Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

With Velvet Gloves. - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / With Velvet Gloves. (27081 Views)

The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / Blue Velvet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2017
Barr. Osaze took him to a corner once the recess had started

Calistus, what did I say about answering questions on who did what on that day?
Am sorry. I was nervous there. I don't know what.........
What do you mean by that, Calistus? Mr Bamidele asked, looking furious. Do you know what you have done?
Calm down, Mr Bamidele. We know that the witness booth cab be nerve racking in the right conditions. But Calistus, this will likely be the end of the case. If the judge was different, I could have tried to convince the judge otherwise but then.......
But then ?
Barr. Calistus looked around warily.
There is something off about the judge. He has given the prosecuting judge too much leverage and he does not seem to look at the case objectively as every judge should.
But he has not given any verdict.
Yes, Ada. He hasn't. But his body language spoke otherwise.
What's body language?
The way the body reacts to pieces of information that the environment gives.
Barr. Osaze, let's hope you are wrong. Mr Bamidele said. For now, these legs need to rest.
That's true.
They all walked towards the pews in silence.

A few minutes later, the court resumed.
The judge stood, looked at Ebuka and shook his head.
The evil that men do live after them. That Mr Ebuka here has committed all to the altar of ambition and have broken the laws of our land is a shame. The fact that he is already the main recipient of his mother's generosity when she sheltered him like a good mother makes his offences more grievous. This is my judgement.
Mr Ebuka has been found guilty of abducting a school girl and the possible murder of the said girl as well as the murder of his mother. He is therefore sentenced to death by the firing squad two weeks from now.
Court arise!
Ebuka's mouth suddenly ran dry.

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 4:32pm On Oct 08, 2017
Pls more update [color=#770077][/color]
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by ozila(m): 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2017
following
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by itsandi(m): 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2017
Nice story...Enjoy other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Twinkle004(f): 5:14pm On Oct 08, 2017
rapmike thumbs � for you. The suspense is wow.nice one
I wonder the Calistus decided to be used by the devil. I hope Ebuka won't die oo
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by crislyn(f): 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2017
What! death by firing squad?? Welcome back rapmike...a big welcome.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 2:15pm On Oct 09, 2017
Oga! Oga!
Yes? Detective arinze looked at the constable rushing towards him. since the failed attempt on mogu, he had taken a less than interested view on the Okonkwo's case. the facts that his superiors took just a glancing view at kolade's disappearance and that kolade had decided to ignore the case altogether did not help, as it left him standing all alone in a huge mess.
That persin wey kill im mama, dey don sentence am to death!
Ehen? When did it happen?
Na this afternoon, na today dem don the final hearing.
Arinze's stomach twisted in agony. He knew that Ebuka was innocent, at least that was the analysis he could come out with. Of course going to court to prove his innocence was trying to bore a hole into a mountain using your hand and a nail.It was going to be a lost cause to even open the case again, unless.....
Abdul, what did the defence lawyer say?
Sir?
The lawyer wey talk for am, wetin im talk? Shey he talk say im go take am go another court?
No.
No? Detective Arinze thought. Normally that will be the first option, after all it was not the Supreme Court that delivered judgement on this case. In fact a Magistrate Court is not even a high level court.
He thought of Adaobi and groaned inwardly. He should have had her number since, probably ages ago but he knows better. He can't afford to mix emotions into his case and that is what will happen if he tried it.
He had little contact with her throughout the case, but that was more than enough for him to develop feelings for her. Since the first day he saw her, beautiful in sorrow and grief, his emotions have stirred in ways it has not been since Nike.

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 8:59pm On Oct 09, 2017
Nice and interesting story thumbs up mike
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:44pm On Oct 10, 2017
Nike was his first and currently only girl he had romantic feelings for. He was young, in secondary school and naive, thinking that they had shared something unstoppable. He always came around to visit her and they shared whatever he brought from home, ranging from biscuits to cash. He had publicly taken insults for her and even got himself a good beating from some seniors over her. All that ended when he caught his Mathematics teacher teaching her the art of motion and propulsion in his office. His heart was shattered into many pieces which was grounded to dust when he got to realize that she was a 'free for all' girl.
He wiped his brow and went into the office. Right now Nike was faraway, married and maybe divorced. She had no hold on him and he was determined that Ada will not replace her in his memory.
Guy, wetin you wan do this night? I get one club for V.I wey I dey hit. I hear say the babes there make sense.
So? He looked at Detective Kolade quizzically.
I need person to follow me there now. E go make sense if we go together.
Detective Arinze shook his head, but then stood up.
Let's go. He knew he needed a time out.

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Eyinimofeoluwa(f): 9:54pm On Oct 10, 2017
[quote author=rapmike post=61208333]I am back. Will hopefully continue during the next week.

Jane1234f Misselocon Eyinimofeoluwa Jumizie13 Cleopatra4 Akinwale14 Venica henergygirl MhizDherbee Kaycee7 Tuhndhay
ceedarlin1 Missmossy bimberry1307(f), rosieluv (f), sekxy (f), Eyinimofeoluwa(f), MhizDherbee(f), Missnande(f), Tpresh(f), yeeshanana(f), yewande1234(f), gracile (f), queenpheesah(f), Oyindidi(f), Evablizin(f), Khallyella(f), harunablezin(f), IfyOaks(f), PharmaGirl(f), OTAIFOHJ(m), Lilyjoe567(f), BiafraBushBoy(m), Angelinastto(f), degelinglacis, AudreyTimms (f), PrettyMizQdot(f), Diznie (f), Venica(f), Shalomdee(f), LitQueen(f), Maryclaire1(f), darbeelicous(f), NegeduGrace(f), splendidiva(f), cerowo (f), SweetPuffPuff, NevetsIbot, preccy69(f), Eniqurl(f), folakemigeh(f), kayemjay (m), charytea(f), MainHerioneHoon(f), StephDamielola(f), holatimmy(f), devilmaycry (m), SurestG (f), Marinee(f), dollyjoy(f), Justeenaleo(f), Amarabae(f) Aiit no p bro...wil b here

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Akinwale14(m): 3:16pm On Oct 11, 2017
[quote author=Eyinimofeoluwa post=61299558][/quote]Thanks

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Taniaa(f): 3:43pm On Oct 11, 2017
The suspense is keenly epic.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by itsandi(m): 4:20pm On Oct 11, 2017
Nice one! Enjoy other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2017
Very interesting story pls more
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by MhizDherbee(f): 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2017
[quote author=Eyinimofeoluwa post=61299558][/quote] No lele
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 1:10pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ebuka looked up to the sky, feeling melancholic. It was the 5th day after his verdict yet it haunted him like a terrible dream. He remembered everything- his knees slumping, his sister fainted, the mixture of emotions that saturated the courtroom. He saw Calistus face, looking like he just swallowed some cow feaces.
Later that day, Barr. Osaze promised to get an appeal, only for him to have his appeal fail yesterday. He was then visited by Mr Ademola, who explained that the principal had tried to come to the court on the last day, only for him to be attacked on his way to court. Kemi had been released immediately after the attack, so the person after his life must have known this.
The mysterious person who is sponsoring his enemies, who planned this. He knew nothing of this person, just that he must be well connected and quite close to him to pull this off.
He was trying to get his mind off Calistus. Calistus the accuser, he called him in his mind. He wanted to seriously believe that Calistus had nothing to do with this. He and his younger brother had butted heads more times than not and most of the time he had come out tops when his mother intervened. This had left his brother quite angry and resentful during his early teens but he had changed later on. Thats what Ebuka hoped anyway, since they kept butting heads even at his mother's death.
Even after his brother came to visit him.
Even now.

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Jane1234f(f): 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ride on
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2017
Such a life
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Akinwale14(m): 11:05am On Oct 14, 2017
Na wa oo, rapmike Weldon jare
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:21pm On Oct 14, 2017
He thought about his sister, Adaobi. She had been the baby of the house and his mother had tried her best to shield her from this reality. Yet she was the one who seemed to turn out the strongest. She was calmer than him, even after he was arrested. She always assured him that everything will be fine, giving him courage while filling him in on what everyone has been doing to make sure that he gets released. It was from her he realized that Calistus had done nothing so far. In fact the last time that Barr. Osaze and her came to meet him to discuss bringing in Calistus as a witness, she was the only one who objected. She stated that Calistus was behaving too shady to be trusted, giving nothing to the cause apart from shutting down everything she suggested. Barr. Osaze saw no reason to ignore him and even called her arrogant.
At the end it was Calistus who put all the nails to his coffin. He appeared remorseful after that, though he could be pretending.
A sudden thought went through Ebuka's mind, the same thought that he had been pushing out.
Calistus was the culprit.
As he groaned inwardly at the conflict of thought, a guard came to meet him.
You get visitor.
As the prison guard moved away, he saw Calistus give him a weak smile.
How are you, brother?

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 8:23pm On Oct 14, 2017
Justice for Ebuka. Nice work rapmike
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Jane1234f(f): 10:27pm On Oct 14, 2017
God will surely vindicate Ebuka
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by bossy512(f): 12:28pm On Oct 15, 2017
Jane1234f:
God will surely vindicate Ebuka
Amen, I pity him, all because money

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Twinkle004(f): 5:51pm On Oct 15, 2017
I feel for Ebuka but I pray the judgement won't come to pass

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 12:45am On Oct 17, 2017
Hmn. Ebuka grunted.
Am sorry about this. Calistus looked smiling. This is as painful for me as it is for you.
Really, Calistus? You are here looking hale and healthy and obviously happy.
I am not as happy as you think. His smoke disappeared. I was just trying to be cheerful.
OK.
Calistus leaned towards the prison bars. I am truly sorry for your pains. To end your life this way is quite depressing.
How is Ada taking it?
She is holding up, but I suspect that she would break soon. Mr Bamidele isn't taking it easy too. He keeps moaning about how the family has been scattered after her death and how brothers should not be fighting each other.
What about you?
Well, to be frank I don't know what to think. Yes, I will inherit a lot of properties but the fact that you are dying because of that is saddening.
Thats a lie. Ebuka's eyes shot fire. You are happy about it, I suspect that you planned this.
Yes I do. Calistus.

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by bossy512(f): 6:23am On Oct 17, 2017
Hmmm, nice one
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 6:29am On Oct 17, 2017
Pls more,nice update
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 7:44am On Oct 17, 2017
Ebuka choked on thin air.
Yes, I did this. I plan this. I am the black sheep in the family, the wolf to the sheep in the family. Thats not the reason though. I won't have bothered if mother did not place you above me concerning inheritance.
Ebuka's stare could light a fire without fuel. It has always been me and you. Always about how mother always put me above you. Calistus listen to yourself. You were the managing director in one of Mama's firms, you had enough influence to get anyone hired or fired, you were paid well and you had the respect of others. Why?
What do you mean by why? Calistus shot back. I was the one that had to give up his dreams and aspirations for the family. I was the one shouldering the responsibility of taking care of the home and business when you went on your epic adventure. When mother fell ill, I .....,.........
The same thing I would have done. Ebuka replied resentful. This does not make it better, Calistus.
Calistus' smile was back. But it does. After all, this is justice. Justice for years of misjudgement on her part and insolence on yours. I have mother's reasoning and understanding of the world. I deserve all of this.
So you tell yourself.
That does not matter. What matters is that you will be dead by morning and that's that. Sweet dreams, brother.
Calistus walked away in smiles. Make sure that he is well treated. He told the guard.

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by bossy512(f): 9:18am On Oct 17, 2017
Am scared, hope something will be done before is too late thanks for d update, more inspiration
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 2:17pm On Oct 17, 2017
Calistus why?. Nice update
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by NegeduGrace(f): 12:41pm On Oct 20, 2017
[quote author=Eyinimofeoluwa post=61299558][/quote]thanks for the mention
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:24am On Oct 21, 2017
Detective Arinze woke up with a start. He had a headache, caused by the immense amount of drinks he took.
As he stood up from his bed,shrugging off a naked lady besides him, Arinze remembered the events of the previous day Detective Kolade had taken him to at least four different bars. Two bars existed on their own and two more were in hotels. Every bar he ended had ended up six bottles less due to him. It was a miracle that he was not in a gutter currently. That would be a shame to himself and the Nigerian Police Force (NPF).
Miracle. That was the name the lady besides him bore, that is if you are nice to call her lady. A prostitute was an accurate name, but it was beneath him to call her that. He vaguely remembered Kolade urging him to try her out, as he had never done such before. He had drank too many bottles to say no.
As he reached to his coffee maker, he saw a note with numbers on it and a name. He picked it and remembered that someone had accosted him in the bathroom, claiming to have some important information about a kidnap in their area before giving him the paper. Detective Arinze had slipped it to the backside of his pocket when he rejoined Detective Kolade to continue his drinks.
He picked the paper and went for his phone, coffee in hand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Your Book, Dear Ijeawele Is Dead On Arrival. Fan Tells Chimamanda On Facebook. / Diary Of A Playboy (18+) / My Handsome Enemy

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50