Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,167 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? (27496 Views)

Kidnapping: Emenike Advises Mikel To Buy His Parents House Outside Enugu / Mikel To Play Argentina Match With Injury. / Fan Advises Mikel To Leave Olga Diyachenko & Come & Marry In Nigeria. She Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by ofwest: 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mikel could have been as pungent as Messi today but Mourinho who decided to bench him permanently at the back
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
ofwest:
Mikel could have been as pungent as Messi today but Mourinho who decided to bench him permanently at the back

We can only wonder what Mikel would have been if he played for years, side by side with Paul Scholes. Imagine Mikel working everyday in training with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Sir Alex Ferguson flew to Norway three times, begging Mikel to join Man Utd. Imagine one of the best coaches of all time begging a small boy.

Mikel goes down in the list of Nigerians like Amunike, Amokachi, Kanu Nwankwo, Okocha, Oruma, Ebiede, Ohenhen, Ikedia and Etim Esin.

These men had the talents to rule the World of football but one thing or the other caused them not to reach their true heights.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by seankay(m): 10:55pm On Feb 22, 2016
kobonaire:
Done, issued a 'like' too
Thanks bro cheesy
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Mujtahida: 11:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mourinho: that is the name of the disaster that happened to Mikel

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Feb 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I know there is something special about Fernando. I feel he is a pick by Guardiola. There is a reason why Villas-Boas was crazy about Fernando and also why the Cityzen bosses fought to sign him.

We just have to wait and see what Guardiola does with him.

Aight Sire... The Dude is almost a stealth-player.. Yu rarely see him, buh in the middle of the pack, he's a Strange Wolf...

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by IamAthens(m): 12:13am On Feb 23, 2016
Segadem:

Mikel lacks the confidence to go forward, how many times have u seen him in an eighteen box? We always see Cahil, John Terry, even Zouma coming from far back behind to score, and someone who is a mid-fielder refuses to go forward. What happened against PSG shows to us clearly that if can go forward he too will become a regular goal scorer, and will all knew what prompted his decision to move forward that day. He wanted to redeem his image for the goal he caused.
Another thing about him is that he's too conscious of making any mistake and when u don't want to take a risk u can't get the best out of life. We know how he plays as a commander-in-chief in all aspect in Super Eagles team, he wants to play all the corner, he wants to play all the free kick, and he wants to play penalty as well,and the question is how many corners has he played for Chelsea and how many free kicks has he played for them? if inferiority complex no dhey worry am why will u have boldness at home and timid abroad?
I love him as a Chelsea fan, his success is our joy and the joy of Nigeria as a nation!
OGA, you've said everything correctly I guess and am not here to argue with you. Have you ever played football? Do you know what it means for a player to know what his major role is? Do you think mikel doesn't want to score? How can you say that someone who has played in a massive European club like chelsea for over 8yrs having travelled across europe and won both the UCL and Europa league has inferiority complex? I've met people who know him and most of them say he's a shy person but let me say something here. I had played as a defensive midfielder for very local clubs in both abuja and keffi until I broke my leg in oct last year while playing and I can put it to you that when you play in such a position, at times you even forget that you need to score cos you'ld be very busy going about your duty which is to protect the back four. When a wind back attacks from the left hand side, it is expected that the three remaining defenders move more to the right and then the defensive midfielder is expected to cover for the overlapping defender just to avoid being too susceptible to counter attacks. How many times in his whole career has chelsea conceived a goal from counter attack when he's playing? I can go on and on with the analysis but I won't. Just know that mikel is good at what he does, as a shield he's cautious of his back four, makes sacrifices for the team (that's why football is a team sport anyway) and also he gives the team good balance.

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by daveP(m): 12:31am On Feb 23, 2016
slowly coming to pass as said earlier. mou never liked this guy.

good he's back on track

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by AreaFada2: 2:02am On Feb 23, 2016
cruzita:
mourihno destroyed Mikel ,but u can see changes in his games under this new manager .I have always known Mikel to be a game killer ,he doesn't push attacks ,[b]u give him pass at the midfield and he sends it back to the keeper,[/b]but now he gives accurate passes,opens up to receive passes and even tries to score. Under hiddink I think we are going to see more of Mikel.I rest my case

That was never actually fully correct.

His game was analysed by a UK football pundit a few years back. The computer counted his Touches and passes and analysed direction of passes.

The vast majority of passes were either forward or sideways. I was surprised because I used to believe seeing him mostly passing backwards.

Fact is we are more conscious of his back passes because we're more thrilled by attacking football. Anything that takes away from that thrill, even if 10 back passes per match, those stay in our memories than the 25 forward and sideways passes.

Remember, Mikel's game was shaped by Mourinho. Kill the game was the instruction. And he became very good at it. He reached the height of his game in the semi-final against Barca in 2012.

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 6:55am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel's best football was never under Mourinho. His best games were his champions league game against Barcelona in Hiddink's first reign, the second leg against Barcelona under Di Matteo and the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.

The memorable game under Mourinho was in the FA Cup final against Manchester United. That game was not as good as the ones above.

Mikel's best reign of playing consistently at a high level was under Ancelotti.
hahaha you're funny. Are you refer g to matches where chelsea were pressed back to the wall? Where chelsea defended for 90 minutes?

No doubt he defended well in those matches but chelsea defended as a unit and Mikel neber won man of the match in those matches

Now compare to the atmosphere of the 1st match in the renovated Wembley, an injury depleted chelsea, playing against the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Vidic and Ferdinand and he won man of the match not counting his much more illustrious teammates, a team that had 5 national teams captain
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by 1kinggy(m): 7:38am On Feb 23, 2016
I hope the next manager continues to field him otherwise, he'd be back to his Mourinho days in no time.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Ghnaija(m): 8:14am On Feb 23, 2016
Mikel kor Mikel ni de guy just dey over do see the foul he cmmited and the own goal. The person wey dey do Mikel wear canvas...
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Thryphosa(m): 8:20am On Feb 23, 2016
I have known for long that Mikel is a good player. I wish him the very best in Chelsea FC with lots of playing time.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:31am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
hahaha you're funny. Are you refer g to matches where chelsea were pressed back to the wall? Where chelsea defended for 90 minutes?

No doubt he defended well in those matches but chelsea defended as a unit and Mikel neber won man of the match in those matches

Now compare to the atmosphere of the 1st match in the renovated Wembley, an injury depleted chelsea, playing against the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Vidic and Ferdinand and he won man of the match not counting his much more illustrious teammates, a team that had 5 national teams captain

Mikel's performance in the Games I listed were better individually than the game at the FA Cup Final performance. It was a good performance by Mikel but not as good as the Barca games or the Champions league final.

Mikel had better runs under Di Matteo and Ancelotti than his days under Mourinho.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 8:43am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel's performance in the Games I listed were better individually than the game at the FA Cup Final performance. It was a good performance by Mikel but not as good as the Barca games or the Champions league final.

Mikel had better runs under Di Matteo and Ancelotti than his days under Mourinho.
then can you explain why Mikel only scored his goals under Mourinho and none under Di Matteo or Ancelotti?

Just deal with the fact that José benched for a better player Matic
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:53am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
then can you explain why Mikel only scored his goals under Mourinho and none under Di Matteo or Ancelotti?

That is because most of you see scoring goals as playing better when actually it is not. Mikel earned a lot of praise for his U20 outing in the 2005 World Cup. He did not score any goal in open play.

Mikel earned reviews for his fantastic performance against Crystal Palace this season but he did not score any goal. Mikel earned reviews for his performance against Bayern Munich (Putting out little fires - a pundit said) but he did not score in that game.

It is his interceptions, reading the games and the little short passes that makes the team tick that counts in Mikel's games.

Under Ancelotti, Mikel was special.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:04am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:

[b]Who is the best passer in the Premier League? John Obi Mikel? Over the last three seasons Chelsea’s holding midfielder has a higher pass-completion ratio than any other player in the top flight (89.93 per cent — Paul Scholes is second with 89.88).

He has made an astonishing 4,598 passes (over 1,000 more than Scholes – just think about how many that actually is). He is the beating heart of this Chelsea team, moving the ball with metronomic precision.

Ah, but it’s easy enough to keep completing passes when all you do is move the ball 10 yards sideways, no? Like the departed Ray Wilkins, is Mikel not just a midfield crab, safely shifting the ball laterally from one harmless position to another?

Until this season that was a fair enough accusation (although one that underestimates the importance a short pass can have) but this season Carlo Ancelotti has made Mikel something of a pet project.

When looking at ways of squeezing improved performances out of his champions he alighted on Mikel’s relatively passive role in attacking the opposition. The work is born out in the stats: he hits twice as many forward passes as he used to (two in five rather than one in five).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8130025/John-Obi-Mikel-reborn-as-Chelseas-undisputed-pass-master.html

What Ancelotti is actually doing is not teaching new skills but awakening old ones that have lain dormant in Mikel.
[/b]
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 9:11am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

[b]Who is the best passer in the Premier League? John Obi Mikel? Over the last three seasons Chelsea’s holding midfielder has a higher pass-completion ratio than any other player in the top flight (89.93 per cent — Paul Scholes is second with 89.88).

He has made an astonishing 4,598 passes (over 1,000 more than Scholes – just think about how many that actually is). He is the beating heart of this Chelsea team, moving the ball with metronomic precision.

Ah, but it’s easy enough to keep completing passes when all you do is move the ball 10 yards sideways, no? Like the departed Ray Wilkins, is Mikel not just a midfield crab, safely shifting the ball laterally from one harmless position to another?

Until this season that was a fair enough accusation (although one that underestimates the importance a short pass can have) but this season Carlo Ancelotti has made Mikel something of a pet project.

When looking at ways of squeezing improved performances out of his champions he alighted on Mikel’s relatively passive role in attacking the opposition. The work is born out in the stats: he hits twice as many forward passes as he used to (two in five rather than one in five).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8130025/John-Obi-Mikel-reborn-as-Chelseas-undisputed-pass-master.html[/b]
lol you're really quoting an analyst? Who may be right or wrong? Lol

And seriously my argument is not about Mikel being a good player, it's about your belief that Mourinho restricted him
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 9:13am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That is because most of you see scoring goals as playing better when actually it is not. Mikel earned a lot of praise for his U20 outing in the 2005 World Cup. He did not score any goal in open play.

Mikel earned reviews for his fantastic performance against Crystal Palace this season but he did not score any goal. Mikel earned reviews for his performance against Bayern Munich (Putting out little fires - a pundit said) but he did not score in that game.

It is his interceptions, reading the games and the little short passes that makes the team tick that counts in Mikel's games.

Under Ancelotti, Mikel was special.
under Ancelotti he was special? And he wasn't under Mourinho?

I remember how Mourinho's Internazionale Milan destroyed chelsea with his special Mikel lol
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
In all of these, Mikel has still scored 6 goals for Chelsea since the 2006/07 season as A DMF.

HOW MANY DID MAKALELE SCORE FOR CHELSEA?? 20?? 10??

One more question, how many goals have Mascherano scored for FC Barcelona as a DMF/Defender?. And pls, does his little or NO RETURN make him inferior?

Leave Mikel alone..... He got no inferiority complex. Every trophy he won at Chelsea, he was a major player in them..... 2009/2010 Epl title, 2012 UCL title, 2013 Europa league title, ALL FOUR F.A cup titles, and much more......

Nigeria conquered Africa because Mikel stood up to the Best Africa had to offer in midfield from Yaya toure to seydou keita even to Alain Traore.

Mikel bossed Yaya when Chelsea narrowly lost via the "away goals rule" in 2010/2011 UCL semi-finals. And bossed Yaya again when Nigeria overcame Ivory Coast @Afcon 2013.

Mikel bossed the Spanish midfielders @Fifa confederations cup 2013. And literally tore the Uruguayans apart. Inexperience and absence of other key players like Onazi (mikel's trusted midfield partner), Victor Moses, and Emenike (then on fire.... Seems he's discovered himself again for west ham) affected The Super Eagles @Fifa confed cup 2013.

Life itself is a risk.... No risks, no rewards..... Mikel may be short of true greatness because he may never live up to his fullest soccer potentials which we all saw @Fifa U-20 2005 BUT HE'S DONE ENOUGH IN THE PATH HE CHOSE AND WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS ONE OF AFRICA'S TOP 5 MOST DECORATED PLAYERS OF ALL TIME.......

Others in Mikel's elite club from Africa are Samuel Eto'o fils, Nwankwo Kanu, Didier Drogba, and even Seydou Keita.....

We can keep playing the game of "what ifs"..... What if he went to man utd? What if he never met mourinho? What if, what if what if

But Mikel's place is already among legends...... He's led Nigeria to a major continental title.

Messi is yet to do same for Argentina despite all his achievements and for me, messi is the best in this generation and arguably the best in history.... Maybe second only to the king Pele...(Edson arantes dos nascimento)

So this and many more is why I maintain that even in the far reaches of saturn or our galaxy or any other galaxy..... Mikel does not suffer any form of inferiority complex.

He may never fulfill his highest potentials which is so sad but he still remains "a midfield boss".....

Even the catalan greats, Xavi, iniesta and busquets agree to this after what they witnessed at his hands during the Fifa confederations cup 2013.

TIRI GBOSA FOR YOU!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by ItuExchange(m): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2016
He wouldn't have used him.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:03am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
under Ancelotti he was special? And he wasn't under Mourinho?

I remember how Mourinho's Internazionale Milan destroyed chelsea with his special Mikel lol

From your point, Xavi was not special because Mourinho's Inter Milan defeated Barcelona.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:06am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
lol you're really quoting an analyst? Who may be right or wrong? Lol

And seriously my argument is not about Mikel being a good player, it's about your belief that Mourinho restricted him

And what of the stats showing Mikel making over a thousand more passes than Scholes. Is that an analyst? Or the comments of Ray Wilkins?
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 10:39am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

And what of the stats showing Mikel making over a thousand more passes than Scholes. Is that an analyst? Or the comments of Ray Wilkins?
oh my god dude, are you seriously basing this on stats? Then christian eriksen is better than Iniesta and Gerrard is better than Pirlo & Xavi
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 10:41am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

From your point, Xavi was not special because Mourinho's Inter Milan defeated Barcelona.
see you, I would never say that. At least Barcelona that season beat Inter Milan twice.

Unlike Mikel and Chelsea who lost both matches to Inter
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by olisafincy(m): 10:42am On Feb 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
That's not true even in the far reaches of saturn....... Mikel suffers no inferiority complex.

this one dey learn english
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:42am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
see you, I would never say that. At least Barcelona that season beat Inter Milan twice.

Unlike Mikel and Chelsea who lost both matches to Inter

So because Man City lost both matches against Tottenham this season, you are saying Silva is not special?
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:45am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
oh my god dude, are you seriously basing this on stats? Then christian eriksen is better than Iniesta and Gerrard is better than Pirlo & Xavi

Please, can you tell me when Gerrard raked more passes than Xavi and Pirlo. Tell me when Eriksen raked more passes than Iniesta.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 11:07am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Please, can you tell me when Gerrard raked more passes than Xavi and Pirlo. Tell me when Eriksen raked more passes than Iniesta.
last season christian eriksen had more goals and assist than Iniesta

Gerrard had more career goals and assist than Xavi

Frank Lampard had more goals and assist than Xavi and Iniesta combined

Football is not all about passes and stats does not make a better footballer.

Mikel having more passes than Scholes will never make him better than Scholes
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 11:10am On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

So because Man City lost both matches against Tottenham this season, you are saying Silva is not special?
u our very funny. Silva has so far had an injury wrecked season and he has well and truly been below par

You can't compare to when in his pomp he was wiping the floor with Tottenham lol

It's a 2 different situation. Thanks
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:59am On Feb 23, 2016
xtervaganza:
last season christian eriksen had more goals and assist than Iniesta

Gerrard had more career goals and assist than Xavi

Frank Lampard had more goals and assist than Xavi and Iniesta combined

Football is not all about passes and stats does not make a better footballer.

Mikel having more passes than Scholes will never make him better than Scholes

You can see yourself. Arguing off point. Who is talking about goals and assist. I am talking of Ancelotti improving Mikel's game. In the U20, Mikel did not score any goal in open play but he was the best player.

The stat did not talk about goals and assist and then you bring in goals and assist that has no relation to the discussion.

Mikel's game was about passing in the U20. Ancelotti raised his game by making him one of the best passmaters in the EPL. Even at one time he performed better than the all time best pass master of the EPL.

If you can not argue based on this point. Leave it than throwing unrelated points.
Re: Mikel Shines: Do You Think Mourinho Would Have Allowed Mikel To Play UCL? by xtervaganza(m): 12:30pm On Feb 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You can see yourself. Arguing off point. Who is talking about goals and assist. I am talking of Ancelotti improving Mikel's game. In the U20, Mikel did not score any goal in open play but he was the best player.

The stat did not talk about goals and assist and then you bring in goals and assist that has no relation to the discussion.

Mikel's game was about passing in the U20. Ancelotti raised his game by making him one of the best passmaters in the EPL. Even at one time he performed better than the all time best pass master of the EPL.

If you can not argue based on this point. Leave it than throwing unrelated points.
his fame is based on passes? Where did you get this crap from?

Is football all about passing? Is a midfielder's primary job passing? What d hell am I reading?

For a player who based in style on passing how would rate his vision on a scale of 1 to 10? Truth is, you. Need to stop this fanboyism, Mikel is a good player, he will never be a great player anywhere in the world. If you think otherwise you're super super deluded.

Talking about passing; how do you rate him alongside Fabregas, Özil, Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes. No sane person will ever compare your god Mikel to the players I listed

Grt over yourself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Guinness World Record: Davido, Sowore Turn Up To Support Chess Master, Onakoya / Gracious Akujobi Dies (Super Falcons Media Officer ) / David Moyes Shows Support For Kurt Zouma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.