Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port (30547 Views)

Ikpeazu Starts The Reconstruction Of Faulks Road Aba / Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos / Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by YourMrBoo: 4:21pm On Feb 28, 2016
betterABIAstate:
nope, coastal lines are attributed to oceans and seas while banks are for rivers and lakes.

So are you trying to tell me that a whole river Niger doesn't have a coastline??
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by signz: 4:21pm On Feb 28, 2016
What about Ibaka deep seaport?

Any new information?

has it been abandoned?
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by hammerT: 4:24pm On Feb 28, 2016
YourMrBoo:

So are you trying to tell me that a whole river Niger doesn't have a coastline??

There is a River in Abia that empty directly into the sea. That is a direct access to the sea without interfering with both River or Akwa Ibom territory.

At the end build a deep seaport after discussing with our neighbour. It is bettter and safer than dredging the river. China has done it and so can we.

This is a map of Nigeria and am sure u can see the difference between Rivers, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Ondo AND Niger.

I know your not dumb.

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by YourMrBoo: 4:26pm On Feb 28, 2016
hammerT:

That's the more reasons why precautions must be taken when commencing such project to avoid any disaster.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Ogbuefi2020: 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2016
Omonkoda is a clown. Competition should be encouraged. Any place living on unfair monopoly will be surprised
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by YourMrBoo: 4:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
hammerT:

This is map of Nigeria and am sure u can see the difference between Rivers, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Ondo AND Niger.

I know your not dumb.

There is a River in Abia that empty directly into the sea. That is a direct access to the sea with out interfering with bothe River or Akwa Ibom territory. At the end build a deep seaport after discussing with our neighbour. It is bettter and safer than dredging. China has done and so can we.

If so, SE is never landlocked.
And same could go to Niger state but with a bigger price which is dredging....

Why do I say this??
Because river Niger empties directly to the Atlantic ocean....

If Abia can have access to the Atlantic ocean via its river Bank or coast line.
Then Niger state, kogi, delta, Anambra and other coastal lands to river Niger can have same fate...
That's my point..

Thank you.. But I don't think am dumb.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by yaki84: 4:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
omonnakoda:
Is this for import or export.People better wake up the import party is over

they can still import almajiris n amala eaters to come work in their plaintation.
just like wat china is doing to thais, cheap labour.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by fairheven: 4:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
omonnakoda:
There are several and your point is?

You guys should chill jare!

You keep talking about landlocked as if it a death sentence
SWITZERLAND is a landlocked country, and Nigerian economy can't even match up to them.
What is so special that we have archived as a country even with having a seaport?

Incase you don't know, The Suez canal is a man made port and it's far exceeds Lagos port in terms of significance and values
So what's the noise about been landlocked?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by hammerT: 4:35pm On Feb 28, 2016
YourMrBoo:

Why do I say this??

Then Niger state, kogi, delta, Anambra and other coastal lands to river Niger can have same fate...
That's my point..

Onitsha Riverport abandoned becos continuous dredging is expensive.

Do u know the distance to Rivers from Niger? Can u dredge that distance regularly?

How will u deal with areas of water fall? Break the mountain or hills?
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by YourMrBoo: 4:36pm On Feb 28, 2016
betterABIAstate:
southeast is currently landlocked but it doesn't mean we can't have a seaport (all thanks to IMO river and the friendly proximity of obuaku to the sea). According to international laws, even Nigeria cannot deprive Biafra access to the sea via IMO river.

Stop contradicting yourself, If they can access the sea via the IMO river... Then they are not landlocked anything....
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by betterABIAstate: 4:36pm On Feb 28, 2016
YourMrBoo:

it doesn't, I has banks because its a river
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by YourMrBoo: 4:39pm On Feb 28, 2016
betterABIAstate:
it doesn't, I has banks because its a river

Hmmm...
OK then.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by YourMrBoo: 4:41pm On Feb 28, 2016
hammerT:

Onitsha Riverport abandoned becos continuous dredging is expensive.

Do u know the distance to Rivers from Niger? Can u dredge that distance regularly?

How will u deal with areas of water fall? Break the mountain or hills?

I got your point now....

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by fairheven: 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2016
janellemonae:

All is well and good wt ur comment. I support Igbo striving to get a port if it will make them feel better. Everyone has a right to want sthn and its none of our business if they strive towards it.

My problem wt ur post is when u include SS in all these ur analogy. There are ports in the south south currently. I know for a fact DTS were dangote imports his raw materials from, not Lagos. Don't be sly in ur comment. I believe what mainly attracts businesses, especially food & oil (our largest imports by volume and cost) is d fact DT their largest market is currently in Lagos. They have warehouses there where there's an ease for logistics. I think Igbo businessmen can patronize d SS ports too but dont do this for these same reasons. Pretty sure 40% of all their imports end up getting sold in alaba or ladipo or yaba b4 going to other states. You need to look at all d factors dt contribute to d lagos port, as a whole. DT state alone has almost 20million pple living in it.

If 40% OF GOODS ARE BEEN SOLD IN ALABA AND YABA, DOES THAT MEAN THEY CAN'T DIVERSIFY?

Do we ever look at the bigger picture?
In terms of population, the southeast is bigger than most independent African nations, so that is more than enough market for their Marchants, not to talk of trade with neighboring south south.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by nkpommpko(m): 4:45pm On Feb 28, 2016
Nonsense, what is he doing about ariaria market
?
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2016
fairheven:

You guys should chill jare!

You keep talking about landlocked as if it a death sentence
SWITZERLAND is a landlocked country, and Nigerian economy can't even match up to them.
What is so special that we have archived as a country even with having a seaport?

Incase you don't know, The Suez canal is a man made port and it's far exceeds Lagos port in terms of significance and values
So what's the noise about been landlocked?

D point u just made now, is d point d person u quoted also first made: DT he doesn't understand d obsession for a seaport.

Surely there are hundreds of landlocked successful countries. Even in subsaharan africa, Botswana ranks highest on a lot of indices and is landlocked.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 28, 2016
fairheven:

If 40% OF GOODS ARE BEEN SOLD IN ALABA AND YABA, DOES THAT MEAN THEY CAN'T DIVERSIFY?

Do we ever look at the bigger picture?
In terms of population, the southeast is bigger than most independent African nations, so that is more than enough market for their Marchants, not to talk of trade with neighboring south
south.

We are clearly not having d same argument. U seem to have a chip on ur shoulder. I was explaining possible reasons why businessmen prefer d Lagos ports to the calabar port CURRENTLY.

My discussion had nothing to do wt d future or ur future trade patterns.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Ejanla07: 5:14pm On Feb 28, 2016
omonnakoda:
That is not a rational way to make decisions

Besides our people do not ask questions such as
What exactly is he building

At what cost
Where is the money coming from?

A few photographs will deceive the simple minded but there are questions that need to be asked

I really do not know whether there are no people with an understanding of geography.
Rivers are not the sea and their sources of water are limited and can dry up and do dry up. even when they do not dry up their levels vary very widely. No ships will be going to Obuaku any time soon .He should focus on what is real

I can imagine 1 -10 km of Marina along that waterfront

You 're yoruba why do you sound so pained. An industrial cluster like aba need seaport to help export...

3 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by fairheven: 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
U
janellemonae:

D point u just made now, is d point d person u quoted also first made: DT he doesn't understand d obsession for a seaport.

Surely there are hundreds of landlocked successful countries. Even in subsaharan africa, Botswana ranks highest on a lot of indices and is landlocked.

If he doesn't understand the obsession for a seaport, then that clearly is not my point.. Because I do
understand it and am in full support of it.we get obsessed until it becomes a reality.

There's a difference between saying "why should you have it and saying you cannot have it" because you are land-locked..
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by zendy: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2016
There is a big difference between being landlocked and having no access to the sea. Some people should go and find out the difference before commeeting on threads like this
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Marcelini(m): 5:41pm On Feb 28, 2016
omonnakoda:
You are being childish.
We occupy the same space and spend the same money and you are in our Lagos .
A port may develop at Obuaku but it won't be a seaport that will be with the approval of the Nigerian state only

You are obviously the childish and pained one, dying over a project that has nothing whatsoever to do with your region, just because you are driven strictly by envy and jealousy.

4 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by fairheven: 5:41pm On Feb 28, 2016
Ejanla07:

You 're yoruba why do you sound so pained. An industrial cluster like aba need seaport to help export...

Well, not really seaport, let just say a "port" because there's no sea but river. So a deep port should be fine
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Marcelini(m): 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2016
janellemonae:

Since you( Yorubas) don't understand the Igbo obsession for a sea port, I guess you lots can always close down your Lagos port and use our Obuaku port once the construction is finished, we wouldn't mind, seeing as you lots are not obsessed with Sea ports, we can do with your import duties. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 28, 2016
Marcelini:

Since you( Yorubas) don't understand the Igbo obsession for a sea port, I guess you lots can always close down your Lagos port and use our Obuaku port once the construction is finished, we wouldn't mind, seeing as you lots are not obsessed with Sea ports, we can do with your import duties. cheesy

Why are u being deliberately obtuse? I have clearly stated DT I support ur seaport. 100%. I actually hope ikpeazu gets proper support for d project cos anything is possible wt enough determination.

I dont know how yorubas issue came in here. Most are not even interested in this thread. From what I can see there are only 2 Yorubas on this thread. 1 supports this construction and the other 1 (omonakoda) was arguing dt its not feasible.

But anything is possible. I have seen ships climb mountains/hills wt waterfalls and continue their journey. True story. I watch extreme engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by LadyExcellency: 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2016
betterABIAstate:
nope, coastal lines are attributed to oceans and seas while banks are for rivers and lakes.

Those terms such as sea and river have only one difference which is not dependent on size, depth, width or any other geographical classification of large body of water.

Some Rivers are far better suited for ports than most seas.

The only difference between a sea and a river is that a river is a large body of flowing fresh water while the sea is known as a large body of flowing salt water and nothing else to differentiate the two except the type of water, one consist of fresh water while the other is salt water and both can serve same purpose if they have same depth, width, topology etc.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Biafrarep(m): 6:45pm On Feb 28, 2016
omonnakoda:
I think that if the State government wants to develop docking berths along the river they should be allowed.I opposed any dredging because of the environmental impact. I think ports should be developed it those states that are contiguous with the sea such as Rivers , Bayelsa Cross River and Akwa Ibom so this is not about Lagos as the usual paranoid mindset suggests. Let ports be developed in those places where it is obvious and rational
The other danger for allowing any dredging is a sets off a precedent if you can dredge to Abia why not to Kogi and Benue and Kwara and Niger and even Niger Republic all of which the Niger flows through.

Let us eschew sentiment. If we need Seaports we can build one in Ogun,Ondo ,Bayelsa,Rivers Cross River and Akwa Ibom .
River ports yes but dredging no .That is where I stand!!
You are ignorant! do you even know that dredging helps in preventing flood? You talk as if dredging is bad, it has its merits!!!

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Marcelini(m): 7:39pm On Feb 28, 2016
DT he doesn't understand d obsession for a seaport.

And what exactly is this supposed to mean? Please face your front, Ndiigbo don't need the help of any non Easterner ( defunct Eastern region native) to negotiate a successful seaport, they( non Easterners) don't need to understand or question our obsession with a functional sea port at the heart of Igboland in Obuaku.
Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by superstar1(m): 7:50pm On Feb 28, 2016
Biafrarep:
You are ignorant! do you even know that dredging helps in preventing flood? You talk as if dredging is bad, it has its merits!!!

Dredging prevents flooding, provided there is no dam obstruction on the water body. When the dam overflows or a sizeable volume of water is released from the dam, all habitations on that dredged river are doomed, except precautions are taken eg relocating people in the interim.

Can you remember what happened to Nigeria when Cameroon released the water in one of its dams?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Biafrarep(m): 7:52pm On Feb 28, 2016
YourMrBoo:

Why do I say this??

That's my point..

I get your point but most parts of river niger especially from Lokoja upwards is not navigable all year round in fact it literaly dries up during dry season but the Obuaku is navigable all year round & is very close to the sea unlike river niger that has rapids & falls in some sections. Obuaku is viable & feasible with determination.

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by Stanbeto: 7:56pm On Feb 28, 2016
Aba ngwa kwenu! GOD BLESS ABIA STATE

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu starts Work On Obuaku-River Port by nzeobi(m): 8:14pm On Feb 28, 2016
[are you asking your question on nairaland.
Please don't I will suggest you to the government of abia for response.
You don't seem to believe in the project but I still don't comprehend.
quote author=omonnakoda post=43326393] Rational competition is very good but how rationa is this simple questions hopefully we can get some answers

What is he building
How much will it cost
Where is the money coming from
Who are the contractors
When will construction Finish

There should be that level of transparency
When leaders start to lie to their people and they believe them there is problem.
Our constitution is clear NO ONE can build a PORT without the FG (NPA) approval. I do not recall that information being in the public domain
SO whatever he is building I very much doubt it is a Port[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Defection: Kwankwaso Must Abide By The Rule – Shekarau / What Does The Future Hold For Twitter Influencers In Nigeria? / Alex Otti Visits Ariaria Market, Orders Cessation Of Police Hostility On Traders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.