Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (38316 Views)

Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife / Dangote Refinery: Graduate Trainees Vow To End Fuel Scarcity / Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Bluffly: 9:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Well OP said they deal with complex financial theories so I presume the applicants should have some form of maths knowledge.
Well that is right but you cannot know everything. The Op should have used parameters that will determine if they are trainable because if they do not have the skills they won't have gotten to that stage.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Bluffly: 9:19pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I don't need your goals or objectives. I don't care if you have leadership skills or not. Infact I don't care if they are introverts or sadist. All I want is a brain that can learn how to solve complex financial problems in the short period. I am a perfect introvert myself and I dislike chatting...just solve the problem before you that is all.
Can you solve all complex problems.

8 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Omotayor123(f): 9:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
Mrlekan07034617:

72 kwa? This ur own answer is too far from everyone's own
Its simple algebra nd the answer is 4..
shocked shocked tongue
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by ladyF(f): 9:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
mfm04622:

Correct but did you do it in 90 seconds?
Make I no lie o, e pass 90 seconds grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 9:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
6fit:

you are like dat person dat every job seeker will pray they do not come across when going for job interview. Am sure u did not even make a First class or even second class upper....if all recruiters are like yu, i wonder how saturated d labour market will be. Did yu get yur own job experience from heaven Anyway, if u dont employ dem another coy will do
I am very sure if I had given them a simple comprehension test people like you will complain. Where did I state that I am in Hr unit let alone a recruiter? That is the problem you have with people seek understanding before you type. And if you read properly you will see where I typed first class is as common as clay around here. What does that tell you?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Laryne(m): 9:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
cutetopsey:
€ is 4.

Question €/€ - €/6 = €/12.
Solution
€/€ = €/12+€/6
€/€= €+2€/12
€/€= 3€/12
Cross multiply
12€= 3€^2
Divide both sides by €
12€/€= 3€^2/€
12= 3€
Make € the subject of the formulae
€= 12/3
€=4
Ans = 4

BTW, check my signature on how to get rid excess tummy fats
With this kind of Maths, that job is definitely not for me...

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Mrlekan07034617: 9:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
Snipes009:
Now that you are forming versatility, answer this question. What will you use to measure the wrinkles on a flexible packaging material with dimension 560 x 420mm. Denier 600.? I'll be generous. You have 3 days to answer. Smh. Those guys went through many assessments for just one question, no matter how simple to cut 'em off. If na 1 vacancy dey, then fine. The op had to weed some off. But here, they needed more than 1 trainee. So 1-arithmetic question is so damn wrong! Btw, answer my question o, Mr. Versatility.

Lolz you are really funny!! So if I get this so called question of yours, its obvious u just went with speed into your old lecture notes to attack me because I advice its important one reads wide.

Just calm your nerves already because I don't have time for what u stated up there, I'm expecting your next comment and if possible another question from you.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by lurlah2014(f): 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Ghost01(m): 9:27pm On Feb 03, 2016
OP, you nor try o, at all!!!
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Mmadu111: 9:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

So someone should not acknowledge he's good again?
Of course you should but not at the detriment of ones' future, achieving sound results towards a firm's profitability and sustainability is not necessarily tide in solving arithmetics alone... .. embrace work attitudes, attention to instructions and rigorous practical work training to your employees. Mind you, someone could solve all arithmetic problems and under that shield, remain narrowly minded and lazy towards work productivity. Like I said earlier, put off pride, let others acknowledge you than you acknowledge your self. Thank you!.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by kaybams1(m): 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
Lol...Complaints have done no one any good? There is no test that seems fair as long as you didn't scale through. Talking about personal evaluation; I don't think there is anyone (Nigerian) that have risen so fast as I did except few Asian guys... I will advise you to strive to be better in your endeavours....

That's one enormous load of bullsh*t!. Like seriously? I resisted the urge to reply you but this ego of yours can power a turbine. You deal in complex financial theories bla bla bla. what's that? so in this era and time is that phony calculation you use to confirm prospective financial analyst? Do you even have a CFA? You didn't even test their knowledge on financial modeling through sophisticated softwares. Its primary school math you are using to form badoo. You need to check your ego at the door dude, you don't know anything!.

15 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2016
trigar12:

This question you gave them to solve, is it relevant to their job in that office, if NO

You just ruined ppl's hope, NA OVERSABI GO KILL YOU!!! waray undecided
It is relevant to their job.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by tosyne2much(m): 9:32pm On Feb 03, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Some jobs actually require you to think logically and critically under pressure.

If the applicant can't perform under pressure, he has no business being there.

Imagine the pilot of an aircraft freaking out when there's a turbulence.
Of course some jobs require critical thinking. But it's paramount to know that, the fact that some people can't think critically under pressure doesn't necessarily mean they are not intelligent

I as person cannot think critically when under intense pressure

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Drdreluv: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
Bro time is ticking...........simply use dis
€/€ -€/6 = €/12
1- €/6 = €/12
1= €/12 +€/6
1 = 3/12€ /
GudlockJoena:
Find walkthrough below:

1. €/€ - €/6 = €/12

............................€/€ =1. So equation becomes:

2. 1 - €/6 = €/12

..............................1 = 6/6. So equation becomes:

3. 6/6 - €/6 =€/12

...............................6/6 - €/6 = (6 - €) / 6. So equation becomes:

4. (6 - €)/6 = €/12

................................(6 - €)/6 = 2(6 - €)/12. So equation becomes:

5. 2(6 - €)/12 =€/12

.................................Therefore: 2(6 - €) = € i.e 12 - 2€ = €

.................................So 12 = € + 2€

.................................12 = 3€

.................................4 = €.
Goodnight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by missKiffy(f): 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
Lol...Complaints have done no one any good? There is no test that seems fair as long as you didn't scale through. Talking about personal evaluation; I don't think there is anyone (Nigerian) that have risen so fast as I did except few Asian guys... I will advise you to strive to be better in your endeavours....
You used one hour to coordinate urself, even at that u were still not ready and u didn't knw Wat to ask or do but u wuld rather judge the prospective trainees in 90secs, God dey sha, if you knw how bad I feel for dos guys rite nw, u wuld tink I knw dem personally. It is well, God will provide a better place for dem

10 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
kaybams1:

That's one enormous load of bullsh*t!. Like seriously? I resisted the urge to reply you but this ego of yours can power a turbine. You deal in complex financial theories bla bla bla. what's that? so in this era and time is that phony calculation you use to confirm prospective financial analyst? Do you even have a CFA? You didn't even test their knowledge on financial modeling through sophisticated softwares. Its primary school math you are using to form badoo. You need to check your ego at the door dude, you don't know anything!.
They are from different backgrounds. I just gave them something to think on. Just to see how they think that is all. People answered that same question without stress so? Now someone asked if I had First class I answered and the others Tagged me "Proud". Answering your question will make me "prouder" ...But I am good at what I do. If a fresh trainee can't think on their toes....then you got to be kidding

3 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by emenideen(m): 9:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
maths is sin...

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 9:41pm On Feb 03, 2016
missKiffy:

You used one hour to coordinate urself, even at that u were still not ready and u didn't knw Wat to ask or do but u wuld rather judge the prospective trainees in 90secs, God dey sha, if you knw how bad I feel for dos guys rite nw, u wuld tink I knw dem personally. It is well, God will provide a better place for dem
I always have anxiety meeting people for the first time no matter who they are. I coordinated for an hour means I had to ensure I have taken care of things that needed utmost urgency. It doesn't mean I was pacing.....it was basic algebra for crying out loud....
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by missKiffy(f): 9:42pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I don't need your goals or objectives. I don't care if you have leadership skills or not. Infact I don't care if they are introverts or sadist. All I want is a brain that can learn how to solve complex financial problems in the short period. I am a perfect introvert myself and I dislike chatting...just solve the problem before you that is all.
Your just an arrogant fool

12 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Urine: 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I received a call from the Hr unit that they are sending 5 Trainees to me for confirmation. I was surprised because they didn't give me a prior notice. When I Queried the lady from the Hr unit she said the Senior Partner (HOD) contacted them that he will travelling to the UK that I can go ahead with the confirmation.

I was a bit nervous because I find it difficult relating with people, what do I ask them? Moreover I have too much on my hands already. I told Hr to give me an hour so that I can coordinate myself tongue....The truth is if you confirm a trainee and He/she under performs, it tells badly on your record. Here I am always striving to maintain a spotless record now this challenge doesn't look good.

Exactly an hour later Hr unit called again that they are on their way, I told her to take them to the conference room.....30mins later I joined them Lo and Behold I saw 5 well dressed gentlemen and ladies 3 guys and 2 ladies. I stared at them and they were looking back at me (which kind witch be this I said to myself) They thought I was testing them truth is I don't even know what to say or ask....."tell me your names I started".....after all the blah blah.....i went through their cv's it was good. 3 had first class. it was B.A trainee, I looked at their aptitude test performances read their essays great; yet I didn't know what further qstns to ask. So I wrote down a simple arithmetic on the board and I gave them 90s to solve. Only one got it right within the time frame (A lady!!!!; she bagged First class from Reading University UK). I thanked them for their interest in joining us. I sent my remarks to Hr and they were shocked. Hr Manager had to call me explaining that they have spent so such on the recruitment exercise and approving just one means they have to continue the exercise. I simply told him Mr ***a** you can confirm the rest.

This was the simple problem I wrote on the board.

€/€ - €/6 = €/12......what is the value of €?

So I am asking you, how good are you with basic reasoning?

Marxxx! You act and type like a top lad, unfortunately you're not one. I went through this entire thread with the lads on my team and we can't stop laughing. I love your honesty though, it made it easy to identify your weakness (the emboldened parts).
I have been recruiting very smart Software Devs for a while now, trust me, two junior devs on my team will carry this task out under 15 minutes. Wish you all the best but on this task you failed woefully, admitting that will only make you a better person.

Modified: I just read your other thread about your girlfriend and I now understand you better, I feel a bit of sympathy for you (I've been there), but you still need to deal with your weakness.

21 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 03, 2016
E383:
Lol.

OP. You are an idiot.

If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live all it's life thinking it is stupid.

You just succeeded in making some smart Nigerians have a terrible day.

spot on.

the OP is so dumb that stuff he wrote up there is just gibberish. makes no f$$kinh sense cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by bigfrancis21: 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I received a call from the Hr unit that they are sending 5 Trainees to me for confirmation. I was surprised because they didn't give me a prior notice. When I Queried the lady from the Hr unit she said the Senior Partner (HOD) contacted them that he will travelling to the UK that I can go ahead with the confirmation.

I was a bit nervous because I find it difficult relating with people, what do I ask them? Moreover I have too much on my hands already. I told Hr to give me an hour so that I can coordinate myself tongue....The truth is if you confirm a trainee and He/she under performs, it tells badly on your record. Here I am always striving to maintain a spotless record now this challenge doesn't look good.

Exactly an hour later Hr unit called again that they are on their way, I told her to take them to the conference room.....30mins later I joined them Lo and Behold I saw 5 well dressed gentlemen and ladies 3 guys and 2 ladies. I stared at them and they were looking back at me (which kind witch be this I said to myself) They thought I was testing them truth is I don't even know what to say or ask....."tell me your names I started".....after all the blah blah.....i went through their cv's it was good. 3 had first class. it was B.A trainee, I looked at their aptitude test performances read their essays great; yet I didn't know what further qstns to ask. So I wrote down a simple arithmetic on the board and I gave them 90s to solve. Only one got it right within the time frame (A lady!!!!; she bagged First class from Reading University UK). I thanked them for their interest in joining us. I sent my remarks to Hr and they were shocked. Hr Manager had to call me explaining that they have spent so such on the recruitment exercise and approving just one means they have to continue the exercise. I simply told him Mr ***a** you can confirm the rest.

This was the simple problem I wrote on the board.

€/€ - €/6 = €/12......what is the value of €?

So I am asking you, how good are you with basic reasoning?

€ = 12.
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Jamean(f): 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
davide470 about six years ago when I got to this stage, I was confirmed by an Indian. We were 18 only 3 were picked. To be candid if I asked them the questions that Indian man asked me six years ago I am very sure none will scale through. Your degree (1.1, 2.1) shows you are capable of learning, But it doesn't show your speed or rate of learning. We deal with very complex financial theories. Moreover first class is as common as clay around here. Trainees are very expensive to maintain. So when they under perform...your decision making skill will be questioned...Arithmetic (Numerical skill) determines alot. Sometimes you get incomplete data from a client and you are supposed to advise them based on the data. They are paying you millions for that, do you tell them incomplete data? You reason out the rest from God knows where....so I was fair enough...

So if you think you were fair enough why come waste pages of a thread here Abi conscience dey judge you or you need attention from us that you never get in real life because people know how terrible you are. mtcheeew!

I hope it's not at a late stage of your life and filled with vanity that you will learn about "having a human face"

7 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by demolinka(m): 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
But why me dey get 6228.12

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Tinu02(f): 9:52pm On Feb 03, 2016
I read all the comment and I couldn't do anything but shake my head. I think the trainee are even lucky to be ask such question but its pure elementary math even a ten year old can solve it even under tension.
If you can't solve simple arithmetic under tension is it complex arithmetic u will now solve this are Graduate for crying out loud. But the Op should have engage them in discussion after seeing the result.
Don't come for me.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by vareal(m): 9:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
There is a beta job for them out there. U hav done well f nt lettin them in. Hu knws hw ur firm wl pay. Wit such small salary u wnt them to sove all the maths in the world. Wonder if u ar employin them to solve maths fo u
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 9:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
Urine:

Marxxx! You act and type like a top lad, unfortunately you're not one. I went through this entire thread with the lads on my team and we can't stop laughing. I love your honesty though, it made it easy to identify your weakness (the emboldened parts).
I have been recruiting very smart Software Devs for a while now, trust me, two junior devs on my team will carry this task out under 15 minutes. Wish you all the best but on this task you failed woefully, admitting that will only make you a better person.
That is the basic problem. People don't comprehend. I am not a recruiter. I am not in Hr unit. I have not Interviewed anyone my whole life. Yes I didn't know what to ask them because they only called me few hours ago. I did what I did because I just wanted to see how they think under pressure. About me failing don't judge yet until the trainee I confirmed under performs. I hope she doesn't....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
kaybams1:

If the goat is a CFA then ill understand where his problem really reside. Tune to CNBC every morning and watch these CFA's run their mouths. they pretend to know how the financial markets work but are a bunch of contrary indicators. There's a joke in financial circles that, if you want to make a ton of money, do the exact opposite of what a CFA prescribes

3 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by amokeme(f): 10:04pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
If I were you, This will challenge me. This will make me smarter. I faced worse during my confirmation period. Learn to accept challenges rather than complain about the nature of the challenge....it won't change anything
the whole world should crumble at your feet because of that??
Well if I were you (God for bid) ill go and learn interactive skills. You are feeling like a "Boss" but the only thing you did was use your weakness against them! embarassed
Low self esteemed people are just terrible!

9 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Urine: 10:05pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
That is the basic problem. People don't comprehend. I am not a recruiter. I am not in Hr unit. I have not Interviewed anyone my whole life. Yes I didn't know what to ask them because they only called me few hours ago. I did what I did because I just wanted to see how they think under pressure. About me failing don't judge yet until the trainee I confirmed under performs. I hope she doesn't....

Calm down mate, I'm not a recruiter myself, I'm a Software Developer, that's what I was trained to do but one of the responsibilities of functioning at this level is that I must be involved in the recruitment of Junior Devs, same task your Senior Partner gave you. Unfortunately your actions are adequate enough to earn a rating, you have work to do Marxxx lad.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 10:05pm On Feb 03, 2016
missKiffy:

Your just an arrogant fool
wow I think I have had enough from you for one night. Do me a favour, please do not comment on any of my topic or quote me again. I have taken cognisance of your monicker I will ensure I do same...I will very much appreciate you keep to this.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by bezimo(m): 10:07pm On Feb 03, 2016
abbey621:

I've graduated since 2008 and I didn't get the answer till after 5 minutes. I manage over 40 personnel in my department some are programmers, some are Database managers, all are good arithmetically but I'm in charge of all of them. I was directly involved in the hiring process for 25 out of 40 of them and I can't imagine asking them something as frivolous as an arithmetic question. I still don't understand the usefulness of the arithmetic question when it's been proving times without number that behavioral questions are more effective than quantitative questions when assessing job candidates!

I graduated in 2010, though have an engineering background. I got that question in about 30 seconds.If I was among those candidates I am sure I would have gotten that job with the slightest of effort. While I agree with you about the mostly used method for assessing candidates for job opportunities, it would again depend on the nature of Job, if the job requires a lot of thinking on the feet and calculations to make decisions, it wouldnt be out of place to ask such kind of questions that the Op asked to the 5 candidates.I am of the belief than an interview process should not be restricted to an expected certain type of questions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Mass Retirement Of Senior NDDC Staff Looms / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering / Twitter Refuses To Pay African Employees, Replies With Poop Emoji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.