Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112513 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by cecegorz(m): 3:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
I don't want to believe that all promos are lotteries because in a promo, you first of all enjoy the value for ur money with the hope of extra 'winning' , your worst case scenario is supposed to be win-lose unlike Lottery where you can have lose-lose most times.

Remember in the good old  'look under the crown' , i would have consumed the liquid content which even without the promo, i still had value for my money, but if i buy a thousand naira and do ten txt msgs to their numbers, i  had no single value except i win.

The business part of me is just imagining the volume of millions these guys are raking in with their disguised lottery.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 4:46pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^
You have a point.
Glo has even joined them with the 'Recharge and Go to Man Utd' promo.
It's just crazy.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by cecegorz(m): 4:46pm On Apr 30, 2010
@AJ
As management, you knew what i was saying all along because 'na una dey hammer'  cool cool cool

I even forgot to add that in the 'look under the crown' the price of the goods remain the same as against here where you get zapped of #100 bucks as against market price of #15 bucks.
Make una take am easy for the desperate poor country men, abeg!

I think R. Kiyosaki is damn right for proclaiming that the Rich print their own money. This is a classic example.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 5:53pm On Apr 30, 2010
cecegorz:

@AJ
As management, you knew what i was saying all along because 'na una dey hammer'  cool cool cool

I even forgot to add that in the 'look under the crown' the price of the goods remain the same as against here where you get zapped of #100 bucks as against market price of #15 bucks.
Make una take am easy for the desperate poor country men, abeg!

I think R. Kiyosaki is damn right for proclaiming that the Rich print their own money. This is a classic example.

LOL.
Well, na una wan win na.
You know the cost of going to Old Trafford by yourself na. N200, nothing venture, nothing gain! Luck of the draw, dude. grin
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Don1Dee(m): 10:26am On May 04, 2010
Plz i need help to secured my wireless network. I run a wireless hotspot some where in lag where come in to browse with their laptops. I was using antamedia to secured it before now. Three weeks ago, it showed antamedia has encountered a problem and need to close and thus close automatically. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but after registering it will be showing me "FAILED TO GET DATA FOR GATEWAY" I have try everything possible all to know avail. This has caused my biz a serious blow because i have two options to either put off everything and not work for the day for three wks now or put it on while people hang around and browse for free. Plz can anybody come to my aid urgently, i don't mind paying because the biz has been a goldmine for me and i have lost so tremendously so past three wks.

Plz Plz Plz, Gud people of NL HELP
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by risingdamp: 3:49pm On May 06, 2010
They are promos of course. They are not forcing anyone to play. All companies in Nigeria seem to have one promo or the other going as a regular source of income.
Why?Because it is based on a commodity that will never run out, which is the human desire to get something for next to nothing. You send your sms, they charge you =N=200 and you hope to win something worth thousands of pounds! If they get only a fraction of their customers sending sms, they will make some cheddar.

Anyway, I'm in the OSS/BSS space , does anyone know if there are consulting opportunities with the telcos?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by cecegorz(m): 10:47am On May 07, 2010
Don1Dee:

Plz i need help to secured my wireless network. I run a wireless hotspot some where in lag where come in to browse with their laptops. I was using antamedia to secured it before now. Three weeks ago, it showed antamedia has encountered a problem and need to close and thus close automatically. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but after registering it will be showing me "FAILED TO GET DATA FOR GATEWAY" I have try everything possible all to know avail. This has caused my biz a serious blow because i have two options to either put off everything and not work for the day for three wks now or put it on while people hang around and browse for free. Plz can anybody come to my aid urgently, i don't mind paying because the biz has been a goldmine for me and i have lost so tremendously so past three wks.

Plz Plz Plz, Gud people of NL HELP

Sorry for the challenges bro,

Before profering solutions let me get some right information from you.
1. Were you using a trial version of the Antamedia software? or you purchased full modules?
2. From which media did you install it originally? ( net download or CD-Rom)
3. Is it the latest version 1.7.1 or less?

These will help in narrowing down the issues resolution.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by nnemak(m): 4:35pm On May 07, 2010
AjanleKoko:

LOL.
Well, na una wan win na.
You know the cost of going to Old Trafford by yourself na. N200, nothing venture, nothing gain! Luck of the draw, dude. grin

AJ,
i like ur replies. i fall maga one day after i use some highy. una chop my 5k and i no even WIN dailly prize. See as i send WIN soooooooooooo tayyyyyyyyyy my phone belive but after 5k and i no win, i still dey wait to catch any Zain peep for my backyard!

funny thread below
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-441785.0.html
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:26am On May 19, 2010
Guys,
been a while.
I've been wondering, is anybody thinking about the future of the industry in Nigeria. Sure, we have 65 million GSM lines, lots of operators offering all manner of services, but we still obviously have barriers. The rest of the world is talking about the Next Gen network, Nigeria has sold 3G licenses, but offerings kind of remain the same, and QoS is not improving, but declining.
I'd like to know what the house thinks about the current state of the industry in Nigeria. What would you say are the barriers to the next level, meaning network quality, innovative services, etc, etc? What are the operators missing, despite the billions of $ that they've expended?

I would say number one issue is technical manpower in the industry, both on the regulatory and the service provider side. We have manpower quite all right, but are they adequately skilled and exposed? Do these skills exist at the level that they should, i.e. CxO?

Would like to know what others think.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by nnemak(m): 3:28pm On May 19, 2010
The industry is growing rapidly as expected. The rest of the world is also going to the 4.G network since most are already operation on 3.5G…
But for us here, its good to acknowledge that we have the manpower, but skill can only be developed when the available man-power is equipped and exposed through the right training …

These days employer shy away from training instead resorts to out-sourcing
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lekside44(m): 4:57pm On May 23, 2010
i think things will improve with time. many telecoms comp are laying optic fibre here and there. i was in Ondo recently and was amazed by the level of work going on their optic fiber laying going on everywhere. well, for major and populated cities like Lagos, i think the inter connectivity channels are not adequate enough. terminals at every street ougth to be linked by optic fiber. this is the only way out of these mess
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by qst: 5:04pm On May 27, 2010
Thanks for this thread.
My Q: Is there any point of entry for a server administrator (linux network server admin, win 2005 server admin and RADIUS server deplyment and admin) with strong capabilities in network design and implementation.
Thank you.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by cecegorz(m): 9:54am On May 28, 2010
cecegorz:

Hey folks,

I have a question for you guys on this recent plot by MTN and ZAIN to milk country pple of their hard earned monies
If you use any of these networks, you probably get at least 2 sms everyday asking you to send 'GO' or 'WIN' to their designated numbers inorder to win the days' #2m or the months' #10m. Each text actually costs #100 bucks

Is this actually a promo or a plain old Baba Ijebu lottery. Personally i see it as a lottery because you are not really buying any product unlike in 'recharge with Bleep naira and get yyy naira free'

I am just imagining how many free millions of bucks that are rolling into their coffers per seconds.

Another issue is whether they have authorized licence from the National lottery commission to do such

What do y'all think

@AJ

Its like the FG has woken up to send rainstorm on your guy's  fraudulent promo party, finally.

Probably they've been reading my argument, who knows?

I hope you guy's will be forced to make refunds  grin  grin   grin grin   grin  tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 11:55am On May 28, 2010
cecegorz:

@AJ

Its like the FG has woken up to send rainstorm on your guy's  fraudulent promo party, finally.

Probably they've been reading my argument, who knows?

I hope you guy's will be forced to make refunds  grin  grin   grin grin   grin  tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue
angry angry angry cry cry cry

But truth be told, that na the only thing wey una dey respond to for Africa. We have tried it all, introduced VAS and other advanced services, people just dey hunt for bargains. Nobody wants to guarantee any telco any portion of their income. So what we do is run promos and offer you winnings. And you guys always take the bait, but only complain when you don't win.
I remember meeting someone last year who said he recharged 90k plus chasing etisalat's $1m last year. Let's face it, gambling is real wink
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by yodiyokun(f): 3:16pm On May 28, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Guys,
been a while.
I've been wondering, is anybody thinking about the future of the industry in Nigeria. Sure, we have 65 million GSM lines, lots of operators offering all manner of services, but we still obviously have barriers. The rest of the world is talking about the Next Gen network, Nigeria has sold 3G licenses, but offerings kind of remain the same, and QoS is not improving, but declining.
I'd like to know what the house thinks about the current state of the industry in Nigeria. What would you say are the barriers to the next level, meaning network quality, innovative services, etc, etc? What are the operators missing, despite the billions of $ that they've expended?

I would say number one issue is technical manpower in the industry, both on the regulatory and the service provider side. We have manpower quite all right, but are they adequately skilled and exposed? Do these skills exist at the level that they should, i.e. CxO?

Would like to know what others think.

I don't work in this industry, however I believe that for most industries in Nigeria there is a scarcity of skills to take services and product innovation to the next level. What is your company doing about this? are you training people internally, do you have an internal process designed to mine creative juices of your workforce. It takes a leader with a vision and the necessary will power to do what needs to be done.
My experience in banking has been that many leaders never walk the talk, are not ready to rock the boat or to even innovate. They just want to be make money and play politics.

Is your organization listening to the man on the street, do you have a fully funded R& D department, is creativity encouraged and nurtured?

Question: do you know the reason why telco is not a guaranteed expense on most peoples expenditure? a simplistic answer is that, most dont see the value.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 4:24pm On May 28, 2010
yodiyokun:

I don't work in this industry, however I believe that for most industries in Nigeria there is a scarcity of skills to take services and product innovation to the next level. What is your company doing about this? are you training people internally, do you have an internal process designed to mine creative juices of your workforce. It takes a leader with a vision and the necessary will power to do what needs to be done.
My experience in banking has been that many leaders never walk the talk, are not ready to rock the boat or to even innovate. They just want to be make money and play politics.

Is your organization listening to the man on the street, do you have a fully funded R& D department, is creativity encouraged and nurtured?

Question: do you know the reason why telco is not a guaranteed expense on most peoples expenditure? a simplistic answer is that, most dont see the value.

Well . . . the truth is, you're right.
Most Nigerians are functioning at the opportunist level of mindset. Nobody is building for any future. As far as we're all concerned, the future is money in my bank account, period. So in most of these organizations, you have foreign opportunists eager to reap of the Naija loot, and the Nigerian opportunist looking to better his pocket.

Last night I saw the movie 'Extraordinary Measures' with Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser. Talk about a win-win situation. A father looking for a cure for his children's sickness stumbles on a scientist with the answer, and together they not only find the cure, but make a pot of money in the process! All through the movie, the father's motivation was his children, not the cash. Same goes for the scientist. I wonder the day when we will be sufficiently motivated to do anything out of the ordinary in Nigeria. Once the Ghana-Must-Go appears, everybody's body go come down.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 4:38pm On May 28, 2010
^^^
Too True
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by yodiyokun(f): 4:52pm On May 28, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Most Nigerians are functioning at the opportunist level of mindset. Nobody is building for any future. As far as we're all concerned, the future is money in my bank account, period. So in most of these organizations, you have foreign opportunists eager to reap of the Naija loot, and the Nigerian opportunist looking to better his pocket.

My Bro,
Hmm, is all I can say. When I hear my friends here hala they want to go back to Nigeria, na to work and collect big big money. No one is going back to contribute nada but to loot their own share of perceived "wealth"

The West did not develop by the looting and poverty mentality. The people that make the western economy what it is today are ordinary SME people, just doing their own thing, innovating and redefining how the society is structured bla bla bla. No be so for Naija. There is 419 mentality here in the west as well, but it's not in the majority. All I can advise you is, as a people manager, you should try to develop talent as much as you can and nurture your teams' creativity, productivity and stretch them. However, to be effective you have to lead by example. Hopefully you are high up in the org structure to do something. We are the change we seek.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by b2oohh: 7:14pm On May 29, 2010
CONTACT CENTRE FOUNDATIONS TRAINING/CERTIFICATION

The Program provides hands-on technical training to develop the high-level skills demanded by today's leading customer contact centres, to enhance opportunities for recruitment and employment in this exciting, growing sector, and to provide occupation specific training for the industry.
GET JOBS IN TELECOMS,GSM,HMO's etc

Learn how call centers work, how they are put together, what leads to contact center success, and all the technology applications you need to know to work effectively in the call and contact center profession
For whom:
• IT, human resources, marketing, and other professionals that support or interface with the company call center or help desk
• Consultants and sales professionals with call center clients and prospects
• Newcomers to the call center profession
• Managers and executives with call center oversight
• Recently promoted agents and team leads and those with expanding responsibility
Training & Certification Fee : $250
Special discounted price is N30,000*
includes:
• 3 - day instructor-led training
• Training materials
• Certificate to be issued by ICMI

Venues: Chamscity Abuja: ; Chamscity Lagos:

For bookings & registration contact b2o consulting :-08064084005 or email : b2oconsulting@yahoo.com
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dustydee: 4:48pm On Jun 01, 2010
Advice needed.
I am an IT personnel in the public sector-my specialty is telecommunications. I have acquired certain certifications such as ccnp and pmp.My problem right now is that i do not have job satisfaction. I am looking to quit but
1.I feel I dont have enough experience as i cannot take up an entry level position even though some people think my exprience is relevant.
2.those i have discussed it feel i should stay on due to job security and that i can start a business by the side.
3. I really want to quit but also need to beef up my cv(more relevant certification)
please I need advice from professionals in the house.Your suggestions are highly needed,thank you.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dustydee: 4:50pm On Jun 01, 2010
Advice needed.
I am an IT personnel in the public sector-my specialty is telecommunications. I have acquired certain certifications such as ccnp and pmp.My problem right now is that i do not have job satisfaction. I am looking to quit but
1.I feel I dont have enough experience as i cannot take up an entry level position even though some people think my exprience is relevant.
2.those i have discussed it feel i should stay on due to job security and that i can start a business by the side.
3. I really want to quit but also need to beef up my cv(more relevant certification)
please I need advice from professionals in the house.Your suggestions are highly needed,thank you.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2010
My 2 cents.

Caveat Emptor: My advice is only worth more than 2 cents if you're in the area of your passion.

Its really not about the Certifications my brother,

Its never been about the certifications - in reality.

Its about your ability to solve problems. That's the only reason any employer will hire you.
I guess you must have seen New Horizon's (false) claim to have trained the world's youngest MCP - 8 years old in today's Guardian. The real owner of that title acquired it at age 6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc29czKcjig

You have kpali, the kid has kpali too.
What that kid doesn't have the access to is proven problem-solving ability by issues that have been resolved on a day-to-day basis.
To be frank, your certifications, don't mean jack if you don't have the requisite experience - either simulated or real-world.
You're a CCNP.
Get as close as you can to different models of Cisco Routers, if you can't get the physical ones learn to manipulate GNS3. Get to know Junipers JUNOS. Become Intimate with Linux Servers.
All the best.

My 2 cents.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dustydee: 8:08am On Jun 02, 2010
@salihu
thank you man,i appreciate your comments.How can i have access to learn Linux and unix?any ideas please. Once again thanks for your candid advice.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 10:08am On Jun 02, 2010
You can order Ubuntu for free from here https://shipit.ubuntu.com/, be sure to fill in your proper address and be sure someone's around to pick it up for you.
You'd need a good enough connection for OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.com/get/index.jsp.

The Ubuntu you can run as a Live CD, it doesn't disrupt your present system configuration in any way, for the Open Solaris I'd suggest you get VirtualBox - http://www.virtualbox.org/ its like VMWare, it enables you create a Virtual PC in your real PC you could use as a sandbox to blow things up until you get hang of it.
Hope this helps.
Hit me up if you need any further info
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by bisifunke: 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2010
Please am sorry if this is off topic. am jst curious.
Have any one face quality control audit before ? Can you share your experience ? I manage IT dept of my company and am facing QaQC audit on the department. What question should I be expecting and what can I use as defence mechanism. The dept is sizeable and i hv my work procedure but it is believed that you cant be 100% ok

thanks
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dustydee: 1:33pm On Jun 03, 2010
Salihu,thanks alot, I'll let you knw if i have any question.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by saviola24: 11:46pm On Jun 05, 2010
@Ajalenkoko,Cecegoz,Salihu,all. i hv been folowin dis telco thread creatd by Aj 4a very long time &i must confes dt u pple ar doin a great job,atleast it gvs us d fresh graduates hope dat d future is bright 4telco engrs.more pwer 2ur elbows.i graduated last yr 4rm 1 of d uni in d east wit 2.1 in ECE, pls my problm nw is dat i need a place where i can fix myself 2work,i have experienc in basic networking. pls continue 4rm nxt comment
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by saviola24: 11:47pm On Jun 05, 2010
@Ajalenkoko,Cecegoz,Salihu,all. i hv been folowin dis telco thread creatd by Aj 4a very long time &i must confes dt u pple ar doin a great job,atleast it gvs us d fresh graduates hope dat d future is bright 4telco engrs.more pwer 2ur elbows.i graduated last yr 4rm 1 of d uni in d east wit 2.1 in ECE, pls my problm nw is dat i need a place where i can fix myself 2work,i have experienc in basic networking. pls continue 4rm nxt comment
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by saviola24: 11:49pm On Jun 05, 2010
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by saviola24: 12:13am On Jun 06, 2010
as i said earlier,i hv experienc in basic networking,network printer installatn, netwrk troubleshooting,software installatn etc.pls Aj if any 1 of u can help hook me in any of d networkin/telco firms wher i can work even if i can go in as an industrial trainin attachee because experienc is very important 2me rather dan me sittin at home &wastin my time.i am so optimistic dat dis forum wil hekp me achieve my networking dream.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by saviola24: 1:21am On Jun 06, 2010
finally,i am a hardworkin young guy who is willin to learn more on computer networks & informatn technnology,dat was d main reason i had 2forgo a job during my industrial trainin & went 4a networkin job even tho d former was 2pay twice d latter.dat shows my passion for xperience lik ajalenkoko,cecegoz & salihu etc.pls incase any of u need my CV & u dnt want pple 2see ur email add,u can write me on talk2skippo@gmail.com
thanks and God u.Amen
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lasunk: 5:08pm On Jun 13, 2010
Hi guys,
There is training on Advanced Transmission Engineering organized by Aviat Networks (formerly Haris-Stratex).
I think this will be good for engineers seeking a breakthrough into the telecoms industry, as most of us know transmission is one of the major challenges the industry is facing (outside Power supply of course). The links is below,

http://www.aviatnetworks.com/services/training/open-enrollments/

Knowledge on Communication engineering or Microwave theory will be very necessary though.

I'll be giving it a shot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (32) (Reply)

How To Calculate Your New Salary Based On New National Minimum Wage: Photo / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.