Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,691 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. (51545 Views)

Man Gifts Wife New Car For Exclusively Breast-Feeding Their Baby For 6 Months / Lovely Photo Of Couple Kissing But Their Baby Does Not Show One Bit Of Interest / Man Kills Big Catfish For His Wife To Celebrate The Birth Of Their Baby Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by PresVA: 6:02pm On Mar 04, 2016
Really don't know the reason for the practice. .. However, I know many babies have hairs so difficult to comb at birth; many mothers even desire it shaved to ease pain on the baby...

Whatever though. .. shaving my baby's hair or not isn't a problem to me... All I need is a healthy growth in both mind and body....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by NLban: 6:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
[size=14pt]
OP don't tell me you are bent on promoting or defending Dada hair here. See as I do take laff you with Dada laff gringrin
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Chidoks(f): 6:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

@ the last one. Just wanted to create fun out of it na. If my pikin get this kain hair, na to begin de run go TB J. be dat na.

Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Chidoks(f): 6:08pm On Mar 04, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

@ the last one. Just wanted to create fun out of it na. If my pikin get this kain hair, na to begin de run go TB J. be dat na.

Lol, I for say...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by NLban: 6:10pm On Mar 04, 2016
PresVA:
Really don't know the reason for the practice. .. However, I know many babies have hairs so difficult to comb at birth; many mothers even desire it shaved to ease pain on the baby...

Whatever though. .. shaving my baby's hair or not isn't a problem to me... All I need is a healthy growth in both mind and body....
[size=14pt]
As simple as that.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by byvan03: 6:14pm On Mar 04, 2016
I don't believe in the first year shaving but my kid's hair started falling of naturally because of that. It took a longer period to grow back and the growth was uneven for sometime. So I had to shave others after their first birthday.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:29pm On Mar 04, 2016
byvan03:
I don't believe in the first year shaving but my kid's hair started falling of naturally because of that. It took a longer period to grow back and the growth was uneven for sometime. So I had to shave others after their first birthday.

So for how long did it take the hair to grow back normally?
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by byvan03: 6:45pm On Mar 04, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

So for how long did it take the hair to grow back normally?

I had to cut up to 4 times more for it to start growing normally. Those portions that fell of naturally refuse to grow with others until he cuts a few times more. Though before the hair started falling off, I trimmed the back and sides with scissors. I think it needed to be scraped to grow normally, which is what I did eventually.

Others never had this experience because I cut the entire thing after 1st birthday, so it won't start falling naturally.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 04, 2016
My aunties and cousins trim their kid's have before their first birthday, then shave it completely on the first birthday. They said it will enable the hair to grow evenly.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:01pm On Mar 04, 2016
byvan03:

I had to cut up to 4 times more for it to start growing normally. Those portions that fell of naturally refuse to grow with others until he cuts a few times more. Though before the hair started falling off, I trimmed the back and sides with scissors. I think it needed to be scraped to grow normally, which is what I did eventually.

Others never had this experience because I cut the entire thing after 1st birthday, so it won't start falling naturally.

Why growing up, I used to think the reason why white children's hair if different from the black is because, theirs is not shaved right from childhood.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:02pm On Mar 04, 2016
byvan03:

Why growing up, I used to think the reason why white children's hair if different from the black is because, theirs is not shaved right from childhood.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
Adaobi12:
My aunties and cousins trim their kid's have before their first birthday, then shave it completely on the first birthday. They said it will enable the hair to grow evenly.

There is this beauty in children's hair that makes me feel, it shouldn't be shaved. Maybe the hair might continue just the way the child was born.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

There is this beauty in children's hair that makes me feel, it shouldn't be shaved. Maybe the hair might continue just the way the child was born.
You need feel the pain in the voice of a child with a strong hair when the hair its been combed. Then you will have no choice but to shave that hair.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 04, 2016
BlissP:
plea with them to give u a chance of microscopic check. I will appreciate feedback on the number of lice u fetch out

My eldest daughter has dreadlocks. It's as clean as afro / short hair. She's never had lice either.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
Siena:

My eldest daughter has dreadlocks. It's as clean as afro / short hair. She's never had lice either.

Thank God you are here
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by byvan03: 5:30am On Mar 05, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

Lol, thought the same too as a kid.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by eyinjuege: 10:38am On Mar 05, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

So what will happen if you do not shave the hair? Does it harm the baby?

If you decide to shave the baby's hair, does it harm the baby?

You love seeing a full head of hair on a baby, good for you.

However that doesn't mean those that decide to shave their baby's hair have done any wrong you know.

It's nothing major.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlissP(m): 10:47am On Mar 05, 2016
Siena:

yea' we have natural & artificial dreadlocks' I am not talking of the fashion made dread". My concern is d natural dread(DaDa)" to me, it's totally absurd leaving a child's hair from birth till adult hood. Doesn't make sense@all

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Chidoks(f): 10:56am On Mar 05, 2016
byvan03:

BlackAlbino6, come and see a major reason why the hair should be shaved though not very early

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlackAlbino6(m): 12:38pm On Mar 05, 2016
eyinjuege:

If you decide to shave the baby's hair, does it harm the baby?

You love seeing a full head of hair on a baby, good for you.

However that doesn't mean those that decide to shave their baby's hair have done any wrong you know.

It's nothing major.
Ya on point
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlackAlbino6(m): 12:40pm On Mar 05, 2016
Chidoks:

BlackAlbino6, come and see a major reason why the hair should be shaved though not very early
Made some sense to me anywell
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 05, 2016
BlissP:
yea' we have natural & artificial dreadlocks' I am not talking of the fashion made dread". My concern is d natural dread(DaDa)" to me, it's totally absurd leaving a child's hair from birth till adult hood. Doesn't make sense@all

Again, my cousin has natural dreadlocks, she's had them from when she was about 18-months-old. It's clean and free of lice too.

Any hair could be dirty and smelly - afro, dreadlocks, crew cuts etc IF they're not looked after.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Onegai(f): 1:06pm On Mar 05, 2016
African hair is not hard to take care of, it's just that we are not taught about it.

Our hair is coily and dry and fragile. So if you want to care for it, give it moisture (a lot) followed by oil. Only water can moisturize, use an oil to seal in that moisture and don't comb often and use a wide-toothed comb to gently smoothen the curls first. Wet hair first and then apply either oil or shea or cocoa butter immediately and comb whilst damp, gently starting from the tips to the roots. Don't use shampoo daily because it is drying. Weave hair when it is damp, never dry. Check hair care blogs for more tips on caring for hair (Google for the Nigerian hair care blogs as they will mention products easily found here).

If you wish to cut your baby's hair for evenness, sure. But at least learn how to care for it. I went natural 4 years ago and now have hair longer than bra strap, my niece has crazy-long full hair (never cut, never relaxed and she's 10 now) and Baby E has never cried during hair grooming (unless she wanted to play with the comb).

Btw there are now a lot of businesses making organic hair and skincare products for adults and babies in Nigeria and almost all of them are women-owned. smiley they even organise meetups and one should be happening next weekend in Lagos (please Google NITC Naturals In The City).

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 5:04pm On Mar 05, 2016
My baby's hair is soooo cute.
I don't ever want to shave it.

So it really begins to fall of if you don't shave it first? embarassed
byvan03:

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by byvan03: 5:16pm On Mar 05, 2016
cococandy:

My dear that's what happened to me, his hair was so cool that I started plaiting it into puffs to reduce frequent combing. I trimmed it into punk at nine months, continued trimming only for the thing to start uprooting itself from age 2+. Never believed the cutting thing but I learnt from experience.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 05, 2016
cococandy:

Don't shave it unless you really want to.

My middle daughter and son both had thick hair from birth, especially my daughter's. They kind of grew unevenly after about 3 months, but I didn't cut their hair. By the time they were a year old, the growth evened out.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 05, 2016
cococandy:

This is your first experience at child-bearing ? shocked..chai.. and I thought you were a pro.

It starts falling off when the infant is 3 or 4 months old, but it's not compulsory you shave it off. Hair grows from the follicle, whatever shaving is done on the surface makes absolutely no difference. The baby's hair would naturally become thicker over the course of time.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by joseph1832(m): 5:27pm On Mar 05, 2016
darkenedrebel:

This is your first experience at child-bearing ? shocked..chai.. [b]and I thought you were a pro.[
/b]
It starts falling off when the infant is 3 or 4 months old, but it's not compulsory you shave it off. Hair grows from the follicle, whatever shaving is done on the surface makes absolutely no difference. The baby's hair would naturally become thicker over the course of time.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by byvan03: 5:28pm On Mar 05, 2016
Cococandy the best thing is to leave the hair and see how it goes. Nothing anyone says would have made me shave him completely if it didn't start falling.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 05, 2016
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Onegai(f): 6:43pm On Mar 05, 2016
cococandy:

It will fall off (shedding) due to several reasons (cradle cap being one of them, certain compounds in the hair shaft being another). Cutting it doesn't add or detract or send any message to the hair follicles. That was what I was made to understand by 2 consultant pediatricians and a clinical dermatologists. But that's just what I was told, it's a choice you have to make.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 6:53pm On Mar 05, 2016
darkenedrebel:

This is your first experience at child-bearing ? shocked..chai.. and I thought you were a pro.

why did you think that? grin

Funny you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'I'm Childless! But, My Landlady Is Pregnant For My Husband!' / Homeless Man And Wife Get Help From Twitter As They Go Viral / Is My Wife Cheating On Me??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.