Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business (958 Views)

6 Tips That Could Help Delay Ejaculation In Men / Ladies, Do You Mind Marrying A Husband With 6 Fingers? / What Comes To You Mind When You Hear The Word "F**K"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by joliyp(f): 10:37am On Feb 11, 2016
one of my helpful mantras, though, is to “Mind my own business.” I remind myself:

1. No one asked for my advice. Except in the rare instance when people specifically ask me for help clearing their clutter, raising their children, or deciding their careers, I should keep my advice to myself.

2. i don’t know the whole story. It’s very easy to assume that I understand a situation and to form a judgment when in fact, I understand almost nothing about what’s happening.

3. It doesn’t affect me. A friend was all worked up about some stupid thing a celebrity(senator Bruce) did – she was really, truly annoyed. I wanted to say, “You don’t know this person, you’ve never even seen him in person. Why let yourself get so upset about something that has no possible affect on you?” And I remind myself of the same thing.

4. It’s a Secret of Adulthood: Just because something makes me happy doesn’t mean that it will make someone else happy, and vice versa. I often fight the impulse to be a happiness bully, but what works for me might not work for someone else. I remind myself of the negative example of Thoreau: I almost can’t bear to read Thoreau’s Walden, because he’s so disdainful of other people’s tastes and values. When he writes about his own experience and views, I find his work very compelling, but he’s very judgmental and dismissive of any different vision of a happy life.

5. Don’t gossip.

6. Find explanations in charity. One of my favorite writers, Flannery O’Connor, wrote in a letter to a friend: “From 15 to 18 is an age at which one is very sensitive to the sins of others, as I know from recollections of myself. At that age you don’t look for what is hidden. It is a sign of maturity not to be scandalized and to try to find explanations in charity.”

As photographer Edward Weston observed in his Daybooks, “A lifetime can well be spent correcting and improving one’s own faults without bothering about others.”

How about you? Do you struggle to mind your own business

2 Likes

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by godofwar666(m): 11:37am On Feb 11, 2016
@Op did you knw why people are not commenting on this thread? It because dey ar minding their business undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
^^ lol.

Nice tips anyway
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by kaziblake(f): 11:45am On Feb 11, 2016
True talk.
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by firstking01(m): 12:42pm On Feb 11, 2016
CooL
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by 3rdlegxxx(m): 9:34pm On Apr 03, 2016
joliyp:
one of my helpful mantras, though, is to “Mind my own business.” I remind myself:

1. No one asked for my advice. Except in the rare instance when people specifically ask me for help clearing their clutter, raising their children, or deciding their careers, I should keep my advice to myself.

2. i don’t know the whole story. It’s very easy to assume that I understand a situation and to form a judgment when in fact, I understand almost nothing about what’s happening.

3. It doesn’t affect me. A friend was all worked up about some stupid thing a celebrity(senator Bruce) did – she was really, truly annoyed. I wanted to say, “You don’t know this person, you’ve never even seen him in person. Why let yourself get so upset about something that has no possible affect on you?” And I remind myself of the same thing.

4. It’s a Secret of Adulthood: Just because something makes me happy doesn’t mean that it will make someone else happy, and vice versa. I often fight the impulse to be a happiness bully, but what works for me might not work for someone else. I remind myself of the negative example of Thoreau: I almost can’t bear to read Thoreau’s Walden, because he’s so disdainful of other people’s tastes and values. When he writes about his own experience and views, I find his work very compelling, but he’s very judgmental and dismissive of any different vision of a happy life.

5. Don’t gossip.

6. Find explanations in charity. One of my favorite writers, Flannery O’Connor, wrote in a letter to a friend: “From 15 to 18 is an age at which one is very sensitive to the sins of others, as I know from recollections of myself. At that age you don’t look for what is hidden. It is a sign of maturity not to be scandalized and to try to find explanations in charity.”

As photographer Edward Weston observed in his Daybooks, “A lifetime can well be spent correcting and improving one’s own faults without bothering about others.”

How about you? Do you struggle to mind your own business

Nicely said, realy like this, well guess there is a lot stored in you than you let out.....
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Mind Your Own Business by joliyp(f): 1:29pm On Apr 05, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

Nicely said, realy like this, well guess there is a lot stored in you than you let out.....

thanks alot

(1) (Reply)

Twerking And It's Perversion(video) / 24 Ways Men Are Just Like Babies / How To Throw A Nigerian Wedding With N49,950 Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.