Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (62752 Views)

In Need Of Suppliers Of Yellow Maize For Animal Feed In Large Quantity / Cross Rivers State "Rice City" Project In Pictures / Now That There Is No Imported Fish Feed In Nigeria . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by IceDude(m): 4:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
tunezvic:
maggot wey I dey use hand pack...
Pls stop!.....Dont make me puke

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Babacele: 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2016
Obiagelli:

Yes
nice...... heated CBN loan this time around is real n from d snippets I have snooped ,it seem true cos a few folks are looking for bankable bizplans seriously.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Babacele:
nice...... heated CBN loan this time around is real n from d snippets I have snooped ,it seem true cos a few folks are looking for bankable bizplans seriously.
Lets hope so, looking positive though
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 15, 2016
FarmTech:
With the high price of animal feed, growing maggots is beginning to make sense. Maggots come from flies. When flies lay eggs, the eggs pass through several stages before they turn into flies. One of the stages is the maggot stage.
You can use the maggot to feed fish, chickens and other animals. I’m targeting fish and chickens but I’ll be starting with chickens.

Growing The Maggots
To grow maggot, you need cheap inputs like manure, kitchen waste and sawdust or rice hull. I mixed rice hull with manure (my layers’ droppings) in a bowl (let’s call this growing bowl) and added just enough water to make it moist but not wet. I then mix thoroughly and placed some kitchen waste on this mixture to attract a lot of flies. You can use soup, fruits or anything that will attract a lot of flies. I used my dog’s leftover garri balls mixed with soup.

This isn't new and it has been in existence since I can remember , maggots are good sources of protein for animal feeding. Have you been to Shongai farms in Benin Republic ? You need to see where they grow their maggots.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by CharLee22: 7:27pm On Feb 15, 2016
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Baroba(m): 7:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
dominique:
Very remarkable, I know maggots are sometimes used in hospitals to get rid of putrid wounds (I saw it in a documentary and was amazed at how neat the wound became by the time the maggots were removed). I love the way our modern day agriculturists think outside the box

True, those are sterile farmed maggots. The are used in treating leg ulceration and infected wounds.. The maggots are packaged in teabags, when placed on wound beds, the grow fat eating just dead skin tissue while leaving health ones alone which in turn promotes wound healing.. It's quite amazing and gross at the same time.. Even leeches are used to improve blood circulation on wound sites..

3 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 8:41pm On Feb 15, 2016
BELEXYFARMS:

Nice write up and pics. How long does one need to wait for the flies to finish laying before covering up the growing bowl?
I started it in the evening around 4pm and close it towards night time.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 8:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Clear up some points for me please

I got up to the part of attracting the flies. Where I got confused is how did you separate the fly eggs/maggots from the compost you used to attract the flies?

SO if we use fruits, are the eggs not layed on the fruits?

If we use garbage or feaces, how do we separate the garbage from the eggs.

Thanks.
U don't need to separate the eggs. They will hatch and start feeding on the manure. It is the maggot that you separate as shown.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 8:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
dominique:
Very remarkable, I know maggots are sometimes used in hospitals to get rid of putrid wounds (I saw it in a documentary and was amazed at how neat the wound became by the time the maggots were removed). I love the way our modern day agriculturists think outside the box
It is called maggot therapy. It is a very effective method to clear decaying wound since the maggots will only feed on dead flesh and leave the live flesh alone. But I wonder how that would feel on someone's body.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
musicwriter:

Good job!!.

What you've done here is you have created ORIGINAL wealth from thin air!. This's exactly the type of skill citizens from countries like US, Japan, Germany, possess and they use it to create products that we import. They exploit nature with knowledge of science thereby creating wealth from thin air!.

As you noted, flies are free so the sky is your limit, if you could find a way to monetize your product and expand your production capacity.

This's exactly the type of endeavors Africa need to get us out of poverty and the culture of dependency, and I explained this thoroughly in the part 2 of the link on my signature.

Indeed, Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science.
Nice writeup, white men have been using our brains for a long time, esp in the area of commerce.
I'm looking up to scaling it up little by little. That's hw u learn from ur mistakes as u grow.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 8:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
Obiagelli:
I have been doing this for year, i feed my fish with them.
I normally use mortality from the chicken farm, never fed maggots to my birds though.
I've heard where people use it for fish as you said. But the problem there is the smell from rotting chicken. How do u deal with that? Also without sterilizing the maggots, the animals may suffer from botulism, esp poultry and other land animals, I don't know about fish.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 8:58pm On Feb 15, 2016
thaoriginator:
Can it be eaten with indomie? cry
Only do that when there is famine. Just get the knowledge and store it just in case.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:01pm On Feb 15, 2016
Jacko1:
If you wanna harvest cockroach... Ma soakaway has plenty..... It is a very viable produce for fish and chicken too.... Keep up the good work....
I despise cockroaches, and you went beyond that to mention soakaway.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:02pm On Feb 15, 2016
prinsam30:
pls how can someone preserve these maggots, is it an everyday processing?
Once you dry it very well and store in an airtight container or nylon, it will last for years.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:04pm On Feb 15, 2016
bamdexfarms:

defattening will increase the protein density of the maggots.
.. But how is the defating done? I'm interested.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
lepasharon:
Ewwww!

So you feed chickens and fish maggots, then people come and eat that?
Do you eat wild fishes? Or free range chickens? Or bush meats? If yes, don't be afraid because these animals have eaten a lot of things before they got to your table, including dead and decaying human beings.

3 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by musicwriter(m): 9:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
FarmTech:

Nice writeup, white men have been using our brains for a long time, esp in the area of commerce.
I'm looking up to scaling it up little by little. That's hw u learn from ur mistakes as u grow.

You've already succeeded!. It's a matter of time.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by lepasharon(f): 9:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
FarmTech:

Do you eat wild fishes? Or free range chickens? Or bush meats? If yes, don't be afraid because these animals have eaten a lot of things before they got to your table, including dead and decaying human beings.

Ahhh...I'm so disgusted...maybe I'll go vegetarian embarassed
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
Mrbigman1:

Re u kidding me?
No, u may understand when u experience famine first hand. Then u'll know that maggots, house rats, lizards etc are edible and you'll find them delicious. It is better than cannibalism which normally occur during famine.

3 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:17pm On Feb 15, 2016
neoapocalypse:

This isn't new and it has been in existence since I can remember , maggots are good sources of protein for animal feeding. Have you been to Shongai farms in Benin Republic ? You need to see where they grow their maggots.
I've not been there, have you? How do they grow theirs'

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:24pm On Feb 15, 2016
lepasharon:

U just need to change your psychology and most things like these will no longer maters. Learn how digestion works. When an animal eat wierd stuffs, the stuff get digested in terms of protein, carbohydrate, etc, and not in terms of the wierd stuff. Protein is protein no matter where u get it from. The diffeference might just be the amino acid profile.
But if you decide to go vegetarian u have a lot of readings to do to avoid malnutrition.

7 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by lepasharon(f): 12:28am On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:

U just need to change your psychology and most things like these will no longer maters. Learn how digestion works. When an animal eat wierd stuffs, the stuff get digested in terms of protein, carbohydrate, etc, and not in terms of the wierd stuff. Protein is protein no matter where u get it from. The diffeference might just be the amino acid profile.
But if you decide to go vegetarian u have a lot of readings to do to avoid malnutrition.

I am aware of that but still...
There is a reason why Jewish people eat Kosher. They say you are what you eat. Imagine eating chicken..which has consumed maggots that consumed feces.

People should have respect for their body

Are you like an agricultural scientist?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by solpat(m): 2:50am On Feb 16, 2016
Babacele:
yea ...war sits people eat cockroaches n some funny insects to survive. n besides people eat diff kind of maggots from oil palm trees , millipede like stuffs , grasshoppers etc.

Whaaaat *throws up*
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by CharleyCharley: 3:09am On Feb 16, 2016
Babacele:
Lols..... hope to meet him some day n gist him abt how his mum- a one man e- soldier fought dangerous sataniods to a deafening standstill. I m proud o ya Jack! im sure he would too. cheers.

Apc zombie.

As you can see, this thread is in agriculture section, so I don't think there's any need to showcase your mental slavery on here. Carry your zombie-ism back to politics section & do what you know how to do best.

Ozuo. undecided
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by jeckin205: 6:12am On Feb 16, 2016
Farm Tech@ Will it be hygeine to Mix maggot with poultry feed and feed its to chicken
FarmTech:

Will it be hygeine to Mix maggot with poultry feed and feed its to chicken
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by GURION: 6:29am On Feb 16, 2016
lepasharon:

Lols...remember those vegetables also grow well on soil enriched by dead and decomposing animals/human beings.
Whichever way u look at it...its a cycle.

4 Likes

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by RillJ(m): 7:10am On Feb 16, 2016
Q: What is your line of business?

Ans: Maggots!
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Kalashnikov102(m): 7:52am On Feb 16, 2016
Brox na wash you dey wash am? see ad den dey shine...
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 16, 2016
FarmTech:

I've heard where people use it for fish as you said. But the problem there is the smell from rotting chicken. How do u deal with that? Also without sterilizing the maggots, the animals may suffer from botulism, esp poultry and other land animals, I don't know about fish.
The bolded is why i dont try it on my birds, the only non conventional thing i do with my birds is feeding them water leaf in very hot weather to boost vitamins and minerals.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Babacele: 8:17am On Feb 16, 2016
CharleyCharley:

Apc zombie.

As you can see, this thread is in agriculture section, so I don't think there's any need to showcase your mental slavery on here. Carry your zombie-ism back to politics section & do what you know how to do best.

Ozuo. undecided
I'm sure I vnt done anything to you. I ll take this with a smile n let it go but pls back off or I report you to the mods.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Babacele: 8:18am On Feb 16, 2016
solpat:

Whaaaat *throws up*
lols
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 12:55pm On Feb 16, 2016
lepasharon:

I am aware of that but still...
There is a reason why Jewish people eat Kosher. They say you are what you eat. Imagine eating chicken..which has consumed maggots that consumed feces.

People should have respect for their body

Are you like an agricultural scientist?
Christians don't follow jewish laws. Nothing God created shud be called impure if u recieve it with thanksgiving. The statement "you are what u eat" doesn't apply here so far as u maintain a balanced diet. If u go vegetarian, the vegetables u'll be eating are being fertilized by manure too.
No I'm not an agric scientist, just had passion for it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria? / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.