Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,638 members, 7,955,318 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:33 PM

Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured (21416 Views)

Anambra Election Will Hold If Nigeria Is Restructured Before October 1 - Kanu / Why Nigeria Cannot Be Restructured – IPOB / Emir Sanusi's Wife, Sa’adatu Barkindo-Musdafa, Revealed (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by nagoma(m): 6:39pm On Mar 11, 2016
dungburu:
I love the speech any way despite the speaker being an hypocrite. Democracy is never a good system of government for Nigeria. Democracy can not work in a country with cultural, religion and ethnic differences.

Take a look at countries where democracy thrives, you will discover that they have the qualities that would make democratic government successful.

Untill we get it right, we will be chasing shadow instead of the substance.

Sorry you have not said anything logical, democracy should work despite differences.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by hollywater: 6:47pm On Mar 11, 2016
sweetgala:

Child bride! Where did you hear that Sanusi has married a child bride. Jeez people
What is the difference between someone who married a child bride and the one who supported it?
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by Aawizdom(m): 6:53pm On Mar 11, 2016
hollywater:
Wicked tradition that allows you to kidnapped someone's daughter raped and impregnate her you mean?
U really dont knw whats u are saying, there is criminality in every tradition if not all, so stop integrating such with tradition or Faith.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by Aawizdom(m): 6:57pm On Mar 11, 2016
hollywater:
What is the difference between someone who married a child bride and the one who supported it?
How did he supported it, did u hear him advocate or endorse any?

2 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 11, 2016
ZKOSOSO:
Any type of restructuring that would not include State police, fiscal federalism, regional economic independence/autonomy and return to full secular constitution is nothing but regular hypocrisy of Northern Oligarchy.
We want genuine restructure. Not the ungrateful parasitism.

1000 Likes but Mod fit ban me if I give him all at once.
Well said.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by divineappo(m): 7:22pm On Mar 11, 2016
I partially buy sanusi's idea of reducing the number of states in nigeria, but the issue is that, the southeast will use d opportunity to jointly unite and call their state "biafra".
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by Dollyak(f): 7:44pm On Mar 11, 2016
Kennydoc:

So Nigeria should have 2 or 3 states?
Did you also consider the population of Nigeria which is more than half of America's?
I did consider the population... Nigeria shouldn't have more than 10 tbh. There are many efficient ways to go about this.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by hollywater: 7:48pm On Mar 11, 2016
Aawizdom:
How did he supported it, did u hear him advocate or endorse any?
I didn't even check your moniker before, now that i did, needless of talking to you. Do me a favour and stop quoting me.We don't share the same ideas at all.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by Mbediogu(m): 7:59pm On Mar 11, 2016
No one listening. That is the problem.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by jamjo: 8:42pm On Mar 11, 2016
ogododo:
The bloated size of governments at different levels of Nigeria’s political system is unsustainable, and the country urgently needs restructuring to make any appreciable development, the Emir of Kano, Lamido Sanusi, said Thursday.
Mr. Sanusi, who was speaking at the inaugural lecture and launching of a N250 million endowment fund for the Oba Sikiru Adetona Professorial Chair in Governance, Department of Political Science, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, said it should be obvious to everyone that the country can no longer afford to maintain the number of political office holders in the country, especially in the face of current economic downturn.
“If you really reflect on the problems of this country, it seems to turn common sense on its head,” he said.
“You sometimes wonder if anyone needs to tell any group of people that if you are a poor country, you do not need 36 governors, 36 deputy governors, with members of house of assembly, commissioners and advisers, Special assistants, a president, a vice president, 36 ministers, special advisers, federal legislature and so on.
“Simple arithmetic will tell you that if you have that structure, you are first of all doomed to spending 80 or 90 per cent of everything you earn maintaining public officers. It is really common sense but it seems to be a problem for us to understand it,” he added.
The emir called for a reform of the country’s political system to encourage a lean government to save resources for projects that benefit the people.
“If you don’t free up the resources and put them up for capital projects, you are laying the foundation of what we are seeing today. We need to have structural reform.

“Kano State today is much smaller than Kano emirate, because there are two other emirates in Dutse and Ringim which were carved out from what was the Kano emirate just to create a new state. There are two governors in Kano and Jigawa, two deputy governors, maybe 40 members of the House of Assembly, 40 commissioners and advisers, 70 local governments, chairman and councillors but for nine years, Governor Audu Bako with nine commissioners, one governors and nine commissioner managed the entire territory and they were doing much better services than we are doing now. Is it not time to face reality?”
“Awuff” society
Also, the guest speaker of the lecture, Akin Mabogunje, a professor of urban and regional development, while delivering a lecture titled: “Issues and Challenges of Governance in Nigeria”, said the abundance of free oil money has created a culture of imprudent spending by successive governments.
He said this free money which he described with the pidgin English term “awuff”, encouraged laziness and corruption in the polity.
“[Awuff] is a word used commonly in pidgin English to signify “free” money or unearned income which is not the product of a person’s labour and therefore can be squandered or spent imprudently,” he explained.
“In applying it to governance, it is meant to describe a situation in which fiscal resources accrues to government not from tax revenue assiduously and diligently collected from citizens but from royalties and rent from the exploitation of mineral resources particularly petroleum which can therefore be squandered, spent imprudently or unaccountably or simply misappropriated into personal accounts.”
He said instead of the government to invest the oil windfall of the 1970s, it declared a bazaar for civil servants who spent the money on expensive household items.
He explained that the “awuff” mentality festered and led to a culture of corruption and lack of accountability, fest in the public sector but later spreading to every part of our national life.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/199943-emir-sanusi-wants-nigeria-restructured.html

I agreed with him totally that Nigeria need total restructuring , that was why i put up some suggestions on this forum titled "THE BEST WAY GOING FORWARD FOR NIGERIA" months back . On that write up i outlined some ideas i maybe wrong but i think it will be good for our country .

1) Let divide Nigeria into six regions .
2) Allow regionalism and resources control where the six regions will take 60% and the federal 40%.
3) consolidate the ministries to six ministries, both in the regions and federal levels.
4) Dissolve either the senate or the house representative.
5) Introduce two party systems.
6) From each party allow them to select one young and brilliant men/women not our old recycled politicians from each region that will stand for their parties for an election every six years.
7) After the election, the party that win, will form a government with the six individuals that was appointed from each region, and will be given each portfolio as ministers .
cool Now every year from the six ministers one will be appointed as the president, to be rotate every year for six years in that way all region will produce a president.
9) Let this to be replicated to regional level and do away with local government
10) To form the parliament or legislature whatever name you want to use, each region to be divided into six zones, for each zone to elect a legislature which will represent their zone in the federal level , that will bring the number to thirty six.
11) The government have to be designed to be unattractive for politicians who their main purpose of going into politics is to steal , By doing so that will enable Nigerians elect brilliant men/women who have Nigerian at hart. Now how do you make government to be unattractive, 1. Allowance=There will be no housing, car, furniture, clothing allowance, the only allowance will be health insurance and your salary, housing, car will be provided just bring whatever you want to bring from your housing and after six years take your personal belongs things you bought with your own money and go. 2 No overseas hospital visit with Nigeria money.3 No housing of any kind to our legislators we will pay them as civil servant and will be provide securities only in their offices or on government duties.
I honestly believe if we can looking into this suggestions this will be what Nigeria need at this critical time in our history. Make changes if there is a need to do so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by gowaga68: 8:52pm On Mar 11, 2016
moderatorr:
His opinion appears good but biased. The example he gave was to merge nearby states with Kano.
He is Emir of Kano, seems he wants to have more states under his emirate.

You missed it. Ado was the brain behind the creation of Jigawa to remove the other Emirates from Kano so as to be the only Emir withing Kano. Well, you don't know how things are run in the palace so no need of educating you.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by gowaga68: 8:53pm On Mar 11, 2016
donestk:
Reduce ur child brides
How much is it?
I.B.B gave out his sometimes ago for just N50k.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by grandstar(m): 9:23pm On Mar 11, 2016
Sunky200:

california is as big as the whole of west africa

back to the topic, the emir's idea is within reason but not visible

there will be everest objections from all regions and all holders of those public offices
california isn't even as big as Nigeria. The only US state larger than Nigeria is Alaska

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by sweetgala(m): 9:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
hollywater:

Where is this proof of him.having supported such an act , be sure from all indications the failure of the police command and the sharia council to act on the recommendation of his Emirates council is not the cross if the emir bear.

His council sent a letter in response to the sharia concils request to grant his blessing in the marriage and he denounced the union based on the lack of consent of the parents and the age of the bride. This was before the social media frenzy.

So before you start spewing thrash inform yourself
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by str8talk1: 9:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
REGIONAL SYSTEM of govt. and RESOURCE CONTROL is d only way out.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by mandax: 10:12pm On Mar 11, 2016
emiwanlee:
This guy started the hatred for jonathsn by saying there was money missing which was a lie. We did not know that he was paving way for a complete animal to become president for tribalistic reasons.

It's only the self-acclaimed most Shophischicated tribe in Nigeria that did not know that Sanusi was telling lies about missing NNPC money in other to pave way for a northern president to replace Jonathan.

Sanusi calling for restructuring: restructuring Nigeria must be in form of return to Fiscal federalism with regional government system. Any restructuring short of that is blowing in the wind.

Anyhow, the effect of Biafra struggle is gradually robbing off on people who used to believe that a country Nigeria was created to remained indivisible.

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by mandax: 10:21pm On Mar 11, 2016
This is not promoting Biafra on Nl, but it's only a deaf and dumb who cannot observe that the effect of Biafra struggle is already moving mountains.

Northerners who used their military dictators to proliferate twenty states and hundreds of local government councils in the north in order to suck up oil revenues up north are now gradually yielding to political restructuring which southerners have been begging for all the years, but northern Nigeria kept deaf ears.

Without restructuring Nigeria, not even all the forces of the super powers can make one Nigeria last for longer than end of this decade.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by hollywater: 10:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
sweetgala:

Where is this proof of him.having supported such an act , be sure from all indications the failure of the police command and the sharia council to act on the recommendation of his Emirates council is not the cross if the emir bear.

His council sent a letter in response to the sharia concils request to grant his blessing in the marriage and he denounced the union based on the lack of consent of the parents and the age of the bride. This was before the social media frenzy.

So before you start spewing thrash inform yourself
Keep defending evil very soon it will knock at your door. You expect me to believe this thrash you wrote out here, than the statement of the Child Mother i guess.
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by AgbenuAnna(f): 10:47pm On Mar 11, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]
bamite:
He's saying the truth though. I wonder what you girls come to look for in political threads
to look for you
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by tefund(m): 7:07am On Mar 12, 2016
He Has Been Saying It ,take The Message Ignore The Messenger
Re: Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria Restructured by sweetgala(m): 9:46am On Mar 12, 2016
hollywater:
Keep defending evil very soon it will knock at your door. You expect me to believe this thrash you wrote out here, than the statement of the Child Mother i guess.

And how can the conclusion if the highly emotional mother be taken as proof of what is not when a letter exists dating back that says otherwise.

Please shut up and I'll counter your ill placed threats that the possibility of bearing false witness has a great consequence on a person, wait till someone looks you in your eye and say they saw you do what you in your heart know you didn't.

I've taken time to examine the evidence before me, a failure of the police force and the department of women and children is evident here. The emirs council refused to consent to the marriage and immediately instructed the DG to hand over the girl to the appropriate authorities, it is evident that the chair of the sharia court thought otherwise; why needs to be established and the DG who refused to notify the department of women's and children.

You are even more stupid to think that the emir of kano who has over 3 million subjects would spend his time obstructing justice just so a poor fellow whom he has no relation to can marry a girl of low consequence or repute.

It's time we start building institutions who defend our rights rather than this temperamental and emotionally faulty social media venture activism

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration / "I Will Never Return To PDP" - Olusegun Obasanjo / Senator Shehu Sani Gifts Toyota Corolla To Constituency Member - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.