Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device (45029 Views)

Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Iphone Device / Why Do Majority Of Smartphone Users In Nigeria Detest Windows Phone? / Don't Use Second-Hand Phones - NCC Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Lovexme(m): 1:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
Some of those reasons have been debunked.

You can download on iPhones, and even send files (download the app; Xender) too.

3 Likes

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by mosjames: 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
Even if apple phone are cheap, some people will still opt for tecno, gionee and co.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Did u not know op stated Nigeria when u made the comment below.

Apple has less then 1% market share in Nigeria, and we don't have documented figures of number if iphones sold in Nigeria. Only a few Nigerians actually go to stores to buy a brand new iPhone.. Iphone 5c sold millions, but not as much as iPhone 5s because people that actually buy iphones don't care about the price, what they care about is the build quality and performance which was lacking in the 5c. Another main reason the 5s sold much was because apple introduced the fingerprint scanner in the iPhone 5s. That was the first phone with this feature, and it was lacking in the 5c, so people would rather pay the additional 100-150$ to get this new feature.

Where in the comment did it talk about another market?? The fingerprint that was equipped in the 5S wasn't doing anything besides unlocking . BTW, iPhone 5s wasn't the first phone that featured fingerprint scanner. Don't mislead the public

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
donwise1:
7 Reasons Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use Iphone Devices

iPhone is the most sold smartphone brand all over the world especially in the United States of America, England, Belgium and even China but it is not the case in Nigeria as most Nigerians don't use iPhone devices because of the reasons I will state out in this post.

Though iOS devices are one of the most secured phones and sleek to handle plus some spectacular specifications, but there are few things that makes the marketing and progress of iOS devices in Nigeria not as booming as other phone brands.

WHY NIGERIANS DON'T NORMALLY USE iPHONES
1. Price
As widely known, a reasonable number of Nigerians lives below $2 dollars a day and this makes them prefer cheaper smartphones like the Chinese phone brands. You can attest to this with the high rate of sales recorded on infinix, Tecno, gionee and the rest in Nigeria. iPhones cost a lot of money and most average Nigerians can't just afford it.

2. Lack Of Total Customization
Yes this is another major reasons why Nigerians neglect iPhone devices. How can I buy a phone and become a slave to the phone instead of been the master? Unlike in Android devices where you can root and customize it the way you want. In fact, you can tweak the hell out of any Android phone and make it completely different from how it was when you bought it. Though you can jailbreak iPhone but still you can't have the complete customization right as Android users.

3. Few Free Browsing Cheats To Tweak
Yes. This is absolutely my own main reason why I don't fancy iPhones. Though I still tweak iPhone for free browsing cheats but definitely all the available cheats can not be tweaked on Android. One of the most hardest thing to do on and iOS device is to tweak the IMEI numbers. But in android, it is as simple as ABCD. There are still very few free browsing cheats for iPhone. Click HERE to see how to use MTN BIS on iPhone and iPad.

4. Fear Of Men Of The Underworld
It is very necessary to put vital things in consideration before soaking yourself into it. In a typical African setting, Nigeria in particular, every individual is conscious of his environment and there have been many reported cases of theft and snatching of iPhones from people on many occasions. One phone brand that recorded more snatching is than iPhone is BlackBerry devices as many guys and even ladies were caught red handed and stripped on many occasions. So people are now more conscious and opt for cheaper phones. What will it profit a man to buy an iPhone 6 with more than N120,000 and loose it to a jobless fool out there.

5. No Freedom To Install Apps
One annoying thing is lack of freedom to download apps as you like just like the way it is on Android phones. There are applications like blackmart, apptoid, apkmoded etc that lets you download premium apps for free on your Android device. But it is not possible on iPhones. In fact, most of the apps on iTunes are paid apps.

6. Inability To Download Stuffs From Other Sources.
Another disadvantage in using iPhone is that in a normal case, you can't install apps, download music, videos, and other files from unknown sources except iTunes. Nigerians like free stuffs and diversity, but iPhone denies them of that.

7. Inability To Transfer Files
iPhone devices are very stingy and won't allow you to transfer files to a non iPhone device except you jailbreak the iPhone. How can I be using phone and I can't collect or send music and pictures from another phone? It's absolutely ridiculous and another reason why Nigerians don't fancy iPhones.

The above points are just the major reasons why we Nigerians don't fancy iPhones. However, few people that are using it is just using it for flexing and claiming big boys and girls. Yes. That is the bitter truth. Check most of them that are using it, there is no spectacular different thing they are doing with the device. I was even surprised to see one of my neighbors that uses iPhone but haven't browsed the internet for over three weeks. Chai!!! How can someone in this technology era stay a whole day without browsing the internet not to talk of three weeks without data.

When I asked him why, my guy told me there is no money to subscribe for data. So tell me, what is the gain of using an iPhone if you can't brows and do other tweaking on it?

A food for thought!

SOURCE...WIZYTECHS

Please link to page for Mtn bis on iPhone not working, cry
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by OBJ3(m): 2:10pm On Feb 04, 2016
It's basically a matter of preference & adaptability.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by STAINlESSobule: 2:11pm On Feb 04, 2016
hmmmmmmm!!!
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by 9jatatafo(m): 2:14pm On Feb 04, 2016
iPhone rocks
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by danidee10(m): 2:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
i don't use iphone cuz it's uselessly useless.....just kidding it's too expensive for nothing and also most of the users and apple fanboys in general are always lying about the specs and the phone just to feel good that they bought one expensive crap.... grin

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by ayaside(m): 2:23pm On Feb 04, 2016
I just don't like Iphone and I know some Americans who don't. Not because of the price or anything
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Ramon92: 2:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
Booyakasha:
Nigeria is still underdeveloped for the majority to be using high-end phones or anything high-end tech like the mac laptops or even Samsung Galaxy's.... no matter how rich you are, your non-technical friends or family members might call you unserious for "wasting such amount for mere accessories".
ninja programmer.... I'm intrigued
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by holluwai(m): 2:25pm On Feb 04, 2016
I still use an iPhone and I use it to the max!

wink
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by odedipapa(m): 2:26pm On Feb 04, 2016
OP, Xender has knocked point number 7. I send files with ease from my android phone to my iPad.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Horlufemi(m): 2:26pm On Feb 04, 2016
The day iOS goes open is the day android will die.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
Horlufemi:
The day iOS goes open is the day android will die.

undecided

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Ola17: 2:37pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Yes dude, the main reason is price. IPhone 5c was an underpowered iPhone, even at that it was sold for almost the same price as the galaxy s4 and HTC one m7. We are talking Nigeria here, not rest of the world. In other parts of the world where iPhone has a strong base, iPhone customers don't care about price, they only care about premium. So the iPhone 5c was like a step backward for apple and it was just about $100 cheaper than the more powerful iPhone 5s. So customers would rather buy the 5s, u know why? Because people that buy iPhone don't care about price, even if apple sell their iphones for $1,000 people will still buy it. Nigeria market has almost zero iPhone market share.

How much do you think iPhone 6 costs? It costs at least a thousand dollars.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Malc(m): 2:37pm On Feb 04, 2016
Omo!!! better soup, nah money kill am; PRICE is the major restraining factor.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by jericco1(m): 2:38pm On Feb 04, 2016
To me the one and only reason is the price.....imagine iPhone 6 plus to be 40k....who go consider the other things wey u list

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Konpresor012(m): 2:40pm On Feb 04, 2016
Donwise1

Op we have iOS gurus in this house ooo, first lemme start to introduce myself as iOS developer in profession.

1. Price:

You made mention of price, this one I will not argue because iPhone is meant for big people

2. Lack Of Total Customization:

Who told you iOS lack of total customization? Do know I can customize the theme of iOS device into that of android? As far as your device is jailbkroken you can customize your iDevice the way you want it --------FALSE:

3. Few Free Browsing Cheats To Tweak:[/b

Yes you're right, iOS has less free browsing tweak because it IMEI can't be changed. But come to think of this dude, iOS encrypt IMEI for our own safety. For example, if someone stole/lost my iPhone I can easily locate and retrieve it using IMEI, and if the person that stole your iPhone is in a unknown location, you can easily format your iPhone in other not to have access to some of your important informations. Or u can easily lock the iPhone, it will become useless to him. Reserve the case for android, when someone stole your android phone and changes the IMEI, then that is it.

[b]4. Fear Of Men Of The Underworld:

It can happen to any phone brand, I don't know what you're talking here :/ -----FALSE

5. No Freedom To Install Apps:

As I said earlier, once you jailbreak your iDevice, there's nothing you can't do with it. Those app you mentioned tell me what they do and I will tell you a tweak in cydia that does the same, and you made mentioned of paid app, they are so many cracked app that enables you to download paid apps for free, eg AppCake ------ FALSE:

6. Inability To Download Stuffs From Other Sources.

Very very very untrue, who told you you can't download stuffs from unknown resources? I can mention more than 10 AppStore app that enables you to download everything you see on Internet, eg, iDownloader, Download HD, TDownloader, etc ------ FALSE:

7. Inability To Transfer Files:

OP who told you that you cant transfer stuffs from iDevice to other phones? We have xender in the AppStore and there is a tweak that enables you transfer files through Bluetooth ------FALSE

Conclusion: OP you just created this thread base on your ignorance for iOS.
Cc; mods, Lalasticlala take note, I may create a thread to counter this thread, we the iPhone users we cant just sit and watch android users spreading lies on us.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by abdulaz: 2:40pm On Feb 04, 2016
Even if the price of iPhone were to be reduced for any reason, the amount of people going for Android would still be higher than the ones going for iPhone.
This is because, in reducing the price of an iPhone to the same price as that of an average Android phone, the former with limited or no custumization feature, no free apps, only paid apps are are the good apps, can't take apps from other sources, can't tweak, also most of its mobile services are not present in third world countries like Nigeria, eg, no 4G or LTE network, no wifi, just limited to cellular network with 3G as slow as snail, while the later is doing all the aforementioned, any Nigerian would probably go for the later not considering the name of the product, but the flexibility and value in its usage.

Take this for example, an antibiotic sold by two reputable pharmaceutical companies with the same quality of the said drug, one recorded increase in sale because he sold at an affordable price while the other recorded low sales because of its high price. One is a value for money while the other one is just a luxury.

Take also the case of bbm before and after going cross-platform.

You can't introduce a product into a market when you know majority of the populace won't be able to afford it's services, that is why the OP's neighbor has an iPhone but couldn't subscribe to use the internet.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by iamgiggssleaky(m): 2:40pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

I get ur point, what I'm against was ur initial post where u said iPhone value will drop if they reduce the price. If apple can sell 13 million iphones in 3 days selling for between $700-900, now how many units do u think they would sell of they decide to reduce the price to $400 for just 5 days. Trust me within that 5 days they will sell 50 million units.

I admire the way you reason. you are absolutely right about the point you stated. but that's "if it's reduced for only 5days" meaning it will still return to its normal price and the people that got it for that price will only feel lucky they did. moreover, you just gave statistics about the global figure which I blv Nigeria which is the case study here didn't contribute massively to that feat.

I was referring to a situation where the price will completely drop to the extent that an average Nigerian can buy the iPhone and remain that way as it's normal price and not a bonanza.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by 49cents(m): 2:41pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Majority of Nigerians use phones that cost below 40k. A few use android phones and blackberries that are over 100k, while a fraction use iphones. But if the iPhone is sold for less than 40k, trust me that is the phone majority will be using. So bros forget, the only genuine reason is PRICE.

When iPhone becomes 'pure water' because it's cheap then trust me the demand for it will drop.

iPhone is considered a status symbol that's why people desire for social reasons; but the moment 'everyone' can afford it, people will "suddenly" that it's other limitations which the OP listed
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by toprealman: 2:42pm On Feb 04, 2016
They are incompatible with a lot of stuffs out there.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Sman37(m): 2:43pm On Feb 04, 2016
Even nokia symbian is better dan Iphon chai how do u expect Nigerian to buy a phon and stil wil surffr wit d phone to buy som usles apps so far so good Android is d leading Os weathr American used it oh not mtsw mus we copy USA in all tings at Android have many APps equal windows softwares (laptop)
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 04, 2016
7 reasons is too much i will give you, I can't pay that sh.it amount of money and still be dictated with what i can do or can't do with my phone.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by PecE2Make: 2:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
My reason is non of the above I just disliked it.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

Where in the comment did it talk about another market?? The fingerprint that was equipped in the 5S wasn't doing anything besides unlocking . BTW, iPhone 5s wasn't the first phone that featured fingerprint scanner. Don't mislead the public

Of course iPhone 5s is not the first phone with fingerprint scanner, it was actually the Motorola atrix 4g, but Apple made it better with the iPhone 5s. And u misread my comment again, what I meant was iPhone 5s was the first iPhone with a fingerprint scanner, and the first phone that actually made fingerprint scanner worth using and that was a huge selling point. Motorola atrix 4g had fingerprint scanner 2 years before the iPhone 5s, but it was impractical, buggy and nobody gave a damn about it, the placement was wrong and u had to swipe ur finger, reason no other OEM bothered putting it in their phone. But the moment Apple added a fingerprint scanner in their iPhone 5s, every other OEM made it a priority to add it to their flagship phones. Today no phones with fingerprint scanner require swiping of finger... All thanks to Apple.

Apple are not the first to create lots of products, but the moment Apple decides to compete in A certain tech market, every other OEMS shiver and buckle up. Apple did not make the first touchscreen smartphone, but iPhone was the phone to beat back in 2007 when it came out. They did not make the first mp3 player but the iPod killed every other mp3 players. They did not make the first tablet but the iPad changed the tablet market. That is to tell u apple put in more effort and whatever they release is top quality unlike other OEMS that bring out half baked products into the market. The Motorola fingerprint was half baked, apple made it a revolutionary feature.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Boeing777pilot: 2:52pm On Feb 04, 2016
donwise1:
7 Reasons Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use Iphone Devices

iPhone is the most sold smartphone brand all over the world

You can lie oh shocked
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Boeing777pilot: 2:54pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:
There is only 1 reason.....

PRICE.

If the iPhone sells for the same price as infinix hot note, then trust me people will say 'to hell with customization or tweaking or inability to transfer files'.

If the iPhone sells for the same price as gionee m5, then u will know customization, tweaking, changing of imei doesn't mean sh*t.

Not true.
IPhone can be very frustrating to use especially when you are coming from the liberty of Android.

It's like moving from freedom to captivity.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 04, 2016
This is very simple iphone = Rolls Royce while Androids = our normal ever day cars (even though there are some flagship androids out there). That being said i use both iphone & android just to have a feel of both worlds and the both have their excitements and various limitations.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ola17:

How much do you think iPhone 6 costs? It costs at least a thousand dollars.

IPhone 6s 16gb is about $700 while the 64gb is between 800-850usd. The one that is sold for about $1,000 is the iPhone 6s plus.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
cc
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:
If its about price. There are peeps that spent over that amount to buy android and blackberry phones. So I don't think it's price.

Anybody willing to spend a fortune to pick up a high end android phone could use the same amount to pick up an iphone.
it's price. people are becoming wiser now after tecno opened their eyes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Xiaomi Mi A3 Unboxing, Review & Price. Mi A3 + GCAM Vs iPhone 11 Pro Camera / The B29 Story: My Experience At Ikeja Computer Village Today / Best Internet Plan For Heavy Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.