Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,587 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? (27505 Views)

Kidnapping: Emenike Advises Mikel To Buy His Parents House Outside Enugu / Mikel To Play Argentina Match With Injury. / Fan Advises Mikel To Leave Olga Diyachenko & Come & Marry In Nigeria. She Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by talk2tosep(m): 5:29pm On Feb 22, 2016
Lol @the boy is good who are yu?
mikron:
mikel has always been a good player from his youthful days, with the right manager to guide him he always gives u the best, i hope oliseh is watching this new resurgent mikel? the boy is good.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by maestroferddi: 5:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mikel is a risk averse player.

He only has himself to blame for not living up to billing...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ever heard of monday night football? #smiles

Now you know...

CaroLyner:
what is footballl news doing on frontpage on a monday
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by FreeBoss: 5:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
A great player can never be confined to the bench
when he is not nursing any injury. So, he is not
considered for the first eleven team.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2016
cruzita:
mourihno destroyed Mikel ,but u can see changes in his games under this new manager .I have always known Mikel to be a game killer ,he doesn't push attacks ,u give him pass at the midfield and he sends it back to the keeper,but now he gives accurate passes,opens up to receive passes and even tries to score. Under hiddink I think we are going to see more of Mikel.I rest my case

It may be 10 years late though.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2016
CaroLyner:
what is footballl news doing on frontpage on a monday
Babe relax its allowed. You should be complaining about that gay bisi post that got to front page.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by bikerboy1(m): 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2016
Segadem:
yeah he's good but inferiority complex dhey worry am.

ONE MAJOR PROBLEM MIKEL NEEDS TO TACKLE
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by danielblessing(m): 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
If Mourinho was the coach am very sure he won't select Mikel.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
For those of you saying if he(mikel) had gone to manchester united he would have done better, don't forget that there has been no successful african @ united for the past 2 decades.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Sunnypa11(m): 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
I Love him as a player and his medals is the result of a legend...

He is not like many naija players that will run to vietnam because of playing time.

Even ONAZI has been warming the bench and no one will ever complain and he will play against Egypt.

Mikel is the only naija player with the heart to remain at the top and rob shoulder with top players and IHEANACHO is following same step.

Do whatever u have to do to become a successful person.

His not taking risk style of soccer(Loyal and not selfish) is what made him remain a chelsea player today.

Other Naija players should standup and be counted in golds.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by AskIfa(m): 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mourinho wouldn't have allowed him. Mourinho was the worst thing ever to happen to Chelsea and his sack was a big relief

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 22, 2016
edoziebobbyyahoocom:
For those of you saying if he(mikel) had gone to manchester united he would have done better, don't forget that there has been no successful african @ united for the past 2 decades.

quinton fortune was a succesful african player in ManU

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by abbey621(m): 5:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
Each coach has his or her own philosophy. Mourinho is one of the best coach in the world but his tactics demands less creativity and more defending. This has worked well for him in the past and it's only when he's pressurized to attack that the team collapses and he panics. Mikel's natural style of play would suit a Hiddink or a Guardiola because they focus less on defending hence a holding midfielder is given room for creativity. Let's not forget Mikel is one of the best passers and ball holders we've ever seen but talent is nothing when compared to a team's or the mentality of a coach.

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by spencekat(m): 5:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
NO

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by 12345DKO(m): 5:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
AskIfa:
Mourinho wouldn't have allowed him. Mourinho was the worst thing ever to happen to Chelsea and his sack was a big relief
DID YOU JUST TYPE MOURINHO WAS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO CHELSEA? GUY YOU FALL HAND OOO.
TELL ME WHICH COACH GAVE THE CLUB:

3 PREMIER LEAGUE TROPHIES.

ONE FA CUP.

3 LEAGUE CUP (CAPITAL ONE CUP).

ONE COMMUNITY SHIELD.

AND ONE BAD SEASON YOU SAY HE IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO CHELSEA?
WE NIGERIANS AND OUR THINKING SHAAA

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:49pm On Feb 22, 2016
edoziebobbyyahoocom:

I totally disagree because Sir Alex Ferguson never chased a player the way he chased Mikel. From the moment SAF saw Mikel train at Man Utd, he saw him as a special breed and fought for Mikel.

What makes it more painful is that there was a space in the Man Utd team for Mikel. A place SAF filled with Michael Carrick.

Ferguson does not sign African players because of many of them lack technical passing playing patterns. Something you see in Scholes, Xavi and Pirlo. That was something he saw in Mikel.

What gives me joy is that, in our golden generation, we already have four of them.

Obinna Nwobodo, Alex Iwobi, Ifeanyi Matthew and Kelechi Nwakali. Among the four of them, Nwobodo is King.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by treasuremi1(m): 5:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
As much as I love Jose Mourinho, (to those saying he is the worst thing that happened to chelsea, I think they should av a rethink...by looking at the chelsea trophy cabinet...this same Jose brought more trophies to chelsea than any other manager. Just that every man has his bad sides) he may and may not play mikel in that match. If Matic was available, he would av given him the nod ahead of mikel. We saw him sticking to the likes of Ivanovic, Hazard, Matic in that team even when they were playing nonsense.
I have always believed mikel is a great midfielder, and to be honest he is motivated under Guus Hiddink. He has upped his game and I think he wants to prove Jose wrong for putting him on the bench hence the extra motivation. All the same, it's been good for chelsea and hopefully matic too will fight back and our midfield becomes solid as ever. KTBFFH
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Fkhalifa(m): 5:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
^^^^bro are you sure you ve watched Alex iwobi of Arsenal and ihenacho?
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2016
Lasveg:
am laughing at chelsea for not wanting to make hiddink their permanent manager. The bloke has an outstanding record at chelsea plus only 2 defeats in his two stints as a chelsea manager.
is no body's fault, he said he doesn't want to coach chelsea next season, chelsea is not a idea place for long term managers
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by SimonN(m): 6:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
mikel lacks confidence. with time i know he will get better
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by abimbawealth(f): 6:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mourinho robbed a lot of people, made them believe Mikel is a lost course...choi
Hiddink, you rock

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by habsydiamond(m): 6:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mikel is in form presently. Guus hindink is really working magic at chelsea. Chelsea will improve more next season. UP CHELSEA
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:13pm On Feb 22, 2016
Fkhalifa:
^^^^bro are you sure you ve watched Alex iwobi of Arsenal and ihenacho?

I do not understand your question. I did not mention Iheanacho but Kelechi Nwakali. I have also watched Iwobi in the fame he played against Burnley this year.

I am a Cityzen and I have watched a lot of Nacho games.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by abimbawealth(f): 6:15pm On Feb 22, 2016
Segadem:
Infe wetin? That guy is a BOSS, go ask Olga...

Don't mistake his 'cool-headedness' for inferiority ish

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by tallfish145(m): 6:15pm On Feb 22, 2016
I am yet to see any resurgence in him and for those wishing him to become next Africa best player,better have a rethink because current holder is still on fire with dormund.SLOWBI MIKEL
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by enomakos(m): 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
robosky02:

yea i like that the boy is good
hopefully he wins the african best tis year
you are dreaming right bro? If mikel will the african award i will overthrow buhari
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by BizBooks(m): 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
Segadem:

Mikel lacks the confidence to go forward, how many times have u seen him in an eighteen box? We always see Cahil, John Terry, even Zouma coming from far back behind to score, and someone who is a mid-fielder refuses to go forward...

Defenders are usually tall. That's why you see players like Terry, Cahill, Zouma and Ivanovic in
the opponent's 18 yard box especially when a corner or free kick is being taken. Have you ever
wondered who covers for the defenders when they are not in their positions? For Chelsea, it
used to be Mikel's task to cover for them. But now, that task has fallen to Fabregas, allowing
Mikel to move upfront. If your defenders are in the opponent's 18 yard box, you must have
somebody to cover for them or else you will suffer a counter-attack.

Segadem:

We know how he plays as a commander-in-chief in all aspect in Super Eagles team, he wants to play all the corner, he wants to play all the free kick, and he wants to play penalty as well, and the question is how many corners has he played for Chelsea and how many free kicks has he played for them?

Again, you seem to be missing the point. Every team has designated players for set plays.
It is not first come, first served. At Chelsea, the designations are as follows:

1. Penalty Kicks - Frank Lampard (Now that he is gone, Hazard or Oscar)
2. Free Kicks - Willian
3. Corner Kicks - Willian or Fabregas

The same applies to other teams. So you have to study teams to understand how they operate.

Finally, we have to realize that Hiddink did not put Mikel in the team to score goals. Quite the
opposite. In fact, Hiddink himself said he started playing Mikel to stabilize Chelsea because they
were conceding too many goals. And so far, that seems to be working.

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Dindondin(m): 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
Segadem:
Mourinho gave inferiority complex to him.
Mourinho is arguably Chelsea's best coach.
But he doesn't develop players.
He kills up coming stars.
His style is a style of instant success.
No longetivity. You can inherit his squared and be happy.
its gbese.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by kobonaire(m): 6:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
seankay:
hhhj
Oya you don successfully book space, so now change am to wetin you wan talk originally
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by aristosoft(m): 6:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
In all of these, Mikel has still scored 6 goals for Chelsea since the 2006/07 season as A DMF.

HOW MANY DID MAKALELE SCORE FOR CHELSEA?? 20?? 10??

One more question, how many goals have Mascherano scored for FC Barcelona as a DMF/Defender?. And pls, does his little or NO RETURN make him inferior?

Leave Mikel alone..... He got no inferiority complex. Every trophy he won at Chelsea, he was a major player in them..... 2009/2010 Epl title, 2012 UCL title, 2013 Europa league title, ALL FOUR F.A cup titles, and much more......

Nigeria conquered Africa because Mikel stood up to the Best Africa had to offer in midfield from Yaya toure to seydou keita even to Alain Traore.

Mikel bossed Yaya when Chelsea narrowly lost via the "away goals rule" in 2010/2011 UCL semi-finals. And bossed Yaya again when Nigeria overcame Ivory Coast @Afcon 2013.

Mikel bossed the Spanish midfielders @Fifa confederations cup 2013. And literally tore the Uruguayans apart. Inexperience and absence of other key players like Onazi (mikel's trusted midfield partner), Victor Moses, and Emenike (then on fire.... Seems he's discovered himself again for west ham) affected The Super Eagles @Fifa confed cup 2013.

Life itself is a risk.... No risks, no rewards..... Mikel may be short of true greatness because he may never live up to his fullest soccer potentials which we all saw @Fifa U-20 2005 BUT HE'S DONE ENOUGH IN THE PATH HE CHOSE AND WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS ONE OF AFRICA'S TOP 5 MOST DECORATED PLAYERS OF ALL TIME.......

Others in Mikel's elite club from Africa are Samuel Eto'o fils, Nwankwo Kanu, Didier Drogba, and even Seydou Keita.....

We can keep playing the game of "what ifs"..... What if he went to man utd? What if he never met mourinho? What if, what if what if

But Mikel's place is already among legends...... He's led Nigeria to a major continental title.

Messi is yet to do same for Argentina despite all his achievements and for me, messi is the best in this generation and arguably the best in history.... Maybe second only to the king Pele...(Edson arantes dos nascimento)

So this and many more is why I maintain that even in the far reaches of saturn or our galaxy or any other galaxy..... Mikel does not suffer any form of inferiority complex.

He may never fulfill his highest potentials which is so sad but he still remains "a midfield boss".....

Even the catalan greats, Xavi, iniesta and busquets agree to this after what they witnessed at his hands during the Fifa confederations cup 2013.

Mikel never lived up to his potentials partly because he never took risk under Mourinho.
I think he 'fears' Mourinho too much.
All other Chelsea coach used him very well except Mourinho.
However, it will be ridiculous to mention Mikel in the region of greats like Kanu, Okocha, Etoo, Drogba, Seydou Keita, Yaya Toure or world-class midfielders like Xavi, Busquet, Makelele, Pirlo, Vieira, etc.

He's good but never lived up to his potentials. Those guys are REGULAR FIRST TEAM PLAYERS with Winning Team. They were not onlookers when it mattered. They weren't intimidated out of their games.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Fabulous7(m): 6:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
#Teammikel
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by seankay(m): 6:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
kobonaire:
Oya you don successfully book space, so now change am to wetin you wan talk originally
I don change am,Oya go read am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arsenal To Swap Aaron Ramsey For Ousmane Dembele Of Barcelona / Messi Out Of Super Eagles Friendly / Karim Benzema Announces His Retirement From International Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.