Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way (27807 Views)

When You're Not Qualified For A Job But You Have Connections / He Said I Should Grease His Bed For A Job But I Politely Turned Him Down / How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by jazinogold(m): 10:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
even ur lie has a lie grin
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
adedotman5:
I'm just an interview away from landing a banking job,the last interview is a formality cos the one I've passed is the main interview but I got an issue with my age, I stated on my cv that I'm two years younger than I am. Up till now, I have been using the online print out result for waec in everything I do, but after the last interview, the interviewer said they can't accept it so he told me to go and obtain the original. After much trouble, I obtained the result from my secondary school for 10k and the proprietor said he doesn't give out only waec, since I sat for neco in the school, I must collect both and neco cost 10k also.
Having gotten both, I decided it's better to present the neco result instead of the waec since it's got no age inscribed on it, also I'll be presenting my birth certificate so I just decided the neco is the better option so that my age doesn't contradict. But surprisingly, I was told they need the waec alone and not neco, remember if I present the waec, the age on it is different from the one on the birth certificate and they already have my birth certificate now. Please nairalanders I need your advise on this. Should I present the waec certificate and hope they don't discover, I'm really confused now
Tell them waec made a mistake abt ur dob, that's why is different from ur original birth certificate. They may ask u to go n make d correction with wace, but u will still have the job... Thank me later grin
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Excuzeme: 10:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
While everyone is blaming the @Op for "integrity issues" due to "involuntary" falsification of his age, most people are really failing to understand WHY the poster has to resort to such tactics, to get a job?

Have we ever wondered WHY young graduates have to reduce their age...... just to get a job?

*Starting from the various Lecturer's Union strikes which the student has no control over, to Student crisis which the poster has no control over, to instability within the nation polity itself as a a result of issues like insurgency, flagrant change of graduation dates by schools.... how do we really expect these young graduates to graduate at the age at which these Employers are demanding?

*Again, as someone who has worked outside this country before, why is it that the Western world does not impose such "Age restrictions" on their potential employee.... yet this does not affect their performance once they can demonstrate the sort of "functional ability" that an interview and written test is designed to investigate

* Looking at the situation of this country and the level of employment (not to mention the lack of Social Services to cushion lack employment income), where a graduate spends many years looking for unavailable jobs, how is that the Graduates fault, that he should be penalised for it, when he finally gets a Job?

Why do we keep traumatising our Younger generation (and the so-called Youths are themselves most bereft of ideas and issues they should be aggrieved about!) by imposing conditions that even most of us will never pray to go through? If a candidate has passed all written test (and therefore demonstrated academic ability), have passed all interviews (thereby demonstrating non-academic competence) and the candidate is physically fit to do the job.... WHAT HAS HIS AGE GOT TO DO WITH IT?

This is just like asking people to be putting state of origin on employment form (aside for Govt jobs where quota system is enforced), how does my state of origin affect my job performance?

I really pity our Youths who are not even aware of issues they should be protesting for, at the National Assembly so that laws can be made to protect them in their quest for starting a life of their own.... all you see is them wasting their time on partisan politics are throwing vitriol at the office of the president or some tribal bashing once few crumbs have been thrown their way!

It is a "desperate situation of a hardworking graduate" who does not want to engage in crime but wants to work and earn a decent living, that forces such person to "involuntarily alter their age" when such age has no bearing on their ability to pass the written exam, pass the interview and perform the assigned job role.

Look at it this way: Let say the guy is 27 years.... yet he passed the test and passed the interview and is fit for the job
Now, because you insisted he must be less than 24 years, he has "involuntarily reduced his age" 9 to fit the age bracket), yet he stillpassed the test and interview...... but will not be given the job because he is discovered to have reduced his age!
Question is: Whether he is 27 or 24, how has that age impacted his ability and suitability for the job, judging that he did well in the test and interview?
This is NOT a credibility issue at all! It is a SURVIVAL ISSUE.

It is discrimination based on age and in advanced, sensible climes, no organisation is allowed ot discriminate against your employment, based on your AGE.
They will be sued and sanctioned severely for it, as there are laws prohibiting discrimination based on gender, age, race, e.t.c
This is what Nigerian Youths should be clamouring for (changing the laws by pressurising their elected Assembly Men), rather they go about fighting on behalf of APC or PDP, insulting their President and calling him name.

What a sad and failed generation.

@OP: Give them your WAEC cert with your real age but please do something for me: LEcture them on why it is wrong and discriminatory to insist you must be a certain age to be employed, on why you had to involuntarily reduce your age (almost every Graduate does that now) and why your age is and should not be a factor in your performance and employability.
Read my points above, develop it on your own and[b] if you have the confidence, you would have made your stand[/b].
Assume you have lost the job and their is nothing to lose, so go for it, at least you would have said your mind.

But any "intelligent" head of Personnel will easily know that you are a cut above the rest and that you have no integrity issues but you are "highly motivated and have great desire to be employed"! It is staff like that who excel at their job, most.

Your life does not end with this particular job.... Dont give up, the best is yet to come.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Excuzeme: 11:03pm On Jan 21, 2016
spesh007:
JUST GO TO COURT AND SWEAR AN AFFIDAVIT. END OF STORY
Do you people even know the efect of swearing a "false affidavit" on oath?

It is called "Lying under oath" and the legal term for it is PERJURY!

The prison term long wella-wella!

The problem Senate president Saraki is facing right now, bothers around that, dont mind that he is a "big-Man" and seems above the law in this our Nigeria.

I hope you dont regret it twenty years down the line when you are a Governor-Elect and someone brings out the Perjured Document.
We live in a digital world where Documents can live forever, electronically.
Be cautious! Be warned!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 22, 2016
AccaPack:
There is no way u can escape presenting your Waec certificate. The main reason for asking for Waec certificate is to compare it with your birth certificate. If u present affidavit, they won't even believe it , to them, the age on your Waec certificate is your real age.

Bro, u funny o, so u wanted to create this type of thread and u couldn't remove your pix or create alternate moniker. Don't you know that employers run online checks on prospective employees these days?
I just hope u haven't lost the opportunity already.

so what's wrong with the picture? It's Tripple H na. Nothhing wrong in my opinion
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by adedotman5(m): 12:33am On Jan 22, 2016
Thanks @ everybody, really grateful for the pieces of advise, as for y'all screaming out integrity issues, I've not had any since birth, I've NEVER even taken money on the floor talk less of trying to steal another person's dime, I saw a phone on a walkway to my house during undergraduate days, outta the #500 last card left on me, I bought credit on the phone and contacted those I felt were close to the owner, I still owed my landlord in schl 2 months rent since 2010 despite being on I. T during this period but till today, a week cannot pass without ma Conscience reminding me I'm owing someone and if I get a job, I'm definitely gonna pay her from ma first salary. but ma dad's got four graduates, no job, I had a poultry just after service but ma arch customer ran into troubles which she never recovered from till today, she still have majority of my business money, I pride myself in being shewd and smart but never seems to get a half chance to prove it, If I can land a job of 80k in 12-24 months, I'm sure I won't need to work no more cos I believe that's the half chance I've always craved for, it's really been frustrated so far,
Nigeria Factor caused all these, left ma parents house for schl Oct 2005 and could only manage a Bsc 2002 without spilling over!!, I've corrected the age on ma CV and as for my prosecutors I leave you with the message "person wey never see challenge na him dey call himself strong man"

4 Likes

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by femi4: 12:50am On Jan 22, 2016
adedotman5:

Are you saying I shouldn't even attempt to send the waec result now? I don't understand this villagers thing, are you saying villagers work in a bank or what you tryna say? SO THIS FINALLY MADE FRONT PAGE EN? PROVES THE VERACITY OF THE CLAIM THAT "BAD NEWS SPREAD FASTER THAN GOOD NEWS"
You are the bad person creating the news. Forget the job cos your villagers are really against your progress
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by kingofchess(m): 1:23am On Jan 22, 2016
how can sum1 falsify his age in waec
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by essencestore: 3:09am On Jan 22, 2016
adedotman5:
Thanks @ everybody, really grateful for the pieces of advise, as for y'all screaming out integrity issues, I've not had any since birth, I've NEVER even taken money on the floor talk less of trying to steal another person's dime, I saw a phone on a walkway to my house during undergraduate days, outta the #500 last card left on me, I bought credit on the phone and contacted those I felt were close to the owner, I still owed my landlord in schl 2 months rent since 2010 despite being on I. T during this period but till today, a week cannot pass without ma Conscience reminding me I'm owing someone and if I get a job, I'm definitely gonna pay her from ma first salary. but ma dad's got four graduates, no job, I had a poultry just after service but ma arch customer ran into troubles which she never recovered from till today, she still have majority of my business money, I pride myself in being shewd and smart but never seems to get a half chance to prove it, If I can land a job of 80k in 12-24 months, I'm sure I won't need to work no more cos I believe that's the half chance I've always craved for, it's really been frustrated so far,
Nigeria Factor caused all these, left ma parents house for schl Oct 2005 and could only manage a Bsc 2002 without spilling over!!, I've corrected the age on ma CV and as for my prosecutors I leave you with the message "person wey never see challenge na him dey call himself strong man"

My Neighbor took that step before he could travel outta the country.

If you have finally made up your mind, I can refer you to a Waec officer in Lagos.
Within 48hours, it will be rectified.

Y.O.L.O Bro....

1 Like

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by AccaPack(m): 5:29am On Jan 22, 2016
craziebone:

so what's wrong with the picture? It's Tripple H na. Nothhing wrong in my opinion
When u feel like quoting next time, try to look at the date the comment was made and the date the picture was uploaded. He had his personal picture when he created the thread.
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by standout5: 6:38am On Jan 22, 2016
maldo2:
Hello my fellow Nairalanders

kindly help me with good advise on how to come about this question................... "Please state briefly the reasons why you think you are an outstanding candidate for this job (Maximum 1000 Characters)"

I was applying for job at (UNDP Nigeria) so they ask me this question. help me please

cc: Lalasticla

let me give u hints......

"I'm a perfect fit for this position. I have the experience and the traits you are looking for. On top of that, I'm a great team player that gets a long with everyone."

"I should be hired because I'm efficient, smart, and friendly. I'm great at solving problems and love challenges. Most importantly, I'm dependable and reliable."

"There are two reasons I should be hired. First, my qualifications match your needs perfectly. Second, I'm excited and passionate about this industry and will always give 100%."

"You should hire me because I'm confident and I'll do the best job. I have a proven track record of success starting from high school until now. I'm responsible and smart.
This position requires someone that will work well without supervision. I know how to manage my time and organize my work well. So, I'm confident I'll be the best candidate for this position."

I believe in transferring knowledge to everyone in the company and investing a little more effort into the people who work for me. So I strongly believe that I'll be the best candidate due to the combination of my experience, my managerial skills, and my desire to provide growth in employees."

"The reason I applied for this position is because the qualifications matched my strengths perfectly. I'm good at juggling multiple tasks, I'm very detail oriented, and I organize my time very efficiently. But the truth is that many people have these traits. But if I were in your position, I would hire myself because of the passion I have for this industry, and my optimistic personality. My education background and my strengths show that I can do this job. But I want to make more of an impact than just doing my job. I don't want to blend in with the company, I would rather want my addition to improve it."

The first answer is using experience and skills to convince the interviewer to hire you. In addition to talking about past experiences, this example also emphasizes the strong ability to mentor people. The second example is more on the personal level and definitely more creative.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by aloaye11: 6:51am On Jan 22, 2016
take it to them n u may b lucky to escape, it is either they take u or not n if they should notice just tell them it was an error from ur teacher back then in sch while filling ur form n that is y u went to swear for an affidavit. naija conditions for employment is not just helping matters,if not 10yrs experience, it will b not older then 24yrs ,in a country were getting admission is like passing a mosquito tru a needle hole. God help us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 22, 2016
calculator123:
Dont bother sending it and about the villager aspect it call witchcraft control

Its just someone reaping the reward of fraud. No witchcraft or any villager!
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 22, 2016
Lol. If as I suspect the bank you are applying to is on Marina, and its HR sits on the 2nd floor, don't bother, they have already seen this thread.
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by anachy: 8:05am On Jan 22, 2016
olabimp:
But waec makes mistakes sometimes in cert. Like in my own case, they added four years to my age in my certificate, its only the month that is correct, even d birthday is incorrect. And I av tried all means for them to rectify this, but it has not been rectified since 2002.
there was a day I went to ogba,(waec office) those women by the road said they know hw to reduced or correct the date of birth on the waec result, and I gave them a tried, and they did a good job by first of all removing the lamination and correcting the date with their own printer, though I wasn't there but that s what I observes when I saw my cert. But the age looks like sth that was not tamper after I checked it cos its was laminated back..
Though, I gave her the waec that day and collected it the next day. I took a risk though. Am not advising anyone. But life is a risk.
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Excuzeme: 9:59am On Jan 22, 2016
anachy:
there was a day I went to ogba,(waec office) those women by the road said they know hw to reduced or correct the date of birth on the waec result, and I gave them a tried, and they did a good job by first of all removing the lamination and correcting the date with their own printer, though I wasn't there but that s what I observes when I saw my cert. But the age looks like sth that was not tamper after I checked it cos its was laminated back..
Though, I gave her the waec that day and collected it the next day. I took a risk though. Am not advising anyone. But life is a risk.

See the level of Corruption in this country......... even amongst the YOUTHS who are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow?

But part of the responsibility lies on the "Elders" who have made life "Hell on Earth" for our Youths.

How did we become like this?
It will take a miracle ..and lot of blood, to clean this country
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by adedotman5(m): 10:50am On Jan 22, 2016
femi4:
You are the bad person creating the news. Forget the job cos your villagers are really against your progress

Bro, I'm expecting you to speak sense based on your signature but nah, I guess someone else opened the account and gave you the username and password or better still you stole another person's password and is using the account, @ NAIRALANDERS, BE CAREFUL WITH UR PASSWORDS SO THAT SOMEONE WITHOUT A LIFE WON'T COME OVER HERE TO DENT YOUR REPUTATION
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by standout5: 11:41am On Jan 22, 2016
maldo2:
Hello my fellow Nairalanders

kindly help me with good advise on how to come about this question................... "Please state briefly the reasons why you think you are an outstanding candidate for this job (Maximum 1000 Characters)"

I was applying for job at (UNDP Nigeria) so they ask me this question. help me please

cc: Lalasticla

"I'm a perfect fit for this position. I have the experience and the traits you are looking for. On top of that, I'm a great team player that gets a long with everyone."

"I should be hired because I'm efficient, smart, and friendly. I'm great at solving problems and love challenges. Most importantly, I'm dependable and reliable."

"There are two reasons I should be hired. First, my qualifications match your needs perfectly. Second, I'm excited and passionate about this industry and will always give 100%."

"You should hire me because I'm confident and I'll do the best job. I have a proven track record of success starting from high school until now. I'm responsible and smart. I know how to manage my time and organize my work well. So, I'm confident I'll be the best candidate for this position."
Hope it helps.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by anachy: 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2016
Excuzeme:

See the level of Corruption in this country......... even amongst the YOUTHS who are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow?

But part of the responsibility lies on the "Elders" who have made life "Hell on Earth" for our Youths.

How did we become like this?
It will take a miracle ..and lot of blood, to clean this country
sir you talk too much, the op and the person I quote needs solution.
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Omoluabi16(m): 9:48am On Jan 29, 2016
Excuzeme:
While everyone is blaming the @Op for "integrity issues" due to "involuntary" falsification of his age, most people are really failing to understand WHY the poster has to resort to such tactics, to get a job?

Have we ever wondered WHY young graduates have to reduce their age...... just to get a job?

*Starting from the various Lecturer's Union strikes which the student has no control over, to Student crisis which the poster has no control over, to instability within the nation polity itself as a a result of issues like insurgency, flagrant change of graduation dates by schools.... how do we really expect these young graduates to graduate at the age at which these Employers are demanding?

*Again, as someone who has worked outside this country before, why is it that the Western world does not impose such "Age restrictions" on their potential employee.... yet this does not affect their performance once they can demonstrate the sort of "functional ability" that an interview and written test is designed to investigate

* Looking at the situation of this country and the level of employment (not to mention the lack of Social Services to cushion lack employment income), where a graduate spends many years looking for unavailable jobs, how is that the Graduates fault, that he should be penalised for it, when he finally gets a Job?

Why do we keep traumatising our Younger generation (and the so-called Youths are themselves most bereft of ideas and issues they should be aggrieved about!) by imposing conditions that even most of us will never pray to go through? If a candidate has passed all written test (and therefore demonstrated academic ability), have passed all interviews (thereby demonstrating non-academic competence) and the candidate is physically fit to do the job.... WHAT HAS HIS AGE GOT TO DO WITH IT?

This is just like asking people to be putting state of origin on employment form (aside for Govt jobs where quota system is enforced), how does my state of origin affect my job performance?

I really pity our Youths who are not even aware of issues they should be protesting for, at the National Assembly so that laws can be made to protect them in their quest for starting a life of their own.... all you see is them wasting their time on partisan politics are throwing vitriol at the office of the president or some tribal bashing once few crumbs have been thrown their way!

It is a "desperate situation of a hardworking graduate" who does not want to engage in crime but wants to work and earn a decent living, that forces such person to "involuntarily alter their age" when such age has no bearing on their ability to pass the written exam, pass the interview and perform the assigned job role.

Look at it this way: Let say the guy is 27 years.... yet he passed the test and passed the interview and is fit for the job
Now, because you insisted he must be less than 24 years, he has "involuntarily reduced his age" 9 to fit the age bracket), yet he stillpassed the test and interview...... but will not be given the job because he is discovered to have reduced his age!
Question is: Whether he is 27 or 24, how has that age impacted his ability and suitability for the job, judging that he did well in the test and interview?
This is NOT a credibility issue at all! It is a SURVIVAL ISSUE.

It is discrimination based on age and in advanced, sensible climes, no organisation is allowed ot discriminate against your employment, based on your AGE.
They will be sued and sanctioned severely for it, as there are laws prohibiting discrimination based on gender, age, race, e.t.c
This is what Nigerian Youths should be clamouring for (changing the laws by pressurising their elected Assembly Men), rather they go about fighting on behalf of APC or PDP, insulting their President and calling him name.

What a sad and failed generation.

@OP: Give them your WAEC cert with your real age but please do something for me: LEcture them on why it is wrong and discriminatory to insist you must be a certain age to be employed, on why you had to involuntarily reduce your age (almost every Graduate does that now) and why your age is and should not be a factor in your performance and employability.
Read my points above, develop it on your own and[b] if you have the confidence, you would have made your stand[/b].
Assume you have lost the job and their is nothing to lose, so go for it, at least you would have said your mind.

But any "intelligent" head of Personnel will easily know that you are a cut above the rest and that you have no integrity issues but you are "highly motivated and have great desire to be employed"! It is staff like that who excel at their job, most.

Your life does not end with this particular job.... Dont give up, the best is yet to come.
that was brilliant.
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Kaecy1: 7:36pm On Aug 13, 2016
For those facing similar challenges and the OP (that's if the situation is still a given), contact me and solve age disparities on WAEC certs.

kaecy.kings@gmail.com
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Kaecy1: 7:41pm On Aug 13, 2016
For those facing similar challenges and the OP (that's if the situation is still a given), contact me and solve age disparities on WAEC certs.

kaecy.kings@gmail.com

adedotman5:
I'm just an interview away from landing a banking job,the last interview is a formality cos the one I've passed is the main interview but I got an issue with my age, I stated on my cv that I'm two years younger than I am. Up till now, I have been using the online print out result for waec in everything I do, but after the last interview, the interviewer said they can't accept it so he told me to go and obtain the original. After much trouble, I obtained the result from my secondary school for 10k and the proprietor said he doesn't give out only waec, since I sat for neco in the school, I must collect both and neco cost 10k also.
Having gotten both, I decided it's better to present the neco result instead of the waec since it's got no age inscribed on it, also I'll be presenting my birth certificate so I just decided the neco is the better option so that my age doesn't contradict. But surprisingly, I was told they need the waec alone and not neco, remember if I present the waec, the age on it is different from the one on the birth certificate and they already have my birth certificate now. Please nairalanders I need your advise on this. Should I present the waec certificate and hope they don't discover, I'm really confused now
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by pussyAvenger: 11:07pm On Jan 17, 2019
essencestore:

If you have finally made up your mind, I can refer you to a Waec officer in Lagos.

Y.O.L.O Bro....
bro l need the services of that WAEC officer
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by pussyAvenger: 11:27pm On Jan 17, 2019
jamesyria:
If you are sure you have gotten the original copy from waec, you don't have to panic. I can assist you. Contact me on jamesyria@gmail.com.
hi..l need your help
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Sirwallace(m): 2:30pm On Sep 23, 2019
essencestore:

Y.O.L.O Bro....
b

Hello bro, i hope you get this.

I need to change the date on my waec result.
I would like to hear from you and the contact to get this done.
Pls this is urgent.
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by Sirwallace(m): 2:34pm On Sep 23, 2019
anachy:

Dude, i wanna do something similar to this. Can I get your number?
Re: I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way by psylliumhusk1: 9:46pm On Jan 11, 2020
essencestore:

Y.O.L.O Bro....

Hello Sir..I will pm you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First City Monument Bank Plc Is Recruiting! / Sterling Bank Vs Uba / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.