Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,515 members, 7,954,955 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:09 PM

Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage (11400 Views)

Man Asks Church To Return His Tithes Or Face Court Action / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / “ GEJ To Bankrupt Nigeria” Sermon: Police Looking For Pastor Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 10:22pm On Jun 19, 2009
Former Heavyweight boxing champion has been in the news much lately, but not for knocking out his opponent. Holyfield has been the topic of much discussion over his inability to pay child support and the fact that his $10 million home is in foreclosure. But with all of his financial troubles, Holyfield claims in an interview with ESPN that he will tithe before any other obligations such as paying his mortgage. The interview is from a show ESPN produced about the relationships between stars and televangelists that will air this Sunday. Many televangelists preach variations of the “prosperity gospel,” which teaches its followers that through tithing, they’ll be rewarded not just spiritually but also financially. Holyfield has given millions of dollars( over $20 Million to date) to Creflo Dollar’s World Changers Church in Atlanta, ESPN’s John Barr reports.

Check out an excerpt from Sunday’s piece:

John Barr: “You would pay your tithe before you would pay your own house payment?”

Evander Holyfield: “(nodding head) Because I know that tithe, me paying that tithe, it’s going to better me off in the long run.”

“I can’t sit here and tell you I know all the goings on of that whole ministry, and all the money that they make and where it all goes. I have no idea. But I feel good about being involved with them as individuals and what they’re trying to do. And as of right now I’m very comfortable with that.” – Kurt Warner, on being on the board of a ministry essentially under Senate investigation.

This fool will tithe to Creflo Dollar, of all people, before he’ll pay his mortgage. I was raised to tithe but not when it can be a detriment to one being able to provide for oneself or his dependents. And who the hell would trust a Preacher who changes his name to DOLLAR ? And another thing, why does a preacher need a mansion with a pool inside of the home and a Rolls Royce SMH !!! Check out Creflo “Pimpin” Dollar and his mansion below.

http://current.com/items/90226828_evander-holyfield-will-tithe-to-creflo-dollar-before-paying-his-mortgage.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_5_97/ai_59021273/

you are bound to be homeless while the pastor of your church is balling.

1 Like

Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bindex(m): 11:39pm On Jun 19, 2009
Holyfield is trying to bribe the invicible man in the sky grin

2 Likes

Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Tudor6(f): 12:10am On Jun 20, 2009
Years of boxing must have knocked out his brain.
$20 million! Am sure the likes of adeboye and oyedepo will be lamenting ''kai! See mugu wey i for don chop!''

1 Like

Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by debosky(m): 12:14am On Jun 20, 2009
What is the import of this post?

Did he forget to pay his mortgage or couldn't afford to pay it? What happened to the rest of his income (after all, tithe is just 10%) ?

It is up to every individual to decide what to do with his/her funds - does the government say don't pay tax till you've paid your mortgage bill?

1 Like

Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by sosisi(f): 12:19am On Jun 20, 2009
debosky:

Did he forget to pay his mortgage or couldn't afford to pay it? What happened to the rest of his income (after all, tithe is just 10%) ?

It is up to every individual to decide what to do with his/her funds - does the government say don't pay tax till you've paid your mortgage bill?

Ara ga agba ndi ara
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 3:51am On Jun 20, 2009
debosky:

John Barr: “You would pay your tithe before you would pay your own house payment?”

Evander Holyfield: “(nodding head) Because I know that tithe, me paying that tithe, it’s going to better me off in the long run.”

that's the point of the post.

i know you didn't just compare a government tax to tithing.

members of the early church sold their properties to support one another. members of modern prosperity churches love-vendor themselves out to bless the likes of creflo dollar.

[img]http://theblacksentinel.files./2007/11/cropped-big-dollar.jpg[/img]

God is good
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by SeanT21(f): 3:59am On Jun 20, 2009
I hope Creflo Dollar give him some money to help his financial situation.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 4:03am On Jun 20, 2009
SeanT21:

I hope Creflo Dollar give him some money to help his financial situation.

lol. there's a better chance Osama wins a Noble peace prize.

Evander Holyfield is also behind in Child support payments and a possible IRS tax lien.

All this while being a dedicated tithe payer.

May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Uche2nna(m): 4:04am On Jun 20, 2009
Am I missing the essence of this thread?  undecided

R u saying that he went broke because he paid his tithes?  undecided
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 4:06am On Jun 20, 2009
Uche2nna:

Am I missing the essence of this thread?  undecided

R u saying that he went broke because he paid his tithes?  undecided

Nope he continues to pay his tithes while in debt.

His so called pastor basically refuses to be part of his divorce case or getting the man to work on his financial situation.

This is a pastor who emphasizes tithes rather than the well being of his congregation.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by kolaoloye(m): 10:42am On Jun 22, 2009
Paying of tithe couldn't have made him broke.Tithe is just 10% of your income.
The logic is very simple :"You don't earn you don't pay"
Maybe he was cajoled to give more than necessary. May God help us.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by KunleOshob(m): 12:10pm On Jun 22, 2009
This is evidence that tithing really works grin grin grin
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Tudor6(f): 12:44pm On Jun 22, 2009
@kunle
works for the pastor you mean. . .

Is it just me or the pastor has two dollar symbols on his collar shocked
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by toneyb: 1:02pm On Jun 22, 2009
The pastors name is Creflo Dollars grin
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Tonyet1(m): 1:13pm On Jun 22, 2009
why on earth do peeps think tithing is wrong? ya'll are busy criticising Holyfield for paying tithe, whats wrong in it i ask?

tithing is a spiritual thing that cannot and i repeat cannot be understood by the carnal mind, Bible admonishes us to honor, which means we are espected to show honor in just about everything we have which include our food, our clothing, our money, our family

if you criticise him, then what will ya'll say about

1. Abraham whom God asked to sacrifice HIS ONLY SON who he loved

(Gen.22:16-17-* And said, I have sworn by Myself, says the Lord, that since you have done this and have not withheld [from Me] or begrudged [giving Me] your son, your only son,

17 In blessing I will bless you and in multiplying I will multiply your descendants like the stars of the heavens and like the sand on the seashore. And your Seed (Heir) will possess the gate of His enemies,AMP )

: : : : what was the outcome for abraham, did he lose the child? i ask

2. Elijah asking the widow from Zarephath to give him all she ever had to eat

(1Kgs.17:16 - The jar of meal was not spent nor did the bottle of oil fail, according to the word which the Lord spoke through Elijah AMP)

: : : : what was the outcome for the widow, did she lost all she had to eat? i ask

3. Solomon gave God about the best sacrifice any mortal can ever offer God

(1kgs.3:5- God said "solomon what shall i givce you?"wink

: : : : what happened next was that Solomon received the secrets to the greatest wisdom on earth

4. Peter offered his boat as a platform for Christ to preach on, and what happened in the end? (Luke.5:7)

: : : : Peter caught so much a great amount of fish that his net broke

i can go on and on

now look at the one who refused to act according to christ's instruction

1. read Mark.10:25 , the young dude came to Jesus to seek eternal life, he was willing to givce his life, but when asked to share his money, he refused and went back disappointed

the problem with our Christians these days are that we all want to serve God, but our money is a no go area, they say love is sharing, i often wonder if one says he loves another then why cant he give his all, remember Bible said "God loved the world that he gave his only. . ."

my opinion :|

Give God even you last dine, and let him do His part, God has never changed or failed anyone who dared Him, He said

" test me this day if i (God) will not open the heavens and shower down blessings on you"

" i am God, i give you the power to make wealth"

" is there anything too difficult for me?" and on and on

i repeat again, tithing aint for everyone, but for the spirituals
1 Corinthians 2:14

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
NIV

remember whosoever keepth his life[belongings] shall lose it, but whosoever giveth it out for my sake(christ) shall find it - (Matt.10:39)
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by JJYOU: 1:23pm On Jun 22, 2009
KunleOshob:

This is evidence that tithing really works grin grin grin
trust u to say something as daft as that.
$osisi:

Ara ga agba ndi ara
madam translate biko

1 Like

Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 22, 2009
bawomolo:

Nope he continues to pay his tithes while in debt.

His so called pastor basically refuses to be part of his divorce case or getting the man to work on his financial situation.

This is a pastor who emphasizes tithes rather than the well being of his congregation.

Not everyone that calls "Lord, Lord" will get into the kingdom of God. The fact that Evander Holyfield tithes and makes it public that he tithes does not mean that his tithe is acceptable to God. Check out the story of Cain and Abel. There are unacceptable sacrifices.

bawomolo mentioned divorce in that quote. Does anyone or even Holyfield know what Jesus said about divorce? We cannot continue in sin and expect grace to increase, so the Bible says.

I'm not judging him, because I know next to nothing about him, or even wrestling for that matter. I'm just saying people should stop running their mouths about tithing and stuff like that, because this guy's a celebrity, and the public only knows as much as the celebrity wants them to know. Only God knows what His relationship with any man is like, and only Him knows why Holyfield's "tithing" "isn't working."
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by KunleOshob(m): 1:47pm On Jun 22, 2009
mactao:

Not everyone that calls "Lord, Lord" will get into the kingdom of God. The fact that Evander Holyfield tithes and makes it public that he tithes does not mean that his tithe is acceptable to God. Check out the story of Cain and Abel. There are unacceptable sacrifices.

bawomolo mentioned divorce in that quote. Does anyone or even Holyfield know what Jesus said about divorce? We cannot continue in sin and expect grace to increase, so the Bible says.

I'm not judging him, because I know next to nothing about him, or even wrestling for that matter. I'm just saying people should stop running their mouths about tithing and stuff like that, because this guy's a celebrity, and the public only knows as much as the celebrity wants them to know. Only God knows what His relationship with any man is like, and only Him knows why Holyfield's "tithing" "isn't working."

On the contrary it is not only Holyfield's tithing that is not working but virtually evry other "christian" that tithes. Despite all the claims that tithers make it is quite glaring that none tithers are actually better off and blessed than tithers.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by debosky(m): 1:50pm On Jun 22, 2009
bawomolo:

that's the point of the post.
So what if he chooses to do that? The pertinent question would be how much [/i]is the house payment and[i] how much is the tithes he is paying?

Would it make a material difference if he didn't pay tithes??

i know you didn't just compare a government tax to tithing.
Yes I did. In dollars and cents terms (not religious) , tithe is simply another deduction from the salary. If he chooses to make it a 'first line' charge, by how much does that reduce his ability to pay his bills?

members of the early church sold their properties to support one another. members of modern prosperity churches love-vendor themselves out to bless the likes of creflo dollar.

And you have evidence that all of the money goes to Creflo right? You know everything creflo does for less privileged members of society? Talk is cheap.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Tonyet1(m): 2:12pm On Jun 22, 2009
@KunleOshod,

Brother wat makes you really think that does who pay tithe aint blessed as it is portrayed

i pay my tithe, and if i start here by explaining God's blessings you will be amazed

to me titheing aint for everyone, so if i pay and another doesnt feel like paying. . hmmm fine!
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by KunleOshob(m): 2:52pm On Jun 22, 2009
tonye-t:

@KunleOshod,

Brother wat makes you really think that does who pay tithe aint blessed as it is portrayed

i pay my tithe, and if i start here by explaining God's blessings you will be amazed

to me titheing aint for everyone, so if i pay and another doesnt feel like paying. . hmmm fine!

The truth is that God/christ requires NO tithes from us and it was smuggled into christianity as a result of twisted scripture. and that is why God would NEVER ascribe any special blessings to tithers becos God did not send them message. If you are doing well in life it is not beocs you are tithing there are billions of us all over the world who don't tithe and we are still being blessed.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Tonyet1(m): 3:10pm On Jun 22, 2009
KunleOshob:

The truth is that God/christ requires NO tithes from us and it was smuggled into christianity as a result of twisted scripture. and that is why God would NEVER ascribe any special blessings to tithers becos God did not send them message. If you are doing well in life it is not beocs you are tithing there are billions of us all over the world who don't tithe and we are still being blessed.

getting blessed is not the issue here, but is God really behind the blessing? is the question, to me titheing is a act to honor God who gave you and not an occasion to be blessed even though he (God) still ascribed blessing to it

let me ask you my brother some few questions:

1. what do you understand is the difference btw a govt.tax and a tithe?

2. what is the purpose for taxing people?

3. if some thieves (politicians or those in the elm of affairs) steal this govt.tax and enrich their empires and pockets ,does it mean govt. taxes should not still be paid?

4. why do they punish deaulter of tax pyments

answer these few questions and we can both start from here - God bless you bro
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
including those pastors who ask you to "give" by credit card.  grin

I always wondered why pple could be so wicked . . . asking someone to "give" on credit?
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by ogajim(m): 3:43pm On Jun 22, 2009
Evander obviously took too many punches to the head and as such might not be able to study the Bible properly to see that "sowing a seed", "offering" don't just mean money and that tithe is not really Christian.
Credit card is money you don't have and no real "Pastor" will preach that you give "offering" on something you don't have unless he is serving a different a different God than the one I know and should be called "ole/barawo" instead of pastor.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by KunleOshob(m): 4:38pm On Jun 22, 2009
tonye-t:

getting blessed is not the issue here, but is God really behind the blessing? is the question, to me titheing is a act to honor God who gave you and not an occasion to be blessed even though he (God) still ascribed blessing to it

let me ask you my brother some few questions:

1. what do you understand is the difference btw a govt.tax and a tithe?

2. what is the purpose for taxing people?

3. if some thieves (politicians or those in the elm of affairs) steal this govt.tax  and enrich their empires and pockets ,does it mean govt. taxes should not still be paid?

4. why do they punish deaulter of tax pyments

answer these few questions and we can both start from here - God bless you bro

Whilst i agree with you that it is good to honour God with our money Jesus never taught us to do this through tithing or giving to the church the passage below descibes how Jesus instructed we give to him/God. I would rather follw the teachings of christ than twisted doctrine being preached from the pulpit by mere men.

Matthew 25:31-40:

The Final Judgment

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by JJYOU: 4:49pm On Jun 22, 2009
KunleOshob:

Whilst i agree with you that it is good to honour God with our money Jesus never taught us to do this through tithing or giving to the church the passage below descibes how Jesus instructed we give to him/God. I would rather follw the teachings of christ than twisted doctrine being preached from the pulpit by mere men.

Matthew 25:31-40:

The Final Judgment

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

kunle and his slow poison religion. is this the scripture you will be using to con your own set of people? so it is good to give you as brethren but not as church?
‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me
you must know there was a sect in the 70s called the brethren go check their records and see how they abused lives, trust and money.

i can see you becoming nigeria's answer to waco, texas. this is how you all start
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by Tonyet1(m): 5:09pm On Jun 22, 2009
@Kunle Oshod

brother you have not answered my questions
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by tkb417(m): 5:28pm On Jun 22, 2009

orisirisi

so if he wasnt paying his tithe, he wouldnt be broke embarassed

someone makes a million and he pays a 100,000 as tithe and someone is telling me he got broke for paying 100,00 ?
am i slow?

what about the 900,000?
what happened to it?

whats the difference between 900k and 1 milla
he who will go broke with a milla will be broke with 1.5milla

abegggi
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2009

And you have evidence that all of the money goes to Creflo right? You know everything creflo does for less privileged members of society? Talk is cheap.

yeah creflo dollar is a philanthropist. please.

Creflo dollar till this day refuses to release his churches financial records.

So what if he chooses to do that? The pertinent question would be how much is the house payment and how much is the tithes he is paying?

that isn't the pertinent question.  Holyfield believes God would provide because he pays his tithes but has is tithing payed for.  Why is creflo dollar hoarding tithes meant for the church body?

Would it make a material difference if he didn't pay tithes??

well it would.  that  7 mulla back and holyfield is out of debt and can pay his child support payments.

paying tithes over the well being of you children and your finances?
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2009
including those pastors who ask you to "give" by credit card. Grin

I always wondered why pple could be so wicked . . . asking someone to "give" on credit?

are you serious?

this can't be true.

credit card pimping.
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by tkb417(m): 6:00pm On Jun 22, 2009
so if you pay tithes and use the remaining 90% on drugs, God will provide for you? grin grin grin grin

nice attempt at being funny
undiluted baloney
Re: Now Bankrupt Evander Holyfield Paid His Tithes But Forgot About His Mortage by bawomolo(m): 6:02pm On Jun 22, 2009
do you know the preaching of creflo dollar or are you just being an attention LovePeddler?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Name A Yoruba Worship Song You Can't Stop Singing / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? / How Atheism Fails To Explain A Beginning To The Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.