Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England (2365 Views)

Moving To England / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? / American Girl Moving To England (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by tinard(m): 2:25am On Nov 07, 2006
First-time buyers will have to fork out a cool million pounds to get a foothold on the property ladder in less than 20 years, data showed on Monday.

Full story at http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06112006/325/million-pound-starter-home-2024.html

We've seen graduates rushing to the British embassy and wasting all their savings in the hope of getting into England and getting a job. Now the unemployment level in England stands at 1.6 million people - the highest for six years which is about 5.2%. Adding to the problem is the issue of the rising property market over the past few months. It keeps rising and it is forecasted to keep rising as a result of the forthcoming Olympics amongst other factors. We already heard about those that arrive and end up cleaning roads and other dirty jobs.

Do not get me wrong there is no problem in doing these jobs, it is the matter of can these job sustain the frequent increse in expense in England especially London. London has just recently overtaken Tokyo as the world's most expensive city with the rise in rent, mortgage, and other cost of living. I don't even want to get into the tax system because that in itself is enough to make you hate the country.

Furthermore, this upsurge in unemployment is set to increase hen Bulgaria and Romania citizens are allowed to walk into the country starting on the first of next year. When Poland joined it was estimated 400000 would come into the country in the first 3 years this figure had already quadrupled in the first two years.

As Nigerians we pride ourselves in owning properties and other long term assets. If the average graduate earning £24000 with most earning btw £16k and £21k, and the average house price in London is set at over £200k, with most graduates having over £20k of debt at time of graduation, how will these graduate ever get on the property ladder?
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by chimaze(m): 5:13am On Nov 07, 2006
tinard:

First-time buyers will have to fork out a cool million pounds to get a foothold on the property ladder in less than 20 years, data showed on Monday.

Full story at http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06112006/325/million-pound-starter-home-2024.html

We've seen graduates rushing to the British embassy and wasting all their savings in the hope of getting into England and getting a job. Now the unemployment level in England stands at 1.6 million people - the highest for six years which is about 5.2%. Adding to the problem is the issue of the rising property market over the past few months. It keeps rising and it is forecasted to keep rising as a result of the forthcoming Olympics amongst other factors. We already heard about those that arrive and end up cleaning roads and other dirty jobs.

Do not get me wrong there is no problem in doing these jobs, it is the matter of can these job sustain the frequent increse in expense in England especially London. London has just recently overtaken Tokyo as the world's most expensive city with the rise in rent, mortgage, and other cost of living. I don't even want to get into the tax system because that in itself is enough to make you hate the country.

Furthermore, this upsurge in unemployment is set to increase hen Bulgaria and Romania citizens are allowed to walk into the country starting on the first of next year. When Poland joined it was estimated 400000 would come into the country in the first 3 years this figure had already quadrupled in the first two years.

As Nigerians we pride ourselves in owning properties and other long term assets. If the average graduate earning £24000 with most earning between £16k and £21k, and the average house price in London is set at over £200k, with most graduates having over £20k of debt at time of graduation, how will these graduate ever get on the property ladder?

My bros abi sister tell our Nigerians person wey get ear make him hear.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by candylips(m): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2006
me sef dey hear am as i dey talk . e no easy for tis london
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by Seun(m): 8:55am On Nov 11, 2006
Places like England are good for students and employees who don't want to accumulate wealth. Only.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by Imani(f): 12:08pm On Nov 11, 2006
Seun:

Places like England are good for students and employees who don't want to accumulate wealth. Only.

That is quite true. I know a few people who are now leaving the UK after thier first degrees and Masters to set up in Nigeria. There are lots of opportunities back home. We only need to see them and make use of them.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by LoverBwoy(m): 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2006
You are always welcome in Nigeria you know grin

Why in this world will anyone(Nigerians) buy property there, when you can use the same amount to buy estates in nigeria?
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by candylips(m): 2:34am On Nov 12, 2006
LoverBwoy:

You are always welcome in Nigeria you know grin

Why in this world will anyone(Nigerians) buy property there, when you can use the same amount to buy estates in nigeria?

Abi o
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by chimaze(m): 12:46am On Nov 14, 2006
Seun:

@Segun you are very correct. If you are happy to earn salary and answer YES SIR untill you die England is for you. But if you want to be THE BEST YOU CAN BE then Nigeria is for you. Peace 2 U All.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by ThoniaSlim(f): 11:10am On Dec 09, 2006
Exactly cool
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by mrpataki(m): 2:30pm On Dec 09, 2006
We all concur to what the author of this tread has stated, but really the question i would like to ask is when i saw the topic, the first thing i did was to look at the location of the author found out that he stays in England. If what he says is true, why then is he still in England?
I obviously know the truth myself, but i want to know why he has still chosen to remain in England as indicated by him.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by segedoo(m): 9:59am On Dec 15, 2006
well, that's not totally true.
i've gotten a cousin in JD. She bought some property early last year and rented it out to pay the mortgage but she still stays at her momsie's and will be true with the paymants in about 7 years after which it'll be hers.

my aunt (her mom) resigned from her job as a matron and now has a shop where she sells clothing materials she imports from asia. believe me she's had her shares of tough times but now all that is history.

Believe me they are doing fine despite the tax and all.
at the day's end it boils down to whether u know how to play he game in JD or not/
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by andre5(f): 3:07pm On Dec 15, 2006
Absolute rubbish post, who on earth are you to give such advice, tell people what to do
with their lives, what are you doing in the UK then, i know people who have gone to
the UK and are successful and i know people who have gone and are not. diffrent strokes for
diffrent folks.It all depends on the individual, the skill they have and their determination.and who
wants to own properties in another mans land like u anyway. what a hypocrite!
If you want to advice people try a topic like "Another Reason Nigerian Graduates
Should Consider Before Coming To England
" not "Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't
Come To England
" my a55.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by tinard(m): 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2006
Thanks segedo u answered th question. If you find a way to enter legally it's unwise to leave without securing something here and my project is almost complete. Only a maximum of three years to go. End of 2006 was good hoping this will link up to 2007 and the rest is sorted. If you read other posts of mine, you'll realise i hate it here and i speak for a lot of people. They (we) just have to plan it or else you'll lose on both sides.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by edmondo(m): 2:19am On Dec 20, 2006
thank u, we don hear
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by Eurphoria(f): 2:21am On Dec 20, 2006
hmmm NL
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by LondonCool(m): 5:12pm On Mar 23, 2007
Despite the high cost of property its quite easy climbing the ladder in UK, you just need to be aligned to the right brokers and be smart. Lot's of Nigerian's own their own properties and have lots of Rental properties that are self-paying. There may be fire on the property mountain, but its not time to run,run,run. The property I purchased for £170,000 in 2006 was now valued at £190,000 last November.There may be Giants in the land but we are more than able to overcome.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by Digiman(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2008
Anyone who is ready and willing to work hard came live comfortably in the UK, just make sure you have the correct paper's and you are honest in all your affairs.

Property may be expensive but it does not mean you will have difficulty getting on the property ladder, you can go for a part buy part rent scheme, you could also pool resources with 1 or 2 people you trust to purchase a property to live in for a couple of years, when the time comes to move on sell up and use the extra cash as a deposit for your own property.

As far as jobs are concerned be willing to take anything that comes you way just to keep a roof over you head and food to eat, be prepared to seize job opportiunities as they present themselves, use each job to gain experience and look at each job as a stepping stone to yoyur final destination. You should even consider starting you own business after a few years
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by olupahpah(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2008
Digiman:

Anyone who is ready and willing to work hard came live comfortably in the UK, just make sure you have the correct paper's and you are honest in all your affairs.

Property may be expensive but it does not mean you will have difficulty getting on the property ladder, you can go for a part buy part rent scheme, you could also pool resources with 1 or 2 people you trust to purchase a property to live in for a couple of years, when the time comes to move on sell up and use the extra cash as a deposit for your own property.

As far as jobs are concerned be willing to take anything that comes you way just to keep a roof over you head and food to eat, be prepared to seize job opportiunities as they present themselves, use each job to gain experience and look at each job as a stepping stone to yoyur final destination. You should even consider starting you own business after a few years

digiman

your words are very encouraging,,,BUT
is it really worth it ??

how long will our people keep settling for less or anything that comes their way in order to live in the so called "promised land".

It is so hard and difficult now getting by everyday!!
With the right papers sef work is hard to come by.

There are so many GRADUATES going back home now and in MY opinion i think it is the best, you might wonder that i am still here, yes but not for long.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by zigbo(f): 10:23pm On Jan 04, 2008

As Nigerians we pride ourselves in owning properties and other long term assets. If the average graduate earning £24000 with most earning between £16k and £21k, and the average house price in London is set at over £200k, with most graduates having over £20k of debt at time of graduation, how will these graduate ever get on the property ladder?

@ poster, u made it sound like people are expected to down pay for a house. if i am not mistaking, In the uk people get mortgages and can pay for a house over a period of years infact decades maybe at a rate of 1000pounds/month. I know abt the credit crunch but it is very very difficult for people to be refused mortgages, cuzz all it takes is for you to have a good bank credit.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by Digiman(m): 12:37pm On Jan 05, 2008
olupahpah:

digiman

your words are very encouraging,,,BUT
is it really worth it ??

how long will our people keep settling for less or anything that comes their way in order to live in the so called "promised land".

The system in the UK makes it easier for those who grew up here to get jobs easily believe it or not, I have worked with many poeple who have never set foot in a university  yet by working their way up the ranks have reached managerial positions or are are in jobs with a  +30k package.
If you come here with a degree be ready to work twice as hard as your counterparts yu will reap the rewards before long.

It is so hard and difficult now getting by everyday!!
With the right papers sef work is hard to come by.

Years ago I used to apply for jobs on a weekly basis till I eventualy got one, prior to that I worked a part time job stacking shelfs while studying part time.  I go so used to applying for jobs and attending interviews it became second nature to me , I mastered the art till I go to the point where I would always get selected / invited for interviews, you need to be able to  fill in a application form or submitt a CV that will get you noticed, once you are in the next stage is the interview it's self , do your research, sell you self, do not give them a reason for not wanting to employ you , most importantly you must be good at what you do otherwise you will not last in the job.
Each time you get a rejection just come back fighting  cool.

There are so many GRADUATES going back home now and in MY opinion i think it is the best, you might wonder that i am still here, yes but not for long.

If everyone overseas went back home looking for work won't that  make the job market situation worse  ?, imagine if employers decided to take on returnees because of their skills / experience  while negleting the thousands of  locally educated graduates who have been around  all the while you have been away.

I am not against anyone going back home, my advice is that if you are thinking of going back home think of what you can put back in to it  make the place better, it could be in the form of investments or business and also have  some spare cash just in case things don't work out you can always check out  wink.

andre5:

Absolute rubbish post, who on earth are you to give such advice, tell people what to do
with their lives, what are you doing in the UK then, i know people who have gone to
the UK and are successful and i know people who have gone and are not. diffrent strokes for
diffrent folks.It all depends on the individual, the skill they have and their determination.and who
wants to own [b]properties
in another mans land like u anyway. what a hypocrite!
If you want to advice people try a topic like "Another Reason Nigerian Graduates
Should Consider Before Coming To England
" not "Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't
Come To England
" my a55.
[/b]

On the question you raised about buying property overseas, here is my take on it:

The reason why it's a good idea to by porperty in another mans land is that its a good investment, even if you intend to go back home after 5 - 10 years it makes sense because when you sell up your property would have increased in value, no bank will give you the same amount of return on your investment.
You could choose to reinvest the money ,  start a business or even build you own property back home.

I know people who have purchased poperty in places like Dubai, Florida, France and Spain even though they do not live there. Even the Arabs buy properties all over the world because it's a sound investment.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by faketan(m): 4:02pm On Jan 05, 2008
Hehehehehe
no comment.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by manmustwac(m): 2:05pm On Jan 06, 2008
Anyone who wan travel. Make he travel. They say experience is the best teacher. Just make sure dat your friends here go arrange work for you or arrange dagbo N I number or British Passprt for you to work if you no get papers.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by wany(f): 11:33am On Jan 07, 2008
check your senses right when next you want to start a thread.you have no right to tell people how to live their lives.do you no the numbers of 9jas in the uk,for your info 70% are doing very well.if you are not making it out,my brother pls pls come back home.lets those that are ready to rough it out do so ok.dont scare people away why you are still there.i have hear a lot of this crap from you guys in uk always jabbing how tough uk and the entire europe is,but yet you guys are still there.come back home and tell me the story and i will listen better bro.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by zigbo(f): 9:55pm On Jan 07, 2008
@wany lol

@digiman jst to correct u a little,most people who come bak to nigeria hardly intend to remain other people's employees forever. sooner or later they will start employing, so at the end of the day y'all need them undecided
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by zerozero1(m): 2:32pm On Jan 11, 2008
MY GUY!! howmany graduates in NAIJA just wake up after 1 year of working at e.g OCEANIC bank and rush too Diya Fatimilehin saying they want to buy just a common 3 bedroom flat with their hard earned money? Let ppl huzzle in JD, it's intersting doing it there than just romancing pillowsand beds here,
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by Mojir(f): 2:01pm On Jan 21, 2008
Hello Nairalanders,

Please is it possible to obtain a Nigerian passport without actually going through a passport agent?

If yes, then how long will the process takes even after making the on-line payment?

Please share with me your experience.
Re: Another Reason Why Nigerian Graduates Shouldn't Come To England by fatherab1: 4:20pm On Jan 25, 2008
For the fact that som1 is still hanging in UK or anywhere else does not mean he/she is doing well. I advise that nigerians doggedly determined 2 'cut out' should either go there as STUDENTS, INVESTORS or PREACHERS!

If the plight of nigeria is not paramount on ur mind anywhere u r abroad or a'home, then u r not different from that state governor that stashed billions of naira in an european bank! N$N$N$N$N$

(1) (Reply)

Book Your Us Visa Appointment Urself. / Uk, Usa Visa Issues. Pls Advice Me. / What Language Should I Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.