Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . (8107 Views)

Superman Soldier Spotted In North East Battle Ground / Distance From Daura To Ogoniland / How Come People From North And South West Are Not Threatening To Leave Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by ezeagu(m): 10:31pm On Jul 26, 2009
Ibime:

Whoever thought that democracy could thrive in the jungle?

The problem we have in Naija is the propagation of the Fulani power structure onto the whole of Naija.

Which has reached its dusk.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by rhymz(m): 12:45am On Jul 27, 2009
From most of the posts I ve read on this thread,i realy am amazed at the grasp of history and quality of the arguements from Afam,ikeyman,Face,ibime and most especially Dede1,I realy respect the way U put things in perspectives.This group ve shown what is alwayz lacking in discussions on NL,intellectually based arguement with moderate facts and logic.Obviously,U can tell when an un-intelligent kid is debating,it's usually a catastrophic mix of unfounded hear-say,bad language construction and uncouth language and majority of the responses to this group's arguements are from such kids.Am not even going to talk about thier bias cos if they can atleast convey it in a way that is succinct and void of stupid childish temper tantrums one can take them seriously.As for the poster,it's funny that U re not capable of intellectual indulgence and yet U try too hard to make urself look like one,what is the need of make claims to which U ve no proves.Lol,Dede1 is Ur antidote, Hahahahaha, U thought U could ve a smooth sale and dazzle Ur fellow small minds by churning out fabricationz and lies U stumbled onto,but the likes of Dede1,Afam,ibime,Face,Emeka aloy etc ve cut U to size,for a fact,U wowed small mindz like urself.I expect U not to reply to thier counter arguements cos obviously U don't any answerz to things U know little or nothing about.The only ppl who will see things through Ur jaundiced eyes re Ur fellow small minds,U ve already wowed them,U can't stop now and make sure U don't respond to this post cos i ve not directly or indirectly asked U to prove Ur lies they re Ur opiniönz,use them,eat them do what U like with them, afterall,they re only useful to U.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by rhymz(m): 1:00am On Jul 27, 2009
From most of the posts I ve read on this thread,i realy am amazed at the grasp of history and quality of the arguements from Afam,ikeyman,Face,ibime and most especially Dede1,I realy respect the way U put things in perspectives.This group ve shown what is alwayz lacking in discussions on NL,intellectually based arguements with moderate facts and logic.Obviously,U can tell when an un-intelligent kid is debating,it's usually a catastrophic mix of unfounded hear-say,bad language construction and d use of uncouth language and majority of the responses to this group's arguements are from such kids.Am not even going to talk about thier bias cos if they can atleast convey it in a way that is succinct and void of stupid childish temper tantrums one can take them seriously.As for the poster,it's funny that U re not capable of intellectual indulgence and yet U try too hard to make urself look like one,what is the need of making claims to which U ve no proves.Lol,Dede1 is Ur antidote, Hahahahaha, U thought U could ve a smooth sail and dazzle Ur fellow small minds by churning out fabricationz and lies U stumbled onto which also got U wowed but the likes of Dede1,Afam,ibime,Face,Emeka aloy etc ve cut U to size,for a fact,U wowed small mindz like urself.I expect U not to reply to thier counter arguements cos obviously U don't ve any answerz to things U know little or nothing about.The only ppl who will see things through Ur jaundiced eyes re Ur fellow small minds,U ve already wowed them,U can't stop now and make sure U don't respond to this post cos i ve not directly or indirectly asked U to prove Ur lies they re Ur opiniönz,use them,eat them do what U like with them, afterall,they re only useful to U.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by larez(m): 2:03am On Jul 27, 2009
rhymz:

From most of the posts I ve read on this thread,i realy am amazed at the grasp of history and quality of the arguements from Afam,ikeyman,Face,ibime and most especially Dede1,I realy respect the way U put things in perspectives.This group ve shown what is alwayz lacking in discussions on NL,intellectually based arguements with moderate facts and logic.Obviously,U can tell when an un-intelligent kid is debating,it's usually a catastrophic mix of unfounded hear-say,bad language construction and d use of uncouth language and majority of the responses to this group's arguements are from such kids.Am not even going to talk about thier bias cos if they can atleast convey it in a way that is succinct and void of stupid childish temper tantrums one can take them seriously.As for the poster,it's funny that U re not capable of intellectual indulgence and yet U try too hard to make urself look like one,what is the need of making claims to which U ve no proves.Lol,Dede1 is Ur antidote, Hahahahaha, U thought U could ve a smooth sail and dazzle Ur fellow small minds by churning out fabricationz and lies U stumbled onto which also got U wowed but the likes of Dede1,Afam,ibime,Face,Emeka aloy etc ve cut U to size,for a fact,U wowed small mindz like urself.I expect U not to reply to thier counter arguements cos obviously U don't ve any answerz to things U know little or nothing about.The only ppl who will see things through Ur jaundiced eyes re Ur fellow small minds,U ve already wowed them,U can't stop now and make sure U don't respond to this post cos i ve not directly or indirectly asked U to prove Ur lies they re Ur opiniönz,use them,eat them do what U like with them, afterall,they re only useful to U.

Geeze, how blatant can these follow follow people get. Suddenly after complimenting Negro_Nts, they wake up with the idea of complimenting each other. I am here laughing hard. Isn't this parallel with the reasons they despise Yorubas? Here is a guy seriously lacking in the understanding of basic English, obviously lacking any comprehension, yet bold enough to talk about intellect. Question is if his IQ will even register on any sort of scale. The irony here is clear. If a guy like this complements that party, we can tell what level of intelligence is being displayed. These guys obviously have a hidden crush for the Yorubas and will copy every step that we take. This is very flattering.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by larez(m): 2:13am On Jul 27, 2009
Here is some information that I find interesting. Note that this source is dated 1991. I mention this date to stress the importance of time-frame. It is most probably less biased because it has not been tainted by the polluted information now being spread after the Internet hit Naija. I will advise that people read more from this source because it basically summarizes Nigerian history in the views of the Western world. You will find information regarding various tribal affiliations of Nigeria as well. Here is the link: http://www.country-data.com/cgi-bin/query/r-9333.html

Nigeria
[size=14pt]Yoruba Kingdoms and Benin[/size]

As far as historical memory extends, the Yoruba have been the dominant group on the west bank of the Niger. Of mixed origin, they were the product of the assimilation of periodic waves of migrants who evolved a common language and culture. The Yoruba were organized in patrilineal descent groups that occupied village communities and subsisted on agriculture, but from about the eleventh century A.D., adjacent village compounds, called ile, began to coalesce into a number of territorial citystates in which loyalties to the clan became subordinate to allegiance to a dynastic chieftain. This transition produced an urbanized political and social environment that was accompanied by a high level of artistic achievement, particularly in terracotta and ivory sculpture and in the sophisticated metal casting produced at Ife. The brass and bronze used by Yoruba artisans was a significant item of trade, made from copper, tin, and zinc either imported from North Africa or from mines in the Sahara and northern Nigeria.

The Yoruba placated a luxuriant pantheon headed by an impersonal deity, Olorun, and included lesser deities, some of them formerly mortal, who performed a variety of cosmic and practical tasks. One of them, Oduduwa, was regarded as the creator of the earth and the ancestor of the Yoruba kings. According to a creation myth, Oduduwa founded the city of Ife and dispatched his sons to establish other cities, where they reigned as priest-kings and presided over cult rituals. Formal traditions of this sort have been interpreted as poetic illustrations of the historical process by which Ife's ruling dynasty extended its authority over Yorubaland. The stories were attempts to legitimize the Yoruba monarchies--after they had supplanted clan loyalties--by claiming divine origin.

Ife was the center of as many as 400 religious cults whose traditions were manipulated to political advantage by the oni (king) in the days of the kingdom's greatness. Ife also lay at the center of a trading network with the north. The oni supported his court with tolls levied on trade, tribute exacted from dependencies, and tithes due him as a religious leader. One of Ife's greatest legacies to modern Nigeria is its beautiful sculpture associated with this tradition.

The oni was chosen on a rotating basis from one of several branches of the ruling dynasty, which was composed of a clan with several thousand members. Once elected, he went into seclusion in the palace compound and was not seen again by his people. Below the oni in the state hierarchy were palace officials, town chiefs, and the rulers of outlying dependencies. The palace officials were spokesmen for the oni and the rulers of dependencies who had their own subordinate officials. All offices, even that of the oni, were elective and depended on broad support within the community. Each official was chosen from among the eligible clan members who had hereditary right to the office. Members of the royal dynasty often were assigned to govern dependencies, while the sons of palace officials assumed lesser roles as functionaries, bodyguards to the oni, and judges.

During the fifteenth century, Oyo and Benin surpassed Ife as political and economic powers, although Ife preserved its status as a religious center even after its decline. Respect for the priestly functions of the oni of Ife and recognition of the common tradition of origin were crucial factors in the evolution of Yoruba ethnicity. The oni of Ife was recognized as the senior political official not only among the Yoruba but also at Benin, and he invested Benin's rulers with the symbols of temporal power.

The Ife model of government was adapted at Oyo, where a member of its ruling dynasty consolidated several smaller citystates under his control. A council of state, the Oyo Mesi, eventually assumed responsibility for naming the alafin (king) from candidates proposed from the ruling dynasty and acted as a check on his authority. Oyo developed as a constitutional monarchy; actual government was in the hands of the basorun (prime minister), who presided over the Oyo Mesi. The city was situated 170 kilometers north of Ife, and about 100 kilometers north of present-day Oyo. Unlike the forest-bound Yoruba kingdoms, Oyo was in the savanna and drew its military strength from its cavalry forces, which established hegemony over the adjacent Nupe and the Borgu kingdoms and thereby developed trade routes farther to the north (see fig. 2).

[PDF]

Figure 2. Yorubaland, Eleventh to Nineteenth Centuries established agricultural community in the Edo-speaking area, east of Ife, when it became a dependency of Ife at the beginning of the fourteenth century. By the fifteenth century, it took an independent course and became a major trading power in its own right, blocking Ife's access to the coastal ports as Oyo had cut off the mother city from the savanna. Political power and religious authority resided in the oba (king), who according to tradition was descended from the Ife dynasty. The oba was advised by a council of six hereditary chiefs, who also nominated his successor. Benin, which may have housed 100,000 inhabitants at its height, spread over twenty-five square kilometers that were enclosed by three concentric rings of earthworks. Responsibility for administering the urban complex lay with sixty trade guilds, each with its own quarter, whose membership cut across clan affiliations and owed its loyalty directly to the oba. At his wooden, steepled palace, the oba presided over a large court richly adorned with brass, bronze, and ivory objects. Like Ife and the other Yoruba states, Benin, too, is famous for its sculpture.

Unlike the Yoruba kingdoms, however, Benin developed a centralized regime to oversee the administration of its expanding territories. By the late fifteenth century, Benin was in contact with Portugal (see European Slave Trade in West Africa , this ch.). At its apogee in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, Benin even encompassed parts of southeastern Yorubaland and the small Igbo area on the western bank of the Niger. Dependencies were governed by members of the royal family who were assigned several towns or villages scattered throughout the realm, rather than a block of territory that could be used as a base for revolt against the oba.

As is evident from this brief survey, Yoruba and Benin history were interconnected. In fact, areas to the west of Nigeria, in the modern Republic of Benin, were also closely associated with this history, both in the period before 1500 and afterward.

Data as of June 1991
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by larez(m): 2:26am On Jul 27, 2009
Here is my opinion so far as I now immerse myself into learning about the History of Nigeria:

The current climate of Nigeria is clearly affected by traditions of the various cultures. It awakens curiosity to note the historical social structures and ways of life, and reflect them in the current trends of thoughts from the various regions. I can see some uncanny resemblance in the general attitudes of the political stooges in Nigeria. It is obvious that each school of thoughts can be reflected in their historical social structures. This may be the main reasons for the conflict in governing Nigeria.

I will subsequently advise that we all begin to analyze these facts as a prelude to better understanding of each other rather than point fingers. Fact still remains that we are all somewhat intertwined through marriages and common relationships. It will indeed be a travesty if we cannot find ways to better live together. Let's leave all our bias aside and discover each other. We can use this medium as a forum for discussing these discoveries and taking it to an intellectual level. A result could be a powerhouse of advise to our current leadership. See? It might just be much more simple than what we are making of it.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by okokomeji: 2:29am On Jul 27, 2009
Dede1:

In academia, Nigeria was up and running to ellipse any progress Ghana had achieved. By 1963, Nigeria had four Universities namely ABU, Unibadan, Unilag and UNN. The VCs of the universities were two expatriates and two Nigerians. The Nigerians were Prof. Kenneth Dike and Prof. Eni Njoku of Universities of Ibadan and Lagos respectively. Please folks you must understand that in academia then, the position of tenured professorship is strictly based on academic merit. It should be recalled that when Prof Eni Njoku merited the position VC of Unilag, Dr. Obabiaku (sp) was not even a full professor at Unibadan. However, when Eni Njoku tenure was due for re-appointment for second four-year term, a Yoruba born Minister of Education who has just defected from NCNC to NNDP decided to inject tribalism to Nigerian academia by appointing Dr. Obabiaku (sp) to the post of VC of Unilag. The minister for education was no less a person than Chief Richard A. Akinjide.

Due to the shaming of the very Nigerian young academic repertoire by ethnic biased and tribal driven minister, the expatriate VC in UNN had to appeal to the government urging that Prof. Eni Njoku should replace him at UNN.      

See how you finished yourself the moment you mentioned education. If we removed the federal character or quota system that had favored Biafrans and still favoring them, you are nowhere to be found, when it comes to Yoruba sophistication!
To let you know that Yoruba superiority  on Onyegbos has been before Adam and Eves, I will prove everything to you and we can do it right now.
Next time, when you brag about Igbo's education, don't try it around Yorubas. You already know that any spot your people hit today, we (Yorubas) had been there, done there and past there two millenniums.
In 1950, the primary and secondary schools in ONDO STATE alone is more than the whole schools in the East
That’s not convincing enough.
They see all the states in East before they named (Ekiti state has the fountain of knowledge) a state where every family boosted of atleast one professor.
In the modern day Nigeria, Ondo state still has the highest rate of primary schools (810) and secondary schools (220).
Nigeria as of today boosts 105 tertiary institutions and more than 60 is from the west alone.
The two only institutions that made it to worldlist (Ife and OAU) are from South West. If they are going to include third one, it will be UNILAG.
Between 1953 to 1959
The first region to grant autonomy in Nigeria
•   One of the most efficiently run civil service in the Common wealth.
•   A respectable judicial system as against the Sharia law system of the north.
•   The first industrial estate in Africa.
•   Free and efficient health care delivery system.
•   The first radio and television station in Africa
•   The best road network in Nigeria.
•   Free education at all levels with an effective scholarship scheme, which still accounts for why there exists a yawning educational gap between the west and other parts of the country.
•   The first international stadium in Africa
•   The first ever tallest building in Africa (Cocoa house) commissioned in 1965
You Igbos only talked about 80 pounds given to them by Awolowo for empowerment, but failed to highlight how Hausa military regimes of 70s to 90s to break Yoruba backbone in the name of even development.
Muritala Muhammed, seized power from Gowon. Knowing that the Federal civil service was dominated by the Yorubas, because of their early exposure to Western education, 10,000 civil servants were sacked in a day. This was widely celebrated in the whole Igbo land with “Ogogoro champagne” popping in the air; hoping before the end of 1990s Yorubas strength would be weaken. Ha ha ha ha, oops! Before they know we still going super-strong!
Haters, I may salute all y’all muthafuckas before I drop my pen though!
What did you call the Biafailed slogan again? Hmmm, I got it. The flunk and land of sunset! Jokes of no fun! Biafra’s hope is dope!

Every last one of you (Biafrans) own Yorubas apology, I won't blame Hauses on Federal Character and Quota system alone-- blame it on Igbos!
North: Food basket of the nation ( or Biafrans no dey chop kulikuli, drink Kunu or eat cows, camel and tomatoes)?
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by okokomeji: 2:45am On Jul 27, 2009
Yorubas' superiority to Igbos is not by accident; it's with an overwhelming corollary!

Just to let you know that 92% of progress made in Lagos is by Yoruba efforts. Yorubas say, if you want to christen your child, you have got to look your backyard or better still, if you want to cut clothes for somebody, you got to look at yourself. That means, you can leave your east undeveloped and want to take care someone else business. We built Lagos by ourselves.

Then, I said if those facts are not enough, I would show the achievements of Oduduwa traits before modernity.

1) They formed the language with largest number of Idioms, proverbs. The number of consonants and vowels is more than the ones in English Language. Also the language with most stress and accent marks more than Spanish and French! Prove me wrong?
2) Yorubas were the first to urbanize. (Built strong structure with mud bricks, while your troglodytic people still living in the caves).
3) Due to early urbanity, they produced woven fabric (Aso ofi or Aso oke) through warp-and-waft method, while many cultures practiced walked butt-naked or sometimes with banana leafs wrapped around private parts.
4) They discovered the first (almighty formulae to solve puzzles) which is called Ifa Divination (which still continues all around the globe).
5) After Sumerians people of river Nile (which flows backward) they were the second to carved out canoes; and the first to travel across Atlantic ocean down to North America. Christopher Columbus got to America 1449 (by the time they had the first National census in Luxemburg, Germany) and one of the warriors in Chinese dynasty said, he had sailed down there seven decades before Americans; with all that being said, they found a trace of trades between native Americans and Africans, with the astonishing life-size head of Obatala’s sculpture erected in America (which through carbon dating test, dates back to 709BC).
6) Discovered the medicine that puts Yorubas on the map up to date as the only tribe in the world with highest rate of twins birth or multiple birth.
According to archeologists' record, Yorubas had the highest rate of art and culture artifacts and relics in Africa besides Egytp. Including the headless scupture of NOK headless fertile woman. Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, the greatest modern sculptor and carver of all time, called the NOK headless relic sculpture (one of a kind and genius of African arts.
7) They made the first bassuka Local guns to curb internecine wars
They built the first organized society with a complex king, chief and warrior's clans.
9) The artifacts and relics they left behind made IFE arts to top the life in Africa
10) As the toll of modernity takes ancient cultures to the brink of extinction, Yoruba idols keep resuscitating all around the world.
11) The made the first significant drums (bata and Kudi), these drums still top the list of African drums. During the slavery, these beating drums were banned in America; they were beaten with connotations that made slaves formed rebellion against their masters. This why five Yorubas top the list of drummers of all time all around the world. Tony Oladipo Allen was among them. He had beaten drums for Fela Anikulapo and Victor Olaiya with numerous white bands around the world. These drums have their largest users in South America by Yoruba descendants.
12) the cowries their first money for trade and barter before foreign intrusion, which later used to make decoration of gods; still survived up to date.
13) Oranmiyan staff erected in Ife long before discovery of North America, formed the prototype for a national monument in Washington DC. Oranmiyan used his staff to commemorate his warriors, USA uses “NM” to salute its falling heroes or solders.
14) The beads of old ages still valuable
15) Through their unique grout and chants (they influenced Jazz, Blues and Hip Hop).
16) Then, due to their genius in their time, they imbibed in us the best legacy, which I called innate knowledge.
This is why Yorubas stand out everywhere around the world in Education!

From this website below and of all 1200 gods known around the world.
According to this website' table of gods, Yoruba had 31 gods. Just second to Egyptian gods in Africa.
(http://www.eskimo.com/~elladan/gods/description.html)
Yoruba gods:
NAME ORIGIN DESCRIPTIONS

Oba Yoruba A goddess & protector of prostitutes
Eji Ogbe Yoruba/ Nigeria/ W.Africa A god that is king of the pantheon
Oshun Yoruba A goddess of healing, fertility & rivers
Aja Yoruba A goddess of healing, herbs & of knowledge
Oshun Ana Yoruba A goddess of love
Monje Yoruba A goddess of rivers
Ymoja Yoruba A goddess of rivers & of the sea
Aje Yoruba A goddess of wealth in all its forms

Olokun Yoruba/ Nigeria/ Benin A of fresh waters & oceans
Orisanla Yoruba/ Nigeria A sky god that was designated to be the creator of earth & living things

Oya Yoruba A warrior goddess of fire, rainstorms, justice & the wind
Egungun oya Africa Another form of the Yoruba goddess of divination
Olorun Yoruba Creator/ supreme god
Eshu Fon/ Yoruba Divine messenger
Yemonja Nigerian/ Yoruba She is one of the great goddesses
Ori Yoruba/ Nigeria The god of wisdom
Ifa Yoruba The god of wisdom, knowledge & divining
Eschu/ Legba Yoruba/ Africa These deities are messengers between gods & mortals, not very nice either
Orisha Nla Yoruba A god ordered by Olorun to create solid ground
Shango Yoruba A god of war, storms, thunder & fertility
Oshe Yoruba A god of thunder & lightning
Sango Yoruba/ Nigeria A god of thunder
Sopona Yoruba A god of smallpox
Orunmila Yoruba/ Nigeria A god of mercy & destiny
Osanyin Africa A god of medicine
Ogun Nago/ Edo/ Yoruba/ W. Africa A god of iron, hunting & war
Ajalamo Yoruba/ Nigeria/ W. Africa A god of fetuses
Iku Nigeria A god of death
Oko Yoruba/ Nigeria A god of agriculture

Obatala/ Obosom Yoruba A fertility god, he makes barren women fertile & shapes the fetus in the womb
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by okokomeji: 2:49am On Jul 27, 2009
You better keep quiet, if you don’t have facts.
We are not talking about Juju, I am trying to educate you about Oduduwa, so that you will ease yourself by fearing what you can conquer and hate what you don’t really understand.
(These people formed the best language ever, it might not be widely spoken or so popular; it’s simply the best).
Reason, you have just only two languages that can vie with Yoruba (French and Spanish) just with their consonants and vowels; but fail when it comes to proverbs, Idiomatic expression, stress patterns and accent marks.
The only African religion of the world.
They had the only colonial empire in Africa which is “Oyo empire.”
How would you define colonial empire and how many do we have?
The colonial empire spread wings across its boundary and made its culture reflects on it colonies.
1) Britain did and had the effect in (Africa, South mid east, East mid east, China and India.
2) Portugal did (Africa and South America).
3) Belgium did (Africa and South America).
4) Arab did (Africa and mid east).
5) Spain did (Africa and South America).
6) Oyo Empire did (West Africa, South America and North America).
Wikipedia even rated it on the same spot with Christianity and Islam, if there is Rule books.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_religion
It is possibly the largest African-born religion in the world. Though claims are made for an ultimately Egyptian/African origin to Judaism, Judaism was finalized as the religion of the Hebrew people of the Levant. Christianity and Islam also have long histories in Africa, but neither of those can claim to be African in origin in their present state like the undoubtedly African religion of the Yoruba. While much of Africa has increasingly adopted foreign religions, many indigenous faiths remain. The lack of proselytizing or establishing written "rule books" prevents these religions from spreading as much as Islam or Christianity. Regardless, they survive, both in Africa and the Western Hemisphere.
The Orisha is of two things that are mutually inclusive (rituals and arts). But nowadays, due to modernity; the whole world tends to focus on the art which includes dance, chants, music and gospel.

The reason to celebrate is manifold! First of all, if you want to play Music, Hip-Hop, Jazz, cultural dance, religion e.t.c in South America and you didn’t use it in the name of Orisha, Ogun or Oshun e.t.c., I bet you , nobody will patronize you. This makes our progenitors feel happy about their indelible scars and giant steps they left behind on the sand of time.
Did you know that Famous “Carlos Santana” singing about Sango and using his guitar tone to praise Olodumare (which mean elegua in Spanish) makes him famous and earns him success of a lifetime.
That something discovered by my great, great, great grand fathers, became the rave and vogue of time is not worth celebrating? If it’s that easy you can TYPE Amadioha ,Yam festival or Igbo Masquerades to see if it goes beyond Igboland for East
In America, just 20% of blacks go to church and 15% of those that attend church believed that Jesus was black. If you get to their houses, all you see is portraits of black Jesus. Then, about 40% believe in no religion at all. Not up to 5% believe in Allah. Then, the remaining more than 35% believe in spirits, and most of them refer to Orisha and Obatala gods. I have witnessed this many times.
Apart from strong Yoruba culture present in South America, USA also has large population of Orisha worshippers. This is why, when you study World Religion in USA colleges. They put Native American, white and African religions together.
!
We just need to check all the Yoruba Obas to sit right and teach new generation about our cultures, rather than fighting over supremacy or supporting the corrupt politicians to mooch our national cakes.
They need to portray all these idols in the way that seems innocuous as contrary to old fetish practices that scared people away.
Evidence of Orisha strong present in USA.

((This is my link: http://everything2.com/title/Yoruba
The Yoruba heritage was mostly forgotten in the US due to the slaveholder's tendency to make practicing the old customs a punishable offense. Many times the punishment for this was death. The new age of Yoruba beliefs have risen, in the US, in the last century due to the influx of Puerto Rican and Cuban immigrants to the US. The most common form, Santeria, is a mix of Yoruba beliefs and Catholicism and brings the Ifa deities, music, dances and rites with it.))

In America, the largest of shrines of any tribes other than whites. E.g. New York:
Temple of YORUBA/ORISA’IFA just in USA
South Carolina: Oyotunji Village (The one and only largest African Village in the whole USA. It covers about (120 km), when you get to the entrance it reads: You are now leaving USA, welcome to “OYOTUNJI VILLAGE” we greet you in the name of our ancestors!).
California: Ijo Orunmila, Ile Orunmila, and Awo Study Center
Florida: Ile Orunmila Temple, Ife Ile, Church of Lukumi Illinois: Ile Ifa Jalumi, Ile Osikan, Egbe Imole Agbon Iwosan
New York: Ile Ase, Lukumi Church
Tennessee Mimo Anago Ile Oshun
Charleston: Elequa
Texas: Ile Olokun
Virginia Ile Oyigigi Ojuba Orisa AKAN
Georgia: Akan Spiritual United Order
Maryland: Nyame Dua: Shrine House for Spiritual Healing
New York: Obaatanpa N’Abosum Fie
Pennsylvania: Adade Kofi Bosomfie Sankofa, Asona Aberade Shrine, Inc. Washington D.C. Onipa Abusia, Asomdwee Fie,
Shrine of the Abosom and Nsamanfo KEMETIC
Washington DC Region,
Florida: Ausar Auset Society Orlando Study Group
Maryland: Baltimore Branch of the
Ausar Auset Society International Pennsylvania: Ausar Auset Society in Philadelphia
Washington D.C. Ausar Auset Society
Washington, DC .“

The largest also in South America, from Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobbago e.t.c
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by okokomeji: 3:00am On Jul 27, 2009
You better keep quiet, if you don’t have facts. This is what I tell other Igbos, who think they know about Yorubas!
We are not talking about Juju, I am trying to educate you about Oduduwa, so that you will ease yourself by fearing what you can conquer and hate what you don’t really understand.
(These people formed the best language ever, it might not be widely spoken or so popular; it’s simply the best).
Reason, you have just only two languages that can vie with Yoruba (French and Spanish) just with their consonants and vowels; but fail when it comes to proverbs, Idiomatic expression, stress patterns and accent marks.
The only African religion of the world.
They had the only colonial empire in Africa which is “Oyo empire.”
How would you define colonial empire and how many do we have?
The colonial empire spread wings across its boundary and made its culture reflects on it colonies.
1) Britain did and had the effect in (Africa, South mid east, East mid east, China and India.
2) Portugal did (Africa and South America).
3) Belgium did (Africa and South America).
4) Arab did (Africa and mid east).
5) Spain did (Africa and South America).
6) Oyo Empire did (West Africa, South America and North America).
Wikipedia even rated it on the same spot with Christianity and Islam, if there is Rule books.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_religion
It is possibly the largest African-born religion in the world. Though claims are made for an ultimately Egyptian/African origin to Judaism, Judaism was finalized as the religion of the Hebrew people of the Levant. Christianity and Islam also have long histories in Africa, but neither of those can claim to be African in origin in their present state like the undoubtedly African religion of the Yoruba. While much of Africa has increasingly adopted foreign religions, many indigenous faiths remain. The lack of proselytizing or establishing written "rule books" prevents these religions from spreading as much as Islam or Christianity. Regardless, they survive, both in Africa and the Western Hemisphere.
The Orisha is of two things that are mutually inclusive (rituals and arts). But nowadays, due to modernity; the whole world tends to focus on the art which includes dance, chants, music and gospel.

The reason to celebrate is manifold! First of all, if you want to play Music, Hip-Hop, Jazz, cultural dance, religion e.t.c in South America and you didn’t use it in the name of Orisha, Ogun or Oshun e.t.c., I bet you , nobody will patronize you. This makes our progenitors feel happy about their indelible scars and giant steps they left behind on the sand of time.
Did you know that Famous “Carlos Santana” singing about Sango and using his guitar tone to praise Olodumare (which mean elegua in Spanish) makes him famous and earns him success of a lifetime.
That something discovered by my great, great, great grand fathers, became the rave and vogue of time is not worth celebrating? If it’s that easy you can TYPE Amadioha ,Yam festival or Igbo Masquerades to see if it goes beyond Igboland for East
In America, just 20% of blacks go to church and 15% of those that attend church believed that Jesus was black. If you get to their houses, all you see is portraits of black Jesus. Then, about 40% believe in no religion at all. Not up to 5% believe in Allah. Then, the remaining more than 35% believe in spirits, and most of them refer to Orisha and Obatala gods. I have witnessed this many times.
Apart from strong Yoruba culture present in South America, USA also has large population of Orisha worshippers. This is why, when you study World Religion in USA colleges. They put Native American, white and African religions together.
!
We just need to check all the Yoruba Obas to sit right and teach new generation about our cultures, rather than fighting over supremacy or supporting the corrupt politicians to mooch our national cakes.
They need to portray all these idols in the way that seems innocuous as contrary to old fetish practices that scared people away.
Evidence of Orisha strong present in USA.

((This is my link: http://everything2.com/title/Yoruba
The Yoruba heritage was mostly forgotten in the US due to the slaveholder's tendency to make practicing the old customs a punishable offense. Many times the punishment for this was death. The new age of Yoruba beliefs have risen, in the US, in the last century due to the influx of Puerto Rican and Cuban immigrants to the US. The most common form, Santeria, is a mix of Yoruba beliefs and Catholicism and brings the Ifa deities, music, dances and rites with it.))

In America, the largest of shrines of any tribes other than whites. E.g. New York:
Temple of YORUBA/ORISA’IFA just in USA
South Carolina: Oyotunji Village (The one and only largest African Village in the whole USA. It covers about (120 km), when you get to the entrance it reads: You are now leaving USA, welcome to “OYOTUNJI VILLAGE” we greet you in the name of our ancestors!).
California: Ijo Orunmila, Ile Orunmila, and Awo Study Center
Florida: Ile Orunmila Temple, Ife Ile, Church of Lukumi Illinois: Ile Ifa Jalumi, Ile Osikan, Egbe Imole Agbon Iwosan
New York: Ile Ase, Lukumi Church
Tennessee Mimo Anago Ile Oshun
Charleston: Elequa
Texas: Ile Olokun
Virginia Ile Oyigigi Ojuba Orisa AKAN
Georgia: Akan Spiritual United Order
Maryland: Nyame Dua: Shrine House for Spiritual Healing
New York: Obaatanpa N’Abosum Fie
Pennsylvania: Adade Kofi Bosomfie Sankofa, Asona Aberade Shrine, Inc. Washington D.C. Onipa Abusia, Asomdwee Fie,
Shrine of the Abosom and Nsamanfo KEMETIC
Washington DC Region,
Florida: Ausar Auset Society Orlando Study Group
Maryland: Baltimore Branch of the
Ausar Auset Society International Pennsylvania: Ausar Auset Society in Philadelphia
Washington D.C. Ausar Auset Society
Washington, DC .“

The largest also in South America, from Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobbago e.t.c
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by rhymz(m): 7:35am On Jul 27, 2009
@Larez,U re a typical example of d unintelligent kid aforementioned in my previous post.Too bad U ve an attitude problem,i will be d last person to stoop to that level,I ve too much class to indulge myself in mumbo-jumbo.If U want a decent debate put forward Ur arguements without resorting to calling names anything short of that,U re on your own,am too busy to spare my time for kids who don't know and do not know that they do not know,what a malady.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by NegroNtns(m): 9:27am On Jul 27, 2009
It is not for you to define what confrontation is when asked to defend a position or respond to counter arguments. In spite of your hate filled posts and very bad remarks on a people (Igbos) based on the actions of a few military men I have chosen to ask you to clarify issues that you have dodged.

The general Igbo people jubilated the outcome of the Jan 66 coup and were content to ride joyfully as the new elite of the country without censoring the wanton act of barbarism exhibited by a few Igbo military men.

You can not lavish on the rewards and then distance from the review. You own both. So I cant understand what is false about that or how you can call that hatred.

However, if you want me to praise you or kneel down before you see my posts as requests to defend your position I will never do that. As a matter of fact I am being extremely nice to address you the way I do because based on the hate filled comments towards my people you don't deserve any respect and no apologies for that. I have only refrained from introducing harsh words so that you will not use that as excuses to avoid compelling counter arguments that have trashed some of your statements.

Look, patriotic citizens are loyal to their nations and their people. Patriotism does not happen on account of who the other nations are or are not. Your patriotism is defined by your own belief in who your nation and your people are as a member of the human universe. You detest truth. What I have accounted for so far are the events as they happened. As we speak right now. . .there are Igbo people on internet agitating for a repeat of the 60s to break Biafra out of Nigeria. How prudent is that? But yet you fail to look inward and see your own folks as the haters and the barriers to your progress in Nigeria. . .but you blame everyone else. Like I said, patriotism happens because you recognize and accept who you are relative to what others are. If you do not define yourself. . .and make a good job doing so, you will be left vulnerable for others to define you and their definition of you will not be pleasant.

Only intellectually challenged people would effortlessly condemn a people based on actions of some.

Everyone is talking about intellect. I guess that's the new buzz word for Nigerians. I will tell you like this. . .

Negro is not intelligent, he lacks intellect. . . but he is darn politically savvy and in all matters of politics and civics he has the mastery to influence mind and s.crew over opponents. Between intelligence and shrewdness, Negro picks to be shrewd. cool
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by Ibime(m): 9:38am On Jul 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Everyone is talking about intellect. I guess that's the new buzz word for Nigerians. I will tell you like this. . .

Negro is not intelligent, he lacks intellect. . . but he is darn politically savvy and in all matters of politics and civics he has the mastery to influence mind and s.crew over opponents. Between intelligence and shrewdness, Negro picks to be shrewd. cool

Whats all this self-aggrandizing codswallop?  grin

In summary, Negro has had his ass handed to him for daring to challenge the ubiquitous Dede1 on technical details surrounding the civil war. Negro has skirted around; and criminally avoided the points raised by Dede1 in rebuttal to his falacious and ethnically-tinted arguments. Negro is no historian and his self-proclaimed mission to "educate us" on matters around the civil war has only served to expose his own sciolism.  grin
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by NegroNtns(m): 9:45am On Jul 27, 2009
You believe that because you got the timeline wrong. You see, I am fcused between 1959 and July 66; not the civil war which happened much later. You and your protege should read carefully next time.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by olawohoney: 9:51am On Jul 27, 2009
Past always has a way of walking itself into the present! everything we do today surely have traces from the past!! it is even believe in  the school of common sense that " whatever we do today will shape what will happen tomorrow!
Nigeria issue is a very complex one that no matter what events and occurrences we are able to account for today that will satisfy our(Nigerians) current state of minds.
I will not like to go back to story telling on clarifying what has been said before by many of you here, but i will rather concentrate on common sense and ideal or reasonable state of things. Without disrespect to anybody base on tribe or race. Nigeria may not be a desirable country by many or some Nigerians today based on what they considered as oppression from other tribes or being a minority, but facts are fact. Late Obefemi Awolowo once said our coming together was British intervention. The question is why did a notable Nigerian like him said made such comment? and what was going true his mind when he made such comment. The problem is Nigeria as a nation with more than 280 ethnic groups cannot do away with the wide margin of our cultural,norms,believes and orientation differences. Our differences has created a big vacuum that was apparent right from amalgamation and it was obvious to late Obafemi Awolowo then, but what can you do? when you are governed by outside element(British) that only think of how they can colonise the entire people of the nation named Nigeria by them, absolutely nothing! that's why we are Nigerians today.
In life it is always good to invest in prevention simply because it's better than cure! why? cure is always not certain! in this wise, the fact is we are Nigerians today and nothing we can do about it, that's one very big fact that the Biafran war of 1966 failed. Although there are tendencies that many people will have different reasons but i have summarised it and narrowed it to that single reason. Having said that there is need to point out the fact that Negro_ninja message is very clear , in my own opinion he is not trying to sectionalised Ibo or blame Ibo for everything that happened then and now, But fact are fact and there is no smoke without fire! In Nigeria we are mostly set of people that our past always re verbrate in our present just like any other human beings all over the world. I did not read any History book, but I am from a family that most of my uncles served in Nigeria Army in the 60s and they fought Biafran war and most of them and their account of what happen shows that they will never trust any officer from Ibo race if they are to be in Army now or in any other life endeavour, because of what they called Ibo agenda to control and manipulate other race in Nigeria through any means possible. Although i strongly oppose stereotyping people base on action of some individual from that group or race, but it is also true that "once beaten twice shy". I have on several occasion  asked my Uncles why cant they have a different and fair opinion Ibo people, since i believe Hausa are doing same thing they often blame Ibo for! but the reply has always been straight forward, they always try to make me realise that Hausa thinks they are gravely vulnerable and that's why they always like to be in the corridor of power so has to be relevant!! and that they like Yoruba always fear the reprisal of what Nzeogu did to both tribe then. Another question i use to ask my Uncles is why is it that we(Yoruba) accommodate Ibo's In Yorubaland despite the fact that we don't trust them? and the reply was " we (Yoruba) have so much in common with them and that Yoruba are the first set of people to realise the importance of accommodating people , because it is a vital tool for development and better understanding.
My conclusion is that we the current generation of Nigerians have so much to do for this great country of people from diverse backgrounds . Only if we are ready to concentrate pour energy on what unify us and not what divide us ! There are lots of claimer disclaim claimers issues in our country history, but the best we can do is not to stereotype like our old and past generations. We should always treat one another first like brother(same Nigeria) before individual, just like most of us abroad (foreign countries) always do when we meet one another. This i think are the most important changes we must make to be able to fight our common enemy (corruption). I have a dream that one day Nigeria would be a country where each and every one of us would be judge by the content of our character, and not by the actions of our past brothers or current action of minority of people from our race" Martin Luther K Jr.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by Afam(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2009
larez:

Here is my opinion so far as I now immerse myself into learning about the History of Nigeria:

The current climate of Nigeria is clearly affected by traditions of the various cultures. It awakens curiosity to note the historical social structures and ways of life, and reflect them in the current trends of thoughts from the various regions. I can see some uncanny resemblance in the general attitudes of the political stooges in Nigeria. It is obvious that each school of thoughts can be reflected in their historical social structures. This may be the main reasons for the conflict in governing Nigeria.

I will subsequently advise that we all begin to analyze these facts as a prelude to better understanding of each other rather than point fingers. Fact still remains that we are all somewhat intertwined through marriages and common relationships. It will indeed be a travesty if we cannot find ways to better live together. Let's leave all our bias aside and discover each other. We can use this medium as a forum for discussing these discoveries and taking it to an intellectual level. A result could be a powerhouse of advise to our current leadership. See? It might just be much more simple than what we are making of it.

The above coming from someone that has thrown unwarranted attacks and insults based on what I may call misunderstanding or lack of understanding of the issues or the positions of the parties involved in the issues being discussed is pure nonsense. When did the poster realize that throwing the insults around is wrong.

Carry on, expose your ignorance. I have defended lies being told about Igbo people here and all this guy who probably thinks that he has a good understanding of the issue can do is rain misguided insults.

By the way, what the West thinks about Nigeria or any part of Nigeria means little to me because any intelligent mind would understand that majority of the time the West presents a picture to suit its interests.

Negro_Ntns:

The general Igbo people jubilated the outcome of the Jan 66 coup and were content to ride joyfully as the new elite of the country without censoring the wanton act of barbarism exhibited by a few Igbo military men.  

You can not lavish on the rewards and then distance from the review.  You own both.  So I cant understand what is false about that or how you can call that hatred.

What do you mean by general Igbo and how did you know that they were content to ride joyfully? Do we have recorded or well documented history on how the Igbos took the coup? Did Igbos living in the Northern part of Nigeria celebrate on the streets or hold rallies there considering the political climate in the North? Did this also happen in the South West or even in the East?

Look, this is not about what you think or what catches your fancy, it is about what actually happened because we are talking about serious issues here that led to wastage of lives of innocent people.

Negro_Ntns:

Look, patriotic citizens are loyal to their nations and their people. Patriotism does not happen on account of who the other nations are or are not.  Your patriotism is defined by your own belief in who your nation and your people are as a member of the human universe.  You detest truth.  What I have accounted for so far are the events as they happened.  As we speak right now. . .there are Igbo people on internet agitating for a repeat of the 60s to break Biafra out of Nigeria. How prudent is that?  But yet you fail to look inward and see your own folks as the haters and the barriers to your progress in Nigeria. . .but you blame everyone else.  Like I said, patriotism happens because you recognize and accept who you are relative to what others are. If you do not define yourself. . .and make a good job doing so, you will be left vulnerable for others to define you and their definition of you will not be pleasant.

Again, you miss the point completely, for starters I don't believe in the Biafra some of my people are talking about today because there are states in the then South East today that have not declared that they want to be part of the new Biafra as regards boundaries. There are elected (or selected) representatives from the South East in the present democratic process so there are a lot of technical issues many of the proponents are avoiding or not discussing.

So, telling me that there are some Igbo people talking about Biafra does not mean that that is what the Igbos want. I hope you see the same flawed logic coming to the fore here. You cannot judge or condemn a people based on the actions of a few. This should be pretty obvious and clear.

okokomeji:

Yorubas' superiority to Igbos is not by accident; it's with an overwhelming corollary!

Just to let you know that 92% of progress made in Lagos is by Yoruba efforts. Yorubas say, if you want to christen your child, you have got to look your backyard or better still, if you want to cut clothes for somebody, you got to look at yourself. That means, you can leave your east undeveloped and want to take care someone else business. We built Lagos by ourselves.

This is the problem with some people, focusing on tribal supremacy. In case you missed it that is not what this thread is about so you may take the copy and paste posts elsewhere.

This thread is about information ranging from facts, lies, half truths, misinformation and conspiracy theories being told about the Igbos by someone and his supporters. Most of the replies have come to correct the lies, to ask questions, seek clarifications or provide counter arguments.

If you cannot stick to the issue please leave and don't derail the thread that has already suffered from a lot of diversions unless this is part of the plan to avoid the issues being raised.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by NegroNtns(m): 5:09pm On Jul 27, 2009
Do you believe that certain elements in the FG are siphoning the national wealth into their private financial account overseas? Do you have the account numbr where the money is kept and the record by name and amount of these thefts?

C'mon. . .use common sense for a change. Overnight the civil service was transformed and Igbos were promoted above those more qualified to hold posts. Looking for evidence. . .go back to the link at the opening on page 1 and see the list. That's a microcosm of other inequities at the expense of Yorubas and Hausas.

You keep saying you, you, you. . . Afam, this is not about YOU! This is about Igbo. You happen to be a member of the group so for God's sake hush about what your crusade for one nationality and go into threads where your people are bashing others. . . if you want to save Nigeria thats where your crusade should begin.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by asha80(m): 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Do you believe that certain elements in the FG are siphoning the national wealth into their private financial account overseas? Do you have the account numbr where the money is kept and the record by name and amount of these thefts?

C'mon. . .use common sense for a change. Overnight the civil service was transformed and Igbos were promoted above those more qualified to hold posts. Looking for evidence. . .go back to the link at the opening on page 1 and see the list. That's a microcosm of other inequities at the expense of Yorubas and Hausas.

You keep saying you, you, you. . . Afam, this is not about YOU! This is about Igbo. You happen to be a member of the group so for God's sake hush about what your crusade for one nationality and go into threads where your people are bashing others. . . if you want to save Nigeria thats where your crusade should begin.

Let me ask you a question.Was this before independence?If it was,Was is not the british that where in charge before our independence?If the yorubas,hausas,fulani and other ethnic groups where more qualified why was it that igbos were rising in the civil service?Or was the igbos in charge of the country before independence?Do you believe the igbos were only mere traders before independence?
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by Dede1(m): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

You can not lavish on the rewards and then distance from the review. You own both. So I cant understand what is false about that or how you can call that hatred.

You are very funny indeed. It is either you are a determined thief or you lacked the skills of the trade. You and Nowa Omoigui were startled in a broad day light while stealing and still you did not stop the act but kept hauling goods that do not belong to you.

The statement you posted was posited from the ill-informed fact that Ndigbo were dancing and rejoicing to the tune of a record named “Ewu Nabe Akwa” that was allegedly waxed by famous Igbo musician named Celestine Ukwu during and after the January 15, 1966 coup. Unbeknown to the misguided errand boys, Negro_nuts and Omoigui, the aforementioned record was actually released by Ijo famous musician. Ndigbo never jubilated on hearing the killings of fellow Nigerians as wrongfully alleged.

I am disappointed in your lack of comprehensive ability because I thought you were open to correct teachings.

In fact, I am dumbfounded that many indigenes of southern Nigeria, primarily outside the Igbo ethnicity, have indulged in a shameful denial of effects of the 1966 program in northern Nigeria. Many Yoruba and members of minority ethnic groups from southern Nigeria were also massacred. There are family friends from Edo and Yoruba who lost loved ones in the pogrom and were compelled to run back to their regions as the easterners did.

However, when the easterners decided to standup against the unwarranted aggression from the northern Nigerian hoodlums, the most of the ethnic groups in southern Nigeria shamelessly capitulated. 

Since then till this day, shameless cowards are pulling all stumps to skew the history in order to justify either their inability to hit the aggressor on the nose as to spare the innocence of the young country or hide the unforgivable sell-out.

The jungle called Nigeria is doomed and I am not interested in whatever joy its continuous existence will bring.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by Dede1(m): 6:53pm On Jul 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

From 1900 to 1966, Ndigbo in particular and easterners in general dominated the civil service both in the Protectorate and independent Nigeria. The sheer number of qualified Ndigbo in the government services, parastatals, police and army led to the undeniable fear of domination by Ndigbo that precipitated into the civil war. As of 1966, 87% of the entire Nigeria army officer’s cadre was made up of Ndigbo. Other than those who rose in rank or have university degree, the officers graduated from Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, United Kingdom. The re-echoing fact is that they were fully qualified to hold any position assigned to them.

It will be very shameful if you were refereeing to these statements cull from the first page of the link you posted: 

The shape of Ironsi's advisory team became clear as time went on. Chief among them was Francis Nwokedi, former permanent secretary in the ministry of external affairs, who had become close to him during his days in the Congo. Others were Pius Okigbo (economic adviser) and Lt. Col Patrick Anwunah who was later Chairman of the National Orientation Committee. However, most of General Ironsi's advisers were faceless civilians. The most common complaint was that, although highly qualified and distinguished, they were either all Igbos or Igbo speaking. I have no way of verifying or refuting this allegation. Knowing how other governments in Nigeria have behaved (and continue to behave), it is hard to know what to make of these observations, but they were recorded by observers across ethnic and regional boundaries.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by Dede1(m): 7:24pm On Jul 27, 2009
Ibime:

Whats all this self-aggrandizing codswallop? grin

In summary, Negro has had his ass handed to him for daring to challenge the ubiquitous Dede1 on technical details surrounding the civil war. Negro has skirted around; and criminally avoided the points raised by Dede1 in rebuttal to his falacious and ethnically-tinted arguments. Negro is no historian and his self-proclaimed mission to "educate us" on matters around the civil war has only served to expose his own sciolism. grin

Ibime,

The dude is simply disingenuous. He has adamantly refused to learn. Negro_nuts and his/her ilk are on covert mission and must be watched very carefully. This mission was initiated by the western region of Nigerian government publication of 1967. The easterners must make sure that these deceptive stunts being performed by lily-hearted punks remain jokes.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by larez(m): 9:07pm On Jul 27, 2009
Dede1:

Ibime,

The dude is simply disingenuous. He has adamantly refused to learn. Negro_nuts and his/her ilk are on covert mission and must be watched very carefully. This mission was initiated by the western region of Nigerian government publication of 1967. The easterners must make sure that these deceptive stunts being performed by lily-hearted punks remain jokes.

It is quite obvious that you are the epitome of the Igbo man Ozodi Thomas describes. I think it is time that I seek that article again and post it here. Your tone is typical of your self perceived superiority with leaves you clearly deluded. You have a bunch of twists and turns without references to your sources, which I guess makes you the indisputable source itself. Ozodi Thomas article coming up. Here on Nairaland!!
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by asha80(m): 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2009
larez:

It is quite obvious that you are the epitome of the Igbo man Ozodi Thomas describes. I think it is time that I seek that article again and post it here. Your tone is typical of your self perceived superiority with leaves you clearly deluded. You have a bunch of twists and turns without references to your sources, which I guess makes you the indisputable source itself. Ozodi Thomas article coming up. Here on Nairaland!!

My friend post it again.After all it has been posted before.Let me help you self.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-277962.0.html

The Igbos And I
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:36 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Igbos and I     
Written by Ozodi Thomas Osuji, PhD   
Saturday, 18 October 2008
THE IGBOS AND I

Ozodi Thomas Osuji

In retrospect, what I said about the Igbos amounts to the view that they are not victims of other Nigerians attack, and that they generated attacks on them by being arrogant and insulting. I, in effect, would seem to blame them for their dreadful fate.

I see many of them as paranoid, narcissistic and antisocial personalities; I see their society as pathological, a society that accepts people conditionally hence produces neurotic persons.

My write up on their icon, Chinua Achebe, sees the man as immature, simplistic, a man who sees himself as a victim when, in fact, he is not. 

In other writings, I saw Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Igbos civil war leader, as a bloody coward who ran away from the battlefield.

All these apparent negative views of Igbos would seem to suggest that I hate Igbos. Therefore, Igbos justifiably feel angry at me. They see me as their enemy and blame me. This is an understandable reaction to me. When people feel attacked they tend to be angry; angry persons have been known to kill those who made them angry. (Though I am Igbo, I emotionally distance myself from them hence talk about them as if I am talking about other persons, not about my people. I do so to be able to be objective and dispassionate in talking about their issues. Of course, I identify with Igbos otherwise I would not be so obsessed with their apparent untoward character traits. I am motivated to help, not crucify.)

But am I negative towards Igbos or am I stating the truth about them? I am stating the truth about them, a truth that they do not want to hear, and a truth that hurts them deeply.  My role is akin to the role of ancient prophets. Prophets speak the truth, as they see it, and their truth makes people who do not want to hear that truth angry. Prophets are often killed because what they say is not what mankind wants to hear. The Christian Bible is replete with stories about murdered teachers of truth, including Jesus Christ.

If these people were not angry at me I would not have been speaking the truth about their warped personalities. Therefore, I must accept their anger at me as part of the price I have to pay for being a prophet of the truth. In the long run, I am their savior; I save them from their arrogant egoism. (This statement may seem grandiose but there is no other way of putting it; however, what is being said is that the truth would save them; that truth is spoken through certain persons, including me, and in as much as one is part of the bearers of the truth one is part of their savior; in the final analysis only God…the immanent God, the Holy Spirit… is our savior; God is made more manifest in those of us who speak the truth than those who choose to live the lie; the truth is that all human beings, man and woman, black and white, Igbo and Hausa etc are the same and equal; the lie is belief in inequality.)

Like all saviors of mankind, my work may not be appreciated by the generation that it is addressed to; indeed, if they could they would kill me as they killed ancient prophets, except that I am safely away from the reach of their rusted swords. Human beings kill those who speak the truth but later generations eventually pretend to worship their names.

Igbos, like folk every where, see themselves as innocent victims and see others as their victimizers and therefore see me as a person who sees them as responsible for their situation as an enemy; they want me to go away so that they would continue in their merry ways. The devil wants the Christ to go away; darkness wants light to go away so that it continues to prevail.

But light, represented by the teachers of love, the teachers of union and the teachers of God, does not go away, for it must perform its function. One must have the fortitude and tough skin to deal with the persons who howl like dogs at the truth.

My function is to heal Igbos of their delusion disorder, a mental disorder that makes them feel arrogant and look down on their neighbors hence generate conflict between them. If I call their attention to their malady and they learn to behave differently they would generate peace and happiness for them and their neighbors.

But their egos want to continue in their merry ways so they oppose me. However, eventually they would accept the truth.  I am here to heal them of their delusion disorder paranoid, narcissistic and anti social personality disorders. I say antisocial personality disorders because many of them do not show remorse or guilt from engaging in antisocial behaviors; these folk engage in 419 advance fee scams and other criminal activities; to them, all that matters is to steal and become rich and be seen as very important persons in their denizen; pro-social behavior go to the dogs!

Like little children they currently resent me and call me derogatory names. Indeed, some old, wretched Igbos called me old! They have not even seen me in their entire lives!  Any thing to put someone down is their approach to life, Imanjakiri, Eko okwu, it is called.

They call me insulting names because their culture disposes them to do so. Their pathological culture celebrates success hence produces thieves who steal to become rich so as to be accepted by their people. They see those of us who are motivated by pursuit of knowledge, not material things, as poor and since in their warped minds poverty is bad they have no respect for us. Patience must be exercised as one deal with these people.

Why is it any of their god damned, freaking business if some one is poor? Why are they busybodies who mind other peoples business, any way? God, these people are infantile beyond comprehension. Hasn’t any one told them that thinkers, philosophers and artists etc are not motivated by money but by the truth and beauty and are often poor. Was Plato rich?

They are really children, not adults. They are an extremely childish people. At the slightest drop of the hat they resort to calling folk put down names. They call you negative names as if doing so would make you stop speaking the truth, as you see it.

What is the truth? The truth is love yourself and love all people as you love yourself; see all people as the same and equal and as members of God’s one family. 

Their childish vituperation says, in effect, if they do not get what they want that they are going to harass you and make you feel shamed so that out of shame you do as they want you to do, which is to ignore the truth and say what they want said.  Actually, their behavior is terroristic for they are trying to use public shaming to intimidate you into changing your mind and doing what they want you to do. The poor devils do not realize that the truth cannot be made to go away; we can mask and veil the truth but it is always there.

Name calling does not change the truth. Name calling actually reflects more about the name callers than those called such names; it reflects the callers’ emotional immaturity rather than those they called such names.

Incidentally, often those they called negative names slap them around (Hausas slap them around, rule them in Nigeria). They then see themselves as victims and forget their role in generating their fate.

Apparently, what we have here are a childish people. One must have patience and help them to grow up rather than feel angry at them. One does not feel angry at children; one patiently helps them to grow up. I should never feel angry at them as they call me silly put down names. They are like the devil who calls Christ names hoping to silence him, make the truth go away and leave them to live in their darkness.

We must remember that these people sold their brothers and sisters into slavery just so that they would get some money to buy paraphernalia that in their primitive eyes made them seem important.

These people do not recognize that the only thing that makes a human being important is love. Love for ones self and for other people is the only variable that makes one dignified, not having silly material wealth.

Their childish culture values material wealth; it is as if the people are not aware that you do not take wealth with you when you die. What you take with you when you die is love. When you meet your maker he asks you whether you loved his children or not, not; whether you stole from them and used the money to buy stupid chieftaincy titles in your village to make your ego and its body seem special.

It is for me, an adult, to help re-socialize these children and help them grow up and become emotional adults; at present what we have are children in adult bodies.

I accept my task cheerfully and will help these children to grow up and disregard their verbal abuses; I can live with children’s petulance. (I now understand why enlightened men, those who have experienced our unity and teach it, tend to see other persons as children; even when they are young they see humanity as children. They see people as children because people refuse to live the truth. It is those who live the truth, regardless of their chronological ages, that are mental adults.)

No one else has ever called them out on their childishness; in fact, some other Nigerians have bought their delusion of superiority and humor them with that belief; the cumulative effect is that they do not know how foolish they really are!  Even their literary hero, Chinua Achebe, is unsophisticated.

Chinua Achebe’s novels are, more or less, like J.Z. Rawlings of Harry Porter fame; he wrote stuff that appeal to the minds of adolescents, not adults. If Achebe had taken the time to read a bit of philosophy and psychology his writing would have addressed what Huxley called the perennial issues that exercise adult human beings minds rather than the trite he wrote. I recommend that he begin his re-education by systematically studying philosophy and psychology, beginning with reading the masters in the field, such as Plato, Aristotle, Bacon, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Hume, Hobbes, Berkeley, Rousseau, Pascal, Leibnitz, James, Sartre, Camus, Heidegger, Jasper, Freud, Adler, Jung, Horney, Skinner, Maslow, Confucius, Shankara, and Ramanuja etc. If he does such reading it would be reflected in his writing. At present his writing reflects childish level of thinking.

Achebe definitely is not Nobel Prize material. The poor devil probably feels that he deserves it, especially since Wole Soyinka received it. It does not take a rocket scientist to see that Soyinka is an adult writer and, moreover, is more courageous than Achebe. Upon the slightest perceived threat to his life, Achebe, like the other coward, Emeka Ojukwu (that man is a disgrace to the military uniform and should not even be called a private in the army; defeated generals are supposed to dorn their generals' uniforms, sword in hand, head up, chin out and march to their conquerors and hand in their sword, the symbol of their commands, and like courageous men accept what fate awaits them; General Robert Lee of the Confederate Army did this;  but this lilly livered coward fled to the Ivory Coast and abandoned other Igbos to be killed by the Nigerians he had told them was out to kill him; I say that he ought to be court martialled and shot), runs away to go save his skin. The Nobel in literature is given with an eye to the recipient’s courage, as well as literary excellence.

I can just see some Igbos fuming in their mouths, asking: who is this Ozodiobi Osuji, and where does he get off criticizing the great Achebe? What has he written? Is he not deluded to imagine himself in the ranks of Achebe?

Poor souls; each of us is operating at his wavelength; I am not Achebe and Achebe is not me. I do not have false modesty, for humility is not humiliation, as the ego teaches us, and will say it as it is: in the world of philosophy and psychology, I am second to none.

I dropped out of academia to give myself time to think through my ideas. They are now ready to bless the world. I have completed twenty books, each, at least, four hundred pages long. Soon, folk would be reading my works on philosophy, theology and psychology and learn from an unusual, superior  mind, the type that comes through this world once in several thousand years.I am the return of the ancient Igbo dibia, as folks said when I was born in the 1950s Lagos, Massy Maternity Hospital; I was made the "Onye Ishi Muo" of Amadioha at age eight.

Achebe is obviously a useful writer but it is time that more thoughtful writers replaced his simple story telling prose. Africa now needs writers of superior intelligence, writers with excellent grasp of philosophy, psychology and the sciences. It is time Africans wrote like adults not secondary school boys.

When one says something that many Igbos do not agree with, instead of trying to understand what one said some of them would ask one to go kill ones self, to go commit suicide and or call one sundry other put down names. Psychoanalytically, what is going on here is that if one does not agree with their childish ego tripping, their deluded sense of specialness, they feel attacked by one; they feel deflated and feel like they are nothing. They feel like one has attacked to destroy their swollen ego self concepts, their imaginary sense of importance and superiority, and they wish that one went away; indeed, that one died and left them alone to pretend to be grandiose persons.

As they see it, no one should tell them that they are merely engaged in ego defenses that mask their sense of inferiority with false superiority hence are neurotic. They want one to collude with them and tell them that they are God’s special children. Well, they are not; they are ordinary men and women like the rest of us.

What do we tell white folks who feel superior to black folks? We tell them that they are sick because we know that all human beings, black and white, are the same and equal.

But here comes an African tribe who did not even invent writing or the wheel and whose sociopolitical development is at the most rudimentary level, in short, primitive persons, and they want us to hide that fact and tell them that they are superior to other people.

These people want you to collude with them and accept their fictive, imaginary superiority feeling, their delusion of grandeur (this grandiosity takes a psychotic turn in those of them that now deny their Africanness and imagine that they are Jews; apparently, to them Jews are special and if they are Jews then they are special).

These people are sick and need to be healed. If you are trained in the mental health fields, psychology and psychiatry, have PhD or MD in them, and have had, at least, ten years of clinical practice thus thoroughly understand the nature of mental disorders, please join me in healing these terribly confused people.

I have two manuscripts that I am about to submit for publication and would gladly send them to you to read and proffer your opinion on them before they are published. They are: The Igbos and I; this is a four hundred pages book of essays on the Igbos that I wrote over the past two years; the other is:  Healing Igbo Delusion Disorder, a three hundred pages manuscript I just completed.

Please join me and let us help these talented but terribly confused people before their misguided arrogance and tendency to put other people down (in pursuit of what Alfred Adler calls fictive superiority) generate another round of pogrom for them. Their abusive nature would cause other Nigerians to kill them, and when killed they would, as before, see themselves as innocent victims. They are not victims; they sleep on the beds they made with their derogatory motor mouths.

We need to give these people some psychological insight into why they falsely feel superior to other persons, before they harm themselves, again.

Are you happy now?

Now Focus on the thread.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by larez(m): 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2009
Here is an article that sums up some of these guys going around posting junk all over the internet.

Subject: [AfrikHealth] EXPLORING IGBO MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES
To: AfrikHealth@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 4:42 PM

This paper explores the nature of delusion disorder, its variants, such as schizophrenia, paranoid type and paranoid personality disorder and how they relate to a specific African group. The paper will be developed in a workshop (to which folks are called to participate in). What is said about delusion disorder applies to all human beings; therefore, any one who so wishes could learn from it. The writer, however, found it necessary to delimit his focus of analysis to a specific African group and that is not to say that the issue does not affect other African groups or human beings in general.

EXPLORING IGBOS MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES
Ozodi Thomas Osuji

I am putting together a two day (Saturday and Sunday) workshop(s) on mental health and Igbos. I found it necessary to do so because of two reasons: the disturbing level of delusional disorders in Igbos and Igbos tendency to not accept this fact and, instead, find it necessary to verbally abuse whoever points out the obvious in them. I wrote about the palpable delusional issues in them and instead of them pausing to find out whether what I said was true (or a mere projection of my own issues to them) they haul abusive verbal missiles at me. Hardly a week goes by that one of them does not write to me, cussing me out, calling me a whole lot of negative names. The piece I did on the reasons why they claim to be Jews elicit the most response from them. Apparently, it struck a cord in their psychopathology. These people feel so inferior about themselves that they rejected themselves and identified with others, those they imagine are superior persons, Jews, and want you to collude with their obvious paranoia and tell them that they are Jews (read, tell them that they are superior persons, as they imagine Jews are) and if you do not they feel mad at you.

We have to explore why these people are doing what they are doing, for it is no longer a laughing matter. They generally run around fancying themselves superior to their Nigerian neighbors. They seize on flimsy evidence to justify their delusion of superiority. They would tell you that Hausas do not qualify to directly enter Nigerian universities (what it takes to qualify to enter Nigerian universities would not qualify you to enter good universities elsewhere, so qualification is always relative). They glibly tell you that Hausas enter universities on quota grounds. You ask them to provide you with evidence for their claims. Providing evidence for their delusional claims is not one of their strong points. Clearly, Hausas are as qualified as any other Nigerians to attend Nigeria ’s universities.

There is no shred of evidence that the Igbos are superior to any other Nigerian tribe (their average scores on standard IQ tests, such as Stanford-Binnet and WAIS/WISC, are the same as those of other Nigerians; they perform at the same levels in SAT, GRE and other college entrance examinations) . Their feeling of superiority is imaginary, is based on their rejection of their real selves and identification with fantasy ideal selves.

The ideal self is the self the neurotic wishes to be, a self that is superior and powerful, the opposite of the imperfect real self. Some individuals completely identify with the false, ideal self and come to believe that it is who they are. From its perspective they go about fancying themselves better than ordinary persons; they see people as inferior to them (that is, they project their rejected inferior selves to the rest of us).

White racists do this a lot. Generally, white racists are those white folk who feel inordinately inferior and come to believe that if they felt superior to black folk that it would make them seem superior. Of course, their behavior is deluded since in reality no race is superior to other folks.

We, black folk, feel insulted when white folk feel superior to us. We feel insulted because we know that despite the fact that white scientific and technological civilization is ahead of black civilization that all human beings are the same and equal. Come to think of it; one can understand why confused white racists feel superior to blacks for their material civilization is obviously ahead of Africans material civilization. But can one understand why Igbos should feel superior to other Africans? What in Igbo civilization makes Igbos seem superior to other Nigerians? Is it their underdeveloped political structure and culture before white men came to Nigeria ? The very Hausas and Yorubas they feel superior to attained what Marxist call feudal political state (a prelude to the contemporary bourgeois state) and they, Igbos, were only at the rudimentary communalistic stage of socio-political development.

Naturally, those Igbos look down on feel angry at them. The mad man looks down on folk and in his delusion expects the folk he imagines himself superior to, to accept his delusion of superiority, but they cannot and that makes him angry for they had not validated his preferred delusional self view.

Other people feel resentful towards the deluded person for daring to feel superior to them. Occasionally, people attack the deluded person, if only to bring his swollen ego down to human proportion.

Thus, occasionally, other Nigerians attack Igbos, and or kill them. But instead of learning from being attacked and killed that they are not super men, as common sense would dispose them to learn, their delusion waxes stronger. If they were super men, God’s elect how come they are easily killed by whoever wants to kill them? Obviously they are not special at all; they are not invincible, they are mere human beings at the mercy of other human beings.

Instead of accepting their vulnerable reality, they increase their sense of superiority and present themselves as innocent persons to the world. They say, in effect, see, we are innocent persons whom bad other persons attacked and killed; have sympathy for us.

Normal persons shrug off their silly claims of innocence for they instinctively realize that where there is smoke there is fire. If you are routinely attacked by other persons there must be something about you that makes them attack you. People don’t just get up and attack whoever they see. People attack the neurotic who feels superior to them for it makes human beings feel angry for other human beings to feel better than them.

All human beings, black and white, the various African tribes are the same and equal. Therefore, if you fancy yourself better than other persons you infuriate them and they want to attack you, if only to teach you the lesson that you are not better than them.

The mad man does not learn from experience and instead go about pretending to be superior to other persons. No amount of rational feedback to him that he is the same and equal to other persons makes him give up his delusion of superiority, for that delusion is a mask for his perceived sense of inferiority.

We all feel like we are inferior and are not special. The exigencies of being a human being, an animal that knows that nature does not treat him as if he is special, an animal that would like to be special yet an animal that nature snuffs out and dies and rots and smells to high heaven. We feel like we are nothing special and would like to feel like we are special, important, and superior. But healthy persons know that they are none of those things hence accept their humble selves.

The deluded person is unable to accept humility and, instead, uses his imagination to fashion a grandiose ego self concept, identify with it and come to believe that it is who he is in fact. He goes about pretending to be special.

Special indeed; you put a bullet into his swollen head and he is dead and becomes food for worms. He is so important that he is food for worms. So much for human importance!

Igbo sense of inferiority and compensatory superiority feeling is long standing. During my father’s generation, Igbos from Onitsha used to deny their Igboness and, instead, claim to be from Benin . Even Nnamdi Azikiwe, a supposedly university graduate, in his autobiography, My Odyssey, wrote that his Onitsha folk came from Benin . That is correct; a university graduate did not understand the self damaging implication of what he wrote. The implication is that he believed that Igbos are primitive and that Benin folk are civilized. By identifying with the supposed civilized Benin folk he fancied that he was now civilized. As it were, affiliation with a supposed civilized people washed away his supposed inferiority and lack of civilization and somehow made him superior and civilized!

Onitsha folk, believing in the fantasy that they are from Benin , looked down on other Igbos. They claimed to be “Umu Eze Chima,” a prince of Benin who supposedly left Benin and settled in Alaigbo.

Please note that that phrase, “umu eze chima”, is Igbo. In Igbo, umu means children of, Eze means chief, Chima means God knows; hence children of chief God knows; none of these words is Edo, Beni language meaning that these people are not Edo people but Igbos masquerading as Edo folk!

My father and his fellow Owerri folk used to gather and speculate on what sort of madness took hold of Onitsha people to dispose them to deny their Igboness and identify with Edoness, and from that standpoint look down on their fellow Igbos.

Ontisha folk used to call Owerri folk Ndi Igbo or Onye Igbo (Igbo people) and saw themselves as non-Igbos. This was supposed to imply the inferior status of Igbos Vis a Vis their superior self!

In return, Owerri folk called Onitsha folk Ndi Njekoebe…people who want to be other people, people who want to be Beni people; in other words, lost souls, fools. It would have taken a lot of doing to persuade my father’s Owerri generation to see Onitsha folk as sensible folk; to them Onitsha folk were “anuohia”, bush animals, fools who had no common sense.

Consider: the white man came to Alaigbo in the 1850s. He established an elementary school at Onitsha . Thus, Onitsha folk were the first Igbos to go to Western type schools. White missionaries came to Owerri in 1902 and established schools thereafter. That is to say that Onitsha folk had fifty years of heads up ahead of Owerri folk. Therefore, during the 1960s most educated Igbos were from the Onitsha area and Owerri folk were relatively backward. Now, any one with any kind of common sense would understand this situation, for fifty years gave Onitsha folk a lot of advantage over Owerri folk in the race to acquire Western education. Instead of appreciating the obvious reasons why they seemed ahead of Owerri folk, many Onitsha folk assumed that they were superior to Owerri folk! In today’s Alaigbo Owerri folk, more or less, produce as many university graduates as other Igbos put together! Onitsha folk are, relative to Owerri folk, less educated (they tend to be good at trading).

The salient point is that this folk lacked the power of good observation and empirical realism led them and tended to jump to unwarranted conclusions about people’s inferiority or lack thereof.

The tendency to see themselves as inferior and identify with another group that they see as superior is continuing today. Today, many Igbos call themselves Jews!

Genetic testing shows that Igbos are not related to Jews (I speak from experience, for I have done genetic testing to ascertain my group affiliation; I am African).

Igbos are a member of the Niger-Congo African group. They are related to Yorubas, Edos, Tivis and their other Nigerian neighbors. In fact, they are related to Hausas and don’t even know it!

Please note that the Yoruba term Omo means the same thing as the Igbo term Umu; Omo is Yoruba for Igbo children. This means that the two languages had a common root and diverged from each other not too long ago. My village is called Umu-Orisha; Yorubas have Omo-Orisa. One can go on and on pointing out the common roots of Yoruba and Igbo languages, showing that the two people are the same people but instead of accepting their oneness Igbos stress what differentiates them and like confused fools would like to see themselves as not Africans but as Jews!

(The implication of their not being African, were that true, is that other Nigerians could ask them to pack up and leave, to go to the Middle East where Jews live and are persecuted by Arabs! That is, their infantile claim to be Jews could come to hunt them as their neighbors try to kick them out of Africa . They are not known for political sagacity and perspicaciousness. If they were sensible they would emphasize their Africanness, and not glibly talk about their foreignness in a misguided effort to seem superior to their Nigerian neighbors.)

The sad part of it all is that those Igbos want to be like, Jews do not accept them! To the best of my knowledge, Jews do not go about claiming to be related to Igbos! They probably see Igbos as primitive Africans and do not want to be associated with a primitive folk.

In the empirical world, observations shows that, in the main, human beings tend to want to associate with those they perceive to be better than them. In this light, Jews probably see white Europeans as better than them and want to be seen as whites even though they are Orientals, Semitic folk. Jews are not different from Arabs (they share the same Semitic language…see Arab Salam and Jewish Shalom mean the same thing).

Clearly, Igbos are Africans and not Jews; it is inferiority feeling that makes them claim to be Jews, and labor under that delusion in a misguided effort to prove to themselves that they are Jews hence a superior people!

If you want to heal their delusion disorder and tell them that they are not Jews, they hate you and would attack you. I dared point out that they are Africans and not Jews and since then they hate me and write me hate letters. The fools apparently think that they can alter reality by their jabbering, by making noise. They can stand on their heads and claim to be superior to other Nigerians or to be Jews but the fact is that they are none of those things and those of us who are invested in the truth would not be persuaded by their childish vituperations. It is not up to human beings to change reality; all that is up to them is to accept reality as it is and make the most of it.

The Igbo tendency to feeling inferior and masking it with false superiority is shown by their penchant for titles (a trait they share with other Nigerians). These days they want to be called Dr or Professor or Chief or all three together (hence Professor Dr Chief Do-Nothing). Apparently, they feel that being called those seeming important titles makes them seem superior.

Let us see. The term professor is French and means teacher; the term Dr (PhD means doctor of philosophy) is someone who is dedicated to contributing to knowledge, and the term Chief is the head of a barbarian German war band.

I do not see how any of these foreign originated titles apply to the Igbos and Nigerians that crave them! They do not contribute to knowledge hence are not doctors of knowledge, they do not teach any relevant thing in their largely second rate universities hence are not professors; their society did not have chiefs before the white man came to them hence they cannot legitimately be called chiefs.

Clearly, Igbos title craziness is meant to make them seem important in our eyes, but are they important?

Important for what contribution to civilization, or is it for merely stealing from the Nigerian treasury to make them seem rich (wealth is okay if it is generated from ones industry, not if it is stolen, as it is mostly their case).

To show you how absurd these people have become, these days some of them want you to call them by their vocational titles; thus, if an engineer you must call him Engineer( who does not know who to fix anything), if Architect (Architect who builds a house that falls down tomorrow). The sad part of it all is that some of these clowns went to school in the West and know that folks in the West do not masquerade around with such titles; in the West folks are simply called Mr. Mrs. or Ms regardless of their academic attainments (the term professor and or Dr is obviously necessary in college campuses but not to be employed outside academia).

The term paranoia is of Greek origin; it means rejection of ones real self and identification with a wished for fantasy, ideal self.

The paranoid person rejects his actual self, whom he sees as not good, constructs an ideal self and identifies with that false ideal, superior all powerful self and presents it to other people to accept.

If other people collude with the paranoid person and see him as he wants to be seen, superior, he likes them but if they see him as he is, an ordinary human being, he feels humiliated, belittled, degraded and fights back, fights to make you see him as superior. The paranoid person fears been demeaned, that is, fears not been seen as the wished for grandiose important self. The worst crime you can commit towards him is to see him as an ordinary human being; he could physically (and certainly would psychologically) attack and kill you for daring to see him as a mere human being. (I called Igbos ordinary human beings and since then they attack me…this is how the paranoid process works, they want me to collude with their mental disorder and see them as emperors, naked emperors, I should point out.)

The fact is that the individual is not his ideal self; he is an actual self, an imperfect human being living in body. He might as well have the courage to accept who he is and make the most of it rather than clamor for an impossible self, ideal superior, powerful self. Nothing Igbos do would make them superior to other people, for they are not.

Actually, if you wanted to be objectively empirical and looked at their society’s material accomplishments you would see them as an inferior people, indeed. The level of their political development is the most rudimentary (what Marxists call primitive communism). They had only town, village polities and did not develop an Igbo wide political structure. They did not develop writing; their numbering did not go beyond a few hundreds. They did not develop the wheel. Their science is very primitive, so primitive that you are compelled to ask: where were they when other groups were moving ahead and developing higher civilizations?

However, as my fellow Bruin (UCLA) Professor Diamond pointed out in his seminal book: Guns, Germs and Civilization, there were mitigating reasons why Igbos remained very primitive relative to other groups. For example, they did not have horses and it is a demonstrated fact that those who had horses tended to be more mobile and engaged in wars of conquests hence had superior civilizations. The point is that Igbos do not need to be ashamed of their paltry contribution to material culture; they do not need to seek to escape from their reality by claiming to be who they are not, Edo , Jew etc.

What Igbos need to do is accept themselves as they are and then join the scientific world and make their contributions to the world of science and technology and not just pretend to have done so already, for they have not done so already (some of us know who is who in the world of physics, chemistry and biology and know that not one Igbo has made a seminal contribution to that world).

Mental health lays in accepting ones self as the same and coequal with all people and not pretend to be better than any human being. The moment the individual fancies himself superior to other persons he is deluded and now needs to be healed of that mental disorder. The purpose of psychotherapy, especially cognitive behavior therapy, is to help shrink the individual’s swollen ego to normal proportions where he accepts our common humanity.

It is about time that we made concerted efforts to inform Igbos of the nature of mental health and how they are behaving like deluded persons by always wanting to be seen as superior persons when they are not. If not healed they would continue their shenanigan and continue sowing social conflict, disturbing our social peace and generating others attacks on them. It is about time that they are taught that mental health lies in accepting reality as it is, the reality of humility.

Human beings are not the grandiose gods they would like to be seen as; they are mere animals. Eco homo, Nietzsche said. Human beings are feeble creatures, vulnerable animals that make a whole lot of noise.

As the extraordinarily insightful Shakespeare pointed out in Macbeth, human life is like a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury but signifying nothing. We strut about on the world stage and seem like we matter but in time die and are eaten by (as Hamlet observed) worms.

Mental health lies in accepting the human reality as it is, and not denying it and pretending to be gods that we are not.

Human beings commit heinous acts when they pursue false self views. Adolf Hitler saw himself as totally inferior and rejected that negative self concept and then conceptualized himself as a superior, ideal self. He extended his imaginary superior self to his fellow Germans. He sought to prove to the world that he and his Germans were superior persons and that their neighbors, especially Slavic persons and Jews etc were inferior persons. Thus, he embarked on a deluded, paranoid war and by the time the mad man was finally stopped he had killed over fifty million persons.

Human beings are a threat to other persons when they fancy themselves superior to them. Igbos disturb people’s peace when they pursue their imaginary superior selves and it is about time that they are healed of that delusional disorder and shown how to live in peace with their selves and their neighbors.

In the USA, believing themselves as superior persons, many Igbos see their spouses as not recognizing their imaginary important selves and beat them up (to make them see them as important) and are, of course, arrested and jailed. Domestic violence is a crime. America’s jails and Psychiatric hospitals are filling up with deluded Igbos! (Their manifestation of the other mental disorders, such as schizophrenia, mania etc, tends to be at the same level as in other human groups hence not a cause for concern. For some reason paranoia is very rampant in Alaigbo and it is time that we explored why and sought ways to heal it, rather than play the ostrich, put our heads in sand and pretend that what is there is not there.)

The paranoid person thinks that he can fool other persons into believing that he is what he is not, ideal, perfect person. Those of us with clinical experience can tell the paranoid character from a mile away. Generally, he is physically rigid and emotionally inflexible. He is tense, so tense that if you raised your voice he would jump! Paranoia is, among other things, intense fearfulness and anxiety.

The paranoid person is like a soldier at the battlefield and feels that the entire world is made of enemies and is out to get him, persecute and kill him, so he feels justified in his guardedness. He is so guarded that he is always looking right and left to see if other persons are not there to harm him; in fact, when he sits down he sits away from folk, puts a distance between them, for he does not trust them enough to be close and intimate with them. (The clinical names for these states are ideas of reference and ideas of centrality; they feel like they are in a fishbowl, and are the center of the world and all people see them and are preoccupied with them; they fear being seen as not good enough hence harmed, therefore they must be on guard lest other persons harm them.)

The paranoid person is suspicious and does not trust any one to look after his self interests; he believes that only he can protect his interests.

When he laughs, you can sense his inflexibility in his laughter, we call it paranoid laughter; it is forced, as if unnatural; this is because he is trying to laugh from his imaginary ideal self; it is when one laughs from ones real self, a humble self that ones laughter is natural and spontaneous.

The paranoid person always misinterprets what other persons say and sees them to demean him. He believes that folk deliberately set out to make him small and since he does not want to be seen as small he feels angry at whoever he feels sees him as small. Generally, he accuses folk of looking down at him. In doing so he makes them feel angry at him, for no one likes to be falsely accused of doing what one did not do. He is always provoking other people’s anger at him. This is called paranoid self fulfilling prophecy, accusing people and making them fight with him hence gratify his presupposition that other people are hostile to him, that we live in an unfriendly world.

One such Igbo paranoid personality, he goes by the foreign name of Franklyn (he is not even political aware enough to realize that going by the white man’s name is inappropriate for an African), would try to avert his reality by calling one ill understood psychiatric names that he gleaned from casual reading. It is obvious that he knows diddlysquat about mental health issues but the clown would call you schizophrenic as if he knows what schizophrenia is!

These people will go to any length to avoid looking into themselves and developing insight into their obvious psychopathologies. They would rather see themselves as Nigerians victims and blame Nigerians for the issues their crummy personalities generate for them.

I generally have pity for them but have decided to heal them and not pussy foot and pretend that ignoring their psychological issues would make them go away. These issues have to be addressed and healed, to the extent that they can be healed, and what cannot be healed is lived with, and they develop the wisdom to know the difference.

This workshop will explore the nature of delusion disorder, aka paranoia. Delusion disorder is belief in what is not true (such as a sense of ones superiority and specialness) to be true and no amount of rational reasoning would make one not believe it. Why do some persons have systematic belief in what is not true as true and wont give such false beliefs up in the face of contradicting evidence?

The workshop will explore the cultural reasons why this disorder seems rampant in Alaigbo, such as Igbo competitiveness, Igbos lack of acceptance of people as they are, Igbos tendency to accept people only when they seem successful, and Igbos consequent fear of being who they are lest they risk of social rejection, and desire to become imaginary successful persons so that other Igbos would accept them. Competitive societies and conditionally accepting societies, as Carl Rogers pointed out, tend to produce neurotic persons, whereas unconditionally positively accepting societies tend to produce healthy persons.

The workshop will look at putative biological antecedents in psychotic disorders; however, so far, there are no known or accepted biological causal factors in pure paranoia. In schizophrenia, paranoid type, there appears to be biological causation (dopamine issues)? The various neuroleptic medications (such as Zyprexa, Risperdal etc) appear to reduce the bizarre delusions found in schizophrenia (such as reduce their claim to be god) and hallucinations. There are no hallucinations in pure delusion disorder and paranoid personality hence medications appear contraindicated and dept psychotherapy called for.

(Paranoid persons generally do not go to therapists; they tend to see themselves as healthy and see therapists as sick and look down on them; paranoid persons feel superciliously superior to most people, therapists included…one of them, a fellow barely holding on to reality, sees therapy as women’s work; in his delusion he believed that he has put therapists down and that that made him feel superior but all he did was affirm his delusion! As I pointed out elsewhere, one of the reasons Nigerians, so far, are unable to govern themselves is that most of their leaders have mental disorders, especially personality disorders such as paranoid, narcissistic and antisocial, and they do not know it. Until these people are healed I doubt that any good can come out of their country. You do not expect mentally and or personality disordered persons to do the right thing, such as care for their people; instead, you expect them to steal from their people and derive perverted sense of importance from stealing from their people. The more paranoid ones do what paranoids do: blame other persons for their inappropriate behaviors; paranoid persons do not accept blame for any of their inappropriate behaviors; to accept blame is to feel imperfect but they want to feel perfect, so whatever is not perfect in them they must deny ownership of and attribute to other persons fault…and like childish persons expect those they blame for their problems to accept blame!)

The workshop will juxtapose delusion disorder (and its variants, such as paranoid personality and schizophrenia, paranoid type) to the other psychoses (such as Mania, Depression etc) and personality disorders, such as antisocial and narcissistic personality disorders. It is designed for mental health professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, clinical social workers and counselors) and interested lay persons. Continuing education unit (hours) will be given to those who desire them.

*For this workshop we shall use the following books; prospective participants should read them in advance, for the workshop is intended to be a graduate level seminar type where participants are already familiar with the literature and can therefore meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

REQUIRED READING

Adler, Alfred (1909) The Neurotic Constitution.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.

Beck, Aaron (1990) Cognitive Therapy for Personality Disorders.

Horney, Karen (1950) Neurosis and Human Growth.

Meissner, William (1980) The Paranoid Process.

Meissner, William (1984) Psychotherapy and the Paranoid Process.

Rogers, Carl (1947) Client Centered Therapy.

Shapiro, David (1972) Autonomy and the Rigid Character.

Shapiro, David (1972) Neurotic Styles.

Swanson, David et al (1970) The Paranoid.

Uchendu, Victor (1968) Igbos of Southeast Nigeria .

Please email to me to get further information on time, place and cost of the workshop(s).

Ozodi Thomas Osuji, PhD

April 20, 2009

ozodiosuji@gmail. com
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by ezeagu(m): 9:31pm On Jul 27, 2009
okokomeji:

So wait, your actually saying that the Yoruba are superior to the Igbo? And there are no Yoruba people checking you? shocked What are you, a Yoruba Nazi? As Bob Marley said:

Until the philosophy which hold one race superior
And another
Inferior
Is finally
And permanently
Discredited
And abandoned -
Everywhere is war -
Me say war.

Bob Marley - War.

Lele ndi dutty, grin, Look at how arrogant you people are thinking your superior to anybody grin.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by ikeyman00(m): 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2009

Then, I said if those facts are not enough, I would show the achievements of Oduduwa traits before modernity.

1) They formed the language with largest number of Idioms, proverbs. The number of consonants and vowels is more than the ones in English Language. Also the language with most stress and accent marks more than Spanish and French! Prove me wrong?
2) Yorubas were the first to urbanize. (Built strong structure with mud bricks, while your troglodytic people still living in the caves).
3) Due to early urbanity, they produced woven fabric (Aso ofi or Aso oke) through warp-and-waft method, while many cultures practiced walked butt-naked or sometimes with banana leafs wrapped around private parts.
4) They discovered the first (almighty formulae to solve puzzles) which is called Ifa Divination (which still continues all around the globe).
5) After Sumerians people of river Nile (which flows backward) they were the second to carved out canoes; and the first to travel across Atlantic ocean down to North America. Christopher Columbus got to America 1449 (by the time they had the first National census in Luxemburg, Germany) and one of the warriors in Chinese dynasty said, he had sailed down there seven decades before Americans; with all that being said, they found a trace of trades between native Americans and Africans, with the astonishing life-size head of Obatala’s sculpture erected in America (which through carbon dating test, dates back to 709BC).
6) Discovered the medicine that puts Yorubas on the map up to date as the only tribe in the world with highest rate of twins birth or multiple birth.
According to archeologists' record, Yorubas had the highest rate of art and culture artifacts and relics in Africa besides Egytp. Including the headless scupture of NOK headless fertile woman. Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, the greatest modern sculptor and carver of all time, called the NOK headless relic sculpture (one of a kind and genius of African arts.
7) They made the first bassuka Local guns to curb internecine wars
They built the first organized society with a complex king, chief and warrior's clans.
9) The artifacts and relics they left behind made IFE arts to top the life in Africa
10) As the toll of modernity takes ancient cultures to the brink of extinction, Yoruba idols keep resuscitating all around the world.
11) The made the first significant drums (bata and Kudi), these drums still top the list of African drums. During the slavery, these beating drums were banned in America; they were beaten with connotations that made slaves formed rebellion against their masters. This why five Yorubas top the list of drummers of all time all around the world. Tony Oladipo Allen was among them. He had beaten drums for Fela Anikulapo and Victor Olaiya with numerous white bands around the world. These drums have their largest users in South America by Yoruba descendants.
12) the cowries their first money for trade and barter before foreign intrusion, which later used to make decoration of gods; still survived up to date.
13) Oranmiyan staff erected in Ife long before discovery of North America, formed the prototype for a national monument in Washington DC. Oranmiyan used his staff to commemorate his warriors, USA uses “NM” to salute its falling heroes or solders.
14) The beads of old ages still valuable
15) Through their unique grout and chants (they influenced Jazz, Blues and Hip Hop).
16) Then, due to their genius in their time, they imbibed in us the best legacy, which I called innate knowledge.
This is why Yorubas stand out everywhere around the world in Education!

From this website below and of all 1200 gods known around the world.
According to this website' table of gods, Yoruba had 31 gods. Just second to Egyptian gods in Africa.
(http://www.eskimo.com/~elladan/gods/description.html)
Yoruba gods:
NAME ORIGIN DESCRIPTIONS

Oba Yoruba A goddess & protector of prostitutes
Oshun Yoruba A goddess of healing, fertility & rivers
Aja Yoruba A goddess of healing, herbs & of knowledge
Oshun Ana Yoruba A goddess of love
Monje Yoruba A goddess of rivers
Ymoja Yoruba A goddess of rivers & of the sea
Aje Yoruba A goddess of wealth in all its forms

Olokun Yoruba/ Nigeria/ Benin A of fresh waters & oceans
Orisanla Yoruba/ Nigeria A sky god that was designated to be the creator of earth & living things

Oya Yoruba A warrior goddess of fire, rainstorms, justice & the wind
Egungun oya Africa Another form of the Yoruba goddess of divination
Olorun Yoruba Creator/ supreme god
Eshu Fon/ Yoruba Divine messenger
Yemonja Nigerian/ Yoruba She is one of the great goddesses
Ori Yoruba/ Nigeria The god of wisdom
Ifa Yoruba The god of wisdom, knowledge & divining
Eschu/ Legba Yoruba/ Africa These deities are messengers between gods & mortals, not very nice either
Orisha Nla Yoruba A god ordered by Olorun to create solid ground
Shango Yoruba A god of war, storms, thunder & fertility
Oshe Yoruba A god of thunder & lightning
Sango Yoruba/ Nigeria A god of thunder
Sopona Yoruba A god of smallpox
Orunmila Yoruba/ Nigeria A god of mercy & destiny
Osanyin Africa A god of medicine
Ogun Nago/ Edo/ Yoruba/ W. Africa A god of iron, hunting & war
Ajalamo Yoruba/ Nigeria/ W. Africa A god of fetuses
Iku Nigeria A god of death
Oko Yoruba/ Nigeria A god of agriculture

Obatala/ Obosom Yoruba A fertility god, he makes barren women fertile & shapes the fetus in the womb

BULLshit
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by ikeyman00(m): 9:40pm On Jul 27, 2009

confirmed and traced back to IGBO-ukwu

the ebos in Ile-ife
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by ikeyman00(m): 9:44pm On Jul 27, 2009
na 2day

ur foolish and selfish oduduwa sold our sudans, na only ebos stood up and fight off, then they were thrown into the river

what superiority u chattin about

[size=20pt]Trait[/size] oduduwa in love to celebrate what just dnt exist lipsrsealed
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by ikeyman00(m): 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2009
forget all those god u chattin about

just shut up for good

before all those pikin god u braggin about sprang up, the most fearful god durin oduduwa era was in the bush in Ife where the igbos lived

can u deny that??

superior right?

trait gwan

fool
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by larez(m): 10:51pm On Jul 27, 2009
Ozodi Thomas has a lot of patients running loose on Nairaland. grin
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by AloyEmeka: 10:59pm On Jul 27, 2009

You can not lavish on the rewards and then distance from the review.  You own both.  So I cant understand what is false about that or how you can call that hatred.
Negro, you are way older than that comment above. Don't make me believe you are in kindergarten. So, the whole Americans jubilated Iraq war?. The whole Yorubas jubilate Obasanjo's massacre of the ijaws from Odi?. Yorubas also jubilated in unison, the activities of Patricia Etteh and Ada Obasanjo?. Shame shame shame.
Re: Yorubas Strategically Keep Distance From North/East Issue Because Of This. . . by JamesG: 11:11pm On Jul 27, 2009
Please let's stop knocking the Yorubas, they've done a lot for the technological advancement of this country - albeit most of that development have been started in the west, but it had in a very short time found its way to other parts of the country. Won't you furnish your house before furnishing varender?

Case in point - Most will complain about OBJ, but can you really, I mean really compare OBJ with Yar' Adua?

The Houses/Fulanis will not do much for the country, but I am confident the Igbos can do more, given their numbers, I am not talking about importation.

Our collective problem are the Housa/Fulanis, they are the root of all our problem. The Yorubas have figured them out, that's why they can still be at the forefront of advancement in the nation even though the Housa/Fulanis control the Nation's resources.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

What Is Your State's Contribution To The Nation / Yakowas death - Buhari Postpones Birthday Lecture / Lagos To Deport 100 Chadians, Malians, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 314
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.