Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,178 members, 7,829,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 - Sports (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 (92463 Views)

Nigeria Vs Zambia: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier - 1 - 0 (Full Time) / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by elampiro(m): 8:08pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho played as a support striker and had a role of dropping deeper to help. That left Ighalo up front alone. Remember earlier in the game, Iheanacho was not seen until he started dropping deeper. Nothing stops the point man from dropping deep once in a while. Ighalo hardly made breathing space for himself but stayed with the defenders throughout.

Nothing stops Lukaku or Aguero from dropping deep to tighten the midfield and increase possession. These guys do it repeatedly but Ighalo hardly did. Ighalo needs reinvention of his game.

It's good you know Iheanacho was the support striker/central attacking midfield.

Ighalo on the other hand was used just the way he plays his game for Watford. Strikers are different, and it is left to the coach to build his strategy around the attributes of their strikers.

Aguero is good dropping to do some build up. Chicharito and Inzaghi play on the shoulder of the last man and are great inbox poachers. Thiery Henry and Antony Martial drift to the wing always and drive the ball in. Yekini on the shoulder of the last men. Etc

A good coach looks at this qualities and work around them. Ighalo did well with his hold up play between two big defenders. It's no even that he was inside the box throughout.

Ighalo playing between two defenders meant Iheanacho and other attacking players having more space to operate. But Iheanacho and Musa kept making wrong passes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by douchesnozzle(m): 8:11pm On Mar 25, 2016
Thank God say I no watch the match. As I on gen switch to AIT, as soon as I saw the picture quality and lackluster 10min, nobody tell me say fuel is now 170 per litre. I respect myself switch off my gen enter nairaland.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Dragonking: 8:11pm On Mar 25, 2016
omofunaab:

U dense gan, who told you Victor Moses is from delta state
were is he from?
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2016
elampiro:

It's good you know Iheanacho was the support striker/central attacking midfield.

Ighalo on the other hand was used just the way he plays his game for Watford. Strikers are different, and it is left to the coach to build his strategy around the attributes of their strikers.

Aguero is good dropping to do some build up. Chicharito and Inzaghi play on the shoulder of the last man and are great inbox poachers. Thiery Henry and Antony Martial drift to the wing always and drive the ball in. Yekini on the shoulder of the last men. Etc

A good coach look at this quality and work around them. Ighalo did well with his hold up play between two big defenders. It's no even that he was inside the box throughout.

Ighalo playing between two defenders meant Iheanacho and other attacking players having more space to operate. But Iheanacho and Musa kept making wrong passes.

If we were to go all night with this game, Ighalo's style will not work. That is my problem with him. He did not offer any other invention to his game.

The Egyptians understood his play and he continued that way. Other strikers innovate other means when their approach is not working but Ighalo continued the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by ajatim(m): 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2016
when x d return leg match pls
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2016
This has to be the best nigeria game I've ever watched...the second half of the game was superb...damn!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by ajatim(m): 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2016
when is d return leg match pls

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
Mediapace:
The rule is don't blow when the ball is with the loosing side
What kind of rule is that? You don't know what you're talking about.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by baum1: 8:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
ajatim:

Tue, 4 days time
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
Saklekplus:

I concur with u,it's just that siasia need more goals but never see this coming, even nobody expect this with the performance of Eagle,, but we should blame defenders for unexpected blunders

I also blame the coach. The Egyptians threw in more strikers. They were going to get deadlier with more direct play. Coach Siasia did nothing to neutralize their threat.

He takes a big blame for this and I hope he corrects this in the next game. We need discipline against the group leaders.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by onos217(m): 8:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
I still cannot understand why we the fans has refused to give this team a hint of praise.
If we must be honest with ourselves,we faired better than the Egyptians.
Luck was just not on our side,and I see this same Eagles of ours clenching victory in Egypt come next week Tuesday.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 25, 2016
nigeria was just unlucky.....did you guys saw that ball that almost entered the net but was cleared by one idiotic Egyptian defender

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Dhavido(m): 8:17pm On Mar 25, 2016
The guys did try, I was expecting them to be bashed but they played well, the only defect was the defence and I'm sure they would have a victory in Egypt if they play the same way but with a more composed defence.

GOODLUCK EAGLES, YOU CAN FLY IN EGYPT

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If we were to go all night with this game, Ighalo's style will not work. That is my problem with him. He did not offer any other invention to his game.

The Egyptians understood his play and he continued that way. Other strikers innovate other means when their approach is not working but Ighalo continued the same thing.
Yes. You knew exactly about that. So, I wish the coach will bring Adi who they knew nothing about.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by princfred(m): 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2016
UNECboi:
This has to be the best nigeria game I've ever watched...the second half of the game was superb...damn!
Yeah expect that from SiASiA. He is our special one . If not for the sabotage by some players the last time........ he is tactically and technically very sound.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by collinx(m): 8:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
princejayboss:

They had a wonderful game.... I think if we had more time to prepare or play together... We can defend and keep offside trap a team .... It will be hard to win in Cairo ... It will be a hostile environment... Did you see the kill sign by the Egyptian goalkeeper... It show the average mind of a Muslim from north Africa

I thought I was the only one that saw that kill sign from the Egyptian keeper. CAF should look seriously at that, it's just football and not a matter of life and death!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by elampiro(m): 8:22pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Ighalo's destraction of the two centre defenders was enough. That paved way for Musa, Iheanacho to have a go at goal. Ighalo did a one two pass with Musa to set Musa free in the box in the first half. He also did some one two pass with Iheanacho, this was Ighalo who was heavily policed. He did his job well. If Iheanacho had to play as our point man between the two defenders, he would have been bullied off the ball easily.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 25, 2016
collinx:

I thought I was the only one that saw that kill sign from the Egyptian keeper. CAF should look seriously at that, it's just football and not a matter of life and death!
Unfortunately, that's one of their antics. Egypt is beatable at home. And the weather in Cairo would be favourable for our pros.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Dhavido(m): 8:25pm On Mar 25, 2016
baum1:

Thanks, mhen..Na God face we go dey look now...
you're welcome, I believe we will beat Egypt if the coach works on the defence, the attack and midfield is tight
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:26pm On Mar 25, 2016
elampiro:

Ighalo's destraction of the two centre defenders was enough. That paved way for Musa, Iheanacho to have a go at goal. Ighalo did a one two pass with Musa to set Musa free in the box in the first half. He also did some one two pass with Iheanacho, this was Ighalo who was heavily policed. He did his job well. If Iheanacho had to play as our point man between the two defenders, he would have been bullied off the ball easily.

I do not think Iheanacho would get bullied throughout the game. It takes a little innovation to reduce the defensive threats. Just like Aguero in a lot of games. When the pressure gets too much for him, he drops deep, pulling out the defenders with him and spray the passes around for the Wingers and wing backs to exploit the game created in the defense.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 25, 2016
princfred:
Yeah expect that from SiASiA. He is our special one . If not for the sabotage by some players the last time........ he is tactically and technically very sound.
omo those players were on fire in the second half except the defenders....the team's attacking capability is just so impressive......anticipating a win in Cairo for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by HRich(m): 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2016
DeBamenda:

angry angry angry
Nigeria 1 - 1 Egypt
Nigeria should be thanksful to the referee. The ref gave Nigeria the point they got.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Mekyno(m): 8:29pm On Mar 25, 2016
dominique:

Oh my word!!!
i tink he is right. His 1st officially recognised debut.
It seems d frndly match was nt recognised by FIFA because England wanted him to play for them b4 today's game. My view
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by spartanobad(m): 8:30pm On Mar 25, 2016
HRich:
Sallah will Run Nigerian Defenders down. Egypt 5 - 0 Nigeria
olodo what was d score undecided
HRich:
Sallah will Run Nigerian Defenders down. Egypt 5 - 0 Nigeria
olodo what was d score
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 25, 2016
The boys played very well but somehow, I think God of soccer didn't want us to win this match in order not to relax in Egypt and then lose.

Adi is really needed in North Africa because Igahlo is predictable and couldn't deceive the Egyptians with some tricks.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by HRich(m): 8:37pm On Mar 25, 2016
ajatim:
Tuesday
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by elampiro(m): 8:38pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not think Iheanacho would get bullied throughout the game. It takes a little innovation to reduce the defensive threats. Just like Aguero in a lot of games. When the pressure gets too much of him, he drops deep, pulling out the defenders with him and spray the passes around for the Wingers and wing backs to exploit the game created in the defense.

Aguero's game is different.

Moreover Aguero is a better striker/point man than Ighalo. And Ighalo is a better striker/point man than Iheanacho. If Iheanacho played as 9 and dropped deep, that frees one Egyptian central defender to stall the build up of the Eagles.

I think you are taking your eyes off individual attributes. For instance, Rooney naturally drop deep to involve in build up play. Bervatov does same. Torres does same. But Drogba, Van Persie tend to play around the box. Chicharito and Inaghi likes inside the box.

I didn't expect Ighalo to play any differently other than hang around, hold the ball and wait for moments.
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Jbuster: 8:42pm On Mar 25, 2016
Please, where were the supporters club members, with their drums and trumpets? I'm fully convinced we will defeat Egypt in the reverse fixture

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by Mekyno(m): 8:42pm On Mar 25, 2016
elampiro:

he tried bt he would hv changed wing to no 11 position.
For the bully stuff, we need Aaron samuel n aminu umar (d tall no 12 dat came in as sub) in d return game, then ighalo, musa/moses will come in in the 2nd half.
Kelechi tried bt he was too upfront, nt coming to collect ball frm mikel n etebor. Iwobi should start ahead of kelechi in egypt....my view
Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43pm On Mar 25, 2016
elampiro:

Aguero's game is different.

Moreover Aguero is a better striker/point man than Ighalo. And Ighalo is a better striker/point man than Iheanacho. If Iheanacho played as 9 and dropped deep, that frees one Egyptian central defender to stall the build up of the Eagles.

I think you are taking your eyes off individual attributes. For instance, Rooney naturally drop deep to involve in build up play. Bervatov does same. Torres does same. But Drogba, Van Persie tend to play around the box. Chicharito and Inaghi likes inside the box.

I didn't expect Ighalo to play any differently other than hang around, hold the ball and wait for moments.

You are pointing out that these attackers have innovative ideas to score goals when things do not come in easy. What is Ighalo's innovative approach when things get hard?

That is my problem. He just did the same thing. Which is easy for any top defender to stop.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 by DoctorMcgruff: 8:47pm On Mar 25, 2016
Nigeria needs to employ a second more defensive lineup, Siasia should play a 5-3-2 with a triangle 3 (1 attacking mid, 2 defensive) here is why

1. Ighalo plays well with a striker next to him, part of the damage he does for Watford can be attributed to Troy Deeney's work next to him. Siasia should play Ighalo with Kelechi Uptop. Kelechi can create well enough for a striker, remeber the flick to sterling in the mancity pregame? or even Musa/Ighalo or Kelechi/Musa

2. 5 defenders will helps us protect the back, it will also help us play around with the mid 3, we could have 2 attacking mids in such a formation to help us offensivley

3. He should play Iwobi behind the two strikers, One thing i like about iwobi is he makes smart plays and can attack the box.

My issues with this lineup are two fold, i dont have confidence in our fullbacks and their ability to whip in balls, which is crucial in such a formation and Wingers like Moses Simon could be left in the cold. We could play him uptop, but who knows

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

Mama Arsenal: Hassan Nasimot Amoke Awarded N250, 000 For Her Passion (Photos) / Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Hushpuppi: Who Wore It Better? / Moment Sergio Aguero Gifted His N29m Range Rover EVQ To Man City's Kitman (Vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.