Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? (7151 Views)

Google Celebrates Women's Day With Interactive Doodles On #herstoryourstory / Happy International Women's Day !!! / Today Is My Birthday. Celebrate With Me (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 08, 2016
It's for various organizations, governments and other stakeholders to focus on women issues like FGM, girl child education, wife Beating, unequal, salaries, women empowerment, early marriages etc.

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by hovapsmartini(m): 1:14pm On Mar 08, 2016
happy international women's day, mummy and daddy
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by lonelydora: 1:26pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

Non gender equality is the main reason Africa still remains under developed! Cos that what happens when half of the populace is uneducated and non productive.

I believe not in 5050 but 7030.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by YelloweWest: 1:47pm On Mar 08, 2016
lezz:
Women only began entering the workforce in Europe during WW2 and the development gap between Africa and Europe is wider then than it is today.

WW2 really?
Yet women were allowed to be Queens of the most powerful Kingdoms long before WW2!
Be honest African custom see a woman as sub human!
When half of the populace is subhuman how can we be developed?

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by YelloweWest: 1:49pm On Mar 08, 2016
oloyede252:
happy international women day..but do you actually believe gender inequality is the reason why africa is stil a developing country

Yes!!! First the record majority of African countries are considered UNDER DEVELOPED! NOT DEVELOPING

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by YelloweWest: 1:51pm On Mar 08, 2016
Vig86:

Nooo, she is more like a daughter and very much innocent, but she can touch any pot no matter how hot it is.

I don't understand what you mean by she can touch any pot no matter how hot.
Please explain
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by lezz(m): 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

WW2 really?
Yet women were allowed to be Queens of the most powerful Kingdoms long before WW2!
Be honest African custom see a woman as sub human!
When half of the populace is subhuman how can we be developed?
Women working in the West since history has always been necessitated by shortages or need. From world wars 1 & 2 to the Great depression.
Matter of fact, America implored women to go back home after the end of WW2. Women not working has no bearing to Africa's under development.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?243179-When-did-women-start-working

How do you explain the middle east like Saudi Arabia and UAE where women still live a tad higher than domestic help? They are still structurally more advanced than Africa.

Yeah, Europe installed female kings out of the expediency of keeping blue bloods in the throne but at the same time women were denied the right to vote!!!

In fact women have attained full suffrage in some African countries like Nigeria when some European countries were still denying women that right.

Countries like France, Italy, Portugal etc only granted women that right in the 1940s, while Switzerland and Leicestershire were 1971 and 1984 respectively!!!

Africa's development or lack thereof has no bearing with women's participation or non-participation in the economy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by oloyede252(m): 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

Yes!!! First the record majority of African countries are considered UNDER DEVELOPED! NOT DEVELOPING
majority not all..Nigeria is a developing country due to many factor in which gender equality is of little significant to it...

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by YelloweWest: 3:04pm On Mar 08, 2016
oloyede252:
majority not all..Nigeria is a developing country due to many factor in which gender equality is of little significant to it...

Nigeria is developing??
Please!
In developing countries factories spring up on a monthly bases
Tell me anywhere in Nigeria where at least 10 or even 5 major industries for raw materials eg steel, textiles, wheat etc has been built in the last 5 years?? Nigeria is underdeveloped
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by oloyede252(m): 3:09pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

Nigeria is developing??
Please!
In developing countries factories spring up on a monthly bases
Tell me anywhere in Nigeria where at least 10 or even 5 major industries for raw materials eg steel, textiles, wheat etc has been built in the last 5 years?? Nigeria is underdeveloped
oh God.where do you live.because for you to have this opinion you must be living far away from nigeria.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by YelloweWest: 3:17pm On Mar 08, 2016
oloyede252:
oh God.where do you live.because for you to have this opinion you must be living far away from nigeria.
Enlighten me pls cos the last time I checked we still import everything
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by oloyede252(m): 3:21pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

Enlighten me pls cos the last time I checked we still import everything
import everything.meaning no industry inNIGERIA.plese that all for today.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by YelloweWest: 3:44pm On Mar 08, 2016
oloyede252:
import everything.meaning no industry inNIGERIA.plese that all for today.
Oya name them now remember I said major new ones
If we have them it should be at out finger tips when asked!
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Chukzyfcb(m): 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

Submit to my husband yes. But not to every man!
Every other man is an equal
There's been an abuse of the word equality. There should be Gender EQUITY and not gender equality. In otherwords there should be fairness in treating both sexes, whiich is equity not equality.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Deo1986(m): 4:39pm On Mar 08, 2016
I just punch my wife tongue For telling me to buy her a new phone. How about that for mothers day? equality my foot.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
Big party here tonight!

Freedom is sweet oh.
Right to work and earn.
Right to sleep from 10am to 6am. Don't have to wake up by 3am to soak bean to fry akara. grin
Right to vote for equal right. Marriage kaput I take my own half...

Right to be whom I want to be. Go where I wanna go without fear of harassment by ever wandering blokos. ..

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by RiloKiley: 5:42pm On Mar 08, 2016
lezz:
Women only began entering the workforce in Europe during WW2 and the development gap between Africa and Europe is wider then than it is today.

Lol!
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by RiloKiley: 5:43pm On Mar 08, 2016
YelloweWest:

I don't understand what you mean by she can touch any pot no matter how hot.
Please explain
Me too am waiting for explanation.
That sounded weird.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by lezz(m): 6:09pm On Mar 08, 2016
RiloKiley:

Lol!
'sup, bro, but na true talk na.

Europe was far more advanced than Africa even when their women weren't working.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by bukatyne(f): 6:33pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

There's been an abuse of the word equality. There should be Gender EQUITY and not gender equality. In otherwords there should be fairness in treating both sexes, whiich is equity not equality.

And who determines 'equity'

Kudos to the people who at one point helped to Bette the lot of women.

Shame on women who worsened the lot of fellow women.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Chukzyfcb(m): 7:20pm On Mar 08, 2016
bukatyne:

And who determines 'equity'

Kudos to the people who at one point helped to Bette the lot of women.

Shame on women who worsened the lot of fellow women.
Who determines equity? It starts with you & I. If we are gearing towards a nation that will treat both gender with fairness then it starts with us and the character we instill in our children. You know why? Because THE MIND OF A CHILD IS WHERE THE REVOLUTION BEGINS
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by postmann: 7:23pm On Mar 08, 2016
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by postmann: 7:23pm On Mar 08, 2016
Don't mind the whyteman, he is the devil's slave and the greatest of hypocrites.

Woman's day? Good! I love women. They're irreplaceable and man's best company. But what do you mean by equality? By forcing banks and other top private firms to keep certain positions for women? Whatever happen to who the cap fits, let him/she wear it?

And why do America and 4 other countries still hold a veto power over 200 countries in the UN? Even after a majority vote, a single country like America or Britain can just override it for personal interest.

Follow the whyteman at your peril. Unless he has something to gain, he turns the other way. Gender equality is the plan of the devil. Tell me about gender equity.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by bukatyne(f): 7:59pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Who determines equity? It starts with you & I. If we are gearing towards a nation that will treat both gender with fairness then it starts with us and the character we instill in our children. You know why? Because THE MIND OF A CHILD IS WHERE THE REVOLUTION BEGINS

Maybe I was not clear.

You said it should be equality and not equity.

Who determines what is 'fair' for a person/gender?

1 Like

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:31pm On Mar 08, 2016
bukatyne:

Maybe I was not clear.

You said it should be equality and not equity.

Who determines what is 'fair' for a person/gender?
Hey Miss, you are mixing everything up. Frst I said EQUITY(fairness) not equality.
Then you asked who should determines what is fair for a person? And I said all of us, men and women ,we adults in general. Our young boys today will become tomorrow men! Even if you are not vibrant enough to voice your opinion in public. You have little kids around you, You have little cousins or nephews we can all start by teaching them how to be fair to one another! There is no rule anyway that says a woman cannot head a man in an office. Or a woman should earn in thousands & a man in millions. We all deserve to be treated fairly! And I don't support equality. Women are weaker sex, there are certain measures you don't dish out to a woman simply because she preaches women equality. Women who talk bout gender equality are most clamouring for a right to be arrogant and talk anyhow to fellow man because she feels they are equal. NO! If we respect one another, talks of feminism wouldn't even exist! EQUITY is the watchword, treat a woman as you would do yourself & vice-versa. But like I said, this doesn't mean a woman cannot head a department in an office or other higher positions.

3 Likes

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by nasha1(f): 8:50pm On Mar 08, 2016
[b]Women are the architects of their own misery. There will never be equal rights for women in employment, political positions, social ,educationAl and cultural sectors. Women are their own worst enemy , extremely judgemental of one another, envious and hardly supportive of one another. The men will always be dominant in all aspects ,until women learn to stop criticising and condemning each other they will never get to the top. Most of the most successful women in the world are 95% criticised and abused by WOMEN. I wonder the day we will have female governors and a female president , I am certainly sure women will vote her out. Only a woman with a low self esteem will judge another woman just to make herself feel good. A Queen supports and praises a Queen. Women will NEVER get what they truly deserve in this world unless they unite in love . Women are always the first to cast a stone . If you all could spend 80% of the time you spend on being little demons in another woman's life and be more productive and supportive , we will be more respected and valued in our society . #yougiveoutwhatyouget#stopthehatesisters.[/b]

i copied this from caroline instagram and many females celebrities endorsed it.i endorse this too especially with everything i read here on NL from women.Shame on women who are first 2 judge and pull their fellow women down because of difference of opinions.

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by bukatyne(f): 8:53pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Hey Miss, you are mixing everything up. Frst I said EQUITY(fairness) not equality.
Then you asked who should determines what is fair for a person? And I said all of us, men and women ,we adults in general. Our young boys today will become tomorrow men! Even if you are not vibrant enough to voice your opinion in public. You have little kids around you, You have little cousins or nephews we can all start by teaching them how to be fair to one another! There is no rule anyway that says a woman cannot head a man in an office. Or a woman should earn in thousands & a man in millions. We all deserve to be treated fairly! And I don't support equality. Women are weaker sex, there are certain measures you don't dish out to a woman simply because she preaches women equality. Women who talk bout gender equality are most clamouring for a right to be arrogant and talk anyhow to fellow man because she feels they are equal. NO! If we respect one another, talks of feminism wouldn't even exist! EQUITY is the watchword, treat a woman as you would do yourself & vice-versa. But like I said, this doesn't mean a woman cannot head a department in an office or other higher positions.

Sorry you are still not getting my point.

Anyways, all the best.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by bukatyne(f): 9:06pm On Mar 08, 2016
nasha1:
Women are the architects of their own misery. There will never be equal rights for women in employment, political positions, social ,educationAl and cultural sectors. Women are their own worst enemy , extremely judgemental of one another, envious and hardly supportive of one another. The men will always be dominant in all aspects ,until women learn to stop criticising and condemning each other they will never get to the top. Most of the most successful women in the world are 95% criticised and abused by WOMEN. I wonder the day we will have female governors and a female president , I am certainly sure women will vote her out. Only a woman with a low self esteem will judge another woman just to make herself feel good. A Queen supports and praises a Queen. Women will NEVER get what they truly deserve in this world unless they unite in love . Women are always the first to cast a stone . If you all could spend 80% of the time you spend on being little demons in another woman's life and be more productive and supportive , we will be more respected and valued in our society . #yougiveoutwhatyouget#stopthehatesisters

i copied this from caroline instagram and many females celebrities endorsed it.i endorse this too especially with everything i read here on NL from women.Shame on women who are first 2 judge and pull their fellow women down because of difference of opinions.

@Bold,

Lols!

Anyways, the message is much more important than the messager.

A nice post.
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:20pm On Mar 08, 2016
bukatyne:

Sorry you are still not getting my point.

Anyways, all the best.
The truth of the matter is you'v no point. You are looking for proofs to support gender-equality but the "koko" is that there is none. Even in our Nigerian constitution, there is no Fairness towards the men. YES! The same women shouting gender equality don't even knw that they are highly favoured.

1) According to the Nigerian constitution guiding rape offence, A woman cannot RAPE a man. Its not POSSIBLE according to our law .

2) According to the criminal code, fight between two men in public is seen as felony but between women its seen as a Misdemeanour(lesser offence)

3) According to labour act women are prohibited from any Night work be iit public or private attachment with exception to nurses only.
These are the ones I can remember, yet you think the Nigerian law is fair to us men. Smh!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by halfricanadian(f): 9:28pm On Mar 08, 2016
Im joining that list too soon

grin number 15 shd hold on im comin tru
Re: Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? by bukatyne(f): 10:23pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

The truth of the matter is you'v no point. You are looking for proofs to support gender-equality but the "koko" is that there is none. Even in our Nigerian constitution, there is no Fairness towards the men. YES! The same women shouting gender equality don't even knw that they are highly favoured.

1) According to the Nigerian constitution guiding rape offence, A woman cannot RAPE a man. Its not POSSIBLE according to our law .

2) According to the criminal code, fight between two men in public is seen as felony but between women its seen as a Misdemeanour(lesser offence)

3) According to labour act women are prohibited from any Night work be iit public or private attachment with exception to nurses only.
These are the ones I can remember, yet you think the Nigerian law is fair to us men. Smh!

Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

As Nigerians: Pregnant Daughter Or Gay Son? / Will You Be Happy About This As A Man. / 1 Year Old Pregnant With Baby (gabby Is This True)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.