Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,529 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? (16706 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 3:07am On Jan 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Transmission misalignment
Worn Clutch
Transmission Fluid

All that is not up to half u will spend when an automatic transmission fails. U can drive a manual car for 5 years without spending on transmission. It is no news that auto tranny are prone to failure than manual. I still like my auto though.

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Lexusgs430: 3:24am On Jan 25, 2016
greenhulk:

All that is not up to half u will spend when an automatic transmission fails. U can drive a manual car for 5 years without spending on transmission. It is no news that auto tranny are prone to failure than manual. I still like my auto though.

I have driven automatic transmissions that never failed, during my ownership(maximum 12 years).
Its all about been proactive and having a disciplined maintainance culture and above all, actually understanding the act of driving!!!!
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Ricmayak1: 3:34am On Jan 25, 2016
Assuming the person who will drive is a good driver, manual transmission is better. If otherwise, it will be costly using manual because some drivers overuse low gears increasing fuel consumption. Some can easily damage the clutch or the gear itself in short/long term.
If you have been in a car which the driver is skillfully poor, you will understand. The funny part is they don't even know it, they abuse better drivers and they don't listen to corrections.
For this category of drivers, put yourself on the side of safety by acquiring auto tranny drive. Though this kind of driver will still have problems with when to use Park, neutral, various drive gears appropriately.
Best regards.

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 3:48am On Jan 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:

I have driven automatic transmissions that never failed, during my ownership(maximum 12 years).
Its all about been proactive and having a disciplined maintainance culture and above all, actually understanding the act of driving!!!!

Yes it is possible to drive an automatic for 12 yrs without failure. But the fact remains that automatic transmission are 2 times more prone to failure than manual, even with disciplined maintenance culture. And the fact is it costs a lot more to fix an automatic tranny than manual. Most of the times automatic failure required change of tranny which is more expensive.

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by gogodaye(m): 4:00am On Jan 25, 2016
chidyke77:
Is he God? He should hv answered him or leave him.,smtimes few guys here feel like god here to be worshipped.No hatred bt he's used to snubbing and making u look stupid.

Just the genetic problem with us Nigerians.......simply incorrigible to change.........You expect not to earn a man's ire by asking him if he is carrying a bottle of water you see him holding in his hand.......
The damn reason they are all tagged 'unemployable"....
Nairaland has indeed lost her essence.......

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by gogodaye(m): 4:04am On Jan 25, 2016
Siena:
^^^Thank you very much, Mr Aviero. smiley

I thought it was obvious, but it appears I was wrong. Mr Buhari, I apologise for trying to get you to see the answer in your own question. wink

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 4:26am On Jan 25, 2016
samuelchimmy:
lie! The reverse is the case.
They won't understand
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Lexusgs430: 4:28am On Jan 25, 2016
greenhulk:

Yes it is possible to drive an automatic for 12 yrs without failure. But the fact remains that automatic transmission are 2 times more prone to failure than manual, even with disciplined maintenance culture. And the fact is it costs a lot more to fix an automatic tranny than manual. Most of the times automatic failure required change of tranny which is more expensive.

I fully agree with what you have said. But in all my years of driving(30 plus years) my cars and others, I have never had any cause to replace or repair any gearbox(automatic or manual).
I am either so lucky or my 1st repair is just around the corner!!!
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 4:35am On Jan 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Manual transmission in lagos, is a no no, with all that traffic in lagos?
Constant body aches would be the taxi drivers prescription, if he uses a manual!!!
So the danfo's all over Lagos or the BRT buses are automatic transmissions? Oversabi dey worry you
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 4:38am On Jan 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Transmission misalignment
Worn Clutch
Transmission Fluid

Transmission misalignment? In 28 years working in the Automotive Sector, I've never heard of that.

Worn clutch - this is not a maintenance issue, it's a repair. Clutches wear out due mostly to driving technique, poor clutch control, riding the clutch and resting a foot on the pedal. You can't set a maintenance schedule to prevent wear. I myself have never worn out a clutch. My 1995 Audi Coupé S2 had 543,000 miles on the odometer, and was still on the original clutch!

Gearbox oil - on a modern car, the oil should last the life of the car, heavy 4x4 trucks are exceptions. Barring leaks, the level shouldn't drop. So again, this is not a maintenance issue.

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Lexusgs430: 4:47am On Jan 25, 2016
Siena:

Transmission misalignment? In 28 years working in the Automotive Sector, I've never heard of that.

Worn clutch - this is not a maintenance issue, it's a repair. Clutches wear out due mostly to driving technique, poor clutch control, riding the clutch and resting a foot on the pedal. You can't set a maintenance schedule to prevent wear. I myself have never worn out a clutch. My 1995 Audi Coupé S2 had 543,000 miles on the odometer, and was still on the original clutch!

Gearbox oil - on a modern car, the oil should last the life of the car, heavy 4x4 trucks are exceptions. Barring leaks, the level shouldn't drop. So again, this is not a maintenance issue.

Read up on the 1st one or ask colleagues when you get to your garage.
Repair or maintenance, let's not use semantics. Repair can be deemed maintenance!!!!
Gearbox oil leaks still requires maintenance, or how do you know it requires top up(constant oil droppings or just general maintenance) ?

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 25, 2016
Lexusgs430:

I fully agree with what you have said. But in all my years of driving(30 plus years) my cars and others, I have never had any cause to replace or repair any gearbox(automatic or manual).
I am either so lucky or my 1st repair is just around the corner!!!

I get ur point. I also drive an auto and I'm not planning on switching to manual unless it is a rare classic. U can't compare personal driving experience with using a car for taxi services. It is different from just driving ur car to work, park it for several hours and drive it back home. Weekend cruise, occasional long distance travel.. That is normal driving conditions. But for a taxi, u have to be on the road for like 12 hours or so a day. Stop and go traffic, stopping to pick up and drop off passenger. My brother even oyinbo wey do car know say automatic transmission no go survive many years in that driving condition.

Why do u think cab companies all over the world prefer manual to automatic... Because the sole aim of a business is to make profit and they knkw they will make more profit using manuals than automatics for their fleet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by hassymo5(m): 5:24am On Jan 25, 2016
Manual cars are going into extinction.... latest cars are all AT....
so is just a mater of time no manual cars will be seen...

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Alal(m): 5:40am On Jan 25, 2016
Hello, in Lagos, auto, is better cos of traffic but manual is far better in terms of fuel economy. why, driving manual you can determine the gear to use but auto will dictate via its gear selector,you therefore consume more fuel and stress the car more with auto.
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by sisisioge: 8:02am On Jan 25, 2016
Manual...if push turns to shove,u can push it.
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 25, 2016
ThisisBuhari:
Forget please.

Guy u too dey vex, remember this is a forum people will express diverse views you can agree or disagree just state your facts. cheesy
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Lexusgs430: 9:05am On Jan 25, 2016
Drove my manual transmission this morning to the office, it was fun upshifting, downshifting and clutching down.
But that was a pleasure drive. On the other hand, if I was a taxi driver, the automatic wins!!!!
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by ALFREDFESTUS217(m): 9:10am On Jan 25, 2016
ThisisBuhari:
Please what transmission type 'auto or manual' is good for taxi business.

Experts advise.
manual drive is d best d engine wld last longer nd it also hlps d gear box call me if u need more lite 08173145768
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by tickles2luv2016(m): 11:46am On Jan 25, 2016
ThisisBuhari:

Experts advise.

I am a taxi driver and in my opinion i enjoy the manual vehicle that i drive because it saves me money in terms of maintainance,spareparts and its also economical,for instance i drive a manual volkswaggen passat and at a point in time i had a bad battery and my vehicle wouldn't start so i had to beg people to push for me in order to jumpstart it and it started working,compared to an automatic engine,you will be stranded at the spot till you buy another battery to move it because you cant jumpstart by people pushing it for you to get to a secured location.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 25, 2016
tickles2luv2016:

I am a taxi driver and in my opinion i enjoy the manual vehicle that i drive because it saves me money in terms of maintainance,spareparts and its also economical,for instance i drive a manual volkswaggen passat and at a point in time i had a bad battery and my vehicle wouldn't start so i had to beg people to push for me in order to jumpstart it and it started working,compared to an automatic engine,you will be stranded at the spot till you buy another battery to move it because you cant jumpstart by people pushing it for you to get to a secured location.

Spoken by a gentleman with true experience in the field.
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by tickles2luv2016(m): 11:56am On Jan 25, 2016
greenhulk:

I get ur point. I also drive an auto and I'm not planning on switching to manual unless it is a rare classic. U can't compare personal driving experience with using a car for taxi services. It is different from just driving ur car to work, park it for several hours and drive it back home. Weekend cruise, occasional long distance travel.. That is normal driving conditions. But for a taxi, u have to be on the road for like 12 hours or so a day. Stop and go traffic, stopping to pick up and drop off passenger. My brother even oyinbo wey do car know say automatic transmission no go survive many years in that driving condition.

Why do u think cab companies all over the world prefer manual to automatic... Because the sole aim of a business is to make profit and they knkw they will make more profit using manuals than automatics for their fleet.

I agree with you because this is what i do for a living and it is more cost efficient to drive a manual vehicle as a taxi driver compared to an automatic vehicle.
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by YuckFou: 1:11pm On Jan 25, 2016
ThisisBuhari:
NIGERIANS ALWAYS ANSWER QUESTION WITH QUESTION

Man: Why do nigerians always answer a question with a question?

Nigerian : Why do you ask ?

1 Like

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by galantjoe(m): 4:59pm On Jan 25, 2016
as for me to choose, it the automatic all the way. less stress and comfortable to drive.

Manual is stressful.
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by ThisisBuhari: 9:58pm On Jan 25, 2016
YuckFou:

Man: Why do nigerians always answer a question with a question?

Nigerian : Why do you ask ?
grin
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by rhames(m): 6:10pm On Jan 26, 2016
ThisisBuhari:

Experts advise.

The manual transmission is better than the auto for commercial purposes. Speaking from experience.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by joinnow: 1:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
LastSurvivor:
How many taxi or commercial bus av u entered that has auto transmission as gear

Next question pls
In Nigeria manual
Oversea automatic
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by Dottore: 11:27am On Jan 29, 2016
madgoat:

shocked Abeg where is the axle/gear oil compartment in a toyota automatic transmission car? Im just hearing of this and i have never changed it or checked it even though I have been driving the car for years.

Go to a good Lube bay, tell the mechanic to show you while he's under the vehicle. It's at the back of the gear box. Some mechanics don't even know it ibremember I argued with one about it until another proved him wrong. The oil that goes in there is SAE90
Re: Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? by dicksonadams(m): 10:43pm On Feb 15, 2019
How much to change automatic car to manual?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rolls Royce & Bentley : Shared History, Separated At Rebirth. / We’re Ready To Roll Out Chery And Higer Vehicles - PAN / How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.