Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,953 members, 7,814,234 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Is Purgatory In The Bible? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (23597 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is purgatory real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by dhardline(m): 10:43am On Feb 21, 2016
Syncan:

That's not what I asked. Do you think Jesus went to hell fire where satan is?

I don't think....the scriptures is what i confide in and not my thoughts.

And if the scripture says he conquered death,hell(hades) and the grave then yes he did.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 21, 2016
Has anyone been there b4? So don't explain what u never experienced in ur life.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Empredboy(m): 10:45am On Feb 21, 2016
coolluk:
If it's appointed into a man judgement after death, where was Lazarus 3 days before Jesus resurrected him
ask them. They will tell u another story or they keep quite
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Syncan(m): 10:46am On Feb 21, 2016
malvisguy212:
NO, the place of death and hades, is it purgatory ?

Pick your choice of name. But It's neither hell where Satan is, nor heaven. It's somewhere that actually exists.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by theshaderoom: 10:46am On Feb 21, 2016
SamJed:
Here is what the bible says... It is appointed unto man once to die and after that judgement...Note the bolded...if you appoint someone for something you can reverse it for a reason...this explains why i believe most stories of people going to hell and heaven and coming back(not all are true though)...this also explains why one can be pronounced dead by doctors but after prayers by true children of God, the person will wake up...because it is appointed and not fixed... but for purgatory it is a pure lie...firstly there is no place in the bible where the word is mentioned...secondly the bible made it clear that if you receive Christ you will be saved and if you don't you are condemned...thirdly if the passage that says after death, judgement is anything to go by then purgatory is a pure lie...if there is supposed to be a clause like purgatory, it would have been included...the passage would have been "it is appointed unto man once to die, then a possible atonement while dead, then judgement.

This person am quoting clearly did not read the text
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Heart2heart(m): 10:48am On Feb 21, 2016
you nailed it.....
elderken:
Ancient Roman pagan belief mixed with the Roman catholic. Side of Christianity. It is purely a pagan belief
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by theshaderoom: 10:50am On Feb 21, 2016
[quote author=Amberon post=43113552]I Read your Post.

[s]Kindly desist from false doctrines. Purgatory is a lie from the pit of hell. It doesn't exist. Theres No forgiveness after death. Thats why Christ fives people a second chance by sending them back to earth in Other to amend their Way's and repent fully.[[/s]/quote]

You do not believe doesn't make it false

1 Like

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Syncan(m): 10:51am On Feb 21, 2016
dhardline:

I don't think....the scriptures is what i confide in and not my thoughts.

And if the scripture says he conquered death,hell(hades) and the grave then yes he did.

And if the scripture tells you that :

1cor3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

1cor3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire

1cor3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Why do you doubt verse 15?

(You're wrong though, because hell is used for various words having different meanings in greek. Hades, Gehenna, sheol, all mean differently.)
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Heart2heart(m): 10:53am On Feb 21, 2016
There is no definite time frame for judgement to take place. Four days on the physical is not same in the spiritual realm. Your ordinary sleep would tell you. you sleep for 12hours but all that happens in your dream of 12hrs seems just like 30mins happenings. There is no transit point between heaven and hell. There is no place like purgatory.
Empredboy:
ask them. They will tell u another story or they keep quite
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 21, 2016
It's because of this kind of teachings, the REV.FATHERS frequently mess up with the REV SISTERS and OTHERS because they believe that on their death, they will be purified in PURGATORY then straight to meet Jesus. THIS TYPE OF TEACHING IS A SCAM.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by dhardline(m): 10:55am On Feb 21, 2016
Ioannes:

well then, if Abraham was already in heaven and Lazarus too, then what is the essence of the death of Jesus on the cross if people can make heaven without Christ?

Oh btw, I wasn't suggesting the place was purgatory. just to let you know that there are intermediate states of existence apart from heaven and he'll.

If that is what you want to believe,who am i to change it but we should always learn to ask the Holy Spirit to teach us and also bear in mind that alot of Jesus Christ's teachings were in parables and alegories.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by malvisguy212: 10:55am On Feb 21, 2016
Syncan:

Pick your choice of name. But It's neither hell where Satan is, nor heaven. It's somewhere that actually exists.
alright.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by theshaderoom: 10:55am On Feb 21, 2016
superior1:
One of the demonic doctrines of roman Catholics used in raising funds for the pope

Raising funds for the pope? How? When? Carry on with your lies
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Heart2heart(m): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2016
There is no definite time frame for judgement to take place. Four days on the physical is not same in the spiritual realm. Your ordinary sleep would tell you. you sleep for 12hours but all that happens in your dream of 12hrs seems just like 30mins happenings. There is port of call between heaven and hell. There is no place like purgatory. Please did bible say laz was sojourning somewhere?
coolluk:
If it's appointed into a man judgement after death, where was Lazarus 3 days before Jesus resurrected him
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by theshaderoom: 10:59am On Feb 21, 2016
yahoomessenger:
Thanks a lot dear for this. It just made my faith stronger, though I know that no matter how you preach some people's heart is hardened and can never look at this topic objectively. One Love

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. Some people won't even keep an open mind! They just came on this thread armed with an opinion to comment without even reading the text.

I had my doubts until I read this article. Thank you OP for this
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Mariojane(f): 11:01am On Feb 21, 2016
If you say the word PURGATORY is not in the bible,is the word BIBLE in the bible? Yes it is written when you confess your sins and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour u will be save. Think of a murderer who at the last minutes of his life accept Jesus as his saviour, do u think he will just go nd hug God in heaven? Have u forgotten the story of Cain and Abel in the bible? God said Abel blood cried to him in heaven nd Cain was punished. Purgatory was a name given to the punishment. You don't have to die before u are punished for your sins. You can be punished for your sins even while u are still here on earth. The story of Jazebel nd her husband the king in the bible after murdering Naboth cos of his own property, God sent a prophet to the King nd after prophet Elijah told him his punishment for what he did, the king asked for forgiveness. God sent the prophet back that he will not bring disaster on him during his time but his son's lifetime . So what are we talking about here. No Sinner will go unpunished

1 Like

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 21, 2016
dhardline:

If that is what you want to believe,who am i to change it but we should always learn to ask the Holy Spirit to teach us and also bear in mind that alot of Jesus Christ's teachings were in parables and alegories.

my dear, there are more than a million different Christian denominations in the world with more being formed everyday with most of them teaching different things from the same Bible, yet the all lay claim to the Holy Spirit. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 21, 2016
Purgatory is for Catholics who has not been forgiven by the pope

1 Like

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by omonnakoda: 11:04am On Feb 21, 2016
It is often claimed that the Bible was written my men "Inspired" by God . Is this IN THE BIBLE anywhere? Did the MEN who wroe the various books in the Bible ever claim to be so inspired? WHERE did they make such claim?
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by DedeNkem: 11:05am On Feb 21, 2016
Religion is complete rubbish!
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Syncan(m): 11:05am On Feb 21, 2016
theshaderoom:

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. Some people won't even keep an open mind! They just came on this thread armed with an opinion to comment without even reading the text.

I had my doubts until I read this article. Thank you OP for this

Truth is they go about spreading hear says, no one has said "tell me about this purgatory" nor have they read about it. Believe me any day one of them picks a book on purgatory and reads, they will start to be better Christians and stop taking God for granted. How easy it is to lack respect in prayers, to prefer our ease to the accomplishment of duty, to sin by vanity, by impatience, by sensuality, by uncharitable thoughts and words, by wont of conformity to the will of God! How many of them consider these in blue as faults, they think they will just go into heaven with such defects.

1 Like

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Geulink: 11:07am On Feb 21, 2016
The Roman Church is Pagan. What papal's rome does is to confuse people to believing that they can institute laws and other beliefs which are not in the bible, only to lead many to eternal condemmation. Purgatory is their invention likewise Sunday worship, Christmas, Easter which is originally celebrated as Passover. The bible says 'my people perish because of lack of knowledge' . So those who have brain learn from it. Don't allow anybody to fool you. Seek to know the mystery so that you can become a master in it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by dhardline(m): 11:09am On Feb 21, 2016
Syncan:

And if the scripture tells you that :

1cor3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

1cor3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire

1cor3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Why do you doubt verse 15?

(You're wrong though, because hell is used for various words having different meanings in greek. Hades, Gehenna, sheol, all mean differently.)

Brother, have heard of self denial before? Or you just want to assume that the passage speaks of

physical fire or purgatory .ok then let me also assume that the works are also building with

physical gold,silver,precious stones,wood hay and straw.

The word of God i have learnt is not head knowledge.The holy spirit interprets accordingly to suite

the person and situation.My brother don't accept a teaching that will make you soft peddal your

quest for true and pure holiness given you the hope that you are free to live the way you like and

be cleansed after death.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Amberon: 11:10am On Feb 21, 2016
Its not a matter of what I believe, its a matter of what is true. My opinion has nothing to do with this. If a "supposed" important subject like purgatory is omitted from the bible, then it simply doesn't exist. [quote author=theshaderoom post=43116967][/quote]
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by yungpowers(m): 11:16am On Feb 21, 2016
All this catholic satanic doctrines
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Syncan(m): 11:17am On Feb 21, 2016
dhardline:

Brother, have heard of self denial before? Or you just want to assume that the passage speaks of

physical fire or purgatory .ok then let me also assume that the works are also building with

physical gold,silver,precious stones,wood hay and straw.

The word of God i have learnt is not head knowledge.The holy spirit interprets accordingly to suite

the person and situation.My brother don't accept a teaching that will make you soft peddal your

quest for true and pure holiness given you the hope that you are free to live the way you like and

be cleansed after death.

Oga you have not said anything. All you know is "I don't accept Purgatory". The Holy spirit has told you nothing. That passage is clearly talking about a man's end. The works are actually all you've done while on earth, fire is fire, spiritual fire for spiritual beings like a man's soul. And verse 15 clearly states that if a man's work burns (and he didn't destroy the temple of God...vs17) then he shall be saved yet so as by fire. What you clearly have denied in your self denial is the existence of that state whereby a soul is being purified and made ready for heaven by fire. The knowledge of purgatory actually makes you avoid the faults you normally wave away and not the other way round, do a little reading.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by dhardline(m): 11:18am On Feb 21, 2016
Ioannes:

my dear, there are more than a million different Christian denominations in the world with more being formed everyday with most of them teaching different things from the same Bible, yet the all lay claim to the Holy Spirit. undecided

True but the body of Christ is one.I was born a catholic then we converted to anglicans but i have

come to know this: true christianity is not by denomination.A true christian who seeks,ask and

knocks on that door to know the truth and has received the truth has the same revelation and

understanding with a true christian any other place or church or country.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Syncan(m): 11:20am On Feb 21, 2016
Geulink:
The Roman Church is Pagan. What papal's rome does is to confuse people to believing that they can institute laws and other beliefs which are not in the bible, only to lead many to eternal condemmation. Purgatory is their invention likewise Sunday worship, Christmas, Easter which is originally celebrated as Passover. The bible says 'my people perish because of lack of knowledge' . So those who have brain learn from it. Don't allow anybody to fool you. Seek to know the mystery so that you can become a master in it.

Sabbath People don come too, ok you've been heard.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by dhardline(m): 11:23am On Feb 21, 2016
Syncan:

Oga you have not said anything. All you know is "I don't accept Purgatory". The Holy spirit has told you nothing. That passage is clearly talking about a man's end. The works are actually all you've done while on earth, fire is fire, spiritual fire for spiritual beings like a man's soul. And verse 15 clearly states that if a man's work burns (and he didn't destroy the temple of God...vs17) then he shall be saved yet so as by fire. What you clearly have denied in your self denial is the existence of that state whereby a soul is being purified and made ready for heaven by fire. The knowledge of purgatory actually makes you avoid the faults you normally wave away and not the other way round, do a little reading.

Brother everyone is free to believe as he/she pleases.I have believed in the truth beyond

resonable doubt and I have been reading alot too about justification and sanctification and the

truth has set me free.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by Syncan(m): 11:26am On Feb 21, 2016
dhardline:

Brother everyone is free to believe as he/she pleases.I have believed in the truth beyond

resonable doubt and I have been reading alot too about justification and sanctification and the

truth has set me free.

So when you see the truth others believe in, do not try to say they are wrong, when you know nothing about it.
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by acooriz(m): 11:26am On Feb 21, 2016
SamJed:
Here is what the bible says... It is appointed unto man once to die and after that judgement...Note the bolded...if you appoint someone for something you can reverse it for a reason...this explains why i believe most stories of people going to hell and heaven and coming back(not all are true though)...this also explains why one can be pronounced dead by doctors but after prayers by true children of God, the person will wake up...because it is appointed and not fixed... but for purgatory it is a pure lie...firstly there is no place in the bible where the word is mentioned...secondly the bible made it clear that if you receive Christ you will be saved and if you don't you are condemned...thirdly if the passage that says after death, judgement is anything to go by then purgatory is a pure lie...if there is supposed to be a clause like purgatory, it would have been included...the passage would have been "it is appointed unto man once to die, then a possible atonement while dead, then judgement.
Summary of everything i have said is that their is nothing like purgatory...it is not biblical...
to make such a remark...i can tell that u are a member of an Orthodox church ....in questioning the existence of purgatory.. The roman Catholic teaching body of christ on earth which is the magesterium uses 2 components ...sacred scripture and tradition, bcuz d truth of matters is that not everything could enter inside the bible...so oral tradition of the early Christians as well as written ones are reviewed and documented
Re: Is Purgatory In The Bible? by tochstorm(m): 11:27am On Feb 21, 2016
dhardline:
That teaching will only lead one to hell,it is the devils tool to destroy many.

The simple reason is: Why strive to be sanctified here on earth if i can archieve that when i die in

purgatory?

Remember the bible said 'After death is judgement'. No intermediaries.
dude stop calling the devils name man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yahaya Aminu Sharif: An Open Letter To CAN By Nnamdi Abana / My View About Jim Iyke's Deliverance. / Pastors Reading From Ipad And Tablet Instead Of Holy Book. Right Or Wrong ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.