Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! (9129 Views)

My Roommate Is A Serious Christian, But He Smokes Weed... / If You Are A Christian, But You Don't Tithe, Do You Go To Hell? / My Friend Is a Devoted Christian But Flirts Around (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 12:23pm On Nov 14, 2005
A body without a head is useless.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by alheri(f): 12:51pm On Nov 14, 2005
Let us pray: our father,who art in heaven,hallowed be thy name,thy kingdom come,thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us,and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil,for thy is the kingdom,the power and the glory for ever and ever, AMEN. I want God to forgive me becos i think I have sinned by reading some of ur comments.

Na wa oh.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by CimonJorr(m): 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2005
Please, if u may, could you share with us some of the comments which have offended your soul??

alheri:

Let us pray: our father,who art in heaven,hallowed be thy name,thy kingdom come,thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us,and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil,for thy is the kingdom,the power and the glory for ever and ever, AMEN. I want God to forgive me because i think I have sinned by reading some of your comments.

Na wa oh.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 6:30pm On Nov 14, 2005
goodguy:

A body without a head is useless.

Two heads are better than one.

If a body is led by all of its members, then each one is a head, and all contribute to its well being.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 11:04pm On Nov 14, 2005
If that's the case, why can't everyone just be a normal citizen of a country? Why should there be a president??
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 3:23am On Nov 15, 2005
there is no reason why not.

That is how ancient Greek was. Its not my fault that all current civilizations don't work on the true principle of democracy or communism.

It's like asking me, why isn't everyone a christian - I have no clue why people would still choose not to believe after hearing the good news, doesn't mean that if there was a world where everyone was christian, all things would come to an end.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 3:23am On Nov 15, 2005
ok, I have a clue, but for the purposes of that response to goodguy, I have no clue.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 5:09pm On Nov 15, 2005
allonym:

I have no clue why people would still choose not to believe after hearing the good news,
allonym:

ok, I have a clue
What is the clue??
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 5:16pm On Nov 15, 2005
logically, intellectually, scientifically, there is a very very weak argument for God, and even weaker argument as to why Christians are right, and all other religions are wrong.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 7:40pm On Nov 15, 2005
That's simply the handi-work of the devil. He started by using Charles Darwin to convince the whole world that this earth has no CREATOR. sad
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 7:48pm On Nov 15, 2005
actually, charles darwin did no such thing. He himself never said that his theory indicates that there doesn't exist a creator.

Also, charles darwin is not the author of scientific inquiry or logic.

Finally, this is the tact taken by many churches. . .though not quite the way you worded it. Basically, they say the world is stupid and if they don't want to hear the truth, we're not going to try.

But, lets assume you are correct. Since Charles Darwin has done such an evil thing, why don't YOU - or anyone else give ME a logically, scientifically, or intellectually sound argument for the existence of God.

Guess what, it can't be done.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 8:00pm On Nov 15, 2005
allonym:

actually, charles darwin did no such thing. He himself never said that his theory indicates that there doesn't exist a creator.
Agreed, Charles Darwin never intended to do evil. But his theories have proven otherwise.

allonym:

Also, charles darwin is not the author of scientific inquiry or logic.
Agreed.

But, lets assume you are correct. Since Charles Darwin has done such an evil thing, why don't YOU - or anyone else give ME a logically, scientifically, or intellectually sound argument for the existence of God.

Guess what, it can't be done.
The only sound arguement to prove the existence of God is in the BIBLE. But then, the world has even taken the Bible as a book written by a set of jobless people. So there really is no point arguing. When we all die, we will know the truth.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 8:19pm On Nov 15, 2005
It not so much wrote the bible. It is not the writers of the bible that give it credibility. Even if Einstein wrote the bible, the problems with it would still be the same.

Assumine Einstein writes the bible exactly the way it is now.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2005
If Einstein wrote the BIBLE "under the inspiration of the ALMIGHTY", then you're making the same point as I am.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 8:27pm On Nov 15, 2005
my point is that you cannot blame darwin or other people for the lack of solid arguments for God's existence in the bible.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2005
allonym:

my point is that you cannot blame darwin or other people
I never blamed Charles Darwin. Infact, I commend him for even trying to find out how the earth was created. This was what I said>>>>
goodguy:

That's simply the handi-work of the devil.

allonym:

for the lack of solid arguments for God's existence in the bible.
Who says there are no solid arguments for God's existence in the Bible? I just don't find it necessary to start quoting bible passages since I know you will still argue.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 9:08pm On Nov 15, 2005
i have been going to chruch for over 20 years. I have never heard one.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 9:10pm On Nov 15, 2005
when something requires you to believe in it, that means there is no solid argument for it.

I don't have to believe in my hand, I know it exists. I can solidly prove to you it does.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2005
Oh..I get you now. I actually thot you were arguing against the existence of God. Pls pardon my ignorance. smiley
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2005
smiley no prob
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 12:41am On Nov 16, 2005
goodguy:

I never blamed Charles Darwin. Infact, I commend him for even trying to find out how the earth was created.
He actually never intended to find out how the earth was created. He was looking for an explanation for the diversity of life on this planet. He was looking for a mechanism by which this fact could be explained.

Actually, I have no clue why you need to bring Darwin into this discussion. The Theory of Evolution (which is greatly enhanced and expanded after Darwin's death, by the way) is perfectly consistent with a non-literalist reading of the Bible.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 1:22am On Nov 16, 2005
heh. . .i didn't even want to pursue that angle. .
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Kenya(f): 11:31am On Nov 16, 2005
IAH,

Hey lady, maybe it's a matter of finding a community that you would want to be around.

I'm do not practice Christianity, Yet i believe in Jesus (PBUH). My entire family considers themselves to be Christians and many of them are great, especially my great grandma. When I was younger she made sure all of the children went to church. At a very young age we understood it to be about community building. We were engaged with strengthening the community and their were many protest, outreach, social activities, fundraisers and volunteer thing that we did to be a support to our church and local communities.
Now as an adult i have a strong passion for community work instilled at a very young age.

It is true that the church or Masjid does not determine if you are true or not to your religion. Your faith, knowledge, wisdom and deeds will determine it all in the end.  Yes, Men has tainted the truth for those who can not clearly see.

I do know many people who think that if you do not go to your place of worship that you are going astray. Truth is that they are right to a certain degree, only in the sense that by not attending it increases the chances of Satan to deceive you because the support is not as strong.
So again I think the importance of anyone attending their place of worship is mainly about build, sustaining and protecting the fiber of the community. The other part is being a support system for each other. There are times when we are weak in our faith and our brothers and sisters can help and be a support to us by the grace of G-d. Even though on the final day we will be judged according to our individuals lives and we all have our own relationship with the creator, I still don't think we are supposed to live our religions out on our own. In other words, You can not be a Christian alone and so on. It seems better if we worked together. 

I don't knock your choice but only encourage you to understand more of why the church exists and the role that you  would like to play in it's development Some men Will make you not want to be involved in things because of their ego's and dominate ways, I feel you, but be clear on who you are following and do not allow any man to run you away from G-d or to become closed in with your religious practices.
I'm sure there's someone who felt as you feel right now who may be able to help you within your church or another church.

When in doubt turn to the most high, surly you will receive guidance if you are listening.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Z4M4eva(f): 2:21pm On Nov 16, 2005
How can you say you are a xtian, and not go to church?
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by loveth(f): 3:20pm On Nov 16, 2005
My dear help me to ask that question OOOOOOOOOOOOO lipsrsealed
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 8:47pm On Nov 16, 2005
easy, I am a christian and I don't goto church.

Churchs cannot control who becomes a christian and who doesn't. You don't need a church to be a christian, you need christians to have a church.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 12:32am On Nov 17, 2005
nferyn:

He actually never intended to find out how the earth was created. He was looking for an explanation for the diversity of life on this planet. He was looking for a mechanism by which this fact could be explained.

Actually, I have no clue why you need to bring Darwin into this discussion. The Theory of Evolution (which is greatly enhanced and expanded after Darwin's death, by the way) is perfectly consistent with a non-literalist reading of the Bible.
Thanks for typing.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 10:41am On Nov 17, 2005
goodguy:

Thanks for typing.
My pleasure
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 11:45am On Nov 17, 2005
allonym:

easy, I am a christian and I don't goto church.

Churchs cannot control who becomes a christian and who doesn't. You don't need a church to be a christian, you need christians to have a church.

WORD!
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Cabe: 11:52am On Nov 17, 2005
I read about a man who couldn't remember every meal that his wife served for the past 20 twenty years, however he was alive, fed and healthy. Assembling with believers, hearing sermons, singing and taking communion helps our spiritual health. I don't remember every sermon that I have heard, but I have been fed by going to church. I was not fed because of the location of the building the Church attended, but praise be to God because of the individuals that made up that Church. Often I don't realize how much I needed to hear that sermon until I'm tempted and find the right verses stored in my head from sermons and bible studies that help me fight temptations. I go to church and I influence people who attend and they influence me. I am also influenced by those who used to come and stopped. I get sad when I think of them. I miss them. They truly are part of the body of Christ. Maybe I didn't encourage them enough and let them know that I am so influenced by their company. Jesus prayed, "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done..." While Jesus was alive the "Kingdom" was not in motion yet. After his death the kingdom was established. The spiritual kingdom that Christ is king of is called the "Church". Church is a group of believers... believers are individuals... individuals are not perfect no matter how hard they try. My point being, please don't look for a group of people who say, "We are perfect," this attitude shows they are not. All churches, and individuals are not equal to God and therefore need grace because of there imperfections. A group that pleases God is worth seeking diligently for. Finding a group of people that understand and acknowledge their individual imperfections looking to God and relying on His help is a good sign. God's help being, God's word and grace. A wise group studies diligently in the scriptures not with a spirit of arguing, but a spirit of love, wanting to please God through obedient faith. God's idea of helping us may be through the groups and individuals He allows us to meet in life. Joseph was thrown in a pit, sold into slavery by his brothers, then later put into prison, and yet Joseph says something remarkable to his brothers many years later when they reunite, "Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for the good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive." I'm not God so I won't tell you to leave a church because there is adversity. Maybe you were meant to be there to influence it in a positive way. Or Maybe God will intervene and cause you to move to another group that needs you more. I don't know. Jesus said, "pray for your enemies." God is in control and not us. To best illustrate this, if we were in control we would probably not wish to have our worst enemies attending the same church as us, or being in our physical family. God is in control and so sometimes our worst enemy is mom, dad, siblings, or members of the church. Adversity in church might be the right excuse to leave, or rather the darkness in which to shine. Much prayer is needed in decisions.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 12:02pm On Nov 17, 2005
Cabe, I really respect your words.

@IAH, I really don't know why you brought up this topic in the first place if you knew you were only going to agree with those supporting you. Well, from your reactions so far to different posts, I hereby deduce that, "One can only force a horse to the stream, you can never force it to drink the water". The choice is yours.. choose wisely. cool
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 12:03pm On Nov 17, 2005
Thank you Sir! wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Something Inherently Wrong With Black Africans? / Inspiring Women Of Faith Ebooks Collection / The True Identity Of Catholic Mary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.