Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos (27824 Views)

Alcohol Consumers In Akwa-Ibom To Pay Taxes / FG Earns N980bn From Taxes In Three Months / Traders, Artisans To Shut Anambra Today As FG Relocating 40 Bokoharam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by yemynzo(m): 5:05am On Mar 09, 2016
Lagos state govt I suggest u have a rethink cos dis is a really really wrong move.it's more or less like tightening a rope dat is already tight enough around d neck of d pple.

2 Likes

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by tonquendo4u(m): 5:07am On Mar 09, 2016
gabinogem:
Tax the religious centers not the poor... this Foolish government will not learn.
Gbam.U just sealed d whole matter.No more comments from anybody please.Case closed

1 Like

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by 989900: 5:08am On Mar 09, 2016
anonimi:

If the people don't pay TAX how will they increase their desire to have more accountability from the politicians?
If you pay someone to do a job, you are more likely to ensure he does a good job, not so? Unlike if someone else pays for the job on your behalf such as in Nigeria where we all share the Niger Delta oil revenue and are cool.

Another reasonable angle to look at it, plus they are paying just 1%.

P.S. The first astute comment I'll see you make; who hijacked your handle?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by 989900: 5:11am On Mar 09, 2016
anonimi:
The Chairman of the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS), Mr Olufolarin Ogunsanwo, should tell us how much the artistes, bloggers, politicians who announce their:

- N20 million watch
- N500 million mansion
- N80 million car

are paying as TAX.

That should be his focus as a start to expanding the tax net, not so
How can Linda Ikeji pay N6,000 tax for four years while buying N700 million mansion?
Surely that won't happen in the UK, Canada, USA where we are all running away to born pikin and/or work under-employed as SLAVES.

#wordwordword

P.S. Who hijacked your handle?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by gabinogem(m): 5:35am On Mar 09, 2016
arresa:

I do know you have backward mentality just like many backward people responsible for keeping Africa backward with their backward mentality..
cheesy good morning jor... I just wanted to confirm where ur pain is coming from. Now I know.

U need to relieve urself from this baggage of hatred. See a shrink.

I won't respond to ur 'hate' comments again. Cheers wink
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by Adminisher: 5:43am On Mar 09, 2016
gabinogem:
Tax the religious centers not the poor... this Foolish government will not learn.

Actually it is you that is foolish. If you tax the rich and poor according to the laws you have also taxed the religious centers. Think about it.
Christ does not need your money and he wants his servants (Pastors) very comfortable but not sinfully rich. If people paid correct taxes they wont be donating so high to church.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by jef131: 5:45am On Mar 09, 2016
Atlantian:
How can you tax the poor instead of providing them with welfare ?
b
Because the poor cannot defend himself due to lack of money to hire SAN to do so in court but the rich is their friends

2 Likes

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by gabinogem(m): 6:27am On Mar 09, 2016
Adminisher:

Actually it is you that is foolish. If you tax the rich and poor according to the laws you have also taxed the religious centers. Think about it.
Christ does not need your money and he wants his servants (Pastors) very comfortable but not sinfully rich. If people paid correct taxes they wont be donating so high to church.
well I believe u are one or aspiring to be one of the servants(pastors), hence u have to support where ur heart lies.

U & I know very well how religious people do whatever it takes to please their religious Gods even to the extent of killing themselves just to prove a point. People already pay indirect taxes(including the poor), now tell me what the government want to use the income tax of the poor for? Remember, we are currently providing basic amenities for ourselves.

If the government tax these religious bodies, it will certainly help greatly to improve the economy because currently religious centers are the only companies we have in Nigeria that are working effectively.

2 Likes

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by KissCODE(m): 6:52am On Mar 09, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

The GOVT and the Religious centers are one. Every failure of govt is an opportunity for God to perform a miracle through his holy men.

And Nigerians love miracles, and signs and wonders.
when ever nigerians write about miracles and other things that happen in the church we make it look like if nigerians are worst hit.
Tune in to TBN & see how Americans give & seek for miracles “stupidily.“ Nigerians are the most conservative woshipers all over the world. Weather christinans or muslems. Check out the level os fanaticsm in other Muslems contries you will know that Nigerians are not like anyother.

Talking about taxing the religious bodies. When u tax a church or a mosque, you are retaxing everybody who have paid before. Because it is still the same people who paid their income tax or whatever tax that contributed the money the church or the mosque has.
Religious bodies are charitable organisations & they dont pay tax in other countries.
But if a church or a mosque owns a school. The school pays tax or any levy government asks for.
Pastors, imams & alfas are individual they pay their taxes. Their pesonal and overhead taxes.

As for Lagos state and their NEW law.
This is a thank you gift from APC to the poor people who stood by them during the election.

The thing that is worst than DEATH in LIFE is insensitivity. When a government comes for the throath of the governed with a sword. It is so hurting. Especially when you had optiones and choose the one that kills you now.
Jimmy Agbaje would not have done this. Because as a business man, he knows how had it is to make money. But all these civil servants and politicians, they know nothing. Because salary makes a man levy.
Look at the hell el rufai is creating for Kaduna people...

Well lagosians asked for it... And here they have it... AMBODE TILL 2023
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by anonimi: 7:00am On Mar 09, 2016
989900:
#wordwordword

P.S. Who hijacked your handle?

You! How can you forget? grin
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by anonimi: 7:02am On Mar 09, 2016
ademoladeji:
It shall be WELL with you!!!

Amen. grin
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:07am On Mar 09, 2016
Aspireahead:

Gov Ayade To Exempt Low Income Earners From Tax Payment

Agency Report
— Aug 19, 2015 8:53 pm | Leave a comment

Gov. Ben Ayade of Cross River says he will sponsor an executive bill at the state House of Assembly to exempt low income earners and those at the minimum wage range from paying taxes.

Ayade announced this on Wednesday in Calabar during an interactive forum with newsmen.

He said that the bill was necessitated by the desire to address the plight of low income earners.

“A bill to exempt low income earners and those in the minimum wage level from paying tax will be sent to the state assembly today (Wednesday).

“We are doing this to ameliorate their plight because they have other financial obligations to attend to, and their income is very meagre.

“When you task a market woman who sells onions and tomatoes to pay tax, you are definitely taking away her profit and reducing the standard of her meagre business,’’ he said.

According to him, the bill will provide a social safety net to low income earners and raise their living standard.

He said that he would continue to fashion out ways of giving the core poor a sense of belonging.

“The tax exemption bill is meant to exempt the low income earners like `Okada’ riders, traders, barbers and other petty traders,” he explained.

The governor assured civil servants in the state of their welfare and prompt payment of salaries. (NAN)
compare

My take is that it is foolish for Ayade to seek to exempt citizens from paying tax. The fundamental premise is that taxes are civic responsibilities of EVERY citizen. Each person pays a fraction of his/her established income
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:12am On Mar 09, 2016
anonimi:
The Chairman of the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS), Mr Olufolarin Ogunsanwo, should tell us how much the artistes, bloggers, politicians who announce their:

- N20 million watch
- N500 million mansion
- N80 million car

are paying as TAX.

That should be his focus as a start to expanding the tax net, not so
How can Linda Ikeji pay N6,000 tax for four years while buying N700 million mansion?
Surely that won't happen in the UK, Canada, USA where we are all running away to born pikin and/or work under-employed as SLAVES.

1. Ignorance is written all over your submission.
2. The government should not be interested in "telling" you how much how the artistes, bloggers, politicians who announce their: N20 million watch, N500 million mansion, N80 million car" pay. They already have a means of collecting the LEGAL taxes from these people.
3. There's a difference between Linda Ikeji as a brand and as a person. Lagos State Internal Revenue are not stupid. Linde Ikeji's company will be taxed differently from her as a person. Linda Ikeji's Financial advisers would have advised her to pay herself a small salary and let the company should all her responsibilites. That she's done the smart thing unfortunately there's nothing anybody can do, provided she's within the ambit of the law

1 Like

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:14am On Mar 09, 2016
anonimi:

In Lagos state and the 35 states of Nigeria, the rich pay LESS tax if they pay at all. shocked

1. Conjectures.
2. Evidenced by what?
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by donodion(m): 7:17am On Mar 09, 2016
gabinogem:

2019 is not far away.Ambode is on his way out. Whoever advised him on this has helped him to lose coming election.
By the way why did APC presented such as a governor ( state chief administrator) candidate? This move will cost votes big time.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:18am On Mar 09, 2016
ademoladeji:
All Churches, Mosques, and shrines SHOULD/MUST pay tax if Lagos is to move forward!

Let all Directors in corporate firms too pay Tax...

It's so painful that over 13,000 is being deducted from my monthly take home (PAYE and Pension) buh the said amount isn't remitted into the Govt purse my by greedy employer... Not just me but the entirety of the staff.

The Govt needs to do smthg abt all organisations within the state.

Let me address this in two folds
1. Staffs in churches in Lagos pay (PAYE) taxes, even the pastors on the pay roll
2. Churches as an entity don't yet. It's difficult and knotty issue. Compel churches to pay taxes and these churches passes the tax burden to their congregation
I think Churches should pay taxes jare! maybe it will expose their undertable dealings and force them to be truly accountable. Besides it offers avenues to trace illicit funds that get to the church under the garb of "Tithes", "Seeds" and "Donations"

1 Like

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:22am On Mar 09, 2016
engrchykae:
This is a bad precedent.
Remember the French revolution,the poor were taxed heavily while the nobles revels at the palace at varssalles until ONE DAY the people changed France forever.
Imagine increasing the cost of running the fraudulent government while the poor bear the brunt.

and the "poor" in France today are not paying tax?
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by ademoladeji(m): 7:24am On Mar 09, 2016
mapet:

Let me address this in two folds
1. Staffs in churches in Lagos pay (PAYE) taxes, even the pastors on the pay roll
2. Churches as an entity don't yet. It's difficult and knotty issue. Compel churches to pay taxes and these churches passes the tax burden to their congregation
I think Churches should pay taxes jare! maybe it will expose their undertable dealings and force them to be truly accountable. Besides it offers avenues to trace illicit funds that get to the church under the garb of "Tithes", "Seeds" and "Donations"

I think EFCC shld visit the religious centres too.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:24am On Mar 09, 2016
CFCman:
Not sure if the LASG is pursuing the right policy. A lot of the people in the tax bracket may not declare their true income.

I guess the State is copying the American tax policy of taxing the lowest income earners 15%.

Bros,

There are ways in which government sieves the right information out. Even if you like declare wrong salaries. Forensic auditors will find you out and the penalties is worse.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:27am On Mar 09, 2016
maduck:
all the money collected by those "agberos " and union, both in the market and at almost every bustop in lagos, what are the moneies for.....
if it's not tax, then I wonder what it's for.

what you've stated here sparks counterintelligence. Illegal monies are not taxes and will be scrapped. Legal fees paid by NURTW are valid taxes and payables.. We are talking about vaild and legal means of income
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by ladyF(f): 7:30am On Mar 09, 2016
justmenoni:
So u be omo odo eyah abalajo
cry
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by mapet: 7:34am On Mar 09, 2016
linearity:
Something tells me that, the directorate setup to over see this endeavor will draw more funds from government confers than they will collect in taxes.

How dem go take calculate the tax liabilities of mama ego, who sells foods under eko bridge? What about the micro pure water business that Uncle Tom is running along mile 2 road?

This is another means of extortion of money from petty traders who can't afford to make ends meet and the extorted monies will end up in private pockets and accounts.

1. Wrong premise and wrong assumption. simple scale economics tells you that the share numbers of these people will make mince-meat of the effort
2. A typical mama Ego will first be registered and profiled. It will be established(on an average)from what she sells how much is the minimum she ought to make (even if she makes less). From this her tax bracket will be determined and the requisite taxes calculated.
3. Referring to paying taxes as another means of extortion is tantamount to being uninformed and crudely ignorant. Look at it like this, in a Face-me-I-face you house, where about 20 rooms share one meter, do they exempt someone from paying electricity bills because he's the poorest? Paying tax is the responsibility of every citizen
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by Chinwem(f): 7:40am On Mar 09, 2016
All the peanuts they are trying to get from a thousand poor people can be paid by taxing one rich person who by the way will not feel the effect as much.

What is wrong with this Ambode?
Dumb and dumber part 2.

Why can't he get sense?

1 Like

Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by adayism(m): 7:40am On Mar 09, 2016
Fools have they started paying their own tax?
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by Dom2020: 7:48am On Mar 09, 2016
how many housemates are being paid in this country? so this is the change, collecting from the poor, this present government is so unfriendly to the masses, maybe their aim is to eliminate the poor, rubbish.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by ajebuter(f): 7:49am On Mar 09, 2016
So, who is going to tax ambode for his proportionally-big head?
grin
grin
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 8:24am On Mar 09, 2016
A time is coming when what happened in France in 1789 will happen in Nigeria.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by contra(m): 8:26am On Mar 09, 2016
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by nativefowl(m): 8:27am On Mar 09, 2016
Aspireahead
but we crossriverians are yet to see or feel the governors promise. I.R. Agents of cross river state do tax us to pay them #3000 bribe before they asses and give us the tax bill.
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by habsydiamond(m): 8:45am On Mar 09, 2016
What can an house help offer the Govt other than tears. This lagos state govt na N.F.A.G oooo. NO FUTURE AMBITION GOVT
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by Leke001: 8:46am On Mar 09, 2016
idiots...have Lagos ever lacked money,and now you want to tax housemaids?
Re: Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos by vereniken: 8:54am On Mar 09, 2016
gabinogem:

Oga, if only you research more and think deeper....
Do you know the fad in lagos and some top cities right now? Well let me help you,they now employ foreigners such as Filipinos and they are paid in dollars...they are taxable and also...visit major private constructions across lagos and you will see sierra leoneans,togolese and beninoise...not nigerian...those are taxable as well....or they should be left alone to siphon our money to their countries?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sheikh Gumi Speaks On Zamfara Schoolgirls' Abduction / Anambra Governorship Election: Don Okonkwo Rooted For By Federation Igbo Youths / Can You Guess What Buhari Was Telling These States Governors In This Photo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.