Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal (4981 Views)

Oil Prices Fall Following Iran Nuclear Deal / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants / Nigeria, Russia Partner On Nuclear Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by sleekp1: 2:11am On Jun 22, 2009
tosh_acer wrote:

with these responses - I pity Nigeria. Any developmental effort is either sneered at or politicised or tribalised or written off b4 inception, which way Nigeria.

fyneguy wrote:

Some people have been configured not to see anything good in anything

The above two posts illustrates my thoughts about Nairaland and Nigerians.

I've forgotten who said "opinions are like arse-holes, everybody has one".
Some Nigerians need's to be stripped of the right to speak on a public forum.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by sulazzi: 3:02am On Jun 22, 2009
Do this people want to kill us ? Despite the merits of having a nuclear power plant, we have to look at the downside: inability to properly store nuclear waste, mismanagement of govt property which might ultimately lead to anoda chernobyl disaster. Nigerians LOOK BEFORE U LEAP ! ! !
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by sashbaby(f): 9:59am On Jun 22, 2009
@kenezi i should be asking you that. i think you are really dumb and out of tune with nigerian situation.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 22, 2009
Nuclear deal? do they want to orchestrate the 3rd world war Na wao, we no go sit down for one place.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by ScanLess: 11:52am On Jun 22, 2009
Nuclear technology has a lot of obvious advantages over all other forms electric power generation, the first time a feasibility study was done for a nuclear plant in Nigeria was in the late 70s, i remember Onitsha or Lokoja was penned down as possible locations for the plant. well most things in naija it never saw the light of the day.

What bothers me with this renewed interest in nuclear technology are serious issues we are not looking at very well and they quite ominous

1. PHCN and their father Never-Expect-Power-Always have shown us that they are not to be entrusted with anything of value as they only wreck it with mismanagement, it is so shameful that PHCN offices across the country use generators to work. what a shame can we trust them to run a nuclear power plant when they cant properly install a small transformer for my neighbourhood.
2. Assuming we let the Russians run the plant, can we trust them not to extract plutonium for nukes and give to their retarded boyfriend Iran. this will be a very good cover up for Iran.
3.What if MEND says "hell, you guys want to use our oil money and build nukes to further subjugate us". attacking oil installations is not as half dangerous as attacking a nuclear facility o o o !!
4.Where will this plant or plant be built, you can bet that the rest of country will cry foul when one region gets a plant and they dont, with the way naija is right now unless all the six regions get one plant each simultaneously, there will be no peace.
5.is this just about power generation or has the northern hegemony joined their retarded brothers in the new axis of evil; Russia-Iran-North Korea-Al Queda-Islamic Jihad in their nuclear arms race. All these things are now being done in the name of Nigeria, but we all know that Nigeria in reality belongs only to the Northern Hegemony.
6. Another excellent opportunity for looting and chopping has appeared for the abuja tribe. they have not told us what became of the power probe , now they want to embark on another spend thrift in the name nuclear power plants. will the same virus that knocked out NEPA/PHCN not destroy naija finally with this nuclear thing.

people we need to answer these burning issues b/4 we accept or reject this new deal
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by ziga: 2:12pm On Jun 22, 2009
ScanLess:

Nuclear technology has a lot of obvious advantages over all other forms electric power generation, the first time a feasibility study was done for a nuclear plant in Nigeria was in the late 70s, i remember Onitsha or Lokoja was penned down as possible locations for the plant. well most things in naija it never saw the light of the day.

What bothers me with this renewed interest in nuclear technology are serious issues we are not looking at very well and they quite ominous

1. PHCN and their father Never-Expect-Power-Always have shown us that they are not to be entrusted with anything of value as they only wreck it with mismanagement, it is so shameful that PHCN offices across the country use generators to work. what a shame can we trust them to run a nuclear power plant when they cant properly install a small transformer for my neighbourhood.
2. Assuming we let the Russians run the plant, can we trust them not to extract plutonium for nukes and give to their retarded boyfriend Iran. this will be a very good cover up for Iran.
3.What if MEND says "hell, you guys want to use our oil money and build nukes to further subjugate us". attacking oil installations is not as half dangerous as attacking a nuclear facility o o o !!
4.Where will this plant or plant be built, you can bet that the rest of country will cry foul when one region gets a plant and they dont, with the way naija is right now unless all the six regions get one plant each simultaneously, there will be no peace.
5.is this just about power generation or has the northern hegemony joined their retarded brothers in the new axis of evil; Russia-Iran-North Korea-Al Queda-Islamic Jihad in their nuclear arms race. All these things are now being done in the name of Nigeria, but we all know that Nigeria in reality belongs only to the Northern Hegemony.
6. Another excellent opportunity for looting and chopping has appeared for the abuja tribe. they have not told us what became of the power probe , now they want to embark on another spend thrift in the name nuclear power plants. will the same virus that knocked out NEPA/PHCN not destroy naija finally with this nuclear thing.

people we need to answer these burning issues b/4 we accept or reject this new deal

Scanless,

Thank you for your contribution. We need to look at the advantages and potential problems before embarking on such a project, before deciding if it is possible to achieve or not.

To all my fellow countrymen, we need to know the exact plans and how it is being carried out rather than judging blindly that it will be a faliure.

Nigeria is very talented and if we want to we can do things the right way.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by sashbaby(f): 2:20pm On Jun 22, 2009
nobody is judging blindly.antecedents have shown that the nigerian government CAN NOT AND WILL NOT maintain capital projects.huge resources are dedicated to laudable projects and as you KNOW it,it goes down the drain.where did monies allocated to POWER,RAILWAY SYSTEM,THE INFAMOUS SATELLITE LUNCH AND THE BUILDING OF REFINERIES, THE SO CALLED REBRANDING OF NIGERIA ETC GO.PLEASE WE HAVE TO BE REALISTIC.THEY SHOULD STOP WASTING OUR RESOURCES.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by hilli666(m): 2:59pm On Jun 22, 2009
Bunch of Illiterate political leaders + A majority illiterate and poor population + Nuclear reactor = The next big catastrophie - assistance from the west = HUMANITARIAN CRISES
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by omar22(m): 3:26pm On Jun 22, 2009
Long overdue.
However,it should not be politicised.
For the guy who said Russia tech is not good,follow facts.
That your leaders failed to make Ajeokuta steel work does not mean they aint good.
For those who are afraid,its the best new way forward-others are engaging in it,we too can;YES WE CAN.

The refinery in Kaduna (then it was the forth biggest in the world built by Shagari was Russian Tech, but typical Nigerian thinking!!! asking the japanese to service and maintain the project, in the act of embezzlement of MKO
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nezan(m): 5:06pm On Jun 22, 2009
hilli666:

Bunch of Illiterate political leaders + A majority illiterate and poor population + Nuclear reactor = The next big catastrophie - assistance from the west = HUMANITARIAN CRISES
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Elgaxton(m): 11:31am On Jun 23, 2009
Abeg make dem come jo, we no dey serious here
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by dnex(m): 1:59pm On Jun 23, 2009
A Heavy Water Nuclear Reactor has been running in Ahmadu Bello University for over 8 years now and there has been no incident.

South Africa started building their nuclear power plants and at the same time developed nuclear weapons, but in the mid 1990's they disarmed and ended their nuclear weapons program yet still continue to sustain their electricity by nuclear technology. So it is clear that a country can produce nuclear power without being interested in nuclear weapons. The UN and IAEA agree that every once in a while, China that has partnered with South Africa on their nuclear power generation program will come in to evacuate all enriched uranium and weaponizeable nuclear materials to China. Now if China decides to sell that enriched nuclear material to Korea, Iran, Brazil or Egypt, it is their own headache. South Africa has done her due.

When president Umaru Musa Yar'Adua came into the Presidency in 2007, he had a fantasy of providing abundant electricity for Nigerians through the cheapest means available today; Nuclear technology. What he failed the understand were the diplomatic hurdles, the allegiances and the politics attached to Nuclear Power Generation. When he first mentioned his nuclear Nigeria plan at a world summit in 2007 the resulting outcry brought his mentality to home and now I see he's beginning to learn the ropes.

The areas which I feel will be best to locate nuclear power plants are basically those areas which have natural uranium ore: Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Plateau, Bauchi.
Then Kogi because It's always been a power generating state. Sokoto, Bornu, Ogun, Adamawa and Niger because they have large land area with a sparse population and they're close to the borders, being that Nigeria has always been a power exporting nation.

A final note is that the countries which are against developing nations acquiring nuclear power are those industrialized exporters. They know that with stable power, we'll be industrialized, importing less from them.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nezan(m): 6:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
Make dem come site am 4 my village grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by ScanLess: 5:40pm On Jun 24, 2009
dnex:

A Heavy Water Nuclear Reactor has been running in Ahmadu Bello University for over 8 years now and there has been no incident.

so who built and is operating this reactor, Russian or Nigerian lecturers grin grin , why cant they be used for this new one that they are looking for Russian scientist to come and build and run?. why is this reactor not being used remove the present shame from NEPA/PHCN and you say this is 8yrs old, bros i doubt what you are saying, pls post some evidence.

South Africa started building their nuclear power plants and at the same time developed nuclear weapons, but in the mid 1990's they disarmed and ended their nuclear weapons program yet still continue to sustain their electricity by nuclear technology. So it is clear that a country can produce nuclear power without being interested in nuclear weapons. The UN and IAEA agree that every once in a while, China that has partnered with South Africa on their nuclear power generation program will come in to evacuate all enriched uranium and weaponizeable nuclear materials to China. Now if China decides to sell that enriched nuclear material to Korea, Iran, Brazil or Egypt, it is their own headache. South Africa has done her due.
i totally disagree with that kind of arrangement, b/c what is bad for the goose is also bad for the gander. all the weapons grade material generated from running the reactor should be converted to harmless materials or left in the custody of the country that generate them. no country should be allowed to carry on with the production of nukes while using materials from others who are barred from the same weapons production. so Russia will come and collect the weapons grade materials from our reactor and continue rolling out nukes or WTF are they doing with it , on the other hand they tell us not to arm up , that's double standard and its unacceptable, are they not supposed to be destroying the ones they have built?

When president Umaru Musa Yar'Adua came into the Presidency in 2007, he had a fantasy of providing abundant electricity for Nigerians through the cheapest means available today; Nuclear technology. What he failed the understand were the diplomatic hurdles, the allegiances and the politics attached to Nuclear Power Generation. When he first mentioned his nuclear Nigeria plan at a world summit in 2007 the resulting outcry brought his mentality to home and now I see he's beginning to learn the ropes.

still contradicts the first statement about an 8yr old reactor in ABU.

The areas which I feel will be best to locate nuclear power plants are basically those areas which have natural uranium ore: Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Plateau, Bauchi.
Then Kogi because It's always been a power generating state. Sokoto, Bornu, Ogun, Adamawa and Niger because they have large land area with a sparse population and they're close to the borders, being that Nigeria has always been a power exporting nation.

What you should consider b/4 siting a reactor is abundance of water, uranium can be mined elsewhere and transported to the location,(can even be purchased from outside the country) but without water the plant wont work, and when you are talking of power generation for a whole country you need a river not borehole. i still agree with the people that recommended Onitsha and Lokoja.

A final note is that the countries which are against developing nations acquiring nuclear power are those industrialized exporters. They know that with stable power, we'll be industrialized, importing less from them.
it is more of defense issue rather than industrialization, Nigeria is currently wasting a heartbreaking amount of natural gas every year through flaring, about three of them are visible from where i am sitting and typing this. go to some parts of Rivers state that use gas turbine like Omoku their power is better than the other parts of the state. so we can use what we already have to get what we want , rather than waiting for nuclear technology.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by philip0906(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
Nuclear Deal?R u sure these people r not mentally IMPOTENT?so will d nuclear deal bring constant electricity supply,3 square meal,security nd d rest of em to Nigerians?  I suspect dat it is in preparation  for 2020.so dat if they wake up 4rm their dreams and d VISION they have been seeing is not accomplished and NIGERIANS go and protest,they will unleash d thing on us. shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by namun(f): 10:52pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ARCHEMEDES, I MUST say you are someone who is highly intelligent. your comment on this issue shows THAT YOU ARE EXPOSED, INTELLIGENT AND KNOWLEDGEABLE
WHOEVER SAYS NIGERIA SHOULD BUILD A NUCLEAR PLANT WANTS TO WIPE OUT NIGERIA FOR TRUE.
I DONT MIND IF THE SITUATE ALL THE NUCLEAR PLANTS IN THE NORTH. THEY ARE NOT EVEN USEFUL ANYWAY. IT WOULD TAKE
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nobody: 1:42am On Jun 25, 2009
all that crap about nuclear energy is a ploy ! the russians knew nigerian leaders cannot manage their own teeth properly, their target is our oil and gas products . check out all the eastern european countries , they are all ruined thanks to russia, and now they are here, God help us !
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nwazo(m): 1:45am On Jun 25, 2009
Looks like the runs have begun! Video report of Medvedev touching base in Naija to begin some bizznesss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ztJjam0fc

Oligarch money be coming tongue
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by bombay: 4:24am On Jun 25, 2009
obama can go to hell  grin who needs yankee land of junkies  cool
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Litmus: 9:02am On Jun 25, 2009
Advice to African leaders.

If you don’t mind your people exploited and demoralised seek developmental partnership with America/Europe

If you dont mind your people exploited and cheated seek developmental partnership with Russia and India

If you don’t mind your people gaining but humiliated in the process seek developmental partnership with china

Perhaps this Russia move was in part a nose-thumbing at America exercise on the part of Nigeria but it also hints of a strong move by Nigeria government to exploit and cheat the people. Russians seem unscrupulous people to me, they are pretty racists and dismissive of Africans…I just cannot see anything good coming out of this. I would have been more optimistic of Government good intention, foresight and ability to plan for the future, if it had moved towards China,
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by dnex(m): 9:06am On Jun 25, 2009
The reactor at ABU is experimental. It produces less electricity than can satisfy an entire town. Besides, how you anybody feel if such an experiment is connected to the NEPA grid. Okay O!

If water is the basic requirement for locating a Nuclear Power Plant, how come I don't hear people mentioning Lagos, Rivers and Bayelsa?

Shall it be double standards when Russia comes to evacuate our enriched uranium but not when the USA does? So in other words all the countries utilizing nuclear energy must build nuclear bombs. Hmmm, now I see why Iran and USA will continue to have problems. So all those Eastern European countries that have had nuclear power plants during the Soviet era are currently producing nuclear weapons?

The issue is that Nigerians don't want to appreciate anyone that is real to them. If Nigeria should call the US president to come and discuss ways to cooperate for mutual benefit, Obama won't come. Now we call on Russia and Medvedev is coming down, so we want to run him down. We want to go out in the streets and protest. No wonder we're still here and going nowhere.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by IKEYMAN1: 9:08am On Jun 25, 2009
yarafool

would oga abacha be this stupid for a blackman aka naija man

is this man seekin for headline on world stage or something
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by deb(m): 6:07pm On Jun 25, 2009
NAIJA! any attempted move by their government to better the country will be greeted by criticism
na wah o. As if I don't know some politicians will get richer from this as usual. grin grin grin

Guys let encourage good ideas once in a while
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Digiman(m): 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2009
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8118721.stm

Oh dear this is not so good news. Nigeria is going to get butt raped big time by Russia !

Nigerai wants Nuclear power stations does it ?, what proof does it have to show that it can maintain these stations to the very high standards that are required ?, what is going to happen to the waste products ?.

Chances are if it goes ahead we will see a situation in which the waste products are disposed of carelessly, in habitants on the local community will come in contact with the highly toxic waste and before long well have mutants all over the place lipsrsealed

"Analysts say the move could further strengthen Russia's role in supplying natural gas to Europe." Why can't Nigeria be the country to supply Europe ?, Get Russia to build the infrastructure and pay Russia from the proceed of the sale of the oil and Gas.

Good luck to all of you !!!
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by biopat(m): 3:14am On Jun 26, 2009
They hav been budgeting and eating our money through PHCN.This is their new plot 2 eat and chop.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by FBS: 8:51am On Jun 26, 2009
Litmus:

Advice to African leaders.

If you don’t mind your people exploited and demoralised seek developmental partnership with America/Europe

If you dont mind your people exploited and cheated seek developmental partnership with Russia and India

If you don’t mind your people gaining but humiliated in the process seek developmental partnership with china

Perhaps this Russia move was in part a nose-thumbing at America exercise on the part of Nigeria but it also hints of a strong move by Nigeria government to exploit and cheat the people. [b]Russians seem unscrupulous people to me, they are pretty racists and dismissive of Africans…[/b]I just cannot see anything good coming out of this. I would have been more optimistic of Government good intention, foresight and ability to plan for the future, if it had moved towards China,
you are very correct. . .was watching a report on their president's visits to Nigeria. They aired Y'aradua giving him a key to the city (Abuja) after which they showed Abuja in all its beauty. I was impressed but this did not last long.
The reporter then went on to say this
" No, this is not Nigeria. Far from it." (then on the screen came the slums, dirty places outside the FCT and then he continued)
"And now, this is Nigeria. In all its ramifications"
(Shait, I don't even want to go into details of what he said). 

Correct me please if I'm wrong but if you are looking for a partnership with me, at least courtesy demands you show me some respect. Portray my country in a good light. They were not reporting about poverty in Africa or something. 
The attitude of the reporter/russian news agency only showed that this is no partnership but rather they are doing us a favour. i.e we are not equals.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by whobemumu(m): 8:53am On Jun 28, 2009
The Russian Invasion of Nigeria: The Cry of the Hyena
Written by Dr. Gary K. Busch
Saturday, 27 June 2009 09:33
There’s an old Hausa proverb “The cry of the hyena and the loss of the goat are one”. Nigeria
has been celebrating the arrival of the chief hyena and his pack over the last week and has not
understood that its goats are in mortal danger.
A few days ago the government of Nigeria was host to Dimitry Medvedev, the President of
Russia, and a large delegation of his advisors. While they were meeting they signed a number
of agreements and protocols on nuclear energy, transfer of prisoners, investment promotion and
cooperation on legal matters. They signed a Memorandum of Understanding on co-operation in
the field of exploration of outer space and a joint venture between Nigerian National Petroleum
Corporation (NNPC) and the Russian state gas monopoly Gazprom. There were agreements
made on the takeover by the Russians of the railway project; the renovation of the Ajeokuta
steel mill, and the building of a gas pipeline from the Delta to the North. Further agreements
included the joint venture to exploit Nigeria’s large reserves of uranium.
This sounds as if it will be profitable for Nigeria and will see the massive influx of
developmental cash into the economy. It is a plausible conclusion for anyone to draw who has
no knowledge of the fairly desperate state of the Russian economy. The World Bank has just
issued its Report 19 on Russia the same day that the deals were signed in Abuja. Its highlights
include:
“ Economic and social deterioration in the first five months of 2009 has been deeper than
expected just a few months ago. Real GDP is estimated to have dropped by more than 10
percent, unemployment reached close to 10 percent, and the poverty rate rose dramatically.
* Given a much larger GDP contraction in the first two quarters of 2009 than anticipated,
Russia's economy is now likely to contract by 7.9 percent in 2009, despite higher oil prices
assumed in the current forecast. Most of the adverse impact in Russia is concentrated in the
first two quarters of 2009. Depressed export demand, tight credits, declining investment, and
compressed consumption will remain the major factors of output contraction this year. The
speed of the subsequent recovery in Russia will likely be slow, dependent on the revival of the
global demand and global financial system.
* Looking into the medium term, with the current growth profile, real GDP levels in Russia
will reach the pre-crisis high only at the end of the third quarter of 2012. Thus, economic
recovery is likely to be very gradual and prolonged.
1 / 3
* The financial crisis has significantly worsened not only poverty, but also the entire income
distribution in Russia. A deeper-than-expected drop in real GDP of 7.9 percent in 2009 is
causing huge changes in the composition of wealth and the overall income distribution. The
share of the poor will rise from 13.2 percent before the crisis, to 17.4 percent by year's-end. And
the share of the vulnerable population will increase to 20.9 percent in comparison to 18.3
percent previously (an increase of 3.6 million people).
* The Russian middle class measured in terms of household consumption is likely to shrink -
by about 10 percent - from 55.6 percent to 51.2 percent (a decline of 6.2 million people).( World
Bank's Russian Economic Report No. 19 24/6/09)
On June 22, Russia's rouble-denominated MICEX Index dropped 7.8 percent to 937.98,
bringing its decline since June 1 to 22 percent. The dollar-denominated RTS Index declined by
4.98 percent to 961.04. On the same day the World Bank said it expected the Russian economy
to contract by 7.5 percent this year (www.top.rbc.ru, June 22). The economic crisis is clearly
deepening, since the decline of Russian industrial output accelerated by 17.1 percent in May
compared with 16.9 percent in April. Experts admit that even rising oil prices will hardly help the
inefficient Russian economy.
The much-vaunted Russian recovery plan isn’t working very well despite Medvedev’s
cheerleading. Gazprom is not doing much better. Data from the International Energy Agency
showed last week that Gazprom's market share in Europe and Turkey plunged to 16 percent in
the first quarter of this year, compared with 30 percent last summer. European customers
preferred buying cheaper LNG in spot trading from Gazprom's competitors because contracts
with the Russian company fix prices for pipeline gas to those of oil six to nine months ago, when
it hovered at record-high levels. Russia's reputation as a gas exporter also took a hit in January,
when a dispute over supplies and transit in Ukraine led to widespread shortages throughout
much of Europe. Gazprom exported to Europe just 74 percent of what it planned to in the first
half of this year, or 59.5 billion cubic meters. (Anatoly Medetsky, Moscow Times 25/6/09).
Gazprom has immense reserves of natural gas in the new Sakhalin plants and with the
development of the Stockman gas deposit located in the central part of the Barents Sea. Its
stocks are estimated at 3.2 billion cubic metres of gas and 31 million tonnes of condensate.
Gazprom doesn’t have the resources available to develop its own gas fields on its own and is
desperately trying to set up deals with the oil majors. How is it going to develop Nigeria’s gas
fields? Gazprom is Nigeria’s competitor in the international gas business not its ally. Nigeria
already has five gas trains working producing LNG for which there is a growing market,
especially in Europe trying to avoid the energy blackmail of Russia during its disputes with the
Ukraine.
The NNPC is deluding itself when it rejoices over the Russian (Lukoil) proposed investment in
crude production. Oil Minister Rilwanu Lukman (former OPEC Secretary General) said.
"Nigeria produces 2 million barrels of oil per day. With Russia's help, we hope to double
the output. At the very least, we hope to make it 3 million barrels per day." Lukman
doesn’t mention that current production is 1.05 million barrels a day and falling; nor that Nigeria
is part of OPEC and the notion of OPEC allowing Nigeria to produce 4 million barrels a day is
fanciful at best in this market.
2 / 3
The idea of building a gas pipeline in Nigeria from the Delta to the North is a politically blind
decision. The Delta states have been having a hard enough time getting their 13% derivation
from the Northern bosses for existing production. Setting up a direct gas line from the Delta to
the North is likely to be setting up a permanent target for the Delta militants to attack.
For anyone with a memory Nigeria’s experience with the Russian-built steel mill at Ajeokuta
which was supposed to become the largest metal producing plant in Africa raises many issues,
The building of the steel plant started in 1970 during the Soviet era. The whole project fell apart
in the 1980s and is ‘‘a painful topic in discussions among Nigerian policy experts on
Russian-Nigerian relations’’. (IPS 23/3/09). A brief and unsuccessful interlude with the Indians
did not advance the project so Nigeria is trying “hair of the dog” solution to the failure of
Ajeokuta. This reliance fails to understand the deeply depressed nature of the international iron
and steel industry and the failure of Russian steel mills to thrive or even survive. One of
Russia’s largest steel businesses has just issued a warning of its imminent failure to trade as a
“going concern” As Reuters reported on 25/6/09 “Debt-saddled steel and coking coal producer
Mechel on Wednesday raised major doubts about its future as a going concern. Top Russian
steel producers borrowed more than $30 billion to make acquisitions and increase production
during the precrisis boom, and Mechel is one of the most indebted, with total debt of $5.4 billion
as of Dec. 31. There is substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern,"
the company wrote in a key filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Mechel
has breached covenants on $4.2 billion of loans, forcing it to -reclassify most of its debt as
shirt-term. Are these the people to save Nigeria’s steel business?
Perhaps the only truly positive outcome of this visit is the agreement between Nigeria and
Russia to jointly work on the exploration of space. It will be a wonderful thing if there are
Nigerian cosmonauts who can escape the confines of the planet and search the ether for
Nigeria’s missing satellite.
3 / 3

source : http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3106:the-russian-invasion-of-nigeria-the-cry-of-the-hyena&catid=81:external-contrib&Itemid=300

now tell me the president is as stupid as we thot
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by tunku(m): 2:55pm On Jun 28, 2009
I was about to post that same editorial. At least we aren't a francafrique country, our Leaders are just independently incompetent it would seem.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Kenezi: 3:44pm On Jun 28, 2009
Why complain about it? It's either the Russians or nobody. Like it or not the Nigerian economy has been rising dramatically, and anything to sustain it is welcome.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by manny4life(m): 5:07pm On Jun 28, 2009
A perfect metaphor for a future development in Nigeria. When it all begins to get down, lets just hope Nigeria would be able to break out at least or for the most part speak out. As much as I am not against development, this nuclear stuff ain't gonna go down well. This is what I call a total rip-off, Nigeria just signed her death warrant. If Nigeria seeks growth and development, it should first invest in its Education system, Healthcare Network, encourage Industrial Development, Defense and Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Transportation, and the whole nine yards.

In all, time would only tell if Nigeria benefits positively from all this trade agreements and take overs or the usual rip-off game. I believe Nigeria would be smart enough to rebuke her counterpart should they default per their agreement.
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nezan(m): 5:51pm On Jun 29, 2009
manny4life:

A perfect metaphor for a future development in Nigeria. When it all begins to get down, lets just hope Nigeria would be able to break out at least or for the most part speak out. As much as I am not against development, this nuclear stuff ain't gonna go down well. This is what I call a total rip-off, Nigeria just signed her death warrant. If Nigeria seeks growth and development, it should first invest in its Education system, Healthcare Network, encourage Industrial Development, Defense and Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Transportation, and the whole nine yards.

In all, time would only tell if Nigeria benefits positively from all this trade agreements and take overs or the usual rip-off game. I believe Nigeria would be smart enough to rebuke her counterpart should they default per their agreement.

yes-o
Re: Nigeria–Russia Set To Sign Nuclear Deal by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
i hope they yaradua doesnt bring the yeye reactor close to lagos where i reside, people have forgotten the chenobyl nuclear disaster, Nigeria can't maintain a clean sustainable hydro power or harness the energy from the sun and they are thinking of maintaining a nuclear reactor, and for ya info, a nuclear reactor that goes out of hand becomes a nuclear bomb man, angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Proofreading And Editing Services In Nigeria ! / 30 Tons Chinese Tipping Trucks For Hire In Lagos / Lottery Commission Intensifies Campaign Against Under Age Gaming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.