Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,344 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? (27501 Views)

Kidnapping: Emenike Advises Mikel To Buy His Parents House Outside Enugu / Mikel To Play Argentina Match With Injury. / Fan Advises Mikel To Leave Olga Diyachenko & Come & Marry In Nigeria. She Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by ontalenu1(m): 6:55pm On Feb 22, 2016
John mikel-obi has been a great player from day one of his international career but he was trained to play like a concrete back midfeilder(4) which great players like makalele, masherano, busquet,e.t.c played and never score much goals like we expected Mikel to do. Mikel always like to play to coach instruction like MOU who believes if u don't play to instruction u get to sit on the bench that's why he will not flourish playing for MOU but other coaches which di matteo can testify after building the team around him at the UCL final as back as 2012. Nigerians are also expecting too much from the guy when his playing is not a record to put down. I wonder why we Nigerians always support white players that knows nothing to play like our own then they were comparing matic to mikel which I had fought with many lads(argumentatively) about Mikel been a better player. If mikel the 4 in a team goes to play to score and by mistake the ball is been hijacked who will disturb the opponent? Mikel is the best in his position just like busquet, macherano and makelele. God bless Mikel

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
aristosoft:

Mikel never lived up to his potentials partly because he never took risk under Mourinho.
I think he 'fears' Mourinho too much.
All other Chelsea coach used him very well except Mourinho.
However, it will be ridiculous to mention Mikel in the region of greats like Kanu, Okocha, Etoo, Drogba, Seydou Keita, Yaya Toure or world-class midfielders like Xavi, Busquet, Makelele, Pirlo, Vieira, etc.

He's good but never lived up to his potentials. Those guys are REGULAR FIRST TEAM PLAYERS with Winning Team. They were not onlookers when it mattered. They weren't intimidated out of their games.

You are funny. Mikel was a regular first team player in a Winning team. He was a big part of Chelsea's trophy success. He is one of the most capped foreigners in the history of Chelsea.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by mentorken05(m): 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
robosky02:
Chelsea’s Mikel Obi scores 2nd ever goal in UEFA Champions League against PSG, watch here…

Super Eagles midfielder John Mikel Obi scored his second ever UEFA Champions League goal on his 58th appearance for Chelsea in the competition during their ‘Round of 16’ clash with PSG at the Parc des Princes in Paris.

The midfielder, who netted his first UCL goal during Chelsea’s 3-1 defeat of Sporting Lisbon in October 2014 at the Stamford Bridge, only have to play a couple of games to become the Nigerian player with highest appearance in the European competition, as former Arsenal FC player, Nwankwo Kanu leads with 60.

http://thenet.ng/2016/02/chelseas-mikel-obi-scores-2nd-ever-goal-in-uefa-champions-league-against-psg-watch-here/
Mr OP mikel`s first UCL goal wasn't against sporting...
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:01pm On Feb 22, 2016
mentorken05:

Please tell us which Club Mikel scored his first Champions league goal against.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by ontalenu1(m): 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2016
mentorken05:
. OP is correct sir

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 22, 2016
The only ish i have with Mikel is his Codeine Movement.... He's a good DM... An effing good Holding Midfielder in Mordern Age...

I always have an issue with his Back and sideways passing range... He should emulate peeps like Matuidi... Mordern age MF's play Box to Box not Holding MF..

I wish him luck tho.. I wish a more all-round display from him...
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:14pm On Feb 22, 2016
Djangocode:
The only ish i have with Mikel is his Codeine Movement.... He's a good DM... An effing good Holding Midfielder in Mordern Age...

I always have an issue with his Back and sideways passing range... He should emulate peeps like Matuidi... Mordern age MF's play Box to Box not Holding MF..

I wish him luck tho.. I wish a more all-round display from him...

Mikel and Matuidi are playing two different roles. In the next PSG game, watch Thiago Motta who plays behind Matuidi. Mikel plays the Thiago Motta role.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by kobonaire(m): 7:23pm On Feb 22, 2016
seankay:
I don change am,Oya go read am
Done, issued a 'like' too
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by r2beez(m): 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
cruzita:
mourihno destroyed Mikel ,but u can see changes in his games under this new manager .I have always known Mikel to be a game killer ,he doesn't push attacks ,u give him pass at the midfield and he sends it back to the keeper,but now he gives accurate passes,opens up to receive passes and even tries to score. Under hiddink I think we are going to see more of Mikel.I rest my case

U sure say u be woman?
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2016
Althogh mourinho is a good coach, he is dream killer and lacks man management.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by omonnakoda: 8:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
Segadem:

Mikel lacks the confidence to go forward, how many times have u seen him in an eighteen box? We always see Cahil, John Terry, even Zouma coming from far back behind to score, and someone who is a mid-fielder refuses to go forward. What happened against PSG shows to us clearly that if can go forward he too will become a regular goal scorer, and will all knew what prompted his decision to move forward that day. He wanted to redeem his image for the goal he caused.
Another thing about him is that he's too conscious of making any mistake and when u don't want to take a risk u can't get the best out of life. We know how he plays as a commander-in-chief in all aspect in Super Eagles team, he wants to play all the corner, he wants to play all the free kick, and he wants to play penalty as well,and the question is how many corners has he played for Chelsea and how many free kicks has he played for them? if inferiority complex no dhey worry am why will u have boldness at home and timid abroad?
I love him as a Chelsea fan, his success is our joy and the joy of Nigeria as a nation!
He was groomed to replace Makelele who rarely went forward too . That role needed a lot of discipline. The truth is Lampard was the one allowed to go forward because he was producing the goals. In a sense Mikel was sacrificed for Lampard and his development was stunted. With hindsight we alll see very clearly that he should have gone to Man U but hey ho!. I do not think he is timid he was shaped to be a 4 and with the way Chelsea play he needed to be disciplined. Over the years some of his best defensive and discipline displays have been against Barcelona against overwhelming pressure. Playing for Nigeria we have a different style and we have not had a manager who could bring out the best in him. He cannot improve as an attacking midfielder at Chelsea
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by cruzita(f): 8:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
r2beez:

U sure say u be woman?
wetin I be kwanu?
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by robosky02(m): 8:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
Honestly on a good day Mikel is a match winner

if he can do like YAYA mafter he moved to city

by completle rebranding himself i see him win that CAF Footballer of the once again for naija

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by BabaO2: 8:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
cruzita:
mourihno destroyed Mikel ,but u can see changes in his games under this new manager .I have always known Mikel to be a game killer ,he doesn't push attacks ,u give him pass at the midfield and he sends it back to the keeper,but now he gives accurate passes,opens up to receive passes and even tries to score. Under hiddink I think we are going to see more of Mikel.I rest my case
We celebrate wrong things and mediocrity in this country. Mikel was totally run down by European analysts/newspaper after the march, that he was technically deficient and can't live up to big matches. I 100% agreed with this view, it was his same error against Napoli in 2013 that cost Demateo his job.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 8:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
cruzita:
Mikel still played his best football under Mourinho.

All his chelsea goals were scored under Mourinho bar the psg goal.

It was under Mourinho he won man of the match at the new Wembley.

That he's playing well under hiddink does not mean José restricted him, we all saw how Matic who played Mikel position came out regularly. It was Mikel who decided to play like Makelele

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by BabaO2: 8:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
John Obi Mikel not good enough at the highest level John Obi Mikel rose to prominence at the same U17 World Cup as one Lionel Messi as an attacking midfielder. It is a position he still occupies when he represents Nigeria. Mikel was converted to a holding midfielder by Jose Mourinho and it is a role he undertakes with diligence – Guus Hiddink is a huge admirer. However, at the highest level - and a Champions League fixture against PSG is said level – he falls short as a holding midfielder. Chelsea badly missed the presence of Nemanja Matic on Tuesday. His return for the second leg could prove crucial as Chelsea attempt to make the quarter-final stage.
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/champions-league/2015-2016/5-truths_sto5178802/story.shtml
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by robosky02(m): 8:32pm On Feb 22, 2016

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Georgville(m): 8:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
Op are you saying Mikel neva played a champions League match under Mourinho? He scored his first UCL goal in 2014, under which coach please? Na wa for u ooo
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by blueAgent(m): 8:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
robosky02:

inferiority gini
abegii
that dude bosses chelsea
Which Chelsea? U are high
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by blueAgent(m): 9:01pm On Feb 22, 2016
AskIfa:
Mourinho wouldn't have allowed him. Mourinho was the worst thing ever to happen to Chelsea and his sack was a big relief

are u Sure?
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by blueAgent(m): 9:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
12345DKO:

DID YOU JUST TYPE MOURINHO WAS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO CHELSEA? GUY YOU FALL HAND OOO.
TELL ME WHICH COACH GAVE THE CLUB:

3 PREMIER LEAGUE TROPHIES.

ONE FA CUP.

3 LEAGUE CUP (CAPITAL ONE CUP).

ONE COMMUNITY SHIELD.

AND ONE BAD SEASON YOU SAY HE IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO CHELSEA?
WE NIGERIANS AND OUR THINKING SHAAA

Guy don't mind that clown. For 5seasons they could not win the league with all the coaches and mikel in the team. but Mourinho did. and he is here talking trash.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by blueAgent(m): 9:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
Dindondin:
Mourinho gave inferiority complex to him.
Mourinho is arguably Chelsea's best coach.
But he doesn't develop players.
He kills up coming stars.
His style is a style of instant success.
No longetivity. You can inherit his squared and be happy.
its gbese.

you are wrong. who was Robben before mourinho signed him or Deco,Varane, mikel failed to live up to expectation not mourinho
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
Thanks for this reply Sir..... I'm just tired of talking to some people...... Na wa ooo....

Saying Mikel isn't in Keita's or Drogba's class on the African continent....

Even Drogba never won an Afcon. Does that make him less of an African legend? Na wa ooo.... Some people sef...

TheGoodJoe:

You are funny. Mikel was a regular first team player in a Winning team. He was a big part of Chelsea's trophy success. He is one of the most capped foreigners in the history of Chelsea.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2016
xtervaganza:
Mikel still played his best football under Mourinho.

All his chelsea goals were scored under Mourinho bar the psg goal.

It was under Mourinho he won man of the match at the new Wembley.

That he's playing well under hiddink does not mean José restricted him, we all saw how Matic who played Mikel position came out regularly. It was Mikel who decided to play like Makelele

Mikel's best football was never under Mourinho. His best games were his champions league game against Barcelona in Hiddink's first reign, the second leg against Barcelona under Di Matteo and the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.

The memorable game under Mourinho was in the FA Cup final against Manchester United. That game was not as good as the ones above.

Mikel's best reign of playing consistently at a high level was under Ancelotti.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel and Matuidi are playing two different roles. In the next PSG game, watch Thiago Motta who plays behind Matuidi. Mikel plays the Thiago Motta role.

Even Holding MF's in mordern age do play key passes that sometimes dictate the tempo of the game...

Yu dont always go back to your defenders as a DM.. The work of a DM is to Break up opposition play and initiate counter attacks..

All am saying is that he's still a wee bit clumsy and needs to sharpen his gameplay.. Thiago Motta is a DM who plays a key role in PSG's Midfield, and he really dictates the Tempo of the game in MF.. Marco Verratti and Blaise Matuidi perform most of the Hacking, and all he does is Distribute key passes..

When yu dominate yo teams MF, thats what makes yu a Boss... Watch the likes of Coquelin, Schneiderlin, Tettey, Dembele, Carrick, Fernando, Drinkwater, Emre Can, Jedinak etc... They all play DM's most times and still Contribute like 45percent of their team's start-up attacks...
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Djangocode:

Even Holding MF's in mordern age do play key passes that sometimes dictate the tempo of the game...

Yu dont always go back to your defenders as a DM.. The work of a DM is to Break up opposition play and initiate counter attacks..

All am saying is that he's still a wee bit clumsy and needs to sharpen his gameplay.. Thiago Motta is a DM who plays a key role in PSG's Midfield, and he really dictates the Tempo of the game in MF.. Marco Verratti and Blaise Matuidi perform most of the Hacking, and all he does is Distribute key passes..

When yu dominate yo teams MF, thats what makes yu a Boss... Watch the likes of Coquelin, Schneiderlin, Tettey, Dembele, Carrick, Fernando, Drinkwater, Emre Can, Jedinak etc... They all play DM's most times and still Contribute like 45percent of their team's start-up attacks...

[b]Mikel plays to the coaches instructions. Watch him under Coach Keshi, at the Confeds against Spain, the AFCON and some of the qualifiers. He dominated and bossed the field on Numerous occasions.

Guus Hiddink described Mikel's current role at Chelsea as beautiful.

“He has very good sense, he doesn't do it in a brutal way, he's very elegant. Someone who can defend so smoothly is very beautiful.”...Guus Hiddink.

This is one of the masters of football speaking. Why I pointed Thiago Motta because, when he plays, he is almost invisible. Just like Mikel.

Mikel's role in this team is not to boss the game but bring balance to the team. That is cover the defenders and get the ball to the creative players close to him.

He is not slow but elegant and smooth.

Just as he had Lampard ahead of him on the pitch to boss the game. He has Fabregas who does the bossing role and sometimes Willian to do the box to box role.

Same way Thiago Motta provides balance for Veratti to boss the game and Matuidi to do the box to box role.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

[b]Mikel plays to the coaches instructions. Watch him under Coach Keshi, at the Confeds against Spain, the AFCON and some of the qualifiers. He dominated and bossed the field on Numerous occasions.

Guus Hiddink described Mikel's current role at Chelsea as beautiful.

“He has very good sense, he doesn't do it in a brutal way, he's very elegant. Someone who can defend so smoothly is very beautiful.”...Guus Hiddink.

This is one of the masters of football speaking. Why I pointed Thiago Motta because, when he plays, he is almost invisible. Just like Mikel.

Mikel's role in this team is not to boss the game but bring balance to the team. That is cover the defenders and get the ball to the creative players close to him.

He is not slow but elegant and smooth.

Just as he had Lampard ahead of him on the pitch to boss the game. He has Fabregas who is to does the bossing role and sometimes Willian to do the box to box role.

Same way Thiago Motta provides balance for Veratti to boss the game and Matuidi to do the box to box role.[/b]

Well, i get yo points tho.. I Just hope he ups his game tho.. I like his Calm attitude on-pitch, I felt he's just slow...

All in all, I Concur with yu Sire...

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
Djangocode:

Your also over the place. Are you saying Emre Can, Coquelin, Tettey, Schniederlin, Fernando and Carrick are up to Mikel's class? Come on. I am a Man City fan and I see Fernando going through a lot of brushing under Guardiola. Dembele plays a creative role, so he does not fit the role.

Mikel is better than the rest you listed there.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Your also over the place. Are you saying Emre Can, Coquelin, Tettey, Schniederlin, Fernando and Carrick are up to Mikel's class? Come on. I am a Man City fan and I see Fernando going through a lot of brushing under Guardiola. Dembele plays a creative role, so he does not fit the role.

Mikel is better than the rest you listed there.

Well, Fernando is a beast, he just needs a good Instructor.. Mikel is a good player too, Just that i feel he's slow.. And his passing range is not impressive.. Thats the problem i have with him.. Apart from these two ish i mentioned, he's a good Player...
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:13pm On Feb 22, 2016
Djangocode:

Well, Fernando is a beast, he just needs a good Instructor.. Mikel is a good player too, Just that i feel he's slow.. And his passing range is not impressive.. Thats the problem i have with him.. Apart from these two ish i mentioned, he's a good Player...

Actually, Mikel has a very good passing range but he plays to instruction. That is not his role.

"He's good in short passing," explained Hiddink. "I don't expect and I don't ask him to make the decisive final pass. He can but no, we let the other players do that."...Guus Hiddink.

That is how Hiddink wants him to play. Note that "But No" in the statement. The way you expect and want Mikel to play, is not what Hiddink wants from him. The coach wants him to keep it short and simple.

Fernando is a good player but Mikel is of a better class. That simple genius play is what drove Sir Alex Ferguson crazy to sign Mikel. Mourinho signed Mikel to keep him away from the master Coach Alex Ferguson from getting a gem.

Mourinho had no idea of handling Mikel's class.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:16pm On Feb 22, 2016
Djangocode:

I know there is something special about Fernando. I feel he is a pick by Guardiola. There is a reason why Villas-Boas was crazy about Fernando and also why the Cityzen bosses fought to sign him.

We just have to wait and see what Guardiola does with him.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by ofwest: 10:18pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mikel could have been as pungent as Messi today but for Mourinho who decided to bench him permanently at the back

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

David Moyes Shows Support For Kurt Zouma / Arsenal To Swap Aaron Ramsey For Ousmane Dembele Of Barcelona / Messi Out Of Super Eagles Friendly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.