Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal (4982 Views)

Oil Prices Fall Following Iran Nuclear Deal / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants / Nigeria, Russia Partner On Nuclear Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 1:47am On Jun 20, 2009
Nigeria and Russia are to sign a nuclear energy cooperation accord next Wednesday when President Dmitry Medvedev becomes the first Kremlin leader to visit Nigeria, officials said.
A joint venture between Russian oil and gas giant Gasprom and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) will also be signed during the one day visit, Nigerian presidential spokesman Olusegun Adeniyi said, hailing what he called a "historic" visit by Medvedev.
"It will be the first ever visit by the head of state of the Russian Federation to Nigeria," said Adeniyi.
Adeniyi said the nuclear agreement "is for cooperation in the peaceful use of nuclear energy especially for the purpose of electricity."
Russia and Nigeria signed an agreement on March 18 this year to cooperate in building nuclear reactors in the West African country and jointly explore for uranium.
The protocol "foresees the possibility of bilateral cooperation for the development of Nigeria's nuclear infrastructure" and the "joint exploration and exploitation of uranium deposits," Russia's nuclear energy agency Rosatom said.
Nigeria believes there is "much to gain from closer ties with Russia given its oil and gas industry," the spokesman said.
Russia's envoy to Nigeria, Alexander Polyakov, said Medvedev was invited by President Umaru Yar'Adua following talks on the sidelines of the Group of Eight (G8) industrialised powers in Japan last year.
Polyakov said "international issues would be on the agenda but primarily, the visit would be about bilateral cooperation. We would like to give a very strong political impetus to our interraction in different fields.
"First of all in the area of economy and investment awe would aim to bring the Russian /Nigerian partnership to a completely new level. Maybe it can be in strategic partnership," he said.
Polyakov said Gasprom chief executive Alexei Miller was expected to accompany Medvedev on the one-day visit.
"Other potential areas of cooperation will also be discussed, including military and technical cooperation," said the diplomat, who added that there was already "huge" and growing cooperation between the two countries.
Polyakov quoted Nigerian statistics as saying that the volume of bilateral trade went past 1.5 billion dollars last year and was still rising this year despite the economic crisis.

Thisday.com
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Beaf: 1:56am On Jun 20, 2009
Hmmmm. Will a single nuclear reactor be located in the north or will there be a spread like there is for refineries? I smell some politics out of this.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 2:01am On Jun 20, 2009
one in the north
one in the west
one in the east
one in south south
least i forget one for becomerich grin
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bashali: 2:03am On Jun 20, 2009
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 2:06am On Jun 20, 2009
And say yes to USA hummmmmmmmm the imperalist
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by OgidiBoy(m): 2:08am On Jun 20, 2009
Nigeria can't even maintain a freaking hydro electric power generator it's Nuclear power the now want to go into. I just pray if the build the plant, it's in a  very remote area where it won't kill folks if they ever have a disaster.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bashali: 2:12am On Jun 20, 2009
I think some people need to go do medical brain test now. What nonsense. Nigerian should say no to russia and no to nuclear power. who do they want to kill. OR else nigeria should be ready to remove even govt if Russia near the soil of nigeria.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Beaf: 2:14am On Jun 20, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Nigeria can't even maintain a freaking hydro electric power generator it's Nuclear power the now want to go into. I just pray if the build the plant, it's in a  very remote area where it won't kill folks if they ever have a disaster.

When oil pollution never kill us? Let them build the things so we can have dependable electricity supply.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by naijaking1: 2:16am On Jun 20, 2009
bombay:

And say yes to USA hummmmmmmmm the imperalist
That's wrong. Every country contracted to build infrastructures for developing countries like Nigeria becomes imperialistic to an extent. Even India and China could become imperialistic too. Our experience with Russia should not be forgotten, otherwise any mistakes will be repeated.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by OgidiBoy(m): 2:20am On Jun 20, 2009
bashali:

I think some people need to go do medical brain test now. What nonsense. Nigerian should say no to russia and no to nuclear power. who do they want to kill. OR else nigeria should be ready to remove even govt if Russia near the soil of nigeria.

[size=15pt]
OgidiBoy:

Nigeria can't even maintain a freaking hydro electric power generator it's Nuclear power the now want to go into. I just pray if the build the plant, it's in a very remote area where it won't kill folks if they ever have a disaster.[/size]

Dude you an Idiot for real, do you even understand basic English ? GO BACK AND READ my post and you will understand I'm against building a Nuclear plant in Nigeria. Please read folks post and try to comprehend before you start throwing insults OK. D.i.c.k face
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 2:25am On Jun 20, 2009
Please no insults here o abeg o respect yourself or else i go send mend to come mend you o.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 2:29am On Jun 20, 2009
They have constant power supply in russia don't they so that solves the problem.It is now left for us to look after it.They build and they go.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 2:39am On Jun 20, 2009
Becomerich they will give you one nuclear plant just to appease you. grin
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by OgidiBoy(m): 2:41am On Jun 20, 2009
bombay:

Please no insults here o abeg o respect yourself or else i go send mend to come mend you o.

Send all your worri boys come and I'll destroy them with my pinky finger keep talking and I'll ask them to build a nuclear plant right in your backyardgrin grin
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 2:46am On Jun 20, 2009
Thats the spirit cheesy
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 12:33pm On Jun 20, 2009
Long overdue.
However,it should not be politicised.
For the guy who said Russia tech is not good,follow facts.
That your leaders failed to make Ajeokuta steel work does not mean they aint good.
For those who are afraid,its the best new way forward-others are engaging in it,we too can;YES WE CAN.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by toshacer: 12:34pm On Jun 20, 2009
with these responses - I pity Nigeria. Any developmental effort is either sneered at or politicised or tribalised or written off b4 inception, which way Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by hajifaty: 12:47pm On Jun 20, 2009
Well, I think it will be nice to have russian or chinese nuclear reactor for electric powers. These are the pple that a country like ours ( Nigeria ) can rely on.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bigben3: 12:56pm On Jun 20, 2009
Is the Russian President visit a compensation for President Obama shunning Nigeria for Ghana's visit What a set of unserious people
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Lips1: 1:07pm On Jun 20, 2009
tosh_acer:

with these responses - I pity Nigeria. Any developmental effort is either sneered at or politicised or tribalised or written off b4 inception, which way Nigeria.

This is so true!

some people are even comdeming the entire north for this decision. y is it that some people are so quick to condem the north? the WHOLE OF NIGERIA is problematic. 8 years of Olusegun Obasanjo still has not tought u that a southern leader can be just as bad??

One of the reasons i had faith in a brighter nigeria is cuz i always thought this generation of nigerian youth would not be as petty as previous generations (considering tribal issues) but the longer i stay on NL the more disappointed i get.

@ post- the issue to be worried about is maintainance of the plant. as someone stated, we cant even maintain a hydro plant talk more of a nuclear one! i must admit, in my opinion its a scary and perhaps unreasonable decision to make.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Builder: 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2009
Now this is a very scary thought, Russia about to turn nigeria to their nuclear waste dumping ground, we all knew what china did to our satelite program. God help us . this countries don see mumu country do business with
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by fyneguy: 1:35pm On Jun 20, 2009
Some people have been configured (smiley )not to see anything good in anything
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 20, 2009
America is gradually losing its grip on Africa, Nigeria to be precise.
China is now the main player in Nigeria.

with this development, i see the americans grumbling.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by redsun(m): 2:17pm On Jun 20, 2009
Nuclear deal in a country that can't clean her streets,misplaced and misconceived priorities as always.Crazy bald heads.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Litmus: 2:33pm On Jun 20, 2009
Sometime high technology offers the best hope for "primitive" places.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by archemedes: 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2009
Nuclear plant is really the cheapest and most reliable source of power we can ever think of but the state of Nigeria, management and maintenance culture, does not welcome the running of a nuclear reactor. I have reviewed the deccommissioning of at least five nuclear plants, UK, Germany, USSR, Canada and US, and I can categorically say that Nigeria is very close to extinction if they ever welcome this technology at the level of corruption, bureaucracy and carelessness in the manegement of public infrastructures in the country.
I can confirm to you that the devastating effect of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Accident in USSR was felt in as far as USA, the UK phase 1 and 2 deccommissioning which I worked on was feared would lead to death in Ireland, though it was successfully deccommissioned.
Furthermore, the canadian Three Mile Island deccommisioning was catastrophic leading to the death of many after the Govt spent about $978million and we know how bad our present Govt is in dispensing funds for public use.
Please before any of you make blind arguement, I advise you do a little research about nuclear reactors and their technical mentainance requirements. Nigeria is not ripe for that. You can as well read about the failed reactors in US and Germany to understand the level of radioactive exposure our Govt is about to expose us to in the case of minor fault. May God help us
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by redsun(m): 3:08pm On Jun 20, 2009
Life is hierarchical.If we can't manage the basic power generating resources that we have in abundance,how can we cope with nuclear?
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by redsun(m): 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2009
Sometimes i even think we are not yet mentally develop to even drive because we don't seem to know what the mechanisms of driving are.The world is energy in motion,we got to consciously tap into it and revolve in like cyclone.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Horus(m): 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2009
And what about storage of nuclear waste in Nigeria? shocked
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by okokomeji: 3:39pm On Jun 20, 2009
@Big-Pen, I think you are right, it's like a compensation. I think we need to embrace nuclear technology, it's just the panacea to solve all our problems. If electricity is stable the rest will follow.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Skywalker5(m): 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2009
Most Nigerians will always criticize everything that is of benefit to the nation. I can see some here
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by omobachi(m): 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2009
this is a welcome development, but the tot of bad maintenance culture in nigeria can be scary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Proofreading And Editing Services In Nigeria ! / Why Can’t The Government Just Print More Money? / Ifeanyi Ubah's Mansion On Display As Explorer Magazine Paid Visit - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.