Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. (51541 Views)

Man Gifts Wife New Car For Exclusively Breast-Feeding Their Baby For 6 Months / Lovely Photo Of Couple Kissing But Their Baby Does Not Show One Bit Of Interest / Man Kills Big Catfish For His Wife To Celebrate The Birth Of Their Baby Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 6:54pm On Mar 05, 2016
Noted.

Thanks guys
Onegai:

It will fall off (shedding) due to several reasons (cradle cap being one of them, certain compounds in the hair shaft being another). Cutting it doesn't add or detract or send any message to the hair follicles. That was what I was made to understand by 2 consultant pediatricians and a clinical dermatologists. But that's just what I was told, it's a choice you have to make.
byvan03:
Cococandy the best thing is to leave the hair and see how it goes. Nothing anyone says would have made me shave him completely if it didn't start falling.
Siena:

Don't shave it unless you really want to.
My middle daughter and son both had thick hair from birth, especially my daughter's. They kind of grew unevenly after about 3 months, but I didn't cut their hair. By the time they were a year old, the growth evened out.
byvan03:

My dear that's what happened to me, his hair was so cool that I started plaiting it into puffs to reduce frequent combing. I trimmed it into punk at nine months, continued trimming only for the thing to start uprooting itself from age 2+. Never believed the cutting thing but I learnt from experience.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 05, 2016
cococandy:
why did you think that? grin

Funny you.

It's the family section stereotype. It's the unofficial old people's home of Nairaland. How can you not know? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2016
darkenedrebel:

It's the family section stereotype. It's the unofficial old people's home of Nairaland. How can you not know? grin
that's why you thought I was 39 yrs old?
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 05, 2016
cococandy:
that's why you thought I was 39 yrs old?

Exactly!.
I can see the picture more clearly now. I should have known. At age 39, most marriages would have become a bit banal - I doubt many women that fall in that age-grade would put up anything about their hubbies on social media(I'm not spoilt, my hubby just loves me)

You are obviously newly wed & still fresh out of the oven....probably did family planning for 2 years and somewhere around 28 years old judging from the looks of your hands in the photo where you were holding the glock..... sorry, not glock.... whatever gun it was sha grin
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 10:31pm On Mar 05, 2016
See analysis!!!

Well you're almost correct.

28? Not yet.
Keep guessing. almost there. cheesy
darkenedrebel:

Exactly!.
I can see the picture more clearly now. I should have known. At age 39, most marriages would have become a bit banal - I doubt many women that fall in that age-grade would put up anything about their hubbies on social media(I'm not spoilt, my hubby just loves me)

You are obviously newly wed & still fresh out of the oven....probably did family planning for 2 years and somewhere around 28 years old judging from the looks of your hands in the photo where you were holding the glock..... sorry, not glock.... whatever gun it was sha grin
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by mission08: 12:47am On Mar 06, 2016
I have 2 girls and they are blessed with wonderfully nice and even hair at birth. So curly, soft and long so I don't have any reason to cut their hair. My first girl is 3 years now and her hair is still very full and long. She receives commendations every now and then.

I was also told to cut their hair, the reason I was given was that with that maiden hair, whatever they say will come to pass. Really I need another convincing reason jare. Thanking God for such hair till tomorrow....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Bluffly: 12:21am On Mar 07, 2016
BlissP:
It's not hygienic leaving d first hair' remember the content in the vacuum the baby stayed before hiting mother earth. My opinion, I think it's healthy enough to shave off the first hair irrespective of religion.
Should we shave of the skin too.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Bluffly: 12:25am On Mar 07, 2016
Adaobi12:
You need feel the pain in the voice of a child with a strong hair when the hair its been combed. Then you will have no choice but to shave that hair.
There is no pain if the hair is damp and the right comb used

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlissP(m): 11:02am On Mar 07, 2016
Bluffly:

Should we shave of the skin too.
Lolz'. Sure, they call it circumcision. cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Bluffly: 11:09am On Mar 07, 2016
BlissP:
Lolz'. Sure, they call it circumcision. cheesy
Circumcision na for private private. I mean the entire skin because it was in the vaccum.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by BlissP(m): 11:27am On Mar 07, 2016
Bluffly:

Circumcision na for private private. I mean the entire skin because it was in the vaccum.
u go need to bleach d child body grin". Tura soap

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
cococandy:
See analysis!!!

Well you're almost correct.

28? Not yet.
Keep guessing. almost there. cheesy

Good afternoon/evening... It's 2:53pm here.

You are a score and five. I'm tired of analysing cheesy

What exams are you sitting for?, I saw something of that sort 2 days ago in my followers feed.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Good afternoon/evening... It's 2:53pm here.

You are a score and five. I'm tired of analysing cheesy

What exams are you sitting for?, I saw something of that sort 2 days ago in my followers feed.
+1

School exams. Good old university exams.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 07, 2016
cococandy:

+1

Coded things grin

cococandy:

School exams. Good old university exams.

You're a little bit slow, don't you think? lipsrsealed
Unless, it's medicine or one of those 6-year courses?.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 10:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Coded things grin

You're a little bit slow, don't you think? lipsrsealed
Unless, it's medicine or one of those 6-year courses?.
embarassed

I no sabi book.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2016
cococandy:
embarassed

I no sabi book.

lol. You no sabi book but you sabi use wayo tactics evade questions. If you kon sabi book nko?. e mean say you go be Stephen Hawking or Zechariah Sitchin.
It must be hard sha, milking & catering for your baby amidst studying. May god see you through, and I wish you good luck in your exams.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 10:37pm On Mar 07, 2016
darkenedrebel:

lol. You no sabi book but you sabi use wayo tactics evade questions. If you kon sabi book nko?. e mean say you go be Stephen Hawking or Zechariah Sitchin.
It must be hard sha, milking & catering for your baby amidst studying. May god see you through, and I wish you good luck in your exams.
I'm just messing with you.
Got my first degree years ago.
This is another one.

Thank you very much for the good wishes.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Mar 07, 2016
cococandy:

I'm just messing with you.
Got my first degree years ago.
This is another one

I knew you were, I was just playing along.
Masters degree tor bad.

cococandy post =43571756:

Thank you very much for the good wishes.

You're welcome. I equally have course tests to face next week.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by cococandy(f): 10:55pm On Mar 07, 2016
Good luck!
darkenedrebel:

I knew you were, I was just playing along.
Masters degree tor bad.

You're welcome. I equally have course tests to face next week.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by blesoh(f): 11:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
I shave my kids after 1yr cos they won't let me make or comb the hair. My second daughter had so much hair that my husband warned never to cut it off. We later shave it after a 1yr cos the whole neighbourhood will hear us when trying to comb the hair.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by peace92: 9:27am On Mar 08, 2016
Don't mind dem dey believe d first hair won't be strong for plating of all dese hairstyles
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Avatarmodest(m): 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2017
Chidoks:
Samson and his likes were 'special'
so we are not special abi? I HAIL OOO!

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by beybianca65: 1:20pm On Oct 08, 2017
Op you Sabi copy, edit and paste sha
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by beybianca65: 1:27pm On Oct 08, 2017
beybianca65:
Op you Sabi copy, edit and paste sha
About a week ago, my husband, his close business partner and I visited our accountant. While my husband and his partner were inside our accountant’s office, I decided to slip out for a bit as my 1-year-old daughter was starting to get a tad fussy and I didn’t want her disturbing the important meeting. Anyway, as I rocked my baby, trying to make her go to sleep, a couple walked past me only to stop to turn towards me with friendly grins on their faces. I, of course, smiled back thinking they were smiling at me because of my baby (she’s a stunning little thing and I’ve had many people stop me at malls and grocery stores, telling me just that; it’s super sweet). However, turns out that the couple were very dear friends of my husband’s business partner and they were visiting the city for a few days. And, for some reason, they knew about me and recognized me instantly. We then struck up a small conversation and by now, my daughter was wide awake and alert, as she stared at the young couple, with her gorgeous curious eyes. The wife, whom I will refer to as “Sania,” then asked me whether she could hold my daughter. As I handed her over, this is how the conversation went:

Sania: “Wow, look at all that beautiful, curly hair! I hardly see babies with hair this gorgeous and thick.”

Me: “Yes, I know! Her hair is stunning. Would you believe that that is her birth hair?”

Upon hearing that, Sania’s jaw literally dropped open in shock.

Sania: “OMG! Nooooo! NO WAY! You never shaved her head?!!”

Me: “Nope. Never. And Never will.”

Sania: “No, but…but…but, you HAVE to! It’s a must! All newborn babies’ head MUST be shaved as soon as they are born so that they would grow new, clean and healthy hair that will be thicker and prettier.”

Me: *Laughing* “Um, well, look at her hair!” *I reached out and touched my daughter’s beautiful long, curling silky hair* “Can you tell me honestly that IF I shave her head now, she will grow hair far more superior than this? Her hair is already pretty. It really can’t get any prettier than this.”

Sania: “No, no it WILL. Trust me! My niece had very thin hair when she was a newborn. And then her parents shaved her head and now she has really silky, beautiful thick hair. Really, you should shave her head so that she, too, will grow hair even better than this. It’s a must!”

The discussion about shaving my baby’s hair continued on for a few more minutes, until my husband and his partner came out of the office, and I breathed a sigh of relief as the said topic was diverted to something else. I was especially glad that I didn’t have to stand there anymore, uncomfortably, and explain why I haven’t shaved my daughter’s head, despite it being religiously or culturally obligatory, without having to hurt this really nice woman’s feelings. I mean, I’d just met her and her kind husband, and I just didn’t want to come off too headstrong over something that they clearly had very strong sentiments over. And that’s fine. Everyone is entitled to their own actions and preferences. I just choose not to go with the cultural/religious norm of shaving my baby’s head and I will explain why as this post progresses.

It appears that in numerous cultures (and religions) around the world, head-shaving of newborn babies is quite common; from China to India (and the surrounding South-and Central-Asian countries) to Mongolia to Africa. And while in some parts of the world, especially in Muslim-majority ones, shaving of a baby’s head is Sunnah, in other places it is culturally practiced and even seen as a rite of passage.

Nevertheless, the reason I never shaved my daughter’s head was because, firstly, for me, it held no significance. None, whatsoever. And secondly, my daughter was born with a crown full of beautiful, very silky, thick jet black hair. (See picture below.)

20130815_222652

In fact, her hair was so gorgeous that all the nurses and the doctors at the hospital kept telling me how they’ve never seen a baby with that much beautiful hair; it was so surreal and incredible. However, despite the superficial and lack of significance aspect of refusing to shave my baby’s head, both my husband and I also didn’t see the logic behind it. We also rejected the claim that shaving a baby’s head would result in the hair growing back thicker and healthier — a myth that desperately needs to be debunked because hair grows from a follicle beneath the surface of the scalp. So, what we do to the hair on the outside, or the surface, has no effect on the hair that is developing on the follicle. Also, it’s common — very common actually — for babies to lose some or perhaps even all of their birth hair by the time they are around 4 or 5 months old. I know this because I noticed my daughter shedding a lot of hair in her bassinet when she slept at night. I also know this because around 4-5 months of age, my daughter’s hair texture and colour began to change drastically. From being ultra straight, cotton-like and jet black, my daughter’s hair had suddenly become curlier, silky and lighter in texture and tone. To put it simply, my daughter’s hair, without my having to shave her head, had become even more gorgeous than ever. And, now when you see her hair, it looks nothing like when she was born. Mind you, we did occasionally trim her hair, mostly her bangs, because they would keep falling in her eyes and would bother her, and trimming your baby’s hair might actually make it appear thicker, just like ours does when we get a trim. This is because we get rid of the excess split ends and the unhealthy hair at the bottom, which makes room for new and much more healthy hair growth. But, yes, other than trimming, we’ve never touched our daughter’s hair so as not to ruin it. And never will, unless she wants a nice, trendy hair-cut, of course.

Thus, many people need to understand that head-shaving does not contribute to hair growing back thicker or healthier, because whether we shave, trim, or brush our baby’s hair a hundred strokes a day, it really won’t affect how it grows in. That’s up to genetics. Genes decide the colour and texture of our hair, not shaving.

It just annoys me when people tell me that when a baby is born, their hair wasn’t as nice or thick and then when they shaved their head, it grew back thicker and nicer. No. What happens is that when a baby is born, people end up shaving the head a few days after the baby is born; they get rid of hair that the baby will eventually lose or shed in a few months anyway. So, what people need to realize is that by shaving, they speed up the process of the “nicer hair” growing in, which explains why some babies remain bald for a little while, shortly after they’ve been shaved. There is a time when new, healthier and prettier hair will grow in. It doesn’t happen right away. So, shortly after a newborn is shaved, s/he remains bald for several months, save for a few wisps, until the new scheduled hair is supposed to come in. And, that is exactly what happened to my daughter. She had her birth hair for a few months, until she managed to shed all, or most, of it and around the 5 month mark, her new hair grew in, which is the beautiful hair that we see now. (See picture below.)

pretty hair
However, I understand why some people feel the need to shave their baby’s head, especially if they see that their baby’s head has developed a bald patch or that his/her hair is growing unevenly. But, to shave a baby’s head, just for the sake of believing it to grow back “thicker and healthier” is just silly and nonsensical.

Also, I should have added that another reason why some people choose to get rid of their baby’s birth hair is because of the fact that it was permeated in blood and amniotic fluid. And, believe it or not, but I actually knew of someone who said that she found birth hair “disgusting” and “unhygienic” and that the sooner we shaved it all off, the better it was for the baby. Mind you, at the time of this conversation, I didn’t have kids (or a kid) yet; heck, I wasn’t even married even. And, yet, what this girl had said sounded crass and quite insolent. How dare she make the assumption that baby hair that was floating in amniotic fluid is disgusting? I couldn’t help wondering, at the time. I mean babies, too, live and float in amniotic fluid for nine whole months, so how come we don’t find them gross or disgusting? You see the lack of logic in this insensitive argument, dear reader? We all know that as soon as babies are born, the nurses quickly wash and bathe them, ensuring that any or all signs of blood and the fluid has been cleansed away, leaving the baby smelling beautiful and fresh. From their hair to their skin to pretty much everything, newborn baby smell is absolutely wonderful. Those who’ve had or been around newborn babies know exactly what smell I am talking about. The smell barely lasts two weeks, but it’s the type of smell that you become addicted to and long for. And there is absolutely nothing gross or disgusting about a newborn’s hair, just like there is nothing gross or disgusting about your baby having lived in amniotic fluid. So, let’s not be like that person I knew, back in undergrad, and say/assume something that is so obtuse and thoughtless.

However, at the same time, while many people are huge fans of shaving their baby’s head right after birth, for whatever reason it may be, they have to be extremely careful, as the baby’s head is very delicate and sensitive, and they will need to go to an expert to do the shaving. Otherwise, if people use a simple razor, they fall at the risk of cutting off a layer of skin containing hair follicles, which may result in the baby being bald for a very long time — perhaps as long as 2 or 3 years of age. So, not only is shaving a newborn’s head, in my humble opinion, illogical but it is very dangerous and risky as well.

Anyway, my point in writing this blog post is this: To each his or her own. If you want to shave your baby’s head, because it holds significant meaning for you. Good. Go right ahead. However, please, please for the love of science, adorable babies, and pretty shiny things, do not force and tell other people to do the same thing, especially if they don’t hold the same values or sentiments as you when it comes to baby head-shaving. It should, and needs to, be a personal thing. Limited to personal preference only.

So, no matter how much someone tells me, or anyone else who is against the whole head-shaving idea, to shave our babies’ head, we won’t. We won’t do it. And there is nothing such people could possibly tell us that will change our minds on the matter. Nothing at all.

Live and let live, people! �
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by purelight: 9:35pm On Mar 13, 2018
beybianca65:
About a week ago, my husband, his close business partner and I visited our accountant. While my husband and his partner were inside our accountant’s office, I decided to slip out for a bit as my 1-year-old daughter was starting to get a tad fussy and I didn’t want her disturbing the important meeting. Anyway, as I rocked my baby, trying to make her go to sleep, a couple walked past me only to stop to turn towards me with friendly grins on their faces. I, of course, smiled back thinking they were smiling at me because of my baby (she’s a stunning little thing and I’ve had many people stop me at malls and grocery stores, telling me just that; it’s super sweet). However, turns out that the couple were very dear friends of my husband’s business partner and they were visiting the city for a few days. And, for some reason, they knew about me and recognized me instantly. We then struck up a small conversation and by now, my daughter was wide awake and alert, as she stared at the young couple, with her gorgeous curious eyes. The wife, whom I will refer to as “Sania,” then asked me whether she could hold my daughter. As I handed her over, this is how the conversation went:

Sania: “Wow, look at all that beautiful, curly hair! I hardly see babies with hair this gorgeous and thick.”

Me: “Yes, I know! Her hair is stunning. Would you believe that that is her birth hair?”

Upon hearing that, Sania’s jaw literally dropped open in shock.

Sania: “OMG! Nooooo! NO WAY! You never shaved her head?!!”

Me: “Nope. Never. And Never will.”

Sania: “No, but…but…but, you HAVE to! It’s a must! All newborn babies’ head MUST be shaved as soon as they are born so that they would grow new, clean and healthy hair that will be thicker and prettier.”

Me: *Laughing* “Um, well, look at her hair!” *I reached out and touched my daughter’s beautiful long, curling silky hair* “Can you tell me honestly that IF I shave her head now, she will grow hair far more superior than this? Her hair is already pretty. It really can’t get any prettier than this.”

Sania: “No, no it WILL. Trust me! My niece had very thin hair when she was a newborn. And then her parents shaved her head and now she has really silky, beautiful thick hair. Really, you should shave her head so that she, too, will grow hair even better than this. It’s a must!”

The discussion about shaving my baby’s hair continued on for a few more minutes, until my husband and his partner came out of the office, and I breathed a sigh of relief as the said topic was diverted to something else. I was especially glad that I didn’t have to stand there anymore, uncomfortably, and explain why I haven’t shaved my daughter’s head, despite it being religiously or culturally obligatory, without having to hurt this really nice woman’s feelings. I mean, I’d just met her and her kind husband, and I just didn’t want to come off too headstrong over something that they clearly had very strong sentiments over. And that’s fine. Everyone is entitled to their own actions and preferences. I just choose not to go with the cultural/religious norm of shaving my baby’s head and I will explain why as this post progresses.

It appears that in numerous cultures (and religions) around the world, head-shaving of newborn babies is quite common; from China to India (and the surrounding South-and Central-Asian countries) to Mongolia to Africa. And while in some parts of the world, especially in Muslim-majority ones, shaving of a baby’s head is Sunnah, in other places it is culturally practiced and even seen as a rite of passage.

Nevertheless, the reason I never shaved my daughter’s head was because, firstly, for me, it held no significance. None, whatsoever. And secondly, my daughter was born with a crown full of beautiful, very silky, thick jet black hair. (See picture below.)

20130815_222652

In fact, her hair was so gorgeous that all the nurses and the doctors at the hospital kept telling me how they’ve never seen a baby with that much beautiful hair; it was so surreal and incredible. However, despite the superficial and lack of significance aspect of refusing to shave my baby’s head, both my husband and I also didn’t see the logic behind it. We also rejected the claim that shaving a baby’s head would result in the hair growing back thicker and healthier — a myth that desperately needs to be debunked because hair grows from a follicle beneath the surface of the scalp. So, what we do to the hair on the outside, or the surface, has no effect on the hair that is developing on the follicle. Also, it’s common — very common actually — for babies to lose some or perhaps even all of their birth hair by the time they are around 4 or 5 months old. I know this because I noticed my daughter shedding a lot of hair in her bassinet when she slept at night. I also know this because around 4-5 months of age, my daughter’s hair texture and colour began to change drastically. From being ultra straight, cotton-like and jet black, my daughter’s hair had suddenly become curlier, silky and lighter in texture and tone. To put it simply, my daughter’s hair, without my having to shave her head, had become even more gorgeous than ever. And, now when you see her hair, it looks nothing like when she was born. Mind you, we did occasionally trim her hair, mostly her bangs, because they would keep falling in her eyes and would bother her, and trimming your baby’s hair might actually make it appear thicker, just like ours does when we get a trim. This is because we get rid of the excess split ends and the unhealthy hair at the bottom, which makes room for new and much more healthy hair growth. But, yes, other than trimming, we’ve never touched our daughter’s hair so as not to ruin it. And never will, unless she wants a nice, trendy hair-cut, of course.

Thus, many people need to understand that head-shaving does not contribute to hair growing back thicker or healthier, because whether we shave, trim, or brush our baby’s hair a hundred strokes a day, it really won’t affect how it grows in. That’s up to genetics. Genes decide the colour and texture of our hair, not shaving.

It just annoys me when people tell me that when a baby is born, their hair wasn’t as nice or thick and then when they shaved their head, it grew back thicker and nicer. No. What happens is that when a baby is born, people end up shaving the head a few days after the baby is born; they get rid of hair that the baby will eventually lose or shed in a few months anyway. So, what people need to realize is that by shaving, they speed up the process of the “nicer hair” growing in, which explains why some babies remain bald for a little while, shortly after they’ve been shaved. There is a time when new, healthier and prettier hair will grow in. It doesn’t happen right away. So, shortly after a newborn is shaved, s/he remains bald for several months, save for a few wisps, until the new scheduled hair is supposed to come in. And, that is exactly what happened to my daughter. She had her birth hair for a few months, until she managed to shed all, or most, of it and around the 5 month mark, her new hair grew in, which is the beautiful hair that we see now. (See picture below.)

pretty hair
However, I understand why some people feel the need to shave their baby’s head, especially if they see that their baby’s head has developed a bald patch or that his/her hair is growing unevenly. But, to shave a baby’s head, just for the sake of believing it to grow back “thicker and healthier” is just silly and nonsensical.

Also, I should have added that another reason why some people choose to get rid of their baby’s birth hair is because of the fact that it was permeated in blood and amniotic fluid. And, believe it or not, but I actually knew of someone who said that she found birth hair “disgusting” and “unhygienic” and that the sooner we shaved it all off, the better it was for the baby. Mind you, at the time of this conversation, I didn’t have kids (or a kid) yet; heck, I wasn’t even married even. And, yet, what this girl had said sounded crass and quite insolent. How dare she make the assumption that baby hair that was floating in amniotic fluid is disgusting? I couldn’t help wondering, at the time. I mean babies, too, live and float in amniotic fluid for nine whole months, so how come we don’t find them gross or disgusting? You see the lack of logic in this insensitive argument, dear reader? We all know that as soon as babies are born, the nurses quickly wash and bathe them, ensuring that any or all signs of blood and the fluid has been cleansed away, leaving the baby smelling beautiful and fresh. From their hair to their skin to pretty much everything, newborn baby smell is absolutely wonderful. Those who’ve had or been around newborn babies know exactly what smell I am talking about. The smell barely lasts two weeks, but it’s the type of smell that you become addicted to and long for. And there is absolutely nothing gross or disgusting about a newborn’s hair, just like there is nothing gross or disgusting about your baby having lived in amniotic fluid. So, let’s not be like that person I knew, back in undergrad, and say/assume something that is so obtuse and thoughtless.

However, at the same time, while many people are huge fans of shaving their baby’s head right after birth, for whatever reason it may be, they have to be extremely careful, as the baby’s head is very delicate and sensitive, and they will need to go to an expert to do the shaving. Otherwise, if people use a simple razor, they fall at the risk of cutting off a layer of skin containing hair follicles, which may result in the baby being bald for a very long time — perhaps as long as 2 or 3 years of age. So, not only is shaving a newborn’s head, in my humble opinion, illogical but it is very dangerous and risky as well.

Anyway, my point in writing this blog post is this: To each his or her own. If you want to shave your baby’s head, because it holds significant meaning for you. Good. Go right ahead. However, please, please for the love of science, adorable babies, and pretty shiny things, do not force and tell other people to do the same thing, especially if they don’t hold the same values or sentiments as you when it comes to baby head-shaving. It should, and needs to, be a personal thing. Limited to personal preference only.

So, no matter how much someone tells me, or anyone else who is against the whole head-shaving idea, to shave our babies’ head, we won’t. We won’t do it. And there is nothing such people could possibly tell us that will change our minds on the matter. Nothing at all.

Live and let live, people! �

I don't get why in the African community they think it's alright to shave a baby's head. the hair usually starts out curly or straight but not after shaved! My hair started out curly but after it was shaved it turned nappy. Imagine if no one in our race ever did it. We would have an even better reputation and kids with long hair. This has to stop.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by purelight: 11:09pm On Mar 13, 2018
I don't get why in the African community they think it's alright to shave a baby's head. the hair usually starts out curly or straight but not after shaved! My hair started out curly but after it was shaved it turned nappy. Imagine if no one in our race ever did it. We would have an even better reputation and kids with long hair. This has to stop.
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by Nobody: 4:50am On Mar 14, 2018
BlackAlbino6:

Why must people shave such beariful hair, are we this wicked

so you think it's wickedness that makes mothers shave their baby's first hair undecided
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by brainhgeek(m): 5:05am On Mar 14, 2018
terzurum5:

What about [b]Sampson in the Bible and even the Dada children(most of whom we are told, their hair must be cut if and only if the parents meet the request of the child) we have around whose hair were not shaved. How come most of them grow well without any problem.[/b]
Samson
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by YoungKeem(m): 5:12am On Mar 14, 2018
It’s not bad. My brother did not let them cut his daughter’s own too. That’s a 7 months old baby.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by vuc1(m): 5:24am On Mar 14, 2018
Our parents are wise. They're simply getting the baby prepared for the abnormalities and craze that is everywhere in this country. It's just like rooting your phone to enable it perform some extra tasks . Naija hard no oyinbo hair effizy that's why they have to scrape it so that the baby will immediately start feeling the harshness of their new world. grin
Re: Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. by donnie(m): 5:26am On Mar 14, 2018
acenazt:
No body. I repeat NO BODY WILL SHAVE MY KID'S HAIR.

Ah easy...take it easy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'I'm Childless! But, My Landlady Is Pregnant For My Husband!' / Homeless Man And Wife Get Help From Twitter As They Go Viral / Is My Wife Cheating On Me??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.