Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi (70806 Views)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics) / Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
Christane:
Am more educated dan u nd ur entire generation nd those dat are yet unborn... Gat it.
are you from the land of vexation
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by cecegorz(m): 2:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
I hardly know anything about the history of both kindgoms but this line of argument is very, very, very STRONG!

“For instance, the one they call the Oba of Lagos, these are recent adaptations. In the 50s, there was no Oba of Lagos, what we had was the Eleko of Eko. That is the title of the King there. In Ibadan, you have the Olu Ibadan. You come to Abeokuta, you have the Alake of Egba land. You come to Oyo, you have the Alaafin of Oyo. In Ilesha, you have the Owa-Obokun of IIesha. So no Yoruba monarch had as part of his titles the word Oba except the Oba of Benin.

“That word Oba is indigenous to Benin. It is only in recent times you find everybody bearing Oba. When the Western Regional conference of traditional rulers took place in Benin City in 1942, go and check the attendance, there was no other monarch in the whole of the Western Region then that bore the title of Oba, except the Oba of Benin.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:44pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

no
okay.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by adsonstone: 2:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
There's no controversy about the fact that was stated by the Ooni.

Oba is a Yoruba word meaning King.
Kings in Bini were known as Ogiso or Ogie.

Obas of Benin are subject to the Ooni...because they're his children (from time past).
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by adsonstone: 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
cecegorz:
I hardly know anything about the history of both kindgoms but this line of argument is very, very, very STRONG!

“That word Oba is indigenous to Benin. It is only in recent times you find everybody bearing Oba. When the Western Regional conference of traditional rulers took place in Benin City in 1942, go and check the attendance, there was no other monarch in the whole of the Western Region then that bore the title of Oba, except the Oba of Benin.

The part in bold is simply a lie.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by oloyede252(m): 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
cecegorz:

“For instance, the one they call the Oba of Lagos, these are recent adaptations. In the 50s, there was no Oba of Lagos, what we had was the Eleko of Eko. That is the title of the King there. In Ibadan, you have the Olu Ibadan. You come to Abeokuta, you have the Alake of Egba land. You come to Oyo, you have the Alaafin of Oyo. In Ilesha, you have the Owa-Obokun of IIesha. So no Yoruba monarch had as part of his titles the word Oba except the Oba of Benin.

yes you are right.oba first startd in benin.bt can you read up on benin kingdom and tell me if the ooni was right or wrong.thks
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by iamkneeyi: 2:50pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

there was nothing like yoruba before is only bini, bini created yoruba thats why you see name like eko (benin name) in lagos.
your father.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by RaptorX: 2:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
erusen:
,the ooni is trying to claim say Benin is part of Yoruba hierarchy, I have a fair knowledge about the heritage and history of my people, but I think is the Oba of Benin(he is presently not with us,he has gone to the great land of his ancestors) office's that will have to come out and have a final say in this issue,but I do know that eko is a bini language,and that before the 50's there was nothing like oba of Lagos it was called elekko of Lagos,around 1898 or so it was the Europeans that came to the rescue of Yoruba labd being invaded by Oba of Benin,Benin had a much larger empire that was submissive to Oba of Benin until it broke of to many other tribes in the south south today,so this ooni must be looking for a hell lot of trouble with his mouth,we binis are famous for having a short temper oh,even the majority of Bini consider the yorubas here in Edo state as dirty people, I hope I didn't offend any body oh.
You are also famous for selling your women into sexually slavery in Europe, short temper my foot.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Christane: 2:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
I heard u are the oba in d land ..
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by ritababe(f): 2:54pm On Feb 11, 2016
iamkneeyi:
your father.

he is fine, thank you and God bless you too

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by hotwax: 3:01pm On Feb 11, 2016
cecegorz:

There was no Oba in Lagos and many other places because they were not a fully qualified towns.

E.g. Ibadan was a farm land. It had no Oba.

However, Oba existed in Ile-Ife, Oyo, Abeokuta e.t.c.

Let us enlighten you.

Oba is not a title in Yoruba land.

Oba is a spirit being. Thats why they worship the throne. There is a spiritual festival for that. Oba is a chieftain title in benin..because they borrowed it and dont know the value.

Yorubas have Witches, Sango, Obatala and other gods. Oba is another god.

The post of Oba was dated far longer than the existence of Benin.

There are archeological proofs
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Lstar4real(m): 3:02pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritababe:

na u sabi, all i know be say oduduwa your progenist was a bini prince, and a bini by tribe meaning an edo man create yoruba grin
what's d name of the Benin prince and his father name? then where they came from?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by erusen: 3:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
RaptorX:
You are also famous for selling your women into sexually slavery in Europe, short temper my foot.
do u think we are boastful people like you guys,I hate to be be a tribalist but a dirty tribe who are also known for being cowards,always performing actions with their mouth,haba wentin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by LordVoldemort(m): 3:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
LIKE THIS 'OWANMBE' KING WAN KPEME, HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE GREAT OBA OF BENIN. THE OBA OF BENIN IS NOT LIKE OTHER OBAS THAT THRIVE ON BRIBES, AND THAT MAKES HIS 'JUJU' SO POTENT THAT EVEN THE ONI OF IFE CAN BE 'GUNNED DOWN' BY THE GREAT OBA OF BENIN.

Seems old age Is disturbing the oba of Benin first he said Benin as no relationship with the yoruba and in the same statement he went o to say Ooni is the son of Oba of Benin. Am I missin something?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 11, 2016
RaptorX:

Lmao.

Are you saying @ritababe is posting from a basement somewhere in Italy, Southern Spain, or Amsterdam? grin

I love me some Edo chics though - their sex drive is second to none. cool

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by cecegorz(m): 3:24pm On Feb 11, 2016
adsonstone:

Any proof to counter that? Perhaps a clip of the attendance register?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by fireforfire: 3:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
blazetitov:

“The Ooni of Ife, by historical facts, is a son of the Oba of Benin, so they are not in the same class".

How can the guy from benin be contradicting himself by saying the Ooni of Ife was a son of the Oba of Benin and at the same time saying that the Oba of Benin stool has no relationship with the Yoruba race. I don't get it.

Start readin history books.
stop reading Mills n boon
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OBAGADAFFI: 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
Picture don't lie

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by RaptorX: 3:35pm On Feb 11, 2016
erusen:
do u think we are boastful people like you guys,I hate to be be a tribalist but a dirty tribe who are also known for being cowards,always performing actions with their mouth,haba wentin
We are cowards but we smashed the biafran army at Ore, after they have conquered and occupied you brave binis. Biafran soldiers captured Benin city just by firing their rifles in the air lmao, so much for bravery.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Praktikals(m): 3:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Born2Breed:

He should read his history books if his father did not.
You are the perfect example of a b.astard
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by AlPeter: 3:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
uncjay:
This is arrant nonsense, I have always say this that, the yoruba nation is better off without other ethnic groups. It pains me to see some yoruba folks trying to force their race on others. These people have their own mouth, let them decide who to be with or without. There s no point trying to write others history for them. And if historically we have somewhat relationship or related to these, people, well thats past and humans have changed and moved on, on their distinction.

It is ridiculous to say edo, itsekiri, and others are part of yoruba when they don't acknowledge such heresies..in fact, going by language and cultural values, they happened to be completely different from yoruba why then will anyone keep forcing them. To me, it is a dogmatic and primitive system of thought, it is like, these people propel the yoruba essence and without them the yoruba national is worthless..

Please, let the obas distance themselves from any other ethnic group and focus on the rulership of yoruba nation. Well they can contribute to national matters as it affect Us all. Else imaging someone bragging to teach you history, because in his deranged mind, you are unlearn. Imaging the insult. We should stop looking down on ourselves while giving unnecessary advantages to some quak folks to denigrate the uniqueness of yoruba nation and people.
don't get it twisted EDO IS NOT PART OF YORUBA, It's the other way round YORUBAS ARE PART OF EDO
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Lstar4real(m): 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
if Edo is not part of yoruba a answer this question

The First King of Benin is eweka son of Oranmiyan

how come first son of oranmiyan became King in Benin if u already have King existing?

Why does is necessary to bury the head of any late Oba of Benin at Ile Ife ?

why is it compulsory to receive the blessing of Ooni before a King is crowned in Benin?

kiss
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OBAGADAFFI: 3:48pm On Feb 11, 2016
AlPeter:
don't get it twisted EDO IS NOT PART OF YORUBA, It's the other way round YORUBAS ARE PART OF EDO

What part of history did you get that from.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OBAGADAFFI: 3:54pm On Feb 11, 2016
Lstar4real:
if Edo is not part of yoruba a answer this question

The First King of Benin is eweka son of Oranmiyan

how come first son of oranmiyan became King in Benin if u already have King existing?

Why does is necessary to bury the head of any late Oba of Benin at Ile Ife ?

why is it compulsory to receive the blessing of Ooni before a King is crowned in Benin?

kiss

Correction

Eweka is not the first Benin king

Eweka is Benin Empire's first 'Oba'

The kings before Eweka use the Ogiso title
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by olisaEze(m): 3:56pm On Feb 11, 2016
So even d guy dt wanted 2drown all d ibos in lagos lagoon because of politics is an upstart in d "monarchy business " smh. Omo'nOba Oba uku okpolokpolor!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by rabzy: 3:57pm On Feb 11, 2016
This story has been done to death.

Does Benin Kingdom has a relationship with the Oni of Ife: Fact Yes. Whether the man that later came to be Oduduwa was from Benin or Not, the fact is that an ile-ife prince Oranmiyan was invited to rule over Benin Kingdom when there was no one to rule after the former king died. HE got married to Benin Princess and started a new dynasty.

Does the Benin Kingdom predate Oduduwa: Yes...Long before Oduduwa appeared in Ile-ife, Benin has had a dynasty of about 30 kings known as ogisos (rulers of the sky).

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by hotwax: 4:00pm On Feb 11, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Correction

Eweka is not the first Benin king

Eweka is Benin Empire's first 'Oba'

The kings before Eweka use the Ogiso title

Answer his questions.

e.g

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by olisaEze(m): 4:07pm On Feb 11, 2016
adsonstone:

no vex, what's ur proof?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by AlPeter: 4:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
Stop spewing trash every where. Am sure you believe Oduduwa fell from the sky. Use your head. EDO kingdom existed long before the Oyo Empire it took a Bini prince to create the Oyo Empire. The Bini prince was the one who gave you the Bini cultures and traditions. Dude read not just use wikipedia. Do you even know that the Benin Kingdom resisted the British forces which led to the destruction of the Kingdom and Banishing of the Kingdom.
YoruBadGoon:

Don't mind these Bini fools. Some even said the Oba of Bini will use some voodoo on Ooni of Ife - hysterical. How are you going to use the orishas you borrowed against the original custodian of the orishas? grin If and when the Ooni visits what's left of the relics of the small ancient kingdom that later became overrated due to fables - the Oba of Bini has to bow down to his progenitor.

Everything about bini was borrowed from Yorubas. They borrowed the Oba dynasty. Borrowed Yoruba orishas. Borrowed knowledge of artworks from Yorubas. Borrowed idea of building moats from Ijebus etc.. They borrowed almost everything, yet they make noise everywhere.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by OBAGADAFFI: 4:09pm On Feb 11, 2016
hotwax:

Answer his questions.

e.g

Ọọ̀ni Oranmiyan was the Father of the first Oba of Benin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by chokovirus: 4:13pm On Feb 11, 2016
bllaster:
Enough of all these.

There is no absolute proof to all this claims.
Benin has their side of the story and Yoruba has thiers. If both of them cannot come to a common agreement then its best for the Ooni gbese of ile ife, Alakara of egbaland and Ajibole of ijebu to keep shut.

As for the Benin MisChief Esogban who replied, that was very harsh. Even if you dont agree with the Oba ranking you cant dispute the fact that there is a link between benin and yoruba.

Yoruba which ever way you look at this controversy it still comes to the point that Oduduwa is not a yoruba man so therefore all the kings ruling your lands are not Yoruba.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] i find this interesting... Does this imply that Yorubas were ruled by Oduduwa (from Saudi Arabia abi where) just like they are being currently ruled by their Hausa-Fulani masters? grin

[i][/i][b][/b]
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by AlPeter: 4:13pm On Feb 11, 2016
Lstar4real:
Edo are not Yoruba but Benin are part of Yoruba which is the Capital of Edo state..... & The Yorubas in benin are d King.....& the most powerful people in Benin till date.... Everyone came from somewhere we don't know.......but the fact still remain old Ooni of Ife sent his son to be the King in Benin cool
and truth remains that the old Ooni of Ife was a Benin prince which nullified your argument. NEXT

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply)

Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics) / Chanel Chin: Oluwo Used To Beat Me, Cheated With Our Housemaid / Oba Adetokunbo Tejuoso Arrested For Romance Scam (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.