Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi (70802 Views)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics) / Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 1:37pm On Feb 11, 2016
oloyede252:
thank God you now agree with me.comparing them is like comparing father and son.to the issue of where did odudwa came frm..wil first ask you are you a creationist or an evolutionist...lemme help you with this önly two important individual was exiled/banised* from benin and edo.fist was voluntry exile of prince ekadaha or so and ovomramwen in 1897.also the most simila name in edobenin history to odudwa was erediauwa...so let start.

all i want to hear is where oduduwa ur yoruba father came from?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by AlPeter: 1:37pm On Feb 11, 2016
YoruBadGoon:
These Bini folks are starting to irk. We need to teach them the history of their overrated kingdom that thrived on fables and jejune tales. Bini kingdom's might thrived on outright lies - the only great thing it achieved came from those great artworks. And the knowledge of those artworks came from Owo and Ife.

Bini kingdom NEVER even conquered any relevant kingdom. You never conquered Igala kingdom, all the skirmishes had no victor or vanquished. You NEVER conquered Owo, it was a stalemate. You were scared of Dahomey and never went to war with the kingdom. You NEVER conquered Ijebu. You NEVER conquered Nupe. And to your east, you didn't even trouble the Igbos and Ijaws. Itsekiris sold you as slaves. Your only achievement outside ya small Bini fortress with a moat, was art and craft. Heck, Ogedengbe the Ijesha warrior, almost took the war to ya land and you had to placate him with a gift. Apart from building a tiny camp in tiny Eko, on Aworiland, with the help of the Ilajes - what else was the achievement of Bini kingdom?

Bini kingdom wasn't an empire - it was a kingdom populated by Edoid groups. Oyo on the other hand was an empire cos it had non-Yoruboid groups, from Bariba, to Fon etc.. Don't ever compare ya small kingdom that's only known for artworks birthed by Ife and Owo to anything Yoruba. You worship Yoruba orishas. Your kingship is Yoruba. And even in your Oba's palace, Yoruba used to be the language used for everything - yet you have this nauseating way of getting ahead of yourselves like you're actually better than what you're. Stop it. I still don't know how a small landlocked kingdom started worshipping Olokun. Who gave you Olokun, the most revered god in Biniland - if not Ijebus and Ilajes - Yoruba subgroups?

Fall back - the Ooni has spoken. Bini's throne came from Yorubas and you're the little brother. Stop punching above ya height cos of artworks.
the edo gave them Olokun.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Abillsable: 1:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
This is too much insult.
Born2Breed:

These are Myths and Folklore's. These was never Sango or whatever.

Btw is it not the same Ooni that goes kneeling before Tinubu and Obasanjo to be nominated and installed as ooni. He should read his history books if his father did not.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by martineinstein(m): 1:48pm On Feb 11, 2016
Mekwen:
Let your Oba go & bow to the Ooni,that's all.
oba doesn't rapour with kid kings

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 11, 2016
AlPeter:
the edo gave them Olokun.

This is the most ridiculous Edo fable ever! Did you post this with a straight face? grin

How can a landlocked Bini kingdom give anyone Olokun? Do you even know what Olokun means? The name "Olokun" is self-explanatory in Yoruba language - what does it mean in Edo language? Edos can't even swim and most of their tradings were done with Itsekiris as middlemen.

This is the head of Olokun - this head is far older than Bini kingdom. grin

4 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 1:53pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

all i want to hear is where oduduwa ur yoruba father came from?
creationist believe oludumareGOD sent odudwa to finish what obatala could not find.and at the end he creatd the earth and also lived and died there.while the evolutionist believes that odudwa is a strong man who fought his way to becoming the first king of ile ife.evolutionist also believes yoruba are a sub group of the bantu
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OZAOEKPE(f): 1:53pm On Feb 11, 2016
Mekwen:
Even the Oba of Benin has a price.It only has not been found out.
its like you don't know the OBA OF BENIN, he fears no one, he can never take bribe. the moment he indulges in things like that, he is destined to fail.

hes not interested in money, you can ask igbenedion, or even oshiomhole.

He's got no price
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:00pm On Feb 11, 2016
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:10pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

hahahahaha, you make me laugh, did you just hear urself, history said oduduwa came from the west to rule over u guys, stop believing that crap about he came from the sky, this is the 21st century my brother
lols.you are hopeless.this is the reason i askd you if you are a creationist or evolutionist.which history said odudwa came frm the west.lols..
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
oloyede252:
lols.you are hopeless.this is the reason i askd you if you are a creationist or evolutionist.which history said odudwa came frm the west.lols..

well check wikipedia though i saw in book which i cant remember the name, but if u still insist he came from the sky, then i will say i win you grin

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Christane: 2:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
Atleast am more enlighting than ur entire generation.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

hahahahaha, you make me laugh, did you just hear urself, history said oduduwa came from the west to rule over u guys, stop believing that crap about he came from the sky, this is the 21st century my brother
lol this is 21st century where most people believe God creatd the earth on 7days.sister rita you are subborn o.believe whatever you wish to believe.av tried my best as an educator.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Dindondin(m): 2:17pm On Feb 11, 2016
Born2Breed:

Btw is it not the same Ooni that goes kneeling before Tinubu and Obasanjo to be nominated and installed as ooni. He should read his history books if his father did not.
when did he do that?
was it not before he became king
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by iamkneeyi: 2:18pm On Feb 11, 2016
Christane:
I even thought dz young ooni was enlighten enough nw z here talkn abt wat he dnt knw ...d ancient benin kingdom z d most legendary and respected monarhical empire world wide ..even d queen of england no reach oba of benin ..nt to talk of ordinary Ooni making false accusation dat edo state z forge from yoruba land thru oduduwa ...edo have their own language lyk bini,esan,estako,auchi etc etc ...i knw sum yoruba reside in benin bt i dnt knw hw dy get there ...bt d oba of benin has z own class nd cant b match by any king in d world nt to talk of a yoruba king ...
Just wanna send you a message? Go and ask your parent or elders in Benin if the heads of Oba in Benin are usually buried in Ife in the olden days? This is a confirm facts that even your chiefs in the Benin can't denied..if that is so...I wonder why the Oba of Benin is higher than Ooni of Ife ?

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ibedun: 2:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
blazetitov:

“The Ooni of Ife, by historical facts, is a son of the Oba of Benin, so they are not in the same class".

How can the guy from benin be contradicting himself by saying the Ooni of Ife was a son of the Oba of Benin and at the same time saying that the Oba of Benin stool has no relationship with the Yoruba race. I don't get it.

The guy na idiat nau. Listen to the nonsense he is yearning about the great Yorubas.,..
He thinks he is talking to the Yeebos who don run enter Asaba?

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by hotwax: 2:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
Christane:
Am well grounded in history ...it av bin long dat yorubas av bin oppressing d edo becus we are a single state nd dy are lyk 7 to 8 ...nd becus dy are among d majority wch form wazobia ...it z well written dat d first man in lagos z a benin man nd z d one dat name lagos eko which d yoruba adopted nd turn lagos to a yoruba land nd 4got abt d bini man dat first came to lagos dy av bin oppressing d benin people nd edo state at large with their vast population nw dy want to claim edo state nd put it in a yoruba map as part of a yoruba king nd even comparing their Ooni of our great Oba ...wat even d queen of england cnt compare ...wat did this young Ooni of a king knw he dat z a virgin wen it cums to historical matters dat av to do wit monarhical system ...he shud shut up nd dwell in d developing of d yoruba race ...edo state z 2 big 4 him to claim ..

Egbas and Ijebu discovered Lagos. They traded with Benin and Portugues. They sold artworks, Slaves, religion beliefs to Benins.

Why do benin worship Sango?

ESU ?

Obatala?

Be warded in knowledge and not just ethnic rants. We are one.

And when you guys trace your root, you fail. You dont know your root. Just because you hate Yorubas you are trying to erase your origin.

A Benin guy was saying Benins were from Igbo Land...I cried for him

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
oloyede252:
lol this is 21st century where most people believe God creatd the earth on 7days.sister rita you are subborn o.believe whatever you wish to believe.av tried my best as an educator.

na u sabi, all i know be say oduduwa your progenist was a bini prince, and a bini by tribe meaning an edo man create yoruba grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:20pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

well check wikipedia though i saw in book which i cant remember the name, but if u still insist he came from the sky, then i will say i win you grin
lol.so the west of south west is benin.anty go and read your book again and try remembring.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OBAGADAFFI: 2:21pm On Feb 11, 2016
iamkneeyi:
Just wanna send you a message? Go and ask your parent or elders in Benin if the heads of Oba in Benin are usually buried in Ife in the olden days? This is a confirm facts that even your chiefs in the Benin can't denied..if that is so...I wonder why the Oba of Benin is higher than Ooni of Ife ?

https://www.nairaland.com/1794927/ile-ife-final-rest-place-oba
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:22pm On Feb 11, 2016
hotwax:

Egbas and Ijebu discovered Lagos. They traded with Benin and Portugues. They sold artworks, Slaves, religion beliefs to Benins.

Why do benin worship Sango?

ESU ?

Obatala?

Be warded in knowledge and not just ethnic rants. We are one.

And when you guys trace your root, you fail. You dont know your root. Just because you hate Yorubas you are trying to erase your origin.

A Benin guy was saying Benins were from Igbo Land...I cried for him

lol my bro tell me how do we hate yoruba?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by iamkneeyi: 2:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
loschivatos:
“The Ooni of Ife, by historical facts, is a son of the Oba of Benin, so they are not in the same class. The Oba of Benin is the only one that answers Oba, the rest don’t. But today, we hear Oba here and there, they are all recent adaptations. I am saying categorically that the word Oba is indigenous to Benin and not to Yoruba nation.”

Oba gha-to-pere...
using the name Oba is not alien to Yoruba... The so call Oba of Benin in olden days is called EDO TI IBINI. Which is the ogisos...same example as ALAFIN OF OYO , OLU IBADAN. Etc...Oba is a general term meaning king.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

na u sabi, all i know be say oduduwa your progenist was a bini prince, and a bini by tribe meaning an edo man create yoruba grin
oh God.sister rita.ok i agree with you so who was odudwa's father and mother?how and why did odudwa creatd yoruba?how was the yorubas creatd?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Olakunle007(m): 2:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
The fact that Oduduwa wasn't born in Yoruba land does not call he is from Benin. But truth be said His blood has mixed with Yoruba. I also think since Benin is closer to us, it is possible for him to have come from there but if that has been the case, he would have made that clear to his children. Know well that Yorubas have been in existence before him including Culture, Language, art and the rest and since Oduduwa didn't occupy the office with war or any battle, he can't bring in any culture that wasn't of the Yoruba's. Now, I think it's kinda impossible for Oduduwa to have come from Benin without the Yorubas knowing. And if they do, they won't have hidden the truth because they regard him as god and won't love the background of their father died or lost.

Now, let's look from another angle: assume he came from Benin and latter sent one of his child back to rule, the Benin wouldn't have allowed him to rule. Why? SINCE THE KING RULING THEN HAD children, one of his children would have occupied the post. And don't forget THE BENIN CLAIM ODUDUWA WAS BANISHED.

Now, the Yoruba culture was rich and have diverse meaning because of their high population which make it possible for their culture to have influence with the Benin and never forget that even if ORUNMIYAN was lineage if Benin, he lived in Yoruba land which means he can only take hus culture there. I never mean to say Edo culture don't miss with the Yoruba oh. After all, the world has been a global village before modernisation only that it get better rout. Everyone will borrow from one another.

#drop my pen.
No mind some errors oh, I managed to type this.
Both Benin and Yoruba, Orunmila na father of both.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

oh God.sister rita.ok i agree with you so who was odudwa's father and mother?how and why did odudwa creatd yoruba?how was the yorubas creatd?also you mention odudwa was exiled frm benin.why?if you can answer these basic history questions i wil believe you.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by hotwax: 2:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

lol my bro tell me how do we hate yoruba?

[size=13pt]I quoted a guy who claimed yorubas are oppressing EDOs and Benin. Is that really true under a Federal system of Government? This is just shared hatred.

Benin claiming to own Ile-Ife (The source of all Yoruba) is funny. Why are benin so enclose in a hole (just Benin and Edo) only.

If they are the boss of Yoorubas, then they should dominate more territories than Yorubas.

Benin scholars are liars so to say.

There is benin story that claimed one of their sons "ONI" went to Ile-Ife to become King.

Another benin cock-andbull story claimed Oduduwa is a benin man who strayed into Ile-Ife to become King.

All these inconsistencies are scam. Why are people covering the truth?

It is right for one to dissociate himself from a group of people. If benin want to dissociate themselves from Yorubas...its fine. But, they should stop distorting history. During Kiriji war, Ekiti-Ijesha tried denouncing Yoruba. This is normal. Ekiti-Ijesha are still Yorubas by history.
[/size]
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:36pm On Feb 11, 2016
oloyede252:
oh God.sister rita.ok i agree with you so who was odudwa's father and mother?how and why did odudwa creatd yoruba?how was the yorubas creatd?also you mention odudwa was exiled frm benin.why?if you can answer these basic history questions i wil believe you.

grin i don try reach another time, but know that oduduwa was a bini prince he created yoruba.
#peace.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Christane: 2:37pm On Feb 11, 2016
Am more educated dan u nd ur entire generation nd those dat are yet unborn... Gat it.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by LaExpert: 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hmmm...
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by iamkneeyi: 2:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
brownlord:

Smart man, was there anything like Yoruba kingdom before Ododuwa was alleged to have descended from the sky?
yes there is OYO EMPIRE
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ibedun: 2:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
Born2Breed:

Yes o! Like xtianity and those mythical stories in the useless bible.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

grin i don try reach another time, but know that oduduwa was a bini prince he created yoruba.
#peace.
okay i hear you..are you from benin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
oloyede252:

okay i hear you..are you from benin

no

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (22) (Reply)

Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics) / Chanel Chin: Oluwo Used To Beat Me, Cheated With Our Housemaid / Oba Adetokunbo Tejuoso Arrested For Romance Scam (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.