Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,049 members, 7,859,773 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:35 PM

The Bible Stands - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Stands (13500 Views)

Quran Testifies To The Bible: It Says It Stands Till Eternity / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:21pm On Aug 19, 2009
Tudór:

Which bible are you talking about?
I hope you added the apochrypa books coz as far as the bible is concerend 88 books exist and not 66.

I am talking about the authorised version. Which one have you been reading?
Re: The Bible Stands by noetic2: 2:26pm On Aug 19, 2009
have u not heard of "the tudor" version? grin
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:29pm On Aug 19, 2009
noetic2:

have u not heard of "the tudor" version? grin

No wonder he (tudor) doesn't believe in it.
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:33pm On Aug 19, 2009
Here are some statistics of the authorised Bible. (and not the tudorised version) tongue

Number of books in the authorised Bible: 66

Chapters:  1,189;
Verses:  31,101;
Words:  783,137;
Letters:  3,566,480;
Longest word (name): Mahershalalhashbaz (Isa.8:1); 
Longest verse: Esther 8:9 (78 words);
Shortest verse: John 11:32 (2 words: "Jesus wept"wink;
Middle books: Micah and Nahum
Re: The Bible Stands by Tudor6(f): 2:53pm On Aug 19, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

I am talking about the authorised version. Which one have you been reading?
Authorised by who?
Show me the person that says he has the right to authorize any bible, determining which is eligible scripture and what is not.
Re: The Bible Stands by noetic2: 2:54pm On Aug 19, 2009
Tudór:

Authorised by who?
Show me the person that says he has the right to authorize any bible, determining which is eligible scripture and what is not.

when did it become ur business as to who authourizes the bible?
Re: The Bible Stands by Tudor6(f): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2009
noetic2:

when did it become ur business as to who authourizes the bible?
Err about the same time the British came to enslave my forefathers using the same "bible" undecided
Re: The Bible Stands by qblaze(m): 5:57pm On Aug 19, 2009
The Bible is an imperialist tool. Why should a white guy like King James tell me what is scriptural and what is not?
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:50am On Aug 20, 2009
Tudór:

Authorised by who?

qblaze:

The Bible is an imperialist tool. Why should a white guy like King James tell me what is scriptural and what is not?

Discover the guys who have been trying to keep the truth from you in the link below, a lot of people had to die so as to preserve this authorised Bible.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0031/0031_01.asp
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:13pm On Aug 20, 2009
Statistics of the Bible.

Middle chapter: Psalm 118

Middle verse: Psalm 118:8

Shortest book (number of words): 3 John

Shortest chapter (number of words): Psalm 117

Longest book: Psalms (150 chapters)

Longest chapter: Psalm 119 (176 verses)
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54am On Aug 24, 2009
Interpreting the Bible
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." (2 Peter 1:20-21)

One basic reason why so many people seem to have trouble understanding the Bible is that they try to "interpret" it to fit their private opinions.  The Greek word for "private" (idios) is related to such English words as "idiom" and "idiosyncrasy," and this key passage warns us against any exposition of Scripture which is based on the teacher’s pet doctrinal or behavioral prejudices.  A reader or hearer of the Word of God whose  "heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing" will be unable to "understand" (Matthew 13:15) because he comes with his mind and heart already bound to his own opinions.

The Bible does not need to be "interpreted" at all.  In every other New Testament reference to "interpretation," except the one in our text (which means "explanation" or "exposition"wink, the meaning is simply "translation."  The Bible does, of course, need to be correctly translated from Greek and Hebrew into English and other national languages, but that is all.  God is able to say what He means, and He wants to communicate His authoritative Word to men and women of obedient hearts, who are willing to devote diligent study to all the Scriptures (2 Timothy 2:15; Hebrews 5:12-14), to obey them (James 1:22), and then teach them to others (2 Timothy 2:2, 24-26) carefully, and clearly, and graciously.

To such students of the Word, the promise is: "Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God" (Proverbs 2:3-5). HMM
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
The "I am's" of Christ both in the Old and New Testaments.

http://www.icr.org/article/i-ams-christ/
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:30pm On Aug 31, 2009
The Bible's fascinating facts

"And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly" -- 2 Peter 2:5

In Genesis chapter 6, God gave Noah the dimensions of the 1.5 million cubic foot ark he was to build.  In 1609 at Hoon in Holland, a ship was built after that same pattern, revolutionizing shipbuilding.  By 1900 every large ship on the high seas was inclined towards the proportions of the ark.

(as verified by "Lloyd's Register of Shipping" in the World Almanac).
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:38am On Sep 01, 2009
The Bible, the revelation of God to humankind

The 66 books of the Bible starts from the opening verses of Genesis to the closing verses of Revelation, and this shows the evidence of heavenly authenticity. Every page is both historically and scientifically accurate. While, however, the Bible has the evidence of all this, it is not primarily a book of history, nor is it primarily a book of scientific record. Basically, it is a book of Divine revelation. The whole book is a complete revelation of God’s plan of redemption for mankind. He places it in our hands as the key which unlocks the mystery of His love, of our sin, of His justice and mercy, and of His programme of salvation for the human race.

Once we regard the Bible as a whole it begins to take on a new meaning. The Old Testament (OT) is preparatory to the New Testament (NT). The NT cannot be understood apart from the OT, neither can the OT be appreciated apart from the NT. As we read, study and prayerfully meditate on the Bible, we begin to discover that God’s way of dealing with man in the OT is but a picture of His dealing with man in the NT. Salvation for a fallen race was to be through the Man Christ Jesus from the very beginning; but before His coming, His death and resurrection, God dealt with the nation into whom Christ was to be born in the same way as He would thereafter deal with men individually through the Lord Jesus Christ. In other words, God’s dealing with Israel was a type or shadow of His dealings with you and me. As soon as we grasp this truth, the OT becomes transformed from a book of dry history and unintelligible sacrifices to a book of Divine revelation.

If you still have any doubts about the authencity of the Bible, then I leave you with the words of Charles Wesley:

"The Bible must be the invention either of good men or angels, bad men or devils, or of God. However, it was not written by good men, because good men would not tell lies by saying 'Thus saith the Lord;' it was not written by bad men because they would not write about doing good duty, while condemning sin, and themselves to hell; thus, it must be written by divine inspiration."
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:15am On Sep 01, 2009
Bible story of Samson and Delilah -- in song

Delilah - The Samson Version by Tim Hawkins

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ2KYbRVie8&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]

http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=be833e860d36c0b4fe4b
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On Sep 01, 2009
The Greatest Discovery!

Dr. James Simpson, born in 1811, was responsible for the discovery of chloroform's anaesthetic qualities, leading to its medical use worldwide.  He also laid a solid foundation for gynaecology and predicted the discovery of the X-ray.  Dr. Simpson was president of the Royal Medical Society and Royal Physician to the Queen, the highest medical position of his day.  He once stated,

"Christianity works because it is supremely true and therefore supremely livable.  There is nothing incompatible between religion and science."

And this explains Philipian 3:8 that says:

"Yes doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ."
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:22pm On Sep 04, 2009
Scientific facts in the Bible.

The Bible says,

" . . . and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passes through the paths of the seas" (Psalm 8:cool

What does the Bible mean by "paths of the seas"?  Man discovered the existence of ocean currents in the 1850's, but the Bible declared the science of oceanography 2,800 years ago.  Matthew Maury (1806-1873) is considered the father of oceanography.  He noticed the expression "paths of the seas" in Psalm 8:8.  "If God said there are paths in the sea," Maury said, "I am going to find them."  Maury took God at His Word and went looking for these paths.  We are indepted to his discovery of the warm and cold continental currents.  His book on oceanography remains a basic  text on the subject and is still used in universities.  Maury used the Bible as a guide to a scientific discovery; if only more would use the Bible as a guide in their personal lives.
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:32am On Sep 07, 2009
Scientists Who Believe

Most of the great scientists of the past who founded and developed the key disciplines of science where biblical Christians who were creationists.  Note the following sampling:

Physics:  Newton, Faraday, Maxwell, Kelvin

Chemistry: Boyle, Dalton, Pascal, Ramsay

Biology: Ray, Linnaeus, Mendel, Pasteur

Geology: Steno, Woodward, Brewster, Agassiz

Astronomy: Kepler, Galileo, Herschel, Maunder

"These men, as well as scores of others who could be mentioned, were creationists, not evolutionists, and their names are practically synonymous with the rise of modern science.  To them, the scientific enterprise was a high calling, one dedicated to "thinking God's thoughts after Him." -- A creationist and theologian, Henry Morris and Gary E. Parker, What is Creation Science?

Here is another quote from Arthur H. Compton, winner of Nobel Prize in Physics:

"Science is the glimpse of God's purpose in nature.  The very existence of the amazing world of the atom and radiation points to a purposeful creation, to the idea that there is a God and an intelligent purpose back of everything . . . An orderly universe testifies to the greatest statement ever uttered: 'In the beginning, God . . .'"

Johann Kepler: "The chief aim of all investigation of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God."

Lord Kelvin:  "With regard to the origin of life, science . . . positively affirms creative power."

Sir Isaac Newton:  "All material things seem to have been composed of the hard and solid particles above mentioned, variously associated in the first creation by the counsel of an intelligent Agent.  For it became Him who created them to set them in order.  And if He did so, it's unphilosophical to seek for any other origin of the world, or to pretend that it might arise out of a chaos by the mere laws of nature."

"An increasing number of scientists, most particularly a growing number of evolutionists . . . argue that Darwinian evolutionary theory is no genuine scientific theory at all . . . Many of the critics have the highest intellectual credentials." -- Michael Ruse, "Darwin's Theory: An Exercise in Science," New Scientist

And this is what a Jewish scientists who is obviously influenced by the Jewish Scriptures had to say:

Albert Einstein: "Science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with inspiration toward truth and understanding.  This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of Religion.  To this there also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason.  I cannot conceive of a genuine scientist without that profound faith."
Re: The Bible Stands by olabowale(m): 2:02pm On Sep 07, 2009
Olaadegbu have you heard of the intended "edit" of NIV by Darby Publication in the United States? They are doing the reupgradeing of the perfect "word" once again! Perfectly and it will not be the last time eeither. The case is like the case of the arab leadership; agree to disagree.
Re: The Bible Stands by Maykelly(f): 3:31pm On Sep 07, 2009
But if wicked people turn away from all their sins and begin to obey my decrees and do what is just and right, they will surely live and not die. Ezekiel 18:21
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:26pm On Sep 07, 2009
olabowale:

Olaadegbu have you heard of the intended "edit" of NIV by Darby Publication in the United States? They are doing the reupgradeing of the perfect "word" once again! Perfectly and it will not be the last time eeither. The case is like the case of the arab leadership; agree to disagree.

The NIV is just a translation of the perfect Word of God.  Satan might have infilterated the Bible societies, seminaries and theological classes to corrupt the Word of God through  the Jesuit conspiracies and deceived a lot of Christians but God's infallible Word will still stand. Click here http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0031/0031_01.asp to see all the fruitless efforts Satan has been employing to corrupt the Bible, all to no avail.
Re: The Bible Stands by olabowale(m): 5:33pm On Sep 07, 2009
@Oladegbu: Show us the "Untranslated" WORD of God, if you have it. Forget all the languages (translations), show us the ORIGINAL, pure and perfect, since the translations in all the languages are neither pure nor perfect! I hope that you can produce it, otherwise satan has confisticated it from your mist!
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:29pm On Sep 07, 2009
olabowale:

@Oladegbu: Show us the "Untranslated" WORD of God, if you have it. Forget all the languages (translations), show us the ORIGINAL, pure and perfect, since the translations in all the languages are neither pure nor perfect! I hope that you can produce it, otherwise satan has confisticated it from your mist!

The answer to your problem is in the link below, read it and give me your feedback, no long stories. wink

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0031/0031_01.asp
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:59pm On Sep 08, 2009
The Bible has all the answers to man's questions

God who has all the answers because He was there to observe has given us the answers not only in creation but in His Holy Word, The Bible.  The answers as to who created, what was created, how it was created, when it was created and how long it took for Him to create, and these you can see below:

1.  Who created?------------God
2.  What was created?  ----All things
3.  How was it created?--- By His Power
4.  When was it created?—In the beginning
5.  How long did it take to
     Create?------------------- 6 days

Some top and highly qualified Hebrew scholars, who are called lexigraphers wrote in the most widely recognised Hebrew lexicons and dictionaries, published in the 20th century says that the creation days written in the book of Genesis are literal days.

Below is a partial list of scientists who believe in the Bible's account of creation as is recorded in the Bible and through their professional fields have come to the scientific conclusion that confirms the Bible's account:

Danny Faulkner         Ph.D.  Astronomy
John Byl                     Ph.D.  Astronomy
Tom Greene               Ph.D.  Astronomy
James Dire                 Ph.D.  Astrophysics
Dave Harrison            Ph.D. Astrophysics
Steven Boyd               Ph.D. Hebraic and Cognitive Studies
Floyd Nolen Jones     Th.D., Ph.D.  Author of Chronology of the Old Testament
Herb Hirt                    Ph.D.  Biblical Exposition
Robert Cole                Ph.D.  Semitic languages
Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon
Georgia Purdon          Ph.D. Molecular Genetics
Duane Gish                Ph.D. Biochemistry
David Menton            Ph.D. Cell Biology
Donald Chittick          Ph.D.  Physical Chemistry
Tom Greene              Ph.D.  Astronomy
Jason Lisle                Ph.D.  Astrophysics
Russell Humphreys   Ph.D  Physics
Don DeYoung            Ph.D.  Physics
Terry Mortenson       Ph.D. History of Geology
John baumgardner   Ph.D. Geophysics
Bob Compton            Ph.D. Physiology, DVM
Andy McIntosh         Ph.D.  Combustion Theory
John Johnson           Ph.D. Mathematics
Tommy Mitchel          M.D.
Andrew Snelling       Ph.D. Geology
Emil Silvestre           Ph.D. Geology
Esther Su                 Ph.D. Biochemistry
David DeWitt           Ph.D. Neuroscience

And above all is the One who knows it all with absolute certainty and has recorded it with His own caligraphy:

God Almighty   The Ten Commandments(Exodus 20:11;God created all things by Jesus Christ. Gen.1:1; Colossians1:15-18,20; John 1:3; Ephesians 3:9; Heb.1:1-2; 11:3)

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."  Exodus 20:11

For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones or dominions or principalities or powers:  all things were created by Him, and for him.”  Colossians 1:16

Which is the strong foundation that makes our faith based on rock solid evidence.
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:42pm On Sep 08, 2009
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:35am On Sep 10, 2009
Messianic Prophecies in the Bible Fulfilled

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?  why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? -- Psalms 22:1

Jesus' words recorded in Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34 were the fulfilment of David's prophecy in Psalm 22:1 above.  Verse 3 of Psalm 22 then gives us an insight into why God forsook Jesus on the cross: "But You are holy . ."  A holy Creator cannot have fellowship with sin.  When Jesus was on the cross, the sin of the entire world was laid on Him (Isaiah 53:6; 2 Cor.5:21), only God could do this.  The Bible says God is "of purer eyes than to behold evil, and cannot look on iniquity" Habakkuk 1:13
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:42am On Sep 10, 2009
Messianic Prophecies in the Bible Fulfilled (Contd.)

The fulfilment of prophecies in the Bible is one of the proofs that the Bible's origin is extra-terrestial.  Read the whole of Psalm 22 and you will see that the Messianic prophecy was clearly fulfilled in the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth.  See John 19:28,29; Luke 23:35; and Matthew 27:35.  In Psalms 22:6-18 alone, you will see a graphic description of the Messiah on the cross.

[list]
[li]He was aware of their scorn (in verse 6-7)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He could hear the mocking words (in verse cool[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He was praying (in verses 9-13)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]The strain of crucifixion pulled His bones out of joint (verse 14)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Loss of blood made His heart feel as though it were melting (verse 14)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]His strength completely left Him (v. 15)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Thirst caused His tongue to adhere to His mouth (v. 15)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]They pierced His hands and feet (v. 16)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He could see them gambling for His clothes (v. 18)[/li]
[/list]

These Messianic allusions constitutes irrefutable testimony to the divine inspiration of the Scriptures, especially when crucifixion had not been invented, and this explains why cults and false religions will be used by Satan to fight against Christians and the Bible.
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:14pm On Oct 08, 2009

[list]
[li]He was to be of David's family -- 2 Samuel 7:12-13; Matthew 1:1[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be born of a virgin -- Isaiah 7;14; Matthew 1:23[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be born in Bethlehem -- Micah 5:2; Matthew 2:6[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would sojourn in Egypt -- Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2;15[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would minister in Galilee and in Nazareth -- Isaiah 9:1-2; Matthew 4:12-17[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be announed in advance by an Elijah-type herald -- Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1; Mark 1:2-3.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would occasion the massacre of Bethlehem's children -- Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:18.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]His mission would include the Gentiles -- Isaiah 42:6; Luke 2:32.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]His ministry would be one of healing -- Isaiah 35:5-6; Matthew 12:10; Mark 7:32-35; 10:51.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would teach through the use of parables -- Ezekiel 20:49; Matthew 13:3.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be disbelieved and rejected by the religious rulers of that period -- Psalms 118:22; Matthew 21:12-13.[/li]
[/list]

To be continued . . .
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Oct 09, 2009

[list]
[li]He would make a triumphal entry into Jerusalem -- Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:6-9[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be betrayed for thirty pieces of silver -- Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:15.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be smitten like a shepherd and His sheep scattered -- Zechariah 13:7; Matthew 26:31.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be given vinegar and gall, and they would cast lots for His garments -- Psalm 22:18; 69:21; Matt.27:34; Jn.19:23-24.[/li]
[/list]

[list]
[li]He would be pierced -- Zechariah 12:10; John 19:34.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Not a bone of His would be broken -- Exodus 14:26; Psalm 34:20; John 19:33,36.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would die among criminals -- Isaiah 53:12; Mark 15:28.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would be buried by a rich man -- Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 27:57-60.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]He would rise from the dead on the third day -- Psalm 16:10; Jonah 1:17; Luke 24:6-7.[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]His resurrection would be followed by the destruction of Jerusalem -- Daniel 9:26; Matthew 24:2.[/li]
[/list]
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:02am On Oct 11, 2009
Messianic Prophecies in the Bible Fulfilled

There are more than three hundred prophecies detailing the coming Messiah and all of them where fulfilled in the first century A.D. Let us consider some of them in details and try to estimate their mathematical probabilities as we go.

"But thou, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out ot thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting" (Micah 5:2).

This first one is familiar to most of us. There are many amazing things hidden in this verse -- not just that the Messiah will come from Bethlehem, but that He preexisted from eternity past. However, the point we want to extract here is simply that the Messiah clearly would be born in Bethlehem.

The probability of somebody being born in Bethlehem over the past two thousand years should be about 1:100,000. Taking a look at th world and start in the Middle east, then Israel, then the Jerusalem region, then south of Jerusalem into Bethlehem. We are looking for the probability that somebody we might meet over a period of 2,000 years would have been born in Bethlehem.

Using round numbers and staying conservative, let's assume that the population of Bethlehem is less than 10,000. Let us assume that the average world population at any point in time over the past two thousand years is something in the region of a billion people. So the probability that someone picked at random would be from Bethlehem is something in the region of one chance in 100,000. And that is a generous estimate.
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:46pm On Oct 26, 2009
Zechariah's Strange Prophecy

"All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass." (Matthew 21:4-5)

When Jesus rode into Jerusalem on an unbroken donkey colt on that momentous first day of the week, just a week before His resurrection, the multitudes quickly recognised that He was fulfilling an ancient prophecy and thereby specifically claiming to be their long-awaited Messiah.  The prophecy was that of Zechariah 9:9, and the people in turn began to fulfill David’s even more ancient prophecy, laying palm branches in His path, and crying out: "Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD" (Psalm 118:26).

This is one of the few events in the life of Christ that are recorded in all four gospels, though only Matthew notes it as the fulfillment of prophecy.  And what a strange prophecy it was! One would think that the anticipated King would come riding on a great white horse, ready to put down all His enemies (and indeed He shall do exactly that some day--see Revelation 19:11).

But here He comes riding on a colt, the foal of an ass, not high and mighty, but meek and lowly! Ah, but as Zechariah prophesied, He comes "just, and having salvation" (Zechariah 9:9).  And the salvation He was bringing was not deliverance from Roman subjugation, but eternal deliverance from sin and its awful wages.

These same multitudes which hailed Him soon were following their high priest in clamoring for His crucifixion. Nevertheless He someday will fulfill Zechariah’s later prophecy: "They shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him" (Zechariah 12:10).  Then, finally, indeed, "the LORD shall be king over all the earth" (Zechariah 14:9). HMM
Re: The Bible Stands by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:36pm On Oct 27, 2009
The Prophetic Christ

Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me (Psalm 40:7).

Throughout the Old Testament there are wonderful prophecies of Christ, covering His earthly life. Some of these events are listed below in chronological order.

His virgin birth: Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son (Isaiah 7:14).

His birth place: But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah . . . out of thee shall He come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting (Micah 5:2).

His humble beginning: For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him (Isaiah 53:2).

His triumphal entry: Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: He is just, and having salvation, lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass (Zechariah 9:9).

His betrayal: So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. . . . And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD (Zechariah 11:12,13).

His crucifixion: They pierced my hands and my feet. . . . they part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture (Psalm 22:16,18).

His resurrection: For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption (Psalm 16:10).

His exaltation: The Lord said unto my Lord, sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool (Psalm 110:1). NPS

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Born-again Cchristain Singles Group... / FROM FAITH TO Facts:collection Of My Thoughts, Experience & Sojourn In Religion / Qualification For Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.