expose you to Canadian concepts. Programs such as geriatrics, critical care, nursing practice etc.

Except you are saying that this program has been pre approved as a bridging program tongue
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 6:57am On Apr 19, 2020
vickyehi:

I get your point but my understanding of post graduate programs are that they just help to expose you to Canadian concepts. Programs such as geriatrics, critical care, nursing practice etc.

Except you are saying that this program has been pre approved as a bridging program tongue
I'm fully responsible for what I say, and not how you interpret/understand it...

Good morning, Vicky
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 7:01am On Apr 19, 2020
vickyehi:

Guy nor be quarrel.
I am trying to understand what you mean by the bolded. Please correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that after the completion of this program, an individual would no longer have any gaps and would be approved to write NCLEX-RN?

@vickyehi, Abeg nor vex, are you a nurse? Lets start from the very scratch... Or should I give you the WhatsApp number of the Canadian dude in charge of international educated nurses in Omni College, so you can confirm for yourself? Ayam tired of repeating one thing upandan cry
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 2:18pm On Apr 19, 2020
BlueBeard:

I'm fully responsible for what I say, and not how you interpret/understand it...

Good morning, Vicky
Good morning! I sent u a mail, check ur spam. I'd like to verify your sources because I think they are stretching the truth of their scope. And yes I am a nurse grin
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 3:14pm On Apr 19, 2020
vickyehi:

Good morning! I sent u a mail, check ur spam. I'd like to verify your sources because I think they are stretching the truth of their scope. And yes I am a nurse grin
I hope you're not a Nurse-Eliza(auxiliary nurse), and if at the end of the day, I'm correct, you owe me a chilled wine grin grin grin check your email pls
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 3:23pm On Apr 19, 2020
BlueBeard:

I hope you're not a Nurse-Eliza(auxiliary nurse), and if at the end of the day, I'm correct, you owe me a chilled wine grin grin grin check your email pls
If I knock you ehhhh......see your mouth like eliza tongue tongue tongue tongue

the wine nor be problem. kiss cry kiss
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 3:56pm On Apr 19, 2020
BlueBeard:

on you when you graduate. The school only helps with the study gaps and after that,you are eligible to write NCLEX( even those that use the university route will definitely have to write the NCLEX, cos NCLEX is the koko for becoming an RN in Canada). If u truly understood d question, BEEJAY asked, he/she said "post graduate program" , I dont think he/she wanted an undergraduate degree like you stated earlier. Please do enough clarification,before coming here to be standing cry
I had a conversation with a current student of Omni college and I would be posting the transcript of our conversation.

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2020
grin
vickyehi:

I had a conversation with a current student of Omni college and I would be posting the transcript of our conversation.
No wahala, I've gone thru d chat. Well, Omni college isn't a visa agency, at least any learned person that goes thru their website can attest to this. Meanwhile, the only difference in this whole conversation u had with this your friend is the scenario of some students getting their PR while studying in the school, which is very understandable. Anyways, amma link you up to Omni College Representative, so lets see how this goes,okay? grin

Cheers, mate
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Amy360: 4:47pm On Apr 19, 2020
[Thank you so much @vickyehi for your response.one more question in regards to the credential ranking service.What of writing nclex before the whole process comes through,can the nclex be written outside of canada give score or a gives a better chance at scoring that person?or can one write nclex before moving to Canada?.quote author=vickyehi post=88572648]
Check what your CRS score is at the link below,the higher your score, the better your chances. You should aim to score 470s above and that is dependent on your age at this point. After 30yrs, you loose 5 points on each birthday and loose all points for age at 35. You can also check the Express entry thread on nairaland for more info.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2020
BlueBeard:
grin
No wahala, I've gone thru d chat. Well, Omni college isn't a visa agency, at least any learned person that goes thru their website can attest to this. Meanwhile, the only difference in this whole conversation u had with this your friend is the scenario of some students getting their PR while studying in the school, which is very understandable. Anyways, amma link you up to Omni College Representative, so lets see how this goes,okay? grin

Cheers, mate
Mr learned, the agency reference was a metaphor undecided undecided undecided undecided.

Anyways, I dont intend going to Omni. I am choosing a different pathway. I just did all these so people who come read the chats later are not misled.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 5:22pm On Apr 19, 2020
Amy360:
[Thank you so much @vickyehi for your response.one more question in regards to the credential ranking service.What of writing nclex before the whole process comes through,can the nclex be written outside of canada give score or a gives a better chance at scoring that person?or can one write nclex before moving to Canada?.quote author=vickyehi post=88572648]
Check what your CRS score is at the link below,the higher your score, the better your chances. You should aim to score 470s above and that is dependent on your age at this point. After 30yrs, you loose 5 points on each birthday and loose all points for age at 35. You can also check the Express entry thread on nairaland for more info.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
Canada's process is very different from the USA. This means that there are stages that you need to undergo before you get to the final stage of NCLEX-RN. The licensure process is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ROUTE from the immigration process. The evaluation bodies and requirements are not the same AT ALL.

NCLEX-RN can be written outside of canada, but the competency test required to qualify you for nclex cannot be taken outside of canada.

Except you got your ATT from the USA, it is impossible to write nclex without stepping foot on Canadian soil.
Passing NCLEX-RN has no bearing on your permanent resident application.

I want you to see these 2 things as totally independent processes.
Licensure process requirement (rough estimate)
1....register with NNAS (evaluation body)
2.....ielts academic version
3...report from NNAS and register with the college of nursing of your choice
a) if it says "comparable" to Canadian education then next step is NCLEX-RN exam.
B) if it says "non comparable" or "somewhat comparable", then you have to take the test of skills exam ( it's an OSCe exam to identify your gaps).
B1) if you pass your OSCE without issues, then you go ahead and write NCLEX-RN
B2) depending on your performance, a number of bridging courses would be recommended. This ranges from 3months bridging( if a little gap was identified) to as much as 4 years ( if the gap is too much).
C) Complete your bridging course at the designated institution and then qualify to write your nclex.
4.....pass nclex and get licensed.

Immigration
1....ielts general version
2....credential evaluation with WES, ICES, or IQAS
3.....enter the Express entry pool
4.....get invited to apply (currently scores above 470s are surest bets)
5.....apply for the PR
6...get approved and relocate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 6:12pm On Apr 19, 2020
vickyehi:

Mr learned, the agency reference was a metaphor undecided undecided undecided undecided.

Anyways, I dont intend going to Omni. I am choosing a different pathway. I just did all these so people who come read the chats later are not misled.

Thanks for the clarification
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 7:43pm On Apr 19, 2020
BlueBeard:

You never made mention of the applicant choosing the province where he/she would wanna work ? You never made mention of the advisory report gotten from NNAS? That NNAS sends the advisory report to the nursing regulatory body in the province of your choice, and its this regulatory body that tells u whether u have gaps or nah...before u come to whether writing osce or nclex or not... The PR route you wrote is very apt, nice one

Phew! lets not too stretch this longer than this....
Good luck with your pathway and ideology. Someday you'd understand better.
Oga oooo
Canadian route is like a hydra's head. That's why I said rough estimate of the process because I cant start listing every single step of the process accordingly. However who ever is interested can read from page one of this thread for an in depth understanding.
As long as the person I am addressing gets a basic idea of the process, then it's all good.

Btw.....I am waiting for you to explain your point to me. Last last na English dey cause all these problems cheesy grin grin.

Anyways my dear readers, I hope I have been able to convince you and not to confuse you on the Canadian licensure process. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by THUNDER4real(m): 9:20pm On Apr 19, 2020
vickyehi:

Oga oooo
Canadian route is like a hydra's head. That's why I said rough estimate of the process because I cant start listing every single step of the process accordingly. However who ever is interested can read from page one of this thread for an in depth understanding.
As long as the person I am addressing gets a basic idea of the process, then it's all good.

Btw.....I am waiting for you to explain your point to me. Last last na English dey cause all these problems cheesy grin grin.

Anyways my dear readers, I hope I have been able to convince you and not to confuse you on the Canadian licensure process. grin grin grin

On Canadian licensure, you are well informed.
My guys that are following omni and travelled through them always opt out in the process for LPN first, then gradually start pursuing RN. Canadian Licensure for RN is Herculean task for foreigners, though achievable....it's also money intensive and time consuming.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Breeze19: 10:03pm On Apr 19, 2020
vickyehi:

Congratulations.
I hope they lift the ban soon or you get a waiver.please keep us updated for when the Visa issuance happens. I am so elated for you. Congrats again, it would surely end in praise.

Thanks Vicky
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Amy360: 1:16pm On Apr 20, 2020
Thank you so much @ Vicky for the clarification
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BEEJAY452(m): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2020
@bluebeard and @@Vickyehi
Thanks so much for your elaborate comments/contributions. I'll try those Universities and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, @vickyehi,
For those interested in 'a 2 year after degree in Nursing program ' which lead to Canadian Bachelor of Nursing which also automatically qualifies such individuals for the NCLEX RN in Canada, will the Nursing council Canada take such individuals to have equally met the English proficiency ie IELTS requirement after the successful completion of the program? or he/she must meet the ielts band scores despite the program?

vickyehi:

Yes there are several. You can do a masters in Nursing that is open to international students. Check university of manitoba, uni of Alberta, uni of regina etc. So far, as long ad it isnt the Nurse practitioner option, you can get admitted.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BEEJAY452(m): 4:45pm On Apr 20, 2020
@breeze 19,
pls which agent do you subscribe to?

I like the way the agent is keeping you going despite the ban and uncertainties.

Breeze19:

Yeah if you sign in with any of these agents , it becomes much more easier.
They will send documents to accompany your applications to the embassy .

For visa, paying for the exam fee, hotel reservation and flight....the agency handles all the paper works including getting the ATT from the BON.

I advise you review the previous comments. Many of these had been discussed vividly earlier .

Best of luck.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 10:08am On Apr 21, 2020
BEEJAY452:
@bluebeard and @@Vickyehi
Thanks so much for your elaborate comments/contributions. I'll try those Universities and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, @vickyehi,
For those interested in 'a 2 year after degree in Nursing program ' which lead to Canadian Bachelor of Nursing which also automatically qualifies such individuals for the NCLEX RN in Canada, will the Nursing council Canada take such individuals to have equally met the English proficiency ie IELTS requirement after the successful completion of the program? or he/she must meet the ielts band scores despite the program?

You would be like everyother Canadian trained nurse. You would not need to write ielts or do anyother extra thing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by CarlsJaz567(m): 4:29pm On Apr 21, 2020
Kudos to the OP - @barbiee, who started this very informative and long-enduring thread. I also appreciate the many contributions made by other major contributors. It's really been very enlightening to some of us silent readers. Believe me, there are many of us who remain on incognito mode while devouring all the rich info posted here. The rigour of even the exchange of banters/arguments (when there seem to be conflicting understanding of certain information), has been very eye-opening and mind-clarifying!

I am not a Nurse, nor am I any member of the health field - I am an IT practitioner. However, I am married to a Nurse who has about 17 years post-registration work experience mostly in a tertiary health institution as RN, RM and completed BNSc from the National Open University (NOUN) about 5 years ago. The destination of choice for us as a family of 4, is actually Canada. However, since it seems a bit of an uphill task gaining the RN status in Canada, we are considering the UK route as a stop-gap following the advice given by some of the top contributors in this forum.

My wife is eager to start an online UK Masters degree in Nursing, even from here in Nigeria, but I've been persuading here to be patient to start the programme abroad. My question is: would obtaining a UK Masters in Nursing, while working in the UK, significantly facilitate easier processing of Canadian-RN credentials, by the time we move to Canada? Or would it be better to just work in the UK, save enough money, and then start a Canadian Post-graduate Nursing program in Canada after relocating to Canada?

I feel it would be a substantial waste of time, effort and money if further postgraduate education would not help one to obtain the Canadian-RN credential - and one would still have to go back to school in Canada to achieve such. In that case, won't it even be better to defer any other form of postgraduate education until one gets to Canada? Please help to shed more light on the transition from UK-RN to Canada-RN route, since I believe many people in this forum would be considering such route. I hope my dilemma is clear enough? Sorry for the long post.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by pretty1986: 4:47pm On Apr 21, 2020
CarlsJaz567:
Kudos to the OP - @barbiee, who started this very informative and long-enduring thread. I also appreciate the many contributions made by other major contributors. It's really been very enlightening to some of us silent readers. Believe me, there are many of us who remain on incognito mode while devouring all the rich info posted here. The rigour of even the exchange of banters/arguments (when there seem to be conflicting understanding of certain information), has been very eye-opening and mind-clarifying!

I am not a Nurse, nor am I any member of the health field - I am an IT practitioner. However, I am married to a Nurse who has about 17 years post-registration work experience mostly in a tertiary health institution as RN, RM and completed BNSc from the National Open University (NOUN) about 5 years ago. The destination of choice for us as a family of 4, is actually Canada. However, since it seems a bit of an uphill task gaining the RN status in Canada, we are considering the UK route as a stop-gap following the advice given by some of the top contributors in this forum.

My wife is eager to start an online UK Masters degree in Nursing, even from here in Nigeria, but I've been persuading here to be patient to start the programme abroad. My question is: would obtaining a UK Masters in Nursing, while working in the UK, significantly facilitate easier processing of Canadian-RN credentials, by the time we move to Canada? Or would it be better to just work in the UK, save enough money, and then start a Canadian Post-graduate Nursing program in Canada after relocating to Canada?

I feel it would be a substantial waste of time, effort and money if further postgraduate education would not help one to obtain the Canadian-RN credential - and one would still have to go back to school in Canada to achieve such. In that case, won't it even be better to defer any other form of postgraduate education until one gets to Canada? Please help to shed more light on the transition from UK-RN to Canada-RN route, since I believe many people in this forum would be considering such route. I hope my dilemma is clear enough? Sorry for the long post.
. My dear, base on the information I got so far,firstly it is very much easy to a Nursing in UK from Nigeria once ur wife get a good grade in all the necessary Exams they normally take.again,it seems very hard to relocate from Nigeria to Canada whether through education or any job.my advise to ur wife is this,let her work towards getting a nurse work in UK ,which is very easy then u move with ur family and hustle some times in UK in order to save money,you guys can then easily relocate to Canada with ease whether through education or work.Our boss Justwise can give u more advise, just follow his advise. okay.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Amy360: 5:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
vickyehi:

You would be like everyother Canadian trained nurse. You would not need to write ielts or do anyother extra thing.
Good day Vicky,please I want to understand this information,Does it mean that after doing an Msc in nursing at Canada,that one is qualified to work as a trained registered nurse?please can you explain more.thank you for your responses so far and to all who has contributed.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
BlueBeard:

@vickyehi, Abeg nor vex, are you a nurse? Lets start from the very scratch... Or should I give you the WhatsApp number of the Canadian dude in charge of international educated nurses in Omni College, so you can confirm for yourself? Ayam tired of repeating one thing upandan cry

Calm down, thoes guys at the international office me most schools can tell you anything to compel you to enrol in their school, they need your money... He is not an authority in this matter, you have um do your own verification well
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 3:04am On Apr 23, 2020
CarlsJaz567:
Kudos to the OP - @barbiee,
To answer your question, a phd in nursing from the moon wont change the basic process as an international nurse in Canada. Truth is that the only education that matters as an international nurse is where you got your basic training. Meaning where you first qualified as a nurse.

With that in mind, I would advice you to keep your sights on the UK and later USA or Australia. For Canada, judging by your wife's experience, it means both of you would be in your 40s or later 30s. Age is a huge factor in the Canadian immigration process. Therefore, your options for relocating to canada would be through a study Visa to maybe come do a masters degree or some provincial nomination programs.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 3:08am On Apr 23, 2020
Amy360:

Good day Vicky,please I want to understand this information,[b]Does it mean that after doing an Msc in nursing at Canada,that one is qualified to work as a trained registered nurse?[/b]please can you explain more.thank you for your responses so far and to all who has contributed.
The simple answer is NO.
A masters degree does not confer the authority to practice. It is purely educational and you would have to go through the international nurse credential evaluation process like everyother person to get a Canadian license. You would be able to complete a masters that doesn't require contact with clients( just book work).
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 3:13am On Apr 23, 2020
SOLARPOWER1:

Calm down, thoes guys at the international office me most schools can tell you anything to compel you to enrol in their school, they need your money... He is not an authority in this matter, you have um do your own verification well
Dont mind @bluebeard.
We have settled it in camera and he owes me a bottle of "Chateau de Fuqup" and 1 month of apologies for asking me if I be nurse eliza angry angry angry grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. I am still waiting for @bluebeard to do the needful grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 7:05am On Apr 23, 2020
vickyehi:

Dont mind @bluebeard.
We have settled it in camera and he owes me a bottle of "Chateau de Fuqup" and 1 month of apologies for asking me if I be nurse eliza angry angry angry grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. I am still waiting for @bluebeard to do the needful grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

stop showing yourself joor.
Aunty Senior colleague, nor vex ooh. lolz

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Iruosonobrugwhe: 11:51am On Apr 23, 2020
loool.....that nusre Eliza question got me reeeling,....i was wondering how Vicky would answer.......Una too much

BlueBeard:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

stop showing yourself joor.
Aunty Senior colleague, nor vex ooh. lolz

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Cyrilade01: 1:25pm On Apr 23, 2020
Well done house and hope we are all staying safe.
Pls who is with intersaff agency and how is their first interview like....I mean what are the questions to be expected .
Thanks for your quick response
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2020
vickyehi:

Oga oooo

Thanks for the clarification

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (220) (Reply)

QATAR And UAE General Visa Enquiries / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.