Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,907 members, 7,824,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. (21815 Views)

9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. / Dollar Scarcity: Banks Suspend ATM Card Usage Abroad / Top 7 ATM Card Safety Tips You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:
Is it actually possible for someone to carry out transactions on your atm card without knowing or using your pin or token? If so how?
Yes, it's very possible though they won't be able to collect cash from atm, they can use it for online purchase. All what they need is the numbers written at the front of your card and the 3-digits number at the back of your card. That's why it's not advisable to give somebody your card even if they don't know your pin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 12, 2016
There's always a number that comes with ur alerts incase transaction isn't iniatiated by u, u shud have called that number immediately u got the alerts.

FYI u don't need to write a letter to block a card, just request for a new one and the old one will be blocked automatically, you took things for granted.

Don't post all ur banking details on soc media, its a stupid thing to do, besides it won't make u popular.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by MaBuk(f): 1:48pm On Mar 12, 2016
Can't Nairaland moderators help him edit his details as it's obvious the OP is ignorant with all these information he has given
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Zico0(m): 1:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
nairamaverick:
someone is using your card to pay for facebook ads, you can contact fb about the issue, they might give you the of fb page or even page admin, and they will ban the account.
Sorry, please, how can one pay for facebook ads with an ATM card, biko?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by sexaddict08(m): 1:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
Angelou:
Take heart bros, if you fit just vex resign from that ur wirkpkace make u recommended me as replacement e for gud, at least buhari go pay u 5k as an unemployed graduate and in 4 mths tym u go don gather your stolen money back

why you come mumu like this
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by yomalex(m): 2:03pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:
Is it actually possible for someone to carry out transactions on your atm card without knowing or using your pin or token? If so how?
all that is needed is the card number, expiry date, Security 3 digits at the back of card(don't know why NL is changing c.v.v to onions) number at the back of Card, some sites do not require pin as evidenced in this case

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by fashrola(m): 2:06pm On Mar 12, 2016
twinskenny:
How do they get your pin...

There's no need for pin... since he's not withdrawing... I know uve been purchasing some stuff on aliexpress and online....

First the OP said he had his business card in his wallet, so the criminal must have used the details for filling the form online like the OP's address and name must have been on his business card and the CC number, Expiry date and C...V and Voila!!!

He only needs PIN if he's withdrawing cash from ATM or for quickteller transaction... hence the alternative way to use the card for buying Facebook ads..

@OP, thank ur God say the thief no carry ur card shop for Samsung Curve TV grin
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by rollydex: 2:12pm On Mar 12, 2016
Thieves that are IT gurus, Ekpan (Delta) will only remove the money and throw the other contents away. Ekpan boys rubbed me I did not even go to the bank for the next a month and only getting credit. They don't know anything in computer
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Angelou(m): 2:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
sexaddict08:

why you come mumu like this
na only my fellow mumu like u fit know say i be mumu
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by nairamaverick(m): 2:16pm On Mar 12, 2016
Zico0:

Sorry, please, how can one pay for facebook ads with an ATM card, biko?
you link your card(master/visa) or Paypal account to Facebook or you think Facebook ads are free?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by nairamaverick(m): 2:20pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:

Very possible not all transaction require token or pin.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Zico0(m): 2:23pm On Mar 12, 2016
nairamaverick:
you link your card(master/visa) or Paypal account to Facebook or you think Facebook ads are free?

I have a firstbank naira MasterCard. How can I link it to facebook?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by nairamaverick(m): 2:26pm On Mar 12, 2016
Zico0:

I have a firstbank naira MasterCard. How can I link it to facebook?
you to have a Facebook page for whatever you want to advertise, then go ahead to create an advert.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by JimloveTM(m): 2:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
One has to be extrememly careful these days
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by persius555(m): 3:22pm On Mar 12, 2016
Seems Ops facebook account was hacked and his ATM credentials was used to enable social media platform banking. It seems social media banking does not require the use of PIN for authentication (somebody should confirm).
We shouldn't blame the bank this time, the customer should have blocked the account on time.

Another security loophole in the banking system.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by mavinc4u(f): 3:27pm On Mar 12, 2016
ayokanmi3:
Sigh.... just want to share this as a way to help some of us to always take due precaution at all instance....

It all started last week friday when I travelled down to ibadan to attend a meeting on behalf of my work-place.. While in the city I misplaced my wallet via a taxi I boarded which contain(wallet) few thousands of naira, my 2 ATM cards, id cards, and my business cards..

Got back to lagos and continued work... Had intentin to visit the bank to request for a new card but I was still of the opinion that the supposedly "good samaritan" who will be in possession of the wallet will contact me to return it since I have all my details in it.. but it was the opposite; as on wednesday I got an alert of a debit of about 4k for a facebook transcation at first I thought it was from my personal facebook account; sent a mail to facebook but they told me it wasnt connected to my account.. so was supposed to go to the bank to make the complain but workload at work was heavy on me so I couldnt visit the bank not until thursday morning when I saw two consecutive debits that was when I realised I was been exploited; asked for permission and went straight ahead to the bank, on getting to the banking hall saw another about 5k debit, calmly told the customer care representative to block my account but she said I will have to write a letter to that effect first... chai, I yelled uncontrollably at her trying to explain what happened thats when she quickly blocked the account first which after I wrote the letter...

Now in all the supposedly thief got away with about 22k, could be more than that if I had waited even for few seconds all due to my negligence... So in all, lesson learnt for me already and lesson to everyone; always do well to BLOCK your ATM card(s) if misplaced for any reason...

Lastly, a freind was telling me that I can trace the facebook account.. Dont know if anybody knows how that work. Thanks......
Attached is the various alert debit(from my mail)
Since the money was used online, collect charge back form from your bank to initiate unauthorized transaction dispute.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Fourwinds: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2016
sosilly4b:
With all the details you have posted here, you might not be far from another attack. Go and learn how to crop pictures for online posting so you do no reveal too much details.
d guy look mumucious...look at his details e posted again..

if I were him., I would have blocked dat account in Ibadan even before going for dat meeting not to talk of coming to Lagos before taking action
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ajog1: 4:44pm On Mar 12, 2016
gungab:

I wonder how it's possible without the otp
it is
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ayokanmi3(m): 5:19pm On Mar 12, 2016
Caracta:
You are really not smart. See all your details here.

Very easy to get other details about you. NL has your full name, your bank, few digits of your account (quite easy to figure out the rest). NL knows if it's a savings or current account. NL knows you are on Facebook. Smh.

Mr Ayokanmi Oyeyemi, you misplaced important items and it took you how many days to lodge a complaint? You could email facebook but you couldn't email your bank? You couldn't call the customer care line or send a short code to block your debit card(s).

Just be glad it's not your entire life savings. With the news going around about card theft and scams, I'm surprised someone could still be passive and not 'sharp' about it.

Wow... Thank you... Firstly, my account name and few details of the account no shouldnt be the problem here... Atleast have seen people posting account details on social media for business transactions case.. I happened to be a medical consultant that organised trainings for people and so on several cases have posted my account details online on social media while trying to urge my "potential clients" to subscribe to the training and so make the necessary payment....Also I immediately mailed my bank but they didnt act on it.. Anyway, thank you very much
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ayokanmi3(m): 5:23pm On Mar 12, 2016
VickyRotex:
Awwww. Sorry about that. Good thing you learnt your lesson.

Yes you can trace it. And next time, please dont put up all your details here. It's very risky.
Unethical Hackers can permutate to get your account number with that. You can delete the pictures or blur those sections out.

Wow... alright... Thanks... sure, but what happened to all those who post account details on social media for business transactions... dont they hack it?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ayokanmi3(m): 5:27pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:

Me too didnt know b4 ooo.... The main reason am actually posting this as many people dont know about it
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ayokanmi3(m): 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2016
tuscani:
You can still do something about it. Start by contacting your bank with the details. also contact face book about the transaction, then if your card is a Master or visa, you will have to contact those merchants as well.
EVEN IF SOME ONE TELL YOU THAT ALL THESE SUGGESTION WILL NOT WORK, JUST TRY THEM, AND SEE THE OUTCOME FOR YOURSELF.

Wow... Thank you... best comment have got so far... just did that now

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ayokanmi3(m): 5:40pm On Mar 12, 2016
Otsealu1:
@Ope, this shows how smart you really are. With all these details you are not safe at all, or where you thinking nairaland is full of saints? For your info, with all these ur account details one can still dupe you. You are just lucky the person that picked your ATM is soneone like you, not smart if not na blank account you for see.. Thank ur stars and be wise

Ohhh... thank you ma. . How?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ayokanmi3(m): 5:40pm On Mar 12, 2016
Otsealu1:
@Ope, this shows how smart you really are. With all these details you are not safe at all, or where you thinking nairaland is full of saints? For your info, with all these ur account details one can still dupe you. You are just lucky the person that picked your ATM is soneone like you, not smart if not na blank account you for see.. Thank ur stars and be wise

Ohhh... thank you ma. . but How?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Enosas(m): 5:42pm On Mar 12, 2016
To all nairalanders immediately you misplace your atm card quickly place a call or go to internet banking to hotlist d card to avoid unnecessary debits.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by scobyy2007: 6:09pm On Mar 12, 2016
Unfortunately I agree with you shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Caracta:
You are really not smart. See all your details here.

Very easy to get other details about you. NL has your full name, your bank, few digits of your account (quite easy to figure out the rest). NL knows if it's a savings or current account. NL knows you are on Facebook. Smh.

Mr Ayokanmi Oyeyemi, you misplaced important items and it took you how many days to lodge a complaint? You could email facebook but you couldn't email your bank? You couldn't call the customer care line or send a short code to block your debit card(s).

Just be glad it's not your entire life savings. With the news going around about card theft and scams, I'm surprised someone could still be passive and not 'sharp' about it.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by scobyy2007: 6:10pm On Mar 12, 2016
no love grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
hulkhiharitoz:
Today is my birthday guys . show some love grin
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by bloodred(f): 6:11pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:

Some sites don't need pin. Just the card number, name, expiry date and 3 digit code behind. These details are on the card. Especially all those social media websites & appstores.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Lamexx(m): 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:

This Op sef grin
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Lamexx(m): 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2016
pankere:

Permit me to say that the Op was very foolish. As soon as u lose ur ATM card, you call the bank customer care to block your account. You don't even need to go to the bank. Just go online and copy their customer care number and call them.

Back to your question, yes I don't need to know your pin before I make transaction with your card online. All you need to make purchases online on international merchant sites like Ebay is the name on the front of the card, the card number on the front of the card, the expiring date of the card and the three digit Security number behind the card. So if you are in the habit of doing "big man" and giving ur ATM card to someone else to make withdrawal, you are at risk of an online card fraud and trust me you cannot sue the bank then. They will simply deny you that's why you are asked to protect your card and card details

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by jomarick(m): 8:26pm On Mar 12, 2016
Security tip from me, memorize or write down ur CCV elsewhere and then scratch it off ur atm card.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saloon Or Viewing Centre / Users Of ATM Will No Longer Pay N100 On Withdrawals - CBN / Money Gram Exchange Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.