Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,456 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (62693 Views)

In Need Of Suppliers Of Yellow Maize For Animal Feed In Large Quantity / Cross Rivers State "Rice City" Project In Pictures / Now That There Is No Imported Fish Feed In Nigeria . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2016
Obiagelli:

The bolded is why i dont try it on my birds, the only non conventional thing i do with my birds is feeding them water leaf in very hot weather to boost vitamins and minerals.
With this my method, there is no need to fear botulism.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 1:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
GURION:

Lols...remember those vegetables also grow well on soil enriched by dead and decomposing animals/human beings.
Whichever way u look at it...its a cycle.
The simple solution for such people is to change the way they think. Don't try to follow follow what vegetarians are doing. It is an unhealthy way to live and a kind of self-imposed bondage.

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 1:03pm On Feb 16, 2016
jeckin205:
Farm Tech@ Will it be hygeine to Mix maggot with poultry feed and feed its to chickenWill it be hygeine to Mix maggot with poultry feed and feed its to chicken
Yes, so far as u sterilize it with very hot water. Or u steam cook it .
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:
.. With this my method, there is no need to fear botulism.
Do you mean feeding water leaf? no
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 1:18pm On Feb 16, 2016
Obiagelli:
Do you mean feeding water leaf? no
.. With this mtd of raising maggots.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:

With this mtd of raising maggots.
I only feed my fishes with the maggot, i have never had problems doing. I even feed them with chicken mortality atimes, i just burn the feathers off the dead birds and throw the slightly roasted chicken in the pond.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Santi222(m): 3:33pm On Feb 16, 2016
nice, op.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 5:38pm On Feb 16, 2016
Obiagelli:

I only feed my fishes with the maggot, i have never had problems doing. I even feed them with chicken mortality atimes, i just burn the feathers off the dead birds and throw the slightly roasted chicken in the pond.

A lot of people do it that way. But for me, I'll prefer cooking it first for 2 reasons: to kill dangerous bacteria and to make it more digestible. Most time it is impossible to know whether something is working if u did not try it the other way. And one thing with bacteria and viruses is that they may not strike ur fish immediately until after weeks have passed. They can also slow down growth without u noticing.
Many pigs farmers are also making this mistake. They believed that a pig is a pig and so u can feed them any dirty scrap and get away with it. Farmers like that don't usually succeed bc by the time u go large scale and continue feeding them as before, diseases will soon close down the farm and frustrate u out of the business. I don't joke with dangerous bacteria and viruses. Respect them and u'll go far in agriculture.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by whirlwind7(m): 5:45pm On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:

The simple solution for such people is to change the way they think. Don't try to follow follow what vegetarians are doing. It is an unhealthy way to live and a kind of self-imposed bondage.

Sincerely, I don't think the purpose of this thread is to answer ridiculous questions or respond to statements about how unhealthy or even poisonous this practice could be. Let those who see the massive opportunity in this idea learn from it.

These arguments remind me of a certain haughty lady at a grocery who was about to buy meat. when the butcher suggested she can buy some cow tongue, she took offense, and said she is above eating anything that comes from inside the mouth of an animal. The butcher then asked her: do you eat eggs? Her reply: of course I do! cheesy

Get it? She won't eat something that comes from the mouth of a cow, yet she eats something that comes from the ass of a chicken.

If all these guys haven't still realized that everything we eat comes from a cycle of nature-recycled plants, animal and even human beings, what are they doing in the agriculture section?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:

A lot of people do it that way. But for me, I'll prefer cooking it first for 2 reasons: to kill dangerous bacteria and to make it more digestible. Most time it is impossible to know whether something is working if u did not try it the other way. And one thing with bacteria and viruses is that they may not strike ur fish immediately until after weeks have passed. They can also slow down growth without u noticing.
Many pigs farmers are also making this mistake. They believed that a pig is a pig and so u can feed them any dirty scrap and get away with it. Farmers like that don't usually succeed bc by the time u go large scale and continue feeding them as before, diseases will soon close down the farm and frustrate u out of the business. I don't joke with dangerous bacteria and viruses. Respect them and u'll go far in agriculture.
You have some point, but when dealing with between 10 to 20 mortality everyday, its a bit of work to defeather and boil. Anyways i dont expect bacteria to survive the heat from burning/roasting, the fluid in the bird is already boiling at that point.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 7:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
whirlwind7:

Sincerely, I don't think the purpose of this thread is to answer ridiculous questions or respond to statements about how unhealthy or even poisonous this practice could be. Let those who see the massive opportunity in this idea learn from it.

These arguments remind me of a certain haughty lady at a grocery who was about to buy meat. when the butcher suggested she can buy some cow tongue, she took offense, and said she is above eating anything that comes from inside the mouth of an animal. The butcher then asked her: do you eat eggs? Her reply: of course I do! cheesy

Get it? She won't eat something that comes from the mouth of a cow, yet she eats something that comes from the ass of a chicken.

If all these guys haven't still realized that everything we eat comes from a cycle of nature-recycled plants, animal and even human beings, what are they doing in the agriculture section?
I understand you bro. I just want to see if I can help some change the way they think.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 7:53pm On Feb 16, 2016
Obiagelli:

You have some point, but when dealing with between 10 to 20 mortality everyday, its a bit of work to defeather and boil. Anyways i dont expect bacteria to survive the heat from burning/roasting, the fluid in the bird is already boiling at that point.
Pls don't be offended, how many birds do u have? I find the mortality frightening. What is the overall mortality like?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 9:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:

Pls don't be offended, how many birds do u have? I find the mortality frightening. What is the overall mortality like?
Couple of thousands, don't want too much info on a public forum, i hope u'll understand.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by xqeypoo: 10:32pm On Feb 16, 2016
I need. To talk to pls 080370733574
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 10:25am On Feb 17, 2016
Obiagelli:

Couple of thousands, don't want too much info on a public forum, i hope u'll understand.
Yes I do. Check the overall mortality, if it is greater than 5% something is wrong. And as for feeding them to fish after roasting, that's not very efficient because some microbes can survive that - like those in the intestine and in the flesh.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 17, 2016
FarmTech:

Yes I do. Check the overall mortality, if it is greater than 5% something is wrong. And as for feeding them to fish after roasting, that's not very efficient because some microbes can survive that - like those in the intestine and in the flesh.
It is way less than 0.1%. Thanks for the advice on the feeding method
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 12:35am On Feb 18, 2016
Obiagelli:

It is way less than 0.1%. Thanks for the advice on the feeding method
That's good then.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 12:37am On Feb 18, 2016
xqeypoo:
I need. To talk to pls 080370733574
I sent you a mail
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by prinsam30: 7:14am On Mar 31, 2016
FarmTech:

Once you dry it very well and store in an airtight container or nylon, it will last for years.

thanks
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 21, 2016
FarmTech:

You're all wlcm.

I've come across articles on black soldier flies, but mainly from white men. Are these flies in Africa?

http://www.agriprotein.com/
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 21, 2016
joborskill:

undecided undecided undecided undecided i smell lies

If you watched discovery channel frequently you won't smell lies

2 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by MrPristine: 10:34am On Oct 11, 2016
Very interesting article, just what I have been looking for.smiley
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by kennysympathy(m): 8:58pm On Oct 15, 2016
I have been doing this for year, i feed my fish with them.
I normally use mortality from the chicken farm, never fed maggots to my birds though.

Feeding them to do fishes, hope it won't affect their growth in size and weight?

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Councelor(m): 1:29pm On Oct 19, 2016
To generate maggot, u need organic waste as a medium... I am just the right person you want to talk to. I can supply u with cool fly attracting organic waste that can culture maggot in their numbers.... This organic waste is a by product of food producing company effluent treatment plant which has passed through a decanter centrifuge to help dewater it and make it come out as slurry, which is just perfect to culture maggot....AND IT COST ALMOST NOTHING!!!! Add me on whatsapp for pic and video of the organic waste on 07085717818

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by peterbabs(m): 12:44pm On Nov 10, 2016
FarmTech:

You're all wlcm.

I've come across articles on black soldier flies, but mainly from white men. Are these flies in Africa?

Yes, they are, Sir!

https://www.nairaland.com/3148746/black-soldier-fly-larva-bsfl
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by oladimejioo: 5:06pm On Nov 10, 2016
bamdexfarms:

defattening will increase the protein density of the maggots.
In as much the defattening will increase protein density, it should not be forgotten that the oil is also important. So why remove something will need to buy when you want to compound your feed. Also adding hot water will result in reduced oil level and hot water will dissolve the oil, thus reducing the oil level especially knowing fully well maggot has high moisture content.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2016
peterbabs:

Yes, they are, Sir!
https://www.nairaland.com/3148746/black-soldier-fly-larva-bsfl
Thanks. I've encountered them several times.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 11:34pm On Nov 16, 2016
oladimejioo:

In as much the defattening will increase protein density, it should not be forgotten that the oil is also important. So why remove something will need to buy when you want to compound your feed. Also adding hot water will result in reduced oil level and hot water will dissolve the oil, thus reducing the oil level especially knowing fully well maggot has high moisture content.

Sterilizing is extremely important to avoid disease transmission.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by W3xy1(m): 4:54pm On Jul 05, 2018
how did you do it without much smell?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by rumenase(m): 11:31pm On Sep 05, 2018
midastouch:
@Farmtech,

This is admirable. You can also try it with Black Solder Fly (BSF), the flies do not have mouth openings and are therefore considered more sterile (safer) and non disease transmitting.

how can they be attracted?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.