Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know (52737 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? / Sam Omatseye: "Nigerian Christians Should Arm Themselves Against Attacks" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by herald9: 11:40am On Mar 06, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
Holy Ghost - A$AP ROCKY
Thanks.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Manred0(m): 11:42am On Mar 06, 2016
Christianity, most especially in Naija had been turn to a joke religion
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Dinobi77: 11:43am On Mar 06, 2016
My brother, they bowing down with their heads to the earth didnt mean its the prescribed mode of worshipping God. I can bow down n worship God too as a Christian, n it wasnt recorded that they washed any part of the body b4 bowing down. Say what u know
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 06, 2016
herald9:

Thanks.
you welcome bruv
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by God2man(m): 11:45am On Mar 06, 2016
Not completely true.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by mrbillz(m): 11:51am On Mar 06, 2016
This is killing the world and not only christianity...
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Silent104: 11:55am On Mar 06, 2016
TruthHurts1:

If you like you can follow MuhamMAD and his 9 wives and sex slaves. I have chosen Jesus and HE gives me peace, joy and tranquility. That is more than enough for me.
Sex slaves? Where re u guys readin all these 4rm? D way u guys think & d way u hear & blieve things is embarrassing & hypocritical
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by angiography(m): 11:59am On Mar 06, 2016
All I see are people trying to give excuse for not referring the church.

I pray y'all know Christ in d beauty of His glory.

as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by micca: 12:00pm On Mar 06, 2016
[quote author=NJPot post=43522891][img]http://4.bp..com/-s-HudAZnhb8/VjM4mdOh7PI/AAAAAAAACcw/v7AqtViCzEA/s640/kill%2Byour%2Benemies.jpeg[/img]

2000 years ago, a new way of life was born. A way of agape love, simplicity, righteousness and truth. A way of imitating Jesus Christ who suffered to redeem mankind from the power of death. A way of life introduced to us by unselfish missionaries from Europe. This way of life which is called Christianity today is under treat in Nigeria. It is gradually losing it’s value and taste as a result of some negative attitudes of the believers. Let me quickly identify 10 ways Nigerian Christians are killing Christianity but don’t know.

1. False Prophesy: Simply put, any prophesy that did not eventually come to pass is a false prophesy. Many Christian leaders in the country are fond of making predictions out of their own imaginations or dreams claiming they were revelations from God. Failure of such prophesies makes caricature of Christianity.

2. Hypocrisy: This is the worst killer. Majority of Nigerian Christians are hypocrites. Some pastors, reverend fathers, bishops and so on give sound preaching but don’t live by their words. They do opposite of what they preach. Also, our Christian politicians are not Christ-like in their leadership. How can a Christian governor owe workers and pensioners for over six months even after the federal government has released bailout funds. They still go to church on Sundays to raise their hands up in praise and worship. Church ceiling fan will cut off such hands one day.

3. Mixing Christianity with paganism: Reading Zodiac signs, osu caste system, animal and human sacrifices and other superstitious practices are still rampant despite the numerous churches in the nooks and crannies of the country. Some Christians would even go to any length to defend such practices in the name of preserving their culture and tradition. What about Christians including pastors who patronize native doctors? Some use charms to perform signs and wonders and to win souls for their churches. Some belong to occult societies and still go to church. It is very common in Nigeria to see someone who is both a member of a Christian denomination and Ogboni confraternity or any other evil cult. This is destroying the Christian faith.

4. 'Men of God' milking their shepherds while living ostentatiously: Our pastors are cruising expensive cars, acquiring private jets and living in multimillion naira mansions while majority of their followers live in poverty. No wonder they lay too much emphasis on paying of tithes and seed sowing. They lick the asses of corrupt politicians instead of telling them the truth point-blank. This lifestyle is gradually killing the credibility of the Christian faith.
5. Fornication receiving little or no condemnation compared to other sexual sins: Sometimes I wonder if gays and lesbians will go to a hotter part of hell fire than fornicators and adulterers. Boyfriend and girlfriend relationship is on the increase among the Christian youths. Baby mamas are now celebrated. Pre-marital sex is no longer viewed as a taboo. It is very common to hear of a Christian thanking God for delivering him from the spirit of masturbation while the person is still a fornicator. This is self-deception and a distortion of Christianity which strictly condemns all sexual immoralities.

6. Praying and wishing evil for their enemies: Christ, who Christians claim to follow, taught them to love and pray for their enemies. On the contrary, Nigerian Christians hate and pray for the death of their enemies. “Die by fire”, “holy ghost fire them” and so on are common prayers in many churches today. Judging our enemies and wishing them dead is fake Christianity.

7. Lack of charity: When last as a Christian did you help the poor or someone in need without looking for something in return? Many Christians show less concern for the less privileged. They show more interest in tithing and seed sowing for their progress forgetting that agape love is the most important thing in the Christian faith.

8. Associating God with prosperity: Nowadays, if you are rich, it means that God is with you. Poverty is seen as a curse. Most churches now preach prosperity more than salvation. The rich are being
Point number 6 he said suffer d wicked 4 dem not 2 live
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by salegella: 12:00pm On Mar 06, 2016
Horlufemi:

Islam is worse. Fundamental Islam is an affront to humanity.
What is this pagan saying. Did you come back from the club that you usually attend on sundays to only clap, dance and sing?
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by TruthHurts1(m): 12:03pm On Mar 06, 2016
Silent104:

Sex slaves? Where re u guys readin all these 4rm? D way u guys think & d way u hear & blieve things is embarrassing & hypocritical

Muhammad was married to thirteen women, including eleven at one time. He relegated them to either consecutive days or (according to some accounts) all in one night. He had sex with a 9-year-old girl and married his adopted son's wife (after arranging a quick divorce). On top of that, Muhammad had a multitude of slave girls and concubines with whom he had sex - sometimes on the very days in which they watched their husbands and fathers die at the hands of his army.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran/muhammads-sex-life.aspx
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by dumodust(m): 12:08pm On Mar 06, 2016
RoyalBoutique:
Leave catholics out of this.

It's all these new generation churches with "pastors" and "men of god" that do that.

Catholics no get time for long thing, always straight to the point.

Have never been a fan of the fanatical unorthodox churches but truth be told, the catholic church, its clergy and adherents have been at the forefront of segregation, sorrow, utter disappointment and division in their families, marriages etc and it even spills into politics... it is an appalling trend and I wonder whether just doctrine exist in the bible that your must discriminate against non-catholics, not marry them ... to stretch it further, if you marry, they will want you to marry in their church or summarily enslave your kids to their church...
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 06, 2016
kimond101:
11. Not worshipping God the way the Bible prescribed

Nehemiah 8New International Version (NIV)

1 all the people came together as one in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the teacher of the Law to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

4 Ezra the teacher of the Law stood on a high wooden platform built for the occasion. Beside him on his right stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah and Maaseiah; and on his left were Pedaiah, Mishael, Malkijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah and Meshullam.

5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, “Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground.

7 The Levites—Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan and Pelaiah—instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there. 8 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear[a] and giving the meaning so that the people understood what was being read.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every prophets mentioned in the monotheistic religions used this Way of saying thanks or praying to GOD, the postures use is also beneficial when you are at a mediated state of mind (also it improves your respiratory functions which is miraculous) since this question is specific on Jesus, in Islamic context we believe he worshipped GOD in this way, as Muslim believes he was not lord himself as there is one God! However prior to Jesus many prophets before him prayed in this way. Since the modern alternatives being adapted into the Christian faith this way of praying may not have been highly interpreted or used as Islam brought the 5 times prayer system where muhammad constantly used the same posture for his prayers.

However, please see below references to illustrates the same :

These are some of the Prophets whom GOD blessed. They were chosen from among the descendants of Adam, and the descendants of those whom we carried with Noah, and the descendants of Abraham and Israel, and from among those whom we guided and selected. When the revelations of the Most Gracious are recited to them, they fall prostrate, weeping." – Qur’an English Translation [19:58]

"And he (Jesus) went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." - New Testament (Matthew 26:39)

"And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid." - New Testament (Matthew 17:6)

"And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying," - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Genesis 17:3)

"Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Genesis 17:17)

"And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped." - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Exodus 34:cool

“And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them.” - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Numbers 20:6)

"And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Numbers 16:20-22)

And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with [their] faces to the ground. - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Nehemiah 8:6)

"And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Joshua 5:14)

"And it came to pass, while they were slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Ezekiel 9:cool

"And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell before the LORD, worshipping the LORD." - Old Testament (Tanakh) (2 Chronicles 20:18)

"And it came to pass, when I prophesied, that Pelatiah the son of Benaiah died. Then fell I down upon my face, and cried with a loud voice, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of Israel?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Ezekiel 11:13)

Seun, is this not an affront on Christianity? Why should this dude be allowed to derail a Christian thread with Islamic postulations? This is disgusting, demeaning and contemptuous.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Zenlife: 12:16pm On Mar 06, 2016
Wrongful, fraudulent and deceptive tithe money collection.
An old testament practise allowed for Levite priests only, even then, not for all priests. No levite priests exist today. And when tithing was practised, tne bible instruction was to bring the yeilds from the fields etc to the storehouse and upon getting there, you and your family while glorifying God, eat that which you brought and share with the hungry and less priviledged. No where in the bible that instructs money tithing of any kind by the people.

Abraham in the bible tithed 10% once from the spoils of war to the king, upon rescuing his cousin. The other 90% he gave away, not keeping any for himself.

I challenge any christian preacher today to show in the bible where it says tithing can be collected by any priest who wasn't a levite. No levites exist today. In addition show the people, where the bible says preacher man/ woman can collect money as tithes. Today these shameless and fraudulent priests mostly collect money, some now even have POS equipments in church. In the name of God I condemn, banish and curse all tithe collecting pastors and general overseers. They are all frauds. And for the gullible that pay, you are foolish.

The money extorted from you and your silly brain-washed mind that makes you think you are giving it to God needs cleansing and a wake-up from slumber call. What you give you only give to man, not God. He, God will never have need or use of a kobo or Naira from you.

On your way to church you pass by the hungry and needy, ignore them or give a token at best and you give your money to the 'man of God fraud'... A truly 'deceptive, fraudulent man of evil'. Do you know or wonder how many so-called christians and clerics passed by for months the child left and abandoned to die who was rescued by the white woman, the vibrant blessed boy now called Hope? Daily you ignore and pass God (in many disguises) by to go serve the disguised devil in the so-called 'house of God'. Shameful unpallatable ignorance. All tithe collectors do not represent God. They are all from A-Z frauds.

How will the church be run and managed without tihes?
The church set-up as it is especially today, is all wrong from take-off. Why so many denominations? why so many churches? Or why so many 'Jesus' if you will? Capitalistic Money extortion, greed and fraud.
If a preacher truly has the calling, God the caller will provide a way to run and manage the house of worship. Where in the bible did it say Jesus or His disciples collected a dime from anybody ehn?

Hey its your money, if you elect to be extorted, knock yourself out. Whatever blessing from God you seem to get as translated in your mind is not because you gave a dime to God in church. He has no use of your money and needs it not to bless whom He chooses to.

I restate... ALL TITHE COLLECTING SO-CALLED PREACHERS, CHURCHES ARE ALL THIEVES AND FRAUDS!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by phanshark(m): 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
kimond101:

No one is fighting with you sir.
To you is your religion and to me is mine.
Do have a blessed day aswell. God bless you abundantly.
why always raising issues like this? instead of asking god 2 reveal the truth about Christians 2 u, but u choose 2 follow the majority opinion. Now this is what i believe, i believe that Muslims are the descendant of Ishmael & god promise him his own descendant, which 2day are known as Muslims, & god says he (Ishmael) hand's shall be on every man & every man shall be on him, that's why we are having this trouble everywhere. Now u can choose as a Muslim 2 be among the ones fighting order people 4 there faith or be the bridge builder so we can calm the situations among our brothers. Can this be stop? 2 me d answer is no. But we can always have a temporary solution 2 this problem's. The choice is yours 2 be a bridge builder as a Muslim. thanks 4 ur wishish & remain bless
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by kareemkamil(m): 12:21pm On Mar 06, 2016
Come to the truth of the matter, Islam & Christian is a good religion. But base on Nigeria mentality, we like to be criticise each other. It only most of people calling there self Christian are playing along because of there selfish interest.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2016
Kutunban:
I wish to recommend a section with strict terms and conditions for members of the Christian faith share ideas and comment so that other religion members will not post mockery comments about Christianity. It should be strick for Christians just like the Muslim section.

Like if you agree
Share if you don't agree

It an evil that Seun has allowed to blossom. What grieves me most is the number of gullible Christians who applaud this form of religious bullying. Shameless ignorant fearful faint-hearted generation of Christians.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Charlesdock(m): 12:31pm On Mar 06, 2016
Christianity has dramatically change. It no more like the early christians era. Some counterfeit people has even enter here pointing fingers. We need a new revival, it could be the last before the very end.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2016
This write up is on point, it absolutely speaks my mind. Inspite of this level of our religiousness, Nigeria and indeed the entire world is still being controlled by evil doers, too much deceit especially in Nigeria, more and more denominations here and there. Which one truly is approved by God?....
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Naturalle(f): 12:37pm On Mar 06, 2016
Whilst you are the resident saint. Nice!

STFUareyouGod:
That's how they've successfully frustrated me out of church. My house is now my church and my church is my house

"They asked me why I don't go to church no more
Cause church is the new club and wine is the new bub
And lies is the new drugs
My sister the next stripper, my brother the next victim
My usher the next tricker"
- A$AP ROCKY
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by mykeL8888: 12:39pm On Mar 06, 2016
Nthx but di truth,,christIanity is full diversity dis days I even Imagine wot right abt be a one denomination christian
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by bxcode(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2016
A lot of Christians are simply practicing religion without knowing it, Christianity without the person of Jesus is simply hypocrisy whether you are a Catholic, Pentecostal, Anglican etc. In heaven your church is as irrelevant as anything you can think of because you will stand before God almighty, imagine telling him you are a Pentecostal or Roman Catholic and so on. God help us all.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by phazotron(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2016
oga op what u r saying is true and we have to work on these issues. but this doesn't at all mean that other religions are better than Christianity. islam has its own issues too. what of sunni muslims slaughtering shia Muslims and referring to them as infidels or terrorists committing murder in the name of allah?
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by 9jatatafo(m): 12:44pm On Mar 06, 2016
I get baffled when I hear some Christian sets praying "Die by fire by force" and "Holy Ghost fire kill them". Is the Holy Ghost a killer? I thought Jesus Christ said he will send a comforter to his apostles. The Holy Ghost is a comforter and not a killer. One very annoying case with the Nigerian Christians is how one denomination will criticize the other and claim to be ways better. Where Pastor A who presides over congregation X will say Pastor B who belongs to congregation Y is fake. I have never seen any where in the Bible where any prophet or apostle say ill things about the others. King Solomon the wisest king in the bible was given great wisdom and knowledge because he never asked GOD for the life of his enemy/ies.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2016
gabriplane:
Islam is the fastest growing religion because they have higher birthrate compared to Christians....so the reason u mentioned is not associated with their growing population

There are many factors as to why its the fastest growing.. including the way they convert people.... i only mentioned one of the factors being one denomination... dont be in a haste to proclaim judgement.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by phazotron(m): 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2016
oga op what u r saying is true and we have to work on these issues. but this doesn't at all mean that other religions are better than Christianity. islam has its own issues too. what of sunni muslims slaughtering shia Muslims and referring to them as infidels or terrorists committing murder in the name of allah? let me tell u no human being is perfect. we all prayy for grace to be more like him. even though many Christians are hypocrites in Nigeria, i will point to u a large number of true Christians out there. so op relax. what we need to do is to pray for more grace to be more like him.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2016
Naturalle:

Whilst you are the resident saint. Nice!

no, I didn't say

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by phanshark(m): 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2016
[quote author=micca post=43525346][/quote] and who made you the Jorge of this mater? Are we not in a race? Some of the rule of the race is, u stay on your track and i stay on my track! are you not suppose 2 stay on ur own track? Advice: stay on your track our else u de-rail & loose fucose, pray 4 them that u think are going astray & ask god 2 give the message 2 this generation. Don't just comdem something u don't understand, cause you are not thought that way.pray 4 d holy spirit 2 give u decenment, cause thats what i think is missing in 2days Christianity.
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by effty(m): 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2016
What about the Saudi Imam who raped and tortured his daughter? Mind you, the torture led to her death after 7months of agony.
TruthHurts1:

You mean you're proud of terrorism, poverty, illiteracy and backwardness?

A female professor from the renowned Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt, says that Muslim men are allowed by Allah to rape non-Muslim women in order to “humiliate” them. Professor Suad Saleh made the bold claims while being interviewed on Al-Hayat TV. The professor says that the rape is allowed during times of “legitimate war” between Muslims and their enemies.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2713829/female-islamic-professor-says-allah-allows-muslims-to-rape-non-muslims-in-order-to-humiliate-them-video/

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by kimond101: 12:56pm On Mar 06, 2016
phanshark:
why always raising issues like this? instead of asking god 2 reveal the truth about Christians 2 u, but u choose 2 follow the majority opinion. Now this is what i believe, i believe that Muslims are the descendant of Ishmael & god promise him his own descendant, which 2day are known as Muslims, & god says he (Ishmael) hand's shall be on every man & every man shall be on him, that's why we are having this trouble everywhere. Now u can choose as a Muslim 2 be among the ones fighting order people 4 there faith or be the bridge builder so we can calm the situations among our brothers. Can this be stop? 2 me d answer is no. But we can always have a temporary solution 2 this problem's. The choice is yours 2 be a bridge builder as a Muslim. thanks 4 ur wishish & remain bless

Thank you
Like I said " To you is your religion and to me is mine"
I read your scripture and it has further strengthened my faith as a muslim.
No one is fighting anyone. I only said what the bible said or are you referring to something else?!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by zainabxel(f): 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2016
[quote author=kimond101 post=43523363]11. Not worshipping God the way the Bible prescribed

Nehemiah 8New International Version (NIV)

1 all the people came together as one in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the teacher of the Law to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

4 Ezra the teacher of the Law stood on a high wooden platform built for the occasion. Beside him on his right stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah and Maaseiah; and on his left were Pedaiah, Mishael, Malkijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah and Meshullam.

5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, “Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground.

7 The Levites—Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan and Pelaiah—instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there. 8 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear[a] and giving the meaning so that the people understood what was being read.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every prophets mentioned in the monotheistic religions used this Way of saying thanks or praying to GOD, the postures use is also beneficial when you are at a mediated state of mind (also it improves your respiratory functions which is miraculous) since this question is specific on Jesus, in Islamic context we believe he worshipped GOD in this way, as Muslim believes he was not lord himself as there is one God! However prior to Jesus many prophets before him prayed in this way. Since the modern alternatives being adapted into the Christian faith this way of praying may not have been highly interpreted or used as Islam brought the 5 times prayer system where muhammad constantly used the same posture for his prayers.

However, please see below references to illustrates the same :

These are some of the Prophets whom GOD blessed. They were chosen from among the descendants of Adam, and the descendants of those whom we carried with Noah, and the descendants of Abraham and Israel, and from among those whom we guided and selected. When the revelations of the Most Gracious are recited to them, they fall prostrate, weeping." – Qur’an English Translation [19:58]

"And he (Jesus) went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." - New Testament (Matthew 26:39)

"And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid." - New Testament (Matthew 17:6)

"And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying," - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Genesis 17:3)

"Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Genesis 17:17)

"And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped." - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Exodus 34:cool

daft punk, who cares about what you think? so its now your narrow mind that christians will follow? oya na, go and start your jihad, you might kill more people than Danfodio

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Masquerade Uses Statue Of Jesus Christ For His Performance. See Reactions / Exposing The Marine Kingdom, Water Spirit. / When You Try To Take A Selfie In Church (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.