Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,055 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi (70824 Views)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics) / Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by MrImole: 12:42pm On Feb 11, 2016
frisky2good:
How did you come about the name "Bini"?

I heard that "Benin" means "ILÈ ÌBÍNÚ" I don't how true though.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OBAGADAFFI: 12:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

there was nothing like yoruba before is only bini, bini created yoruba thats why you see name like eko (benin name) in lagos.

What Benin?
The real name is Igodomigodo

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
u are not getting d gist, oba of benin is a son of oduduwa, and oduduwa is a son of oba of benin, d oduduwa that u referend as ur first united king is a son of oba of benin, it is like a hen hatches his egg, it is inter-twisting, d egg hatch into hen and d hen lays d egg. Who is d greatest- d hen that lays d egg

Why do you Bini folks love telling outright lies? Your whole history is awash with fables. Even during medieval times, your palace attendants were fond of telling lies to the European explorers about conquering kingdoms they never conquered. And I believe that was why they said the Itsekiri's far smarter than the Bini cos they Bini just tell lies for the sake of it. The notorious liars. grin

1). How can Oduduwa be the son of an Ogiso that lives in the sky, does that even make any sense whatsoever to you? Okay, let's say Oduduwa was the son of Ogiso. how was he able to navigate his way to Ife, to establish a kingship over the people, yet there's no Bini influence on Ife culture. No bini gods are worship in Ife. And Edo language didn't infiltrate the language of the people. But conversely, there's Yoruba influence all over Bini culture, from the language, to the gods they worship, to the name of the king, to art and crafts, to the clothes etc.?

2). If Oduduwa was actually a Bini son, why did you lot ditch Ogisos for the Oba dynasty? I'd wager that you would've continued it, and not ditch it for a foreign style of leadership, no?

5 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
AlPeter:
read and be enlightened http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Benin_Empire

There's absolutely nothing enlightening in junk revisionism by Bini folks who have always been known from time immemorial as being incorrigible liars. Bini folks have always lied about everything.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by frisky2good(m): 12:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
That's the version I know too but I want to wait for his response

MrImole:

I heard that "Benin" means "ILÈ ÌBÍNÚ" I don't how true though.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Jesusloveyou: 12:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

why are you so ignorant I said he was not the first king but he was the first head to unite them, the first ooni of ife.
before u claim our prince to become ur first united king, benin was already an empire or kingdom, is like a hen given out his egg away to a faraway destination, or like malaysia came to our land and take ay our oil seed to develop their country.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 12:53pm On Feb 11, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
before u claim our prince to become ur first united king, benin was already an empire or kingdom, is like a hen given out his egg away to a faraway destination, or like malaysia came to our land and take ay our oil seed to develop their country.
there was ogosi empire Benin empire came after his son ruled benin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Delegate(m): 12:54pm On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
LIKE THIS 'OWANMBE' KING WAN KPEME, HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE GREAT OBA OF BENIN. THE OBA OF BENIN IS NOT LIKE OTHER OBAS THAT THRIVE ON BRIBES, AND THAT MAKES HIS 'JUJU' SO POTENT THAT EVEN THE ONI OF IFE CAN BE 'GUNNED DOWN' BY THE GREAT OBA OF BENIN.

Doesn't change the fact that Benin had no name b4 Oranmiyan came frm Ile-Ife
When there land was in turmoil without no Leader dey ran to Ife
Their First Oba was an Ejaculation of A YORUBA MAN
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Lstar4real(m): 12:55pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

where oduduwa come from?
u want take me do your history assignment Okay oo

please wait make I ask IFA Orunmila baba meregun

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Delegate(m): 12:57pm On Feb 11, 2016
martineinstein:
Ooni is too young to start unnecessary controversy...the monarch that almost colonized almost the entire southern Nigeria(from Lagos to kogi to bayelsa) and part of middle belt is now under u?.. If not for British punitive expedition of 1896,ooni would have been conquered by oba of Benin....
many first class monarchs are under oba of Benin,especially oba of Lagos,obi of onitsha,asagba of asaba,olu of Warri,dein of agbo etc. Even the traditional name of Lagos,'eko' is a bini word....ooni should go and rest joor

Oba agha t'okpe e!....ise!

Doesn't change the fact that the First Oba of Benin was A YORUBA Man ejaculation nd Benin was a named Bini by a Yoruba Prince
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by saintfizzo(m): 1:02pm On Feb 11, 2016
Sijo01:

Sango's wife is Óya not Oba!
who's oba? I hear of odo oba and assumed she's one of sango's wives too, I stand to be corrected if you'd pls oblige me
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 1:02pm On Feb 11, 2016
pulsa:

then whe are cool Edo and Yoruba's respect themselves, will like to visit Edo state and awka ibom some time soon.

you are always welcome.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 1:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
Delegate:

Doesn't change the fact that Benin had no name b4 Oranmiyan came frm Ile-Ife
When there land was in turmoil without no Leader dey ran to Ife
Their First Oba was an Ejaculation of A YORUBA MAN

oranmiyan father was a bini man he was barnish from bini before going to ife to help them
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 1:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

when you grow up then quote me lets argue base on evidence, for now you are too young for insulting somebody you dont know.
sorry for d insult.internal crisis led to the coming of oranmiyan to edo land.oranmiyan was d son of odudwa.oranmiyan named benin from ile ibinu{land of vexation}.he fatherd a son name eweka with an edo princess.then he left to yorubaland of ile ife to become ooni of ife.his son frm edo eweka became the first oba of benin.another of his son later became alafin of oyo.oba of benin and alafin of oyo are blood brothers..from this you see reasons why alake said ooni was number one.so we wasnt just ranting just stating the fact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 1:10pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

you are always welcome.
coolcoolcool
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 1:12pm On Feb 11, 2016
oloyede252:
sorry for d insult.internal crisis led to the coming of oranmiyan to edo land.oranmiyan was d son of odudwa.oranmiyan named benin from ile ibinu{land of vexation}.he fatherd a son name eweka with an edo princess.then he left to yorubaland of ile ife to become ooni of ife.his son frm edo eweka became the first oba of benin.another of his son later became alafin of oyo.oba of benin and alafin of oyo are blood brothers..from this you see reasons why alake said ooni was number one.so we wasnt just ranting just stating the fact

where oduduwa come from?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by adisarasaq(m): 1:13pm On Feb 11, 2016
jeffucee10:
If Oba is a Yoruba word for King

what will be the meaning of "KABIYESI"
KABIOSI is simply a way of praising the king not a title
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
u are not getting d gist, oba of benin is a son of oduduwa, and oduduwa is a son of oba of benin, d oduduwa that u referend as ur first united king is a son of oba of benin, it is like a hen hatches his egg, it is inter-twisting, d egg hatch into hen and d hen lays d egg. Who is d greatest- d hen that lays d egg
oh God.which history is this.just plain nonsense.what he said was right.ooni of ife is the father of oba of benin and alafin of oyo.so you see the link when the new ooni said odudwa linage or so.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by martineinstein(m): 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
Elxandre:

On your profile right?
Okay!
yeah
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Tunami(m): 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
thawgy:
Sango's wife was Oya not Oba, but the term Oba is a yoru word in from what I know not a bini word
he also has oba and osun.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by publicenemy(m): 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
blazetitov:

“The Ooni of Ife, by historical facts, is a son of the Oba of Benin, so they are not in the same class".

How can the guy from benin be contradicting himself by saying the Ooni of Ife was a son of the Oba of Benin and at the same time saying that the Oba of Benin stool has no relationship with the Yoruba race. I don't get it.

By " The Oba of Benin stool" he means the Oba of Benin Crown. There is a relationship between the Binis and the yorubas but the kinship (Crown)has to historical relationship.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by publicenemy(m): 1:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
Ijaya123:
I have a question though, the word Oba is a Yoruba word. How come that's what the Benin monarchy uses to address their king?

Oba is a Bini word not a yoruba word. Read the article till the end.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Tunami(m): 1:21pm On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
LIKE THIS 'OWANMBE' KING WAN KPEME, HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE GREAT OBA OF BENIN. THE OBA OF BENIN IS NOT LIKE OTHER OBAS THAT THRIVE ON BRIBES, AND THAT MAKES HIS 'JUJU' SO POTENT THAT EVEN THE ONI OF IFE CAN BE 'GUNNED DOWN' BY THE GREAT OBA OF BENIN.
u lie, do you really know the traditional power of an Ooni?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 1:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

where oduduwa come from?
thank God you now agree with me.comparing them is like comparing father and son.to the issue of where did odudwa came frm..wil first ask you are you a creationist or an evolutionist...lemme help you with this önly two important individual was exiled/banised* from benin and edo.fist was voluntry exile of prince ekadaha or so and ovomramwen in 1897.also the most simila name in edobenin history to odudwa was erediauwa...so let start.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Rexnegro(m): 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
please reason this with me...if truly the yorubas originated from the benins how come the yorubas are more than the benins in numbers,long before now and even as at today? and how come the ooni of ife seems to have relevances more over the years to oba of Benin in term of issues concerning nigeria ? since the oni is a son to the oba of Benin, so the son overtook his fada in population all of sudden in their respective territory?so ooni the son have a bigger territory to that of his fada, which is just Benin OK maybe the whole of edo state...but ooni got the whole of south west, Abegi make the Benin go rest jare....they are branch of yoruba race simple.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
brownlord:

Completely wrong sir
how and why.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OZAOEKPE(f): 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
Tunami:
u lie, do you really know the traditional power of an Ooni?
THE ONE WAY EFFC BEING THEY QUESTION BEFORE HIS 'OBA-SHIP', OR YOU GET ANOTHER ONI OF IFE?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
Even the Oba of Benin has a price.It only has not been found out.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
martineinstein:
Ooni is too young to start unnecessary controversy...the monarch that almost colonized almost the entire southern Nigeria(from Lagos to kogi to bayelsa) and part of middle belt is now under u?.. If not for British punitive expedition of 1896,ooni would have been conquered by oba of Benin....
many first class monarchs are under oba of Benin,especially oba of Lagos,obi of onitsha,asagba of asaba,olu of Warri,dein of agbo etc. Even the traditional name of Lagos,'eko' is a bini word....ooni should go and rest joor

Oba agha t'okpe e!....ise!
Let your Oba go & bow to the Ooni,that's all.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 11, 2016
Ontarget:
How relevant is this so called Ooni to the speedy progress of this nation? All talks and nothing.
Relevant enough to scare your Oba.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by blazetitov: 1:36pm On Feb 11, 2016
ruffbamreal:

You are blessed in a million times every day of your life.

Amen.You are blessed too bro.

Thanks.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 11, 2016
blazetitov:

“The Ooni of Ife, by historical facts, is a son of the Oba of Benin, so they are not in the same class".

How can the guy from benin be contradicting himself by saying the Ooni of Ife was a son of the Oba of Benin and at the same time saying that the Oba of Benin stool has no relationship with the Yoruba race. I don't get it.
Its because in a bid to hide the truth,you say a lot of rubbish.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics) / Chanel Chin: Oluwo Used To Beat Me, Cheated With Our Housemaid / Oba Adetokunbo Tejuoso Arrested For Romance Scam (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.