Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (62689 Views)

In Need Of Suppliers Of Yellow Maize For Animal Feed In Large Quantity / Cross Rivers State "Rice City" Project In Pictures / Now That There Is No Imported Fish Feed In Nigeria . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by timidapsin(m): 1:36pm On Feb 15, 2016
lol mostwanted7 and tobenanaa come see this
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by kennyman2000(m): 1:38pm On Feb 15, 2016
Quite informative. Thanks farmtech.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by AroOkigbo(m): 1:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
Geniuses everywhere!
I love my country tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by prince2blinks(m): 1:41pm On Feb 15, 2016
Maggot i hate maggot una dey try o.

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Okijajuju1(m): 1:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
FarmTech:
After the flies have finished laying their eggs. cover the bowl with something and place under a shaded area. Protect it from ants, lizards, chickens etc. I used chicken wire to cover them and finally cover with zinc. The chicken wire will prevent lizards and the zinc will stop chickens. I placed the growing bowls on a raised platform. The little kerosene I sprayed on the platform will stop ants. In few hours time you’ll see some small maggots. Leave them for 5 days before you harvest.

Harvesting
Spread net over a bowl (harvesting bowl).

Clear up some points for me please

I got up to the part of attracting the flies. Where I got confused is how did you separate the fly eggs/maggots from the compost you used to attract the flies?

SO if we use fruits, are the eggs not layed on the fruits?

If we use garbage or feaces, how do we separate the garbage from the eggs.

Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Beremx(f): 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
Babacele:
u are correct.
hey there? Longest time. cheesy
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by dominique(f): 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
Very remarkable, I know maggots are sometimes used in hospitals to get rid of putrid wounds (I saw it in a documentary and was amazed at how neat the wound became by the time the maggots were removed). I love the way our modern day agriculturists think outside the box

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by GeniusDavid(m): 2:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
Cheers Bro -X ..All Hail Maggots
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by musicwriter(m): 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
FarmTech:
With the high price of animal feed, growing maggots is beginning to make sense. Maggots come from flies. When flies lay eggs, the eggs pass through several stages before they turn into flies. One of the stages is the maggot stage.
You can use the maggot to feed fish, chickens and other animals. I’m targeting fish and chickens but I’ll be starting with chickens.

Growing The Maggots
To grow maggot, you need cheap inputs like manure, kitchen waste and sawdust or rice hull. I mixed rice hull with manure (my layers’ droppings) in a bowl (let’s call this growing bowl) and added just enough water to make it moist but not wet. I then mix thoroughly and placed some kitchen waste on this mixture to attract a lot of flies. You can use soup, fruits or anything that will attract a lot of flies. I used my dog’s leftover garri balls mixed with soup.

Good job!!.

What you've done here is you have created ORIGINAL wealth from thin air!. This's exactly the type of skill citizens from countries like US, Japan, Germany, possess and they use it to create products that we import. They exploit nature with knowledge of science thereby creating wealth from thin air!.

As you noted, flies are free so the sky is your limit, if you could find a way to monetize your product and expand your production capacity.

This's exactly the type of endeavors Africa need to get us out of poverty and the culture of dependency, and I explained this thoroughly in the part 2 of the link on my signature.

Indeed, Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science.

7 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 15, 2016
I have been doing this for year, i feed my fish with them.
I normally use mortality from the chicken farm, never fed maggots to my birds though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by thaoriginator: 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
Can it be eaten with indomie? cry
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Jacko1(m): 2:16pm On Feb 15, 2016
If you wanna harvest cockroach... Ma soakaway has plenty..... It is a very viable produce for fish and chicken too.... Keep up the good work....
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 15, 2016
dominique:
Very remarkable, I know maggots are sometimes used in hospitals to get rid of putrid wounds (I saw it in a documentary and was amazed at how neat the wound became by the time the maggots were removed). I love the way our modern day agriculturists think outside the box

undecided undecided undecided undecided i smell lies
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by prinsam30: 2:38pm On Feb 15, 2016
pls how can someone preserve these maggots, is it an everyday processing?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by bamdexfarms(m): 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
123papas:
why should it be defatted?

defattening will increase the protein density of the maggots.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by lepasharon(f): 3:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
Ewwww!

So you feed chickens and fish maggots, then people come and eat that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Gadgetmobil(m): 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by apholaryn: 3:17pm On Feb 15, 2016
thaoriginator:
Can it be eaten with indomie? cry
if you wan enjoy am well..put am fr vegetable soup ...a cup full atleast

4 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Dicksonokeke(m): 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2016
nice idea
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Mrbigman1(m): 3:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
FarmTech:

Just thinking – In a war situation, isn’t this a very good source of super cheap protein?

Much more practical details here: Growing Maggot for Animal Feed: My Little Experiment

Re u kidding me?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by IceDude(m): 3:29pm On Feb 15, 2016
Nice!.......Its kinda irritating sha, cant do it
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by thaoriginator: 3:37pm On Feb 15, 2016
apholaryn:
if you wan enjoy am well..put am fr vegetable soup ...a cup full atleast
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by thaoriginator: 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2016
Jacko1:
If you wanna harvest cockroach... Ma soakaway has plenty..... It is a very viable produce for fish and chicken too.... Keep up the good work....
you dey stay for igboro abi?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Babacele: 3:55pm On Feb 15, 2016
Beremx:
hey there? Longest time. cheesy
sup Jack? I'm doing great. how is your baby kicking? my regards to him.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Beremx(f): 4:00pm On Feb 15, 2016
Babacele:
sup Jack? I'm doing great. how is your baby kicking? my regards to him.
he's doing great. Thanks! cool
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Babacele: 4:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Beremx:
he's doing great. Thanks! cool
Lols..... hope to meet him some day n gist him abt how his mum- a one man e- soldier fought dangerous sataniods to a deafening standstill. I m proud o ya Jack! im sure he would too. cheers.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Beremx(f): 4:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Babacele:
Lols..... hope to meet him some day n gist how his a one man e- soldier fought sataniods to a deafening standstill. I m proud o ya Jack! cheers.
surely you will meet him someday. lol

cheers too. cool

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Babacele: 4:11pm On Feb 15, 2016
Obiagelli:
I have been doing this for year, i feed my fish with them.
I normally use mortality from the chicken farm, never fed maggots to my birds though.
obisweety ....u are a farmer too? wao!
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 15, 2016
Babacele:
obisweety ....u are a farmer too? wao!
Yes
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Abidex35(m): 4:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
this is what I call, creating an untapped niche, @op , keep us updated, let's see how it goes!
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by tunezvic(m): 4:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
IceDude:
Nice!.......Its kinda irritating sha, cant do it
maggot wey I dey use hand pack...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What My Fish Farm & Fishing Occupation Gave Me / Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.