Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,192 members, 7,953,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:31 PM

Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari (32021 Views)

The Woes Of Nigerian Scholarship Students Abroad / Nigerian Students Abroad Plead With Fg To Give Them A Better Exchange Rate / Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 989900: 12:02pm On Mar 07, 2016
texazzpete:
this is utter rubbish.

While it can be seen as a luxury to send your kids overseas to school, we must never forget that it is a KEY mechanism for knowledge transfer, and remains one of the best ways to
1) TRansfer knowledge and modern trends in medicine, science and technology and other fields

2) Ensure the next generation of lecturers and academics have the most exposure to the latest developments

I much rather the Govt continues aiding students to get access to forex at official rates than keep lavishing our precious forex on dinosaurs like Dangote that pay barely any tax.

God bless you!!!

The president is absolutely wrong in this aspect.

You could grant Dangote our reserves, the pilgrims, and gov't officials . . . are all these more important than education?

That comment reeks of everything that PEJ would say, even oga Jona wouldn't be that dumb to take such a stance.

BTW, it's easier to track the actual utilization of forex for school fees, than tracking utilization by importers of the so called 'required commodities'.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by platido(m): 12:02pm On Mar 07, 2016
hw much is this man been paid..he came here 2 say those who can afford it should go ahead n pay.imagine a president of a civilised country saying dz rubbish b4 a great nation like NIGERIA..better still his should come bck n school here, cos so far he can afford 2 pay 4 his children, dollars wont come down, rather still remain high...#KEEPITSTRAIGHTSDNTFOOLUS.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 07, 2016
Le2money:
I av nothing to say than.....Keeping My PVC card and THUMB safe for a better candidate come 2019....."VISION 2019"

Nigerians dont want to change their ways and keep looking for some imaginary leader to come and solve their problems without personal sacrifice.

If I were you I would embrace the pain and stick it out because nothing good comes easy, and you cant solve a problem by doing the same things that got you in the problem in the 1st place.

Let me end by saying something. Leaders like Awo, Zik and Balewa are long gone. Buhari is the last of a generation of altruistic leaders that can galvanise even the corrupt into a change of orientation. He needs the support of us all, for our own sake not his, because if we fail to get it right now, I promise you with the pysche of the average Nigerian.....we never will.

Buhari has written his own history, whather he succeeds or fails, whatever happens, he will go down as a 2 time Nigerian president, his children will not be hungry. we have an opportunity to write our own history. We have more to lose as a country if he fails, than Buhari has to gain if he succeeds.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by texazzpete(m): 12:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
AZeD1:

How do you stop rounding tripping of the dollar?

Where is the 'round tripping' going to come from?

To get the dollar for school fees for my friend, his parents have to tender documents from the school, signed and stamped confirming the EXACT amounts for the school fees and living expenses. Only then are they allowed to fill the forms and obtain the forex...and there are mechanisms in place to prevent this from being abused.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 989900: 12:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
lookandlaff:

Nigerians dont want to change their ways and keep looking for some imaginary leader to come and solve their problems without personal sacrifice.

If I were you I would embrace the pain and stick it out because nothing good comes easy, and you cant solve a problem by doing the same things that got you in the problem in the 1st place.

Let me end by saying something. Leaders like Awo, Zik and Balewa are long gone. Buhari is the last of a generation of altruistic leaders that can galvanise even the corrupt into a change of orientation. He needs the support of us all, for our own sake not his, because if we fail to get it right now, I promise you with the pysche of the average Nigerian.....we never will.

And they all got educated in foreign schools at one time or the other -- actually all our great leaders did.

Even first world countries do exchange programs.

How did Japan and China catch up with the west?

And we want to be like them . . .LMAO.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by joey150(m): 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2016
id4sho:

ptdf will get the pounds at the official rate and disburse. Thank me later
how sure are you?
Though am on a diff fed govt scholarship..but the fx stuff is affecting us...
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
989900:

And they all got educated in foreign schools at one time or the other -- actually all our great leaders did.

Even first world countries do exchange programs.

How did Japan and China catch up with the west?

And we want to be like them . . .LMAO.

Was there a university in Nigeria when AWO, ZIK etc went abroad to school? I have said this before, the biggest problem in this country is the mniddle class, the same people who got world class education from Universities like Ui, ABU, Nsukka, OAU are the ones who gave nothing back to socirty and now cant send their kids to the same schools that educated them and are crying. The children of the masses have been enduring susbstandard education for decades (you only have to read any random page on Nairaland to know we are producing dullards) but middle class Nigeria didnt care, now that it affects their kids they are crying.

If you are forced to educate your kids here, you will pay more attention to our educational institutions.

In any event have you wondered why all these foreign Universities physically come to Nigeria to look for students? Because we are mugus, our students pay foreign student fees when they study abroad which is much higher that what the locals pay. So again we subsidize their educational system while ours grows from bad to worse. Pay fees locally we say no, we want free education but If we spent all that money on fees into a nIgerian university, the quality of the education would rise. We are such stupid people, we abandon the local football league and subsidize the premier league and then we moan when Nigeria never does well in international tournaments. Where do you think the premiership gets the money to pay all those fantastic wages that attracts the best players from all over? From Mugu countries like Nigeria who pay for broadcast rights!!! Nobody says dont study abroad... but go and find your own forex!!!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
190:
useless man undecided
Nobody sees you again. What happened? You done retire? I still remember when you used to overload Nairaland. grin
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by clovislouis(m): 12:15pm On Mar 07, 2016
bigtt76:
Thank God I sorted my fees long before all these mess ...wonder how I for survive! Sometimes sacrificing comfort pays undecided
good for u
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by texazzpete(m): 12:17pm On Mar 07, 2016
Bluffly:

I am a study abroad agent but I must say the truth. We have not seen any significant effect on our environment since Nigerians have been studying abroad. The opportunity has been reduced to obtaining the certificate rather than skill transfer. Studying abroad is synonymous to travelling globally. Our leaders are well travelled but we can't see the significance of their exposure in our society. In as much as I am not happy with the development, I can not outrightly blame Buhari.

Please, be serious.

How are our lecturers who were largely trained in the 80s or 70s supposed to pass on modern trends and recent developments to the new generation?
There are a LOT of Nigerians who just go and come back to get the certificate, but there are plenty others who come back to add value. do you know how many new IT millionaires and employers of labor we have now in Nigeria, instituting new tech and new ways of doing things?

The guys behind Smile internet, you think their further studies were done in ABSU? Mark Essien founded hotels.ng, Nigeria's biggest hotels booking site with an annual turnover in hundreds of millions, if not billions. he learnt how to be a Software developer in Berlin. My friend is specializing in nuclear medicine in South Africa, and will return to be one of the foremost in that field in Nigeria. Another friend moved from Uniben to Oxford, returned to be a leading light in internal revenue generation, lectured part time in LBS and is now working with external investors and partners to build Nigeria's first cancer center.

And these are just a few examples.

Just because you only follow the lives of a few desperate fellows who just want to emigrate, It doesn't mean there aren't tons of Nigerians coming back to make a difference. How else will we get any modern knowledge in mechatronics, robotics, computer engineering, advanced farming techniques etc that aren't taught as well here?

I have been a Buhari supporter for a LONG time. But he GOOFED badly here, and betrays how out of touch he really is.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by olaitan9291(m): 12:17pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nnemuka:

gbam

incase you have a child in his final year at the university studying medicine or "avionics" abeg send him back to Nigeria to continue from osun state university. no time.

Nigeria cannot afford to subsidize, we only subsidize when our moslem brothers want to go on pilgrimage to mecca.

sai changi

Please Mr. man, be careful of what to write.
The topic is not religious based but issue on economy.
please stop mentioning Muslim while commenting, FG subsidizes for Christian too when going to Jerusalem. We don't toy with our religion, please.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by ofedegbe(m): 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
BUSHHUNTER:
You sent your children abroad and you want the federal to pay for their school fees?....Gosh! Nigerians are so silly.

Who does that?
I will ask you this only once
are you a half-baked undergraduate or a half-baked graduate
you obviously didn't read the post

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Bestbeelieve: 12:19pm On Mar 07, 2016
banki:

Bros it's simple economics...
Let me ask you and be sincere if you were in the president's shoes with the current fall in the price of crude and the fact that forex is scarce please tell me what you will do?
Stop excessive travelling,buying expensive cars,and bring my child home to study in Osu as an example to those who are studying abroad.let him fix d damm economy man.they don't have a plan!!!clueless waiting for oyel to rise to 1000usd wtf
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by BUSHHUNTER: 12:20pm On Mar 07, 2016
ofedegbe:

I will ask you this only once
are you a half-baked undergraduate or a half-baked graduate
you obviously didn't read the post

After seeing your signature I can see you are a dropout...stay off my post dunce.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by EbolaParasite: 12:22pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nnemuka:

gbam

incase you have a child in his final year at the university studying medicine or "avionics" abeg send him back to Nigeria to continue from osun state university. no time.

Nigeria cannot afford to subsidize, we only subsidize when our moslem brothers want to go on pilgrimage to mecca.

sai changi

Ignorance!!
The amount spent on foreign student fees is insignificant when compared to the forex needed to import pms, pharmaceuticala, agricultural products etc. Your president is just giving excuses.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by EbolaParasite: 12:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
texazzpete:

Please, be serious.

How are our lecturers who were largely trained in the 80s or 70s supposed to pass on modern trends and recent developments to the new generation?
There are a LOT of Nigerians who just go and come back to get the certificate, but there are plenty others who come back to add value. do you know how many new IT millionaires and employers of labor we have now in Nigeria, instituting new tech and new ways of doing things?

The guys behind Smile internet, you think their further studies were done in ABSU? Mark Essien founded hotels.ng, Nigeria's biggest hotels booking site with an annual turnover in hundreds of millions, if not billions. he learnt how to be a Software developer in Berlin. My friend is specializing in nuclear medicine in South Africa, and will return to be one of the foremost in that field in Nigeria. Another friend moved from Uniben to Oxford, returned to be a leading light in internal revenue generation, lectured part time in LBS and is now working with external investors and partners to build Nigeria's first cancer center.

And these are just a few examples.

Just because you only follow the lives of a few desperate fellows who just want to emigrate, It doesn't mean there aren't tons of Nigerians coming back to make a difference. How else will we get any modern knowledge in mechatronics, robotics, computer engineering, advanced farming techniques etc that aren't taught as well here?

I have been a Buhari supporter for a LONG time. But he GOOFED badly here, and betrays how out of touch he really is.

Excellent points.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by ofedegbe(m): 12:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
BUSHHUNTER:

After seeing your signature I can see you are a dropout...stay off my post dunce.

you are doing more harm to you comprehension capabilities. I am only trying to help you out in this case. I can now see that it's beyond redemption.
NB: my signature is a word in my dialect so FOH
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 989900: 12:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
lookandlaff:

Was there a university in Nigeria when AWO, ZIK etc went abroad to school? I have said this before, the biggest problem in this country is the mniddle class, the same people who got world class education from Universities like Ui, ABU, Nsukka, OAU are the ones who gave nothing back to socirty and now cant send their kids to the same schools that educated them and are crying. The children of the masses have been enduring susbstandard education for decades (you only have to read any random page on Nairaland to know we are producing dullards) but middle class Nigeria didnt care, now that it affects their kids they are crying.

If you are forced to educate your kids here, you will pay more attention to our educational institutions.

You are totally missing the point.

Yabatech founded 1938. University of Ibadan founded 1948 (count how many Nigerians got educated outside the country since 1948) , and that's not even the point at all.

It's totally not about if, or how many universities we have.

I'd have to write a book to break it down further, but I hope you can figure out the benefits of foreign education.

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 989900: 12:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
EbolaParasite:

Ignorance!!
The amount spent on foreign student fees is insignificant when compared to the forex needed to import pms, pharmaceuticala, agricultural products etc. Your president is just giving excuses.

God bless you!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by BUSHHUNTER: 12:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
ofedegbe:

you are doing more harm to you comprehension capabilities. I am only trying to help you out in this case. I can now see that it's beyond redemption.
NB: my signature is a word in my dialect so FOH

Try next year son.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by ofedegbe(m): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
BUSHHUNTER:

Try next year son.

in that case
continue bush hunting
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by str8talk1: 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
Ok. But be warned, ungrateful & disrespectful Zuma will b knocking at ur doorstep for consideration of MTN's fine. If u do,apart 4rm being knwn as d Northern,ur name will b added to d 'Fools Club' like OBJ who gave up Bakassi in search of d Peace Nobel price which has eluded him till now. MTN must pay their fine in hard currency.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Nobody: 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
989900:

You are totally missing the point.

Yabatech founded 1938. University of Ibadan founded 1948 (count how many Nigerians got educated outside the country since 1948) , and that's not even the point at all.

It's totally not about if, or how many universities we have.

I'd have to write a book to break it down further, but I hope you can figure out the benefits of foreign education.

I dont support importation of toothpicks when we can manufacture toothpicks, if you want imported toothpicks fine but get your own forex. I dont support govt subsidizing foreign education when we have universities, if you want foreign education fine but get your own forex. I would rather spend money on fixing our schools than subsidizing foreign education for the well to do. That's the irony of it all....these are not children of poor people!!! Like I said Check Thisday last week (not sure which day but I am going to look for it and will post a screen shot) Oliseh Metuh got money from Diamond bank for his child's school fees @ N197.5. Are you telling me it will kill Olisah Metuh to get his forex on the black market?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by AZeD1(m): 12:30pm On Mar 07, 2016
texazzpete:

Where is the 'round tripping' going to come from?

To get the dollar for school fees for my friend, his parents have to tender documents from the school, signed and stamped confirming the EXACT amounts for the school fees and living expenses. Only then are they allowed to fill the forms and obtain the forex...and there are mechanisms in place to prevent this from being abused.
How do you think round tripping occurs? I want to send money to my sister, i fill all her details, i get the forex, call my uncle or my friends, tell them to send x amount of money to my sister and i'll pay the equivalent to their Nigerian account, do the same thing for my brother and i make serious profit.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by badonkadonk: 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2016
cynthy2000:
With the current free fall of the Nigerian currency (Naira) against the major foreign currencies (Dollar, Pound, Euro etc.), the Nigerian government under president Muhammadu Buhari has stopped the sales of forex to parents of students studying abroad.

Parents of Nigerian students abroad who just last year obtained dollar at the then official exchange rate of ₦166 are now forced to obtain the dollar at the current parallel/black market rate of over ₦300. What this means is that parents who last year paid about ₦1.6 million for a $10,000 tuition fee abroad will now have to pay about ₦3 million for the same $10,000 tuition fee in foreign Universities/Colleges or withdraw their wards.

In an interview with Al Jazeera, President Buhari while responding to a question on the challenges faced by parents with kids in schools abroad, who are now facing the possibility of having to pull their kids out, simply said “If the country cannot afford it, so be it.”

When probed further by Al Jazeera's Martine Dennis about his children who obviously will continue their studies abroad, the president said "Those who can afford it, can still afford it. But for those who can’t, Nigeria cannot afford to allocate foreign exchange for those who decided to train their children outside the country. We can’t just afford it.”
“Well, that’s the true situation we are in.”

The federal government is convinced that the high demand for forex by parents of the students studying abroad has contributed to the current free fall of the Nigerian currency.

The president also frowned on those who received foreign exchange from the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) at the official exchange rate but divert same to make more profits.

“Anybody who is given dollars by the CBN to import pharmaceuticals and decides to go and sell at parallel market in order to make, maybe additional N100, we will pursue them and punish them”, the president vowed.

Source: http://campusportalng.com/education/forex-nigerian-students-abroad-buhari/32252/

But Nigeria can afford to buy new unneeded cars for our senators ba.?

I mean this man is just been plain hypocritical.. Everything dey on a stand still cos he doesn't have quality policy makers...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by BUSHHUNTER: 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2016
ofedegbe:

in that case
continue bush hunting

Whatever.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by rawtouch: 12:33pm On Mar 07, 2016
Meaning he does not give a damnn
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 07, 2016
badonkadonk:

But Nigeria can afford to buy new unneeded cars for our senators ba.?

I mean this man is just been plain hypocritical.. Everything dey on a stand still cos he doesn't have quality policy makers...

The senate is an independent branch of government, the executive has no control on what the senate or the judiciary do. Last time I checked, Buhari is driving in the same car Jonathan was using.

Is it right that the senate is displaying such insensitivity at a time like this, no but that's not on Buhari. Lay blame where it is due.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 190: 12:40pm On Mar 07, 2016
Ontarget:

Nobody sees you again. What happened? You done retire? I still remember when you used to overload Nairaland. grin

LOL Really grin grin

Maybe priorities man Priorities grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Ogirinaz(m): 12:42pm On Mar 07, 2016
What is wrong with our domestic university? If you can afford abroad not bad, but that is the naked truth from Mr president. This trend has been on ever since before independent, president children never study in Nigeria coz he can afford it, So y nailing or criticising him?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by tinsel: 12:43pm On Mar 07, 2016
Well, I have two students abroad, it is a sacrifice we must make in view of the current reality of things no problem.
There is an option to come back to Nigeria to continue the education.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by devonpaul(m): 12:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
Reading thru every line of comments, you cannot but shake ur head judiciously for our people. We are intellectual fools. We basically want a rosy and booming Nigerian economy on a platter of Gold. Let a new Nigeria drops on our laps. 95% of us are suffering in Nigeria because of the decisions of some 5%, the president declare a redress to curb d sufferings of the 95%. The 95% are fighting for the 5% again. RIP to our intellectuals in Nigeria. I smh. When there's violent economy meltdown and nigeria continues like dz,some of u here will become so poor that u won't be able to afford 10mb worth of data. No be curse. Violent situations incur violent solutions. We apologize to whosoever is in abroad studying, if its not convenient. Come back home. Am sure UI and others would love to workout a smooth transfer system for you but Sorry we can't let this nation economy perish and allow starvation and poverty kill us all because some of y'all want to study abroad or prolly turn on ur geotag to show ur village people on facebook ur new Location: West sussex, UK. What's wrong with yall?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB: Galadima Zakari's 364, The True Highest Score In 2018 UTME / Dr Olumuyiwa Igbalajobi Asks Canadian University To Stop IELTS In Nigeria / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Asks Nigerians To Vote Out APC (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.