Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos (63781 Views)

Just Like Lagos Onitsha Is Also No Mans Land / What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land / Onitsha Is The ‘most Polluted’ City In The World. WHO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
Onitsha (Igbo: Ọ̀nị̀chà Mmílí[4] or just Ọ̀nị̀chà)[5] is a city, a commercial, Industrial,educational, and religious centre and river port on the eastern bank of the Niger river in Anambra State, southeastern Nigeria.

Onitsha by 2001 had an estimated population of 511,000 with a metropolitan population of 1,003,000.[2]

The majority of people in Onitsha are Igbo and speak the Igbo language however significant communities from Northern and Western Nigeria live in the city. The Onitsha people like to be referred to as Ndi Onicha.
As a city lying strategically at the bridge between Eastern Nigeria and Western Nigeria, and between the densely settled Igbo hinterland and the oil-rich creeks of the Niger Delta, Onitsha is strategically positioned as a regional hub for trade and logistics in Eastern Nigeria.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onitsha

8 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Lattop(m): 2:28pm On Apr 03, 2016
Beautiful View

13 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:32pm On Apr 03, 2016
River Niger and Onitsha port

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by sammyj: 2:34pm On Apr 03, 2016
Which port of if may ask? You people are just trying to justify the imposibility! !! grin

13 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:
Which port of if may ask? You people are just trying to justify the imposibility! !! grin
What do you mean by the impossibility?

34 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by chiefobdk(m): 2:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:

Dem Don come

10 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:40pm On Apr 03, 2016
Gate way to east

8 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by pacino26(m): 2:41pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:

Bro, I've been to Tincan Port. I've sailed the waters and to be honest Onitsha if finally given a chance will do just fine. If you're a proactive thinker then you'd know that impossibility gives rise to a new challenge. IT'S VERY POSSIBLE.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by sammyj: 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2016
Ok oooooo grin grin
pacino26:

Bro, I've been to Tincan Port. I've sailed the waters and to be honest Onitsha if finally given a chance will do just fine. If you're a proactive thinker then you'd know that impossibility gives rise to a new challenge. IT'S VERY POSSIBLE.

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by NobleAky(m): 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2016
Sentiment aside, why don't FG do something about this Onitsha seaport? It could go a long way to generate employment, increase our revenue base and open doors for foreign investment which all in integration boost our GDP. Must we play politics with everything?

Aside that one Nairalander challenged guys

rheether:
If u get more a hundred likes, I will go out on a date with you. (Distance isn't a barrier)
i take the challenge to win her E-love.

16 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by StunningCEO: 2:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
Onitsha is a satellite city of Benin....and not ibo....enough of land grabbing... angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by sammyj: 2:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
Story story story! !!! grin shocked grin
chiefobdk:

Dem Don come
Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Nobody: 2:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
NobleAky:
Sentiment aside, why don't FG do something about this Onitsha seaport? It could go a long way to generate boost our GDP.
What about the State Government? Is it not possible or a permit from the federal government is first granted?

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by sammyj: 2:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
Landlock na landlock! !! cheesy grin shocked grin grin
Reyginus:
What do you mean by the impossibility?

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
Upper Iweka in 2012

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:
Landlocked na landlocked! !! cheesy grin shocked grin grin
Landlocked? You have an Idea where the waters lead to? Or what do you mean by Landlocked as regards the river?

7 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by sammyj: 2:48pm On Apr 03, 2016
.... ok oooooo we shall see when the time comes! !!! shocked cool
Reyginus:
Landlocked? You have an Idea where the waters lead to? Or what do you mean by Landlocked as regards the river?
Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:
.... ok oooooo we shall see when the times comes! !!! shocked cool
See what? It seems you don't want it to even be possible in the first place. My question is simply what you mean by landlocked. Tell me.

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by TheArchangel(f): 2:51pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:
Why is it impossible
Nothing is impossible.
Check out the river ports located along the Amazon, Yangtze, Rhine, Seine rivers. Nigerian river port shouldn't be different if not that we are bedevilled by ethnocentric sentiments.

12 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by sammyj: 2:51pm On Apr 03, 2016
I did not say anything like that please don't misquote me!!! angry
Reyginus:
See what? It seems you don't want it to even be possible in the first place. My question is simply what you mean by landlocked. Tell me.
Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:52pm On Apr 03, 2016
Recent pix of Upper iweka

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
sammyj:
I did not say anything like that please don't misquote me!!! angry
You don't really have to say it. The things we don't say often times appear to be our true position.
Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by NobleAky(m): 2:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
Reyginus:
What about the State Government? Is it not possible or a permit from the federal government is first granted?
you answered yourself...that port is an FG property and before the State government can do something on it, it must obtain permit from the FG...which seems somehow impossible because of tribalistic politics

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by mideactive: 2:55pm On Apr 03, 2016
4 ur mind dis one na see?go 2 Ilaje ondo state den compare..dis's 4 Keno,flyin boat n cruz ship..

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:56pm On Apr 03, 2016
Onitsha biggest river port city

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 2:59pm On Apr 03, 2016
Industrial section of Onitsha

11 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Nobody: 3:01pm On Apr 03, 2016
NobleAky:
you answered yourself...that port is an FG property and before the State government can do something on it, it must obtain permit from the FG...which seems somehow impossible because of tribalistic politics
Okay. Do you know if it has been tried before?
Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by AnamCity: 3:02pm On Apr 03, 2016
post=44369847:
Industrial section of Onitsha

Upper Iweka Interchange 2016

11 Likes

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 3:03pm On Apr 03, 2016
AnamCity:

Upper Iweka Interchange 2016
Thanks
Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by NobleAky(m): 3:08pm On Apr 03, 2016
Reyginus:
Okay. Do you know if it has been tried before?
to even clean the waterways is a problem talk more of developing it. To renovate the overhead bridge that passed across it has been a problem for long.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 3:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
More from Onitsha

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onitsha Is One Of Biggest River Port City In Nigeria Photos by vayne(m): 3:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
StunningCEO:
Onitsha is a satellite city of Benin....and not ibo....enough of land grabbing... angry
If e pain you say onitsha dey igboland,break your phone!

The delta and rivers state you thieves carved out of old eastern region never abi! Identity grabbers!

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Bad Road In Sango, Ogun State: Is Your Local Government Chairman Working? / Victoria Fayose Celebrates Her Birthday, Seen With Donald Trump Lookalike In US / Tunde Idiagbon's Burial: Buhari And Babangida Pictured (Throwback Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.