Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,918 members, 7,814,090 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried (37259 Views)

I'm Worried, I Finally Graduated With 2:2, Any Advice For Me? / Why South East Is Doomed / Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by InvertedHammer: 11:46am On Feb 09, 2016
/
They will be more worried when they check the names of the successful candidates in the SW and North. Igbo people are highly migrant.
/

4 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 09, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
They will be more worried when they check the names of the successful candidates in the SW and North. Igbo people are highly migrant.
/
High BP don set be that grin grin grin

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by justmenoni: 11:57am On Feb 09, 2016
My brother u are talking about continents Ask them whats the full name of their governor or president?? You better don't bother asking them how many states we have in Nigeria or better still to name these states...alot of things have actually gone wrong in Nigeria...non payment of salary will affect education.. Poor transportation, bad economy,peer pressures and even the govt( eg olamide singing eyin omo wobe to kids during an official govt event is so wrong)..

our nbc have not helped matters as well cos looking at some musical videos in Nigeria will surely corrupt these kids. There sure needs a strong reformation in our educational system..

quote author=CCsurplus007 post=42749648]From the south-east to the south-west and down to the north education is generally bad in Nigeria and needs urgent attention. Apart from the lack of infrastructures and incentives from the government to teachers, kids these days do not show any desire to learn. How can one explain the fact that an average eight-year-old in lagos knows the lyrics of efejoku off hand but doesn't know how many continents we have in the world ?. Take a trip to any jamb center most prospective undergraduates students writing the exam are more interested in any expo they can lay theirs hands on before the exam starts. The moral decadence social media has caused is a topic for another day. That was how one jamb student boasted to me how he scattered post ume exam immediately after the test. well, I was curious to know the type of questions that was asked. He told me in the current affairs they asked "who the senate president was", I was like the questions are cheap oo. something just told me to ask him and when I did he said " is it not David mark" I shook my head in disbelief with all the news of saraki then when his corruption case just started with CCT I knew he would fail and yes he failed woefully. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

source: http://www.punchng.com/education-why-south-west-and-north-should-be-worried/

ipob youths dominating Nigeria and wanting Biafra at same time ....what a paradox grin

2 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Eluwilussit(m): 11:58am On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

So the SE or SS don't go for leadership and professional certification too? your argument is not valid except you provide a statistics that shows otherwise. In the federal civil service and private firms, the SW and SE have fair representations. As for business, I don't know the type of business you mean. If you are not talking about Mike Adenuga's type of business an average Nigerian knows the south-easterners dominate small scale business in Nigeria. One mistake people make is that they feel those guys don't go to school.. lol, very wrong things are changing and changing fast. The new crop are graduates that have taken up their family business or those that are fed up with the unemployment rate. so instead of waiting for an imaginary shell offer they resort to doing one business or the other to keep body and soul. One thing you should appreciate the easterners for is that in all fronts they have fair representations and are not lacking even if they do not dominate. From the entertainment industry to sports to business and now to education that used to be the pride of the sw. In futa where I graduated from, it is not out of place to see Igbos graduating with first class year in year out and also as the "best" in their class. In 2014, an igbo guy was the overall best graduating student in the school, I know of two that were the best in their departments in engineering in the same year. Last year an Edo guy was the overall best these feats were very uncommon ten years ago. In fact, if not for federal catchment policy fed universities adopt a university like Unilag might have equal numbers of sw and se students in a class. So it is still better to have fair representation in all formal and informal sectors which I think the south easterners are doing quite well. Gone are the days when you would hear statements like " anambra people na only business then sabi" because if you name the sector you think you dominate you would find out that the so-called "business guys "are giving you a good run for your money. In all, I think true federalism or regionalism would be best for Nigeria. Let all regions develop at their own pace

You have spoken well. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by tonychristopher: 12:02pm On Feb 09, 2016
Xtracoool:

I hope you communicate with them in igbo, and not hoping that they will learn the language when you finally send them to anambra.

The Igbo Language needs to be revived among the young ones today.

Yes

They understand but they don't speak or speak a little
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Eluwilussit(m): 12:18pm On Feb 09, 2016
wristbangle:
Speaking as a yoruba indigene, it beats my imagination to have seen the downward trend of our educational system . To be candid the poor state of schools, delayed payment of teachers (poor management from government) and unmotivated attitude from the students is killing our education.

Let's call a spade, spade. The SS and SE regions have tremendously improved in their educational sector in terms of teaching skills, good government support, willingness of students to study hence the reason why they are booming.

I feel the south west region need to retrace their step back to what made them the best or perhaps learn from SS/SE region because what the OP said may start happening in the nearest future is care is not taking.

Someone made an observation about the educational life of the SW. He said it has plateaued. He might be right. If life is a cycle, the SW has plateaued and with time, it will even start a sharp descent to a very low level. After which a desire for knowledge will be rekindled again.

That's not to say that it can't be stopped. It would require a massive effort. A force much stronger than the desire not to go to school. The SS & SE are not smarter than others. They simply have more desires. Believe me, all my Additional Math teachers in the 80s were northerners. It is interest and nurture.

The Yorubas have achieved academic success and are on to other things. The zeal isn't as much as it used to be.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by gozzlin: 12:20pm On Feb 09, 2016
flokii:
No need to be worried until d SE start developing their own lands.. and stop roaming about

what's d benefit of profs. bookworms when you have nothing to show for it... only eroded lands etc.

SW is still da bomb puleasee

Nigga please! Y'all should quit boasting about Lagos which was developed with the common wealth of Nigeria. Which other sw state can you boast with? Is it Ibadan, oyo state with brown roof dilapidated shacks or Osun, Ekiti, Ondo States which are still rural areas?

Spare me that bullshyte pulease!

5 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Dinobi77: 12:21pm On Feb 09, 2016
Remove Uche, Chioma, Isioma, Osagie, Okon, Akpan from from the list of candidates from Lagos, nd see the position the state will be.

8 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by wristbangle: 12:26pm On Feb 09, 2016
Eluwilussit:

Someone made an observation about the educational life of the SW. He said it has plateaued. He might be right. If life is a cycle, the SW has plateaued and with time, it will even start a sharp descent to a very low level. After which a desire for knowledge will be rekindled again.

That's not to say that it can't be stopped. It would require a massive effort. A force much stronger than the desire not to go to school. The SS & SE are not smarter than others. They simply have more desires. Believe me, all my Additional Math teachers in the 80s were northerners. It is interest and nurture.

The Yorubas have achieved academic success and are on to other things. The zeal isn't as much as it used to be.

You are right brother. This is the reason why the zone needs to retrace her urge and climax for educational success.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
flokii:

ok.. google d word 'erosion'... you can use wikipedia too

screenshot or post d feedback here.. bfor we continue

can't do baseless arguements

You were saying?

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by wristbangle: 12:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
gozzlin:

Nigga please! Y'all should quit boasting about Lagos which was developed with the common wealth of Nigeria. Which other sw state can you boast with? Is it Ibadan, oyo state with brown roof dilapidated shacks or Osun, Ekiti, Ondo States which are still rural areas?

Spare me that bullshyte pulease!

Brown roof buildings are synonymous in every part of the country.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by ladyF(f): 12:28pm On Feb 09, 2016
iykebest1:
u dey represent dem wella naa. Lol. Just kidding
Lol I dey really represent grin
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by sorepco(m): 12:30pm On Feb 09, 2016
This is one of the most stupid answers i have come across. A language you studied from nursery to prinary to secondary and university and you still cant speak it?? Anyone who thinks like this is a fool!! You dont get ghanains or ivorians educated to university level who cant express themselves in english or french fluently....even in cameroon...they are more conversant in english than us. I dont
See them complaining....

By the way @ op...i think our education system is a shamble. We need a new policy to overhaul our education system!

irynterri:
I understand you..but there is nothing as good as you can speak your local tongdue as fluent as you can speak English,waec subjects are not written in our local tongue but in English,how do you intend to pass well without been able to express yourself in English,so far as it is our lingua franca we should be fluent in it.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Lilimax(f): 12:32pm On Feb 09, 2016
tonychristopher:
As an anambra man..my kids are in primary school in Lagos but once it secondary school u wil see them in anambra ..they will school there

You have quality education there
There they would be igbonized properly
You got the gist jare! smiley
The same thing my dad did to me and my siblings...and I'm going to do same to my kids.

#Igboamaka!
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by flokii: 12:39pm On Feb 09, 2016
SexyKaycee:

You were saying?

cheesy

you go like arguement gaan o... Ok! you don win

erosion is a natural disaster in d SE... btw you didn't use wikipedia

more facts bro..
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by mart2k(m): 12:41pm On Feb 09, 2016
D OP na ibo. He only showed d statistics where d south east performed better. Bring on d statistics of those years u skipped in ur one sided analysis
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Eluwilussit(m): 12:41pm On Feb 09, 2016
wristbangle:

You are right brother. This is the reason why the zone needs to retrace her urge and climax for educational success.

It is nothing to worry about. SW will bounce back. We should be worried about the north. We are going nowhere as a nation, unless the north wakes up.

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Lilimax(f): 12:41pm On Feb 09, 2016
Biafrarep:
Fact! Many Nigerians errorneusly believed that SE is only interested in business simply because they dominate in the SME's & retail sectors nationwide. In reality, both in the private & public sectors eg in places like Lagos, P.H, Abuja etc, there are as many Igbos as there are others, even the indignious ones. In times past, business was seen as a means of livelihood for semi illiterates but today, things have changed, many Igbos after acquiring university degrees, discovered that there no jobs or even when they are employed that what they earn is just a fraction of what those in business earn! Today many Igbos on graduating now take over family businesses or branch-out in a more modern way. Yesterday, I went to buy laptop but during discussions, I learnt that he graduated from FUTO(same as I) in 2008, his outlet is just like office, he drives a honda EOD, is married & living very comfortably. I also ran into my old course-mate, he is almost through with masters but sells stock-fish!!
Na so! smiley
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by cowgirl9090: 12:43pm On Feb 09, 2016
flokii:
No need to be worried until d SE start developing their own lands.. and stop roaming about

what's d benefit of profs. bookworms when you have nothing to show for it... only eroded lands etc.

SW is still da bomb puleasee

Every yoruba is from Lagos cheesy, and yoruba land starts and ends in Lagos state lol, grin . Apart from Lagos which other yoruba land is developed is it ogun or ondo or Osun wey dey like village. keep on deluding yourself since you have refused to travel out your small enclave.

3 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
flokii:

cheesy

you go like arguement gaan o... Ok! you don win

erosion is a natural disaster in d SE... btw you didn't use wikipedia

more facts bro..

Lmao son of a lawyer ni

But I agree with you that the residents can do more to mitigate it, but saying it's all their fault is wrong.

Wikipedia is not the only resource I have
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by flokii: 12:45pm On Feb 09, 2016
cowgirl9090:

Every yoruba is from Lagos cheesy, and yoruba land starts and ends in Lagos state lol, grin . Apart from Lagos which other yoruba land is developed is it ogun or ondo or Osun wey dey like village. keep on deluding yourself since you have refused to travel out your small enclave.

lol

m considering Anambra... buh m scared

my enclave is jst too peaceful & comfortable
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by flokii: 12:51pm On Feb 09, 2016
SexyKaycee:

Lmao son of a lawyer ni

But I agree with you that the residents can do more to mitigate it, but saying it's all their fault is wrong.

Wikipedia is not the only resource I have

my own fear is that erosion might wash away d lands there... d main roads, houses.etc.

if they dnt.act fast.. when will they somtin abt it

cnt afford to see my eastern folks live on trees you knw grin
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

So the SE or SS don't go for leadership and professional certification too? your argument is not valid except you provide a statistics that shows otherwise. In the federal civil service and private firms, the SW and SE have fair representations. As for business, I don't know the type of business you mean. If you are not talking about Mike Adenuga's type of business an average Nigerian knows the south-easterners dominate small scale business in Nigeria. One mistake people make is that they feel those guys don't go to school.. lol, very wrong things are changing and changing fast. The new crop are graduates that have taken up their family business or those that are fed up with the unemployment rate. so instead of waiting for an imaginary shell offer they resort to doing one business or the other to keep body and soul. One thing you should appreciate the easterners for is that in all fronts they have fair representations and are not lacking even if they do not dominate. From the entertainment industry to sports to business and now to education that used to be the pride of the sw. In futa where I graduated from, it is not out of place to see Igbos graduating with first class year in year out and also as the "best" in their class. In 2014, an igbo guy was the overall best graduating student in the school, I know of two that were the best in their departments in engineering in the same year. Last year an Edo guy was the overall best these feats were very uncommon ten years ago. In fact, if not for federal catchment policy fed universities adopt a university like Unilag might have equal numbers of sw and se students in a class. So it is still better to have fair representation in all formal and informal sectors which I think the south easterners are doing quite well. Gone are the days when you would hear statements like " anambra people na only business then sabi" because if you name the sector you think you dominate you would find out that the so-called "business guys "are giving you a good run for your money. In all, I think true federalism or regionalism would be best for Nigeria. Let all regions develop at their own pace

Liar!!!

Tell me how many Igbos have graduated from FUTA as best overall graduating students in FUTA history?

I need their names and faculties

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by chokovirus: 1:09pm On Feb 09, 2016
irynterri:
that was several years ago..right now abia has the highest..and as for those of you complaining abt S.E schools I have met students from ogun state college of science and tech. to be precise who can't make a speak English for 10mins without adding Yoruba,and their spelling was nothing to write home about,u can barely see an average ogun kid conversing fluently in english.I have equally met such cases in the east,eket and the north will be the worst.in my uni,those of us who schooled in lag are no match to students from fggc owerri,fgc okigwe,onitsha and government colledge owerri,most best graduating students are always alumni of those schools.I think environment and exposure has a lot to do in a child's development,parents too should help their wards,students dis days don't read books like things fall apart e.t.c they are more bothered with Facebook,sports betting,nairaland and girls

that folk is still quoting the myths and oral superstitions handed over to him by his ancestors with no statistics to back it up. what you just stated are the very facts. Students of fggc and univ. demonstration schools from SE are always top. Even in this era of post-ume, it still takes catchment areas to prevent students from the SE and SS from overflooding the other regions. If you want to blame it on special centres, then you have to consider that Lagos and Delta states are the states in the SW and SS with the largest proportion of Igbos. The other regions especially the SW should get back to the drawing board and quit hating. The handwriting on the wall is very clear!!!

5 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 1:12pm On Feb 09, 2016
FolarinLondon:

Liar!!!

Tell me how many Igbos have graduated from FUTA as best overall graduating students in FUTA history?

I need their names and faculties

Lol i laugh at your naivety. That you dont agree with my position doesnt mean I am a liar.The said person is even my personal friend. Anyway get a copy of 2014 convocation brochure look up for the best graduating student. hint.. he finished from biochemistry. are you happy now.. lol

5 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by GodMode: 1:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
K

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
CCsurplus007:

Lol i laugh at your naivety. That you dont agree with my position doesnt mean I am a liar.The said person is even my personal friend. Anyway get a copy of 2014 convocation brochure look up for the best graduating student. hint.. he finished from biochemistry. are you happy now.. lol

What an absurdity at its peak!!!

How pathetic can one sound!!!

I was once a student of that school and of course an indigene of that city called Akure; Odo-ikoyi to be precise.

That school was founded in 1981 and since then, historical feats have been achieved by both yoruba students and Niger-delta students without beating their chests.

You need to go and check Futa record and come back here to apologise for beating your chest on behalf of Igbos simply cos an Igbo guy graduated as a best overall graduating student in 2014. What a shame!!!
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 09, 2016
flokii:

my own fear is that erosion might wash away d lands there... d main roads, houses.etc.

if they dnt.act fast.. when will they somtin abt it

cnt afford to see my eastern folks live on trees you knw grin

where will the trees grow sef? well it will be mitigated in the near future, truss me

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by oemmanuel: 1:29pm On Feb 09, 2016
naija8080:
I'm more worried about yoruba. They almost came last. Can you imagine that Boko haram troubled states like Borno and Adamawa are ahead of a yoruba state? I can't believe this.

What is Non Yoruba in Lagos State?

These people no dey hear word o
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
oemmanuel:

What is Non Yoruba in Lagos State?

These people no dey hear word o

Go and ask Punch. What they are saying is the success seen in Lagos can only be attributed to the non Yorubas since all five mainstream yoruba states are at the bottom.

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by akigbemaru: 1:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
education.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

University Of Nigeria, Nsukka Student Shot Dead (Photo) / Man Marking WAEC May/june 2015 In A BRT Bus: Right Or Wrong? (pic) / Lautech Reduces Tuition Fee Of Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.