Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,041 members, 7,953,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari (32018 Views)

The Woes Of Nigerian Scholarship Students Abroad / Nigerian Students Abroad Plead With Fg To Give Them A Better Exchange Rate / Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Roadmike(m): 12:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
banki:
[s]Is there anything wrong with what he said?

There is scarcity of dollars and most of it goes on school fees,and frivolities!

No more subsidising
[/s]

A million an one things are wrong.
A president should for all intent and purposes a father figure and respond to the wishes and desires of his people. But the issues is who are those sending their kids overseas ? Majority are Southerners following the failure of the Educational System instigated by them.

Maintain a differential price mechanism who are those behind BDC mainly malams. He tells you his going to sanction and prosecute those involve in round tripping. How is he to do that and of what value is that to the economy.

most countries desirous of advancement would rather pursue educational pursuit for their wards but not with the Nigerian president.

Its rather unfortunate. No qualms will have to endure his madness, hope we will all learn.
[/size][size=8pt] cry cry

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by martinosi: 12:46pm On Mar 07, 2016
texazzpete:
this is utter rubbish.

While it can be seen as a luxury to send your kids overseas to school, we must never forget that it is a KEY mechanism for knowledge transfer, and remains one of the best ways to
1) TRansfer knowledge and modern trends in medicine, science and technology and other fields

2) Ensure the next generation of lecturers and academics have the most exposure to the latest developments

I much rather the Govt continues aiding students to get access to forex at official rates than keep lavishing our precious forex on dinosaurs like Dangote that pay barely any tax.

This point you made is a solid point...The Forex set aside for students studying abroad should continue
The point must be noted that a sizeable sum of Nigerians that send their children to study abroad make their money
from export related business, they turn their dollars into Nigeria etc..so why should they be stopped from
accessing Nigeria at the Official rate of exhange...

Also the issue of making sure that we have Graduates abroad that are updated with International skills is key

Note - Meanwhile Mallam, Aboki and their likes will still get their Dollars at Official rate and send to their kids abroad for
school fee's lol...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Kyase(m): 12:47pm On Mar 07, 2016
1shortblackboy:
I'm just imagining if Jonathan made this statement. The cause wey for follow am enh ! Even devil sef go dey pity am
Ahahahaha make I keep party one side laugh.
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 989900: 12:49pm On Mar 07, 2016
lookandlaff:

I dont support importation of toothpicks when we can manufacture toothpicks, if you want imported toothpicks fine but get your own forex. I dont support govt subsidizing foreign education when we have universities, if you want foreign education fine but get your own forex. I would rather spend money on fixing our schools than subsidizing foreign education for the well to do. That's the irony of it all....these are not children of poor people!!! Like I said Check Thisday last week (not sure which day but I am going to look for it and will post a screen shot) Oliseh Metuh got money from Diamond bank for his child's school fees @ N197.5. Are you telling me it will kill Olisah Metuh to get his forex on the black market?

You are still missing the point.
I need to get things done; else I would have taken my time to break it down for you.
You can ask around or read other people's comment in the interim.
BTW, education accounts for roughly less than 5% of our Forex demands.
BTW, baba prioritizes Dangote's factories in Ethiopia and e.t.c need for Forex over education of our kids -- that's a shame!!!

The value of all forms of education is unquantifiable -- shouldn't be sacrificed for anything else.

ZIK, AWO, AND AHMADU WILL BE TURNING IN THEIR GRAVES AT THAT COMMENT BY BUBU.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by devonpaul(m): 12:50pm On Mar 07, 2016
badonkadonk:

But Nigeria can afford to buy new unneeded cars for our senators ba.?

I mean this man is just been plain hypocritical.. Everything dey on a stand still cos he doesn't have quality policy makers...
Lol. There are volunteer jobs on policy making at d aso Villa o Bros. If u want it come and collect it
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by martinosi: 12:51pm On Mar 07, 2016
banki:
Is there anything wrong with what he said?

There is scarcity of dollars and most of it goes on school fees,and frivolities!

No more subsidising

Not true..their is not scarcity of dollar....the crude oil price has fallen...there are all kinds of
Govt Sponsored Programs in Dollars going on in the country that will not even benefit most lower-middle class Nigerians
and the HOS of the Nation makes uncalled for statements like these "smh"
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by blackpriest0911: 12:52pm On Mar 07, 2016
Y can't out dollars be use yo service infrastructure, industries than spending on school fees? What happened to out educational facilities in Naija?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by martinosi: 12:53pm On Mar 07, 2016
Montaque:
Buhari has integrity.
I know he will recall his kids from the UK or at most source £ or € from the black market. He is a humble man, and simple. He hates corruption and double standard.
I firmly believe he will. grin grin grin grin

Keep on dreaming...Buhari children will all school abroad..while you live in your dream world lol!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by kumakunta: 12:56pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nnemuka:

gbam

incase you have a child in his final year at the university studying medicine or "avionics" abeg send him back to Nigeria to continue from osun state university. no time.

Nigeria cannot afford to subsidize, we only subsidize when our moslem brothers want to go on pilgrimage to mecca.

sai changi

Lady stop being a Hypocrite..its also subsidized for Christians goin on pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by makabulchi(m): 1:04pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nnemuka:

i will do exactly what buhari did, send my own kids abroad and tell other nigerians who can afford it to do so. abi na
Looooool....I love nairaland
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by makabulchi(m): 1:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
banki:

Abeg which of buharis kids is currently in school abroad?
Besides what he simply says is if you want forex to pay for school fees go to the banks and bureau de change, govt will stop subsidizing dollars the only people that will benefit from dollar subsidy now is manufaturers
Ds guy no wan gree sha....
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Sweetlemon(f): 1:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
Honestly I don't know what you want him to do. Pay your school fees from his pocket
Assuming the FX issue were his fault the statement would have been irresponsible. But it isn't his fault. He can only manage it the best way he can.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by bladeAnders(m): 1:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
johnmark1234:
Buhari is a BASTARD
freedom of speech
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Babacele: 1:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
modath:

Most commenters are just being contrary & antagonistic for petty reasons...

If anyone needs subsidized forex to pay fees, then it's safe to conclude they can barely afford it... which is the crux of the matter..

Education is important ,but foreign education is only useful for the recipient & relatives so it's not a major national emergency that will warrant that pharmaceutical,raw materials for essential goods & services oil,life threatening medical ailments etc take a back seat to it...

We can keep pretending like we don't know the dilemma of a mono export economy with decline in the value of such commodity but our precarious situation is clear for the Late Ray Charles to decipher...

my 2k

*caveat*
Quote me ONLY for robust & objective discuss, if your thing is sentimental bias / myopic crap, pls miss me with it.. cool
ohohoh.... so u know about Ray Charles too? Ray would have said IPOB baby unchain your hearts from ignorance, baby set yourself free!
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by OBAGADAFFI: 1:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
banki:

Bros it's simple economics...
Let me ask you and be sincere if you were in the president's shoes with the current fall in the price of crude and the fact that forex is scarce please tell me what you will do?

Is Buhaha or Nigerian government paying the school fees of Nigerian studying abroad?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by richard870(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2016
cynthy2000:
With the current free fall of the Nigerian currency (Naira) against the major foreign currencies (Dollar, Pound, Euro etc.), the Nigerian government under president Muhammadu Buhari has stopped the sales of forex to parents of students studying abroad.

Parents of Nigerian students abroad who just last year obtained dollar at the then official exchange rate of ₦166 are now forced to obtain the dollar at the current parallel/black market rate of over ₦300. What this means is that parents who last year paid about ₦1.6 million for a $10,000 tuition fee abroad will now have to pay about ₦3 million for the same $10,000 tuition fee in foreign Universities/Colleges or withdraw their wards.

In an interview with Al Jazeera, President Buhari while responding to a question on the challenges faced by parents with kids in schools abroad, who are now facing the possibility of having to pull their kids out, simply said “If the country cannot afford it, so be it.”

When probed further by Al Jazeera's Martine Dennis about his children who obviously will continue their studies abroad, the president said "Those who can afford it, can still afford it. But for those who can’t, Nigeria cannot afford to allocate foreign exchange for those who decided to train their children outside the country. We can’t just afford it.”
“Well, that’s the true situation we are in.”

The federal government is convinced that the high demand for forex by parents of the students studying abroad has contributed to the current free fall of the Nigerian currency.

The president also frowned on those who received foreign exchange from the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) at the official exchange rate but divert same to make more profits.

“Anybody who is given dollars by the CBN to import pharmaceuticals and decides to go and sell at parallel market in order to make, maybe additional N100, we will pursue them and punish them”, the president vowed.

Source: http://campusportalng.com/education/forex-nigerian-students-abroad-buhari/32252/
What exactly is wrong is this mooroon? He feels so comfortable dishing out poo anytime.

It's high time we embrace a real DEMOCRACY, not this tyrannic, autocratic, callous and senseless governance by some nomadic dunce all in the name of political sentiments of some selfish Nigerians
#WeNeedaRevolution#
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Koleman(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2016
Baba o. Hahaha. I guess its part of the buy made in nigeria campaign.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by 4nobody4every1: 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2016
adezjamz:
.......Bubu truly belongs to nobody.

Pity undecided
l am bubu, why mention my namegrin grin

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by jimi4us: 1:27pm On Mar 07, 2016
banki:
Is there anything wrong with what he said?

No more subsidising
and who made the dollar to be scarce? Buhari. Pls tell him to stop calling Russia , Lassia.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Twoboys: 1:40pm On Mar 07, 2016
I think Government need to first ask and answer the question of what is responsible for this unprecedented urge for Parents to send their wards abroad for education. Parents making the huge sacrifice to give their children good education abroad are the ones subsidizing our future development as a country. When Mr President recently sacked 13 VCs of universities and replaced them with persons who were recommended by political party, as admitted by the minister of education before the house of representative committee. This are some of the things that has put our educational system in the mess it is. If only Mr president children were schooling in any of those university, then he would be more objective in choosing a VC for that university, through a open and competitive process that would ensure the best brain and most qualify is appointed.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by jattshaf(m): 1:42pm On Mar 07, 2016
johnmark1234:
Buhari is a BASTARD

Just like your father
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Bluffly: 1:57pm On Mar 07, 2016
texazzpete:

Please, be serious.

How are our lecturers who were largely trained in the 80s or 70s supposed to pass on modern trends and recent developments to the new generation?
There are a LOT of Nigerians who just go and come back to get the certificate, but there are plenty others who come back to add value. do you know how many new IT millionaires and employers of labor we have now in Nigeria, instituting new tech and new ways of doing things?

The guys behind Smile internet, you think their further studies were done in ABSU? Mark Essien founded hotels.ng, Nigeria's biggest hotels booking site with an annual turnover in hundreds of millions, if not billions. he learnt how to be a Software developer in Berlin. My friend is specializing in nuclear medicine in South Africa, and will return to be one of the foremost in that field in Nigeria. Another friend moved from Uniben to Oxford, returned to be a leading light in internal revenue generation, lectured part time in LBS and is now working with external investors and partners to build Nigeria's first cancer center.

And these are just a few examples.

Just because you only follow the lives of a few desperate fellows who just want to emigrate, It doesn't mean there aren't tons of Nigerians coming back to make a difference. How else will we get any modern knowledge in mechatronics, robotics, computer engineering, advanced farming techniques etc that aren't taught as well here?

I have been a Buhari supporter for a LONG time. But he GOOFED badly here, and betrays how out of touch he really is.

Guy there is difference between studying abroad and coming back to Nigeria to make millions while affecting few lives and studying abroad to come and affect many lives. You have also reduced the skills transfer to just making money. Our going out to study abroad is basically to make us a research hub. If the knowledge we have gathered so can not be geared into research that will bring us about making our own, then its useless. You mentioned Smile Internet which is basically a service which is not of our making. I see channels such as extreme engineering and its manny likes as regards innovations, we have many internationally trained engineers, did you see their impact. Everyone only came back to assure their survival. If you studied mechatronics abroad, why not go and lecture in the university and see how you can impact lives, get the government to invest in research or private sectors rather than looking out to become a millionaire. Until we start replicating all these things from the point of research and development everything is a mirage. A good example is China. They study abroad but see how they've been able to replicate things. When you pick India and China, Nigeria is next on foreign education and yet we are so wide apart from them in terms of earth breaking innovations.

Hotels.ng is similar to Booking .com in the UK. If you look behind it you will realise that there is a foreign technicality behind it. If will can not sit down and make it Nigerian then its bullshit. Its okay to start with the foreign support but not for long. But in Nigeria, the foreign support sticks.

Tough decisions are needed in tough times. He pegged FX while trying to see what can be done to salvage the economy futuristically. We have very few FX as a nation and if they keep servicing every FX demands then we will be left with no FX since the FX is no more flowing in unlike before. Have you seen anyone making it through enjoyment? You want everything to keep bubbling while we are moving towards death rather than for us to be sober while trying to birth life.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by johnmark1234(m): 2:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
jattshaf:

Just like your father
your mama na achawo ur sisters na akwuna ur criminal.go and die monkey
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Nobody: 2:02pm On Mar 07, 2016
Every Nigerian has the same right as the mofo.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Okekechidi100: 2:02pm On Mar 07, 2016
God will help us
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Briz(m): 2:03pm On Mar 07, 2016
anath:

Then other politicians and I will send our kids abroad for better education then those that are poor to study in Nigeria. Then during job recruitment they(politicians children) will be the first to be hired. Then big inequality between the rich and the poor

Then those that are 'poor' to study in Nigeria after completion will start agric business and other industries and employ/hire kids with education abroad to work for them.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by badonkadonk: 2:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
lookandlaff:

The senate is an independent branch of government, the executive has no control on what the senate or the judiciary do. Last time I checked, Buhari is driving in the same car Jonathan was using.

Is it right that the senate is displaying such insensitivity at a time like this, no but that's not on Buhari. Lay blame where it is due.

But is it not from the same purse, the Senate are dipping their flimsy hands to gain purchasing power..

Apc are in the majority in the Senate house.. Wat in the carnations are they doing?

I would still blame buhari.. Cos he promised so much and all he is giving us is corruption this corruption that..

He can't even grant a foreign interview without losing his temper now..!

But before he got into power he was as calm as can be.. Reading prepared scripts..

He said he wouldn't travel up and down... He got into power and he has toured almost all the countries in this world burning our money per second..

Would I care bout corruption if I can't eat..

Would I care bout corruption if I can't get a job

Would I care for corruption if i can't enjoy basic social amenities..

Osinbajo was seen interviewing commoners during his campaign. Making loud affirmations..

Please since he entered the vice presidents laounge.. Wat has he done to meet up to the information he got from the people...

Let's argue with facts... Let's be non partisan and face the truth..

Let's discuss and stare truth in the face.. It's clocking one year in power for buhari..

Wat has he done asyd corruption and boko haram..?

I feel like creating a thread on matters that burns... Just that in this era of mods it would not hit front page...

I love fact based arguments..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by mart2k(m): 2:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
johnmark1234:
Buhari is a BASTARD
Like ur papa
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by jeffooh999(m): 2:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
Jst resign and hand over to those that knows how to rule a country simple!de blue print of Nigeria economy is in de hand of few personnels,is not by garra-garra,you guys shld advice him to resighn ok
banki:

Bros it's simple economics...
Let me ask you and be sincere if you were in the president's shoes with the current fall in the price of crude and the fact that forex is scarce please tell me what you will do?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by ronaldbecky(m): 2:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
Realist2:
This kind president, you can afford to pay your children own, but those who can't afford it are on their own?.
Nigerians are in for a long thing, very soon, Buhari will say the same thing on the economy.
Welcome to Chanji.
why some people no get sense...a whole presido..whose presido in dis world wod do dat
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by ronaldbecky(m): 2:19pm On Mar 07, 2016
Realist2:
This kind president, you can afford to pay your children own, but those who can't afford it are on their own?.
Nigerians are in for a long thing, very soon, Buhari will say the same thing on the economy.
Welcome to Chanji.
why some people no get sense...a whole presido..whose presido in dis world wod do dat?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari by Ekakamba: 2:24pm On Mar 07, 2016
*singing* masu gudu su gudu... sai baba Buhari cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB: Galadima Zakari's 364, The True Highest Score In 2018 UTME / Dr Olumuyiwa Igbalajobi Asks Canadian University To Stop IELTS In Nigeria / Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.