Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. (29939 Views)

Stephanie Hegarty Reacts To Magu's Rejection By Nigerian Senate / Senate Fails To Screen Magu, EFCC Boss / Senate's Rejection Of The Gender Equality Bill: Nigerians React On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by mccoy47(m): 8:51pm On Mar 15, 2016
freecocoa:
Oh! Really? Please tell me more about it, seeing that you've been there through it all.

Common u seem smart na. Prove me right!
So judging by your sarcastic question, you mean, Tinibu's daughter is also the chairman of all marketers in lagos cuz she is smart, or tinubu's son-in-law, a commissioner in lagos cuz he can deliver? Or his cousin a lawmaker in lagos Cuz he is
Wow! The Tinubus must really have impressive genes. But I wonder why they don't shine beyond Nigeria! !!
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by donem: 8:55pm On Mar 15, 2016
dearpreye:

Gender equality is not part of our so called African tradition but looting, tribalism, ethnic cleaning, jungle justice, worshipping of thieves , etc , are a part of our African traditions? Isn't it?

At Topic : How could a corrupt and depraved Senate with the likes of Yerima, a known paedophile or Dino, a known wife beater, support such a bill?

I'm sure you've not even read a page or course from such a great bill. If you had, you won't tow the path you did. The bill seeks to eliminate ALL forms of violence and deprivation against our women. What's wrong with allowing our women become all Providence has empowered
them to be?

Sire I understand your points, but truth be told if that bill is passed, same women would have it misconstrued.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by donem: 9:00pm On Mar 15, 2016
bughead:
like a baby undecided
do you have any problem with the way I sleep at night undecided
Nice one at the bolded haha God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by SirShymexx: 9:07pm On Mar 15, 2016
Missy89:

What does ti.ts have to do with a gender equality bill?

Typical you.

Lol. But are ya right and left ti.ts equal? grin

Anyway, I can't blame them for not passing the bill cos the typical naij/black woman isn't a virtuous woman. And once you start giving them too much freedom, you'll end up destroying everything.

You can see how a lot of re.tarded female posters on here frown all the time about cooking for their partners. And a lot of black chics don't cook for their partners cos they think they've arrived. But funny enough, I was chatting to my white colleague today after work and can you believe this guy's girl has already packed the sandwich, chocolate, and drinks he'll need at work tomorrow? On the flip side, you can't tell a black biitch to do that, else she's going to start asking you if she's ya slave and telling you stories that touch the heart about how this is the 21st century.

African men need to keep these women in check and this bill might be a blessing in disguise regardless of how folks feel about it. There has to always be an order and men are naturally at the top of the hierarchical structure. African women need to respect that and maintain their position. All fingers aren't equal. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by uzolexis(f): 9:08pm On Mar 15, 2016
i am ashamed of this shameless pot bellied men we call senators angry angry cry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by freecocoa(f): 9:09pm On Mar 15, 2016
mccoy47:

Common u seem smart na. Prove me right!
So judging by your sarcastic question, you mean, Tinibu's daughter is also the chairman of all marketers in lagos cuz she is smart, or tinubu's son-in-law, a commissioner in lagos cuz he can deliver? Or his cousin a lawmaker in lagos Cuz he is
Wow! The Tinubus must really have impressive genes. But I wonder why they don't shine beyond Nigeria! !!
You haven't said anything as regards what I asked.

Tell me how Remi became who she is, simply by marrying Tinubu, he bought her certificates, no?
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Realitybites: 9:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
Amazing how people will worship the god of the people who enslaved them. How stupid and backward it not to suport a bill like this. People dont want equality for their own personal reasons and use religion to justify it. Same as its used to oppress homosexual people etc. When will humanity realise their is no gods or spirits. no devils and demons, no heaven or hell, no farther xmas or ghosts. Stop being so superstitious and make it a better life for all. Its the only one we got

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Missy89(f): 9:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
SirShymexx:

Lol. But are ya right and left ti.ts equal? grin

Anyway, I can't blame them for not passing the bill cos the typical naij/black woman isn't a virtuous woman. And once you start giving them too much freedom, you'll end up destroying everything.

You can see how a lot of re.tarded female posters on here frown all the time about cooking for their partners. And a lot of black chics don't cook for their partners cos they think they've arrived. But funny enough, I was chatting to my white colleague today after work and can you believe this guy's girl has already packed the sandwich, chocolate, and drinks he'll need at work tomorrow? On the flip side, you can't tell a black biitch to do that, else she's going to start asking you if she's ya slave and telling you stories that touch the heart about how this is the 21st century.

African men need to keep these women in check and this bill might be a blessing in disguise regardless of how folks feel about it. There has to always be an order and men are naturally at the top of the hierarchical structure. African women need to respect that and maintain their position. All fingers aren't equal. grin

Whatever floats your boat sir undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 15, 2016
kingkakaone:

i am not against women but am here to say something real. D western world dat is pushing for gender equality are all hypocrites. wen last did a woman rule America? some ignorant people will say Hilary Clinton is there but d truth is dat u will see dat those clowns will never vote her to be the president.
Most of the polls predict a Hillary Clinton win in November
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
uzolexis:
i am ashamed of this shameless pot bellied men we call senators angry angry cry
I can't believe some people in this century are essentially in favor of violence against women.
It's pathetic.
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Misterdhee1(m): 9:18pm On Mar 15, 2016
quivah:
This marlockj is a confirm mumu illiterate, just imagine all the crap he has been writing and some group of guys will come here to shout their usual nonsense : men are superior If that dude is the average man you are clamouring to be superior than I am sorry.. I'm far superior, intelligent, smarter, better than him.. Its a fact!! I'm more 'man' than him.. No reasonable woman(a wife) should even submit to such dead brain else, her life is ruined.
This aboki marloclj no even fit reach 1/3 of me and he's claiming 'Man'..
Funniest thing is, he's even proud about his stupidity.. Just imagine!!

Worthy of note. I am equal to any man, no man is superior than I am...however, I can only submit to my husband. So all those jargons about men being superior is utter nonsense and a pile of shit..
Accept this and start being a man 'beyond your third leg '..
You men and any other women out there are EQUAL. You can only claim leadership in your marriage not socially ..
Just imagine this one particular rabid dog ,,marlockj... Gosh!! I feel sorry for superiority, it has been rubbished!
Sure.. But as long as your husband is a man and you submit to him, A man is Superior to you. It's just what Nature has ordained right from the Beginning!
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Misterdhee1(m): 9:23pm On Mar 15, 2016
Even in the famous Animal Kingdom, all animals aren't equal. What the Nation needs is a bill to protect Women more against all domestic and Social Violences, not to twist Nature..
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by SirShymexx: 9:25pm On Mar 15, 2016
Missy89:

Whatever floats your boat sir undecided

Lol. I like it when you use "Sir" for me. That shows I'm a real African man - the original black man. cool grin

Err, how come boys always outperform girls in STEM despite the fact that they all attend the same schools and have the same tutors? And even in technical professions, with more opportunities for women these days, men still outperform women? It's funny how folks think we're equal, yet I always bail out my female colleagues almost everyday whenever they hit a snag. And when it comes to physical attributes, you can't compare men and women.

I think the only area where women naturally outperform men is language/linguistics/writing.

Not that I'm against the bill, but the noise about equality/inequality is just deafening/nauseating cos both sexes can never be equal - that's just the truth. And we're wired differently, apart from having different anatomies. So even if they passed the bill, it won't change anything. That said, Nigeria is on the right path and there aren't too many countries in the world where women are allowed in position of power like Nigeria. A country with back to back female finance ministers isn't that bad cos that has never happened in both the UK and US.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by uzolexis(f): 9:27pm On Mar 15, 2016
CFCman:

I can't believe some people in this century are essentially in favor of violence against women.
It's pathetic.
what baffles me more are the comments from guys,saying Nigerian women need to be put in their place of being inferior to men...i have no words
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by joseph1832(m): 9:35pm On Mar 15, 2016
freecocoa:
Just imagine the nonsense.

One even quoted the bible against equal opportunity,do I blame him? All these nonsense of discriminating/ injustice to women probably started with the bible/quran.

Useless mofos. angry
So its not their fault, that's the way they're been wired, considering the fact that most if not all of them are christians and moslems.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Missy89(f): 9:43pm On Mar 15, 2016
SirShymexx:

Lol. I like it when you use "Sir" for me. That shows I'm a real African man - the original black man. cool grin

Err, how come boys always outperform girls in STEM despite the fact that they all attend the same schools and have the same tutors? And even in technical professions, with more opportunities for women these days, men still outperform women? It's funny how folks think we're equal, yet I always bail out my female colleagues almost everyday whenever they hit a snag. And when it comes to physically attributes, you can't compare men and women.

I think the only areas where women naturally outperform men is language/linguistics/writing.

Not that I'm against the bill, but the noise about equality/inequality is just deafening/nauseating cos both sexes can never be equal - that's just the truth. And we're wired differently, apart from having different anatomies. So even if they passed the bill, it won't change anything. That said, Nigeria is on the right path and there aren't too many countries in the world where women are allowed in position of power like Nigeria. A country with back to back female finance ministers isn't that bad cos that has never happened in both the UK and US.

It is like assuming blacks are not equal to their white counterparts because they dont do well in standardized tests. If i should remember correctly, you believe that the only reason blacks are not outperforming other races is because of the kind of system they find themselves in.

This STEM theory is very flawed since gender representation in STEM is not the same. Most female students prefer social sciences. If you look at the performance of both genders in that field, women will probably have better ratings. That doesnt mean they are better at it.

Back to back female finance ministers doesn't mean anything. Do you really want to compare how a western cabinet position work to Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by alajimeche: 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2016
zicoraads:
Agreed the bill needed areas that needed working on. But shooting down the entire thing? Shocking!
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by CookieBrown: 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2016
blackpanda:
Gender equality is not part of our African tradition. Women must be subservient to men cos women are under men. We dont want gender equality, just the same way we dont want homosexuality. Let us follow our african values to the latter!

Gender equality is not part of our African tradition - Nigerian tradition is now the same as the African tradition? What tradition are we talking about by the way? The same one your knuckle dragging forefathers created out of thin air? If you really believe in this " African tradition" as you claim, why not crawl back into the cave you originated from? Why not take off your English made clothes, Asian made phones, German made cars e.t.c. ? Bloody hypocrite and savage, why are you so afraid of Women? Rubbish African Tradition that has contributed nothing in your life or this World.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by youngguru23(m): 9:55pm On Mar 15, 2016
mccoy47:
Equal rights Equal rights yet they would be the one to always ask for help in the most mundane ish.

Equal employment opportunities yet they would ask for 6months maternity leave, heartbreak leave and if care is not taken, they would ask for menstrual cramps leave!

Equal rights yet a man is crucified before the world and press the moment a lady accuses him of rape, without even hearing his side And if tables are turned the man (victim) is mocked!

Equal rights yet a man is expected to always be the provider in a home, and in a situation where the man lags behind, he is called a lazy man, nobody calls the woman that!

Equal rights yet in dire emergency situations women and children are carried to saftey 1st. And the men maybe later.

Where do I start and where do I stop?
God will punish the next mouth that shouts equal rights. Wether owned by a man or woman!!!

Barman help me serve this man 12 bottles of chilled Orijin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by lesbiangirl(f): 10:10pm On Mar 15, 2016
After reading comments on this thread I'll say ladies shudnt waste their breath on the men; coz we failed on this one. How long are we gonna keep blaming the men, the likes of Remi, Stella, Abike and co are extremely useless and foolish. Have never met people dt slow before. You mean they cudnt rally women and support d bill, all they knw is how to embezzle money and all. How are the men gonna take us seriously if we don't put more effort on it. Educate every man in ur life concerning d bill coz am sure none of d myopic males commenting didn't read what d bill is all abt. They're just blabbing abt a woman nt collecting their money. How much una get sef for dis forum

Women need to do regroup, re-strategize and also kick dose useless women in d senate out! My 2kobo

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by SirShymexx: 10:11pm On Mar 15, 2016
Missy89:

It is like assuming blacks are not equal to their white counterparts because they dont do well in standardized tests. If i should remember correctly, you believe that the only reason blacks are not outperforming other races is because of the kind of system they find themselves in.

This STEM theory is very flawed since gender representation in STEM is not the same. Most female students prefer social sciences. If you look at the performance of both genders in that field, women will probably have better ratings. That doesnt mean they are better at it.

Back to back female finance ministers doesn't mean anything. Do you really want to compare how a western cabinet position work to Nigeria?

Err, when it comes black vs. white, blacks have nothing to prove since a black man, ImHotep, will always be the father of science, medicine, and astronomy - and everything the Greeks were known for was credited to him. And we can look at the middle ages and how the Europeans studied everything they used for western civilisation (maths, sciences et al) from the black moors. Even when you read about the geniuses AAs have produced and how they're the brains behind a lot of the things the US is known for, you can't even make that argument. Even in the UK, the youngest kids to ever pass GCSE exams are black Nigerian kids from Peckham. No comparisons there.

The pineal gland that produces melanin is the reason why the cerebral cortex of the black people might be superior to that of white folks. And though I'm not making arguments for superiority - I think the reason why white people outperform black folks has more to do with the system. The system is theirs and it's natural to them. While it's foreign to us. We're wired differently and globalisation can't change that.

Anyway, leave racial and cultural differences out of gender - no correlation whatsoever.
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by tosyne2much(m): 10:26pm On Mar 15, 2016
I don't want to sound like a misogynist but all I can say is that this is Nigeria for crying out loud... No matter how ladies rant and cry, such policy cannot work so the earlier the better we stop getting worked up over this gender equality of a thing

For every law that will be implement, our culture and tradition are at least taken into consideration.. Our culture and religion places woman beneath men and nothing can change that

I don't just get this rant... Are you people saying they should implement a law that will put women in a position to go to war front and fight against Boko Haram?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by donem: 10:27pm On Mar 15, 2016
SirShymexx:

Err, how come boys always outperform girls in STEM despite the fact that they all attend the same schools and have the same tutors? And even in technical professions, with more opportunities for women these days, men still outperform women? It's funny how folks think we're equal, yet I always bail out my female colleagues almost everyday whenever they hit a snag. And when it comes to physical attributes, you can't compare men and women.

I think the only area where women naturally outperform men is language/linguistics/writing.

Sir I respect your well articulated writeup, uve just written the gospel truth.

To be frank your wisdom is too much for Naira land, I'll recommend reddit to you.

Let's call a spade a spade and not a shovel (women the world over can never attain real gender equality).
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by Missy89(f): 10:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
SirShymexx:

Err, when it comes black vs. white, blacks have nothing to prove since a black man, ImHotep, will always be the father of science, medicine, and astronomy - and everything the Greeks were known for was credited to him. And we can look at the middle ages and how the Europeans studied everything they used for western civilisation (maths, sciences et al) from the black moors. Even when you read about the geniuses AAs have produced and how they're the brains behind a lot of the things the US is known for, you can't even make that argument. Even in the UK, the youngest kids to ever pass GCSE exams are black Nigerian kids from Peckham. No comparisons there.

The pineal gland that produces melanin is the reason why the cerebral cortex of the black people might be superior to that of white folks. And though I'm not making arguments for superiority - I think the reason why white people outperform black folks has more to do with the system. The system is theirs and it's natural to them. While it's foreign to us. We're wired differently and globalisation can't change that.

Anyway, leave racial and cultural differences out of gender - no correlation whatsoever.

Lol

I can't believe you are failing to see how your race argument can be related to gender inequality. You think the system is preventing blacks from outperforming or competing with whites yet the system just failed women from having necessary protection that will make them competitive and better protected and that shouldn't be an issue.

Whatever u say.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by adefizzy(m): 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2016
The reality is that God didn't create us to be the same and HE never created anyone to be the slave to the other. Even without d bill, young women are getting better jobs than men nw, more wives are becoming more violent in marriage than husbands , a reason why a wife stab his husband to death in ibadan. I just hope after the passing of the bill into Law, more women will started taking responsibilities of approaching men for relationship; paying the groom-price instead Bride price; financing the major project in the family, protecting their men wen there's danger and giving their men a shoulder to lean on instead of looking for men who can protect them.

They say Women Empowerment, with deep thinking, are women really powerless?

Can a powerless person change the mind of a king just as Esther did?
Can a powerless person capture a warrior just as Dellilah captured Samson?
Can a powerless person lead a war just as Deborah led israel against the well-equipped Sisera and all his charioteers and warrior even when Barak wasn't confident enough.
We have endless list of great women.

Men and women are not configured the same way, where their strength lies differ,however, the fact remains that both of them are powerful in their role. Therefore, that bill is useless.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by noblegrex: 10:35pm On Mar 15, 2016
bughead:
you can't just change what has been in centuries in just one day!

you can't just turn back history in a day!

it is always like that for ages. WOMEN can never be equal and there is nothing like gender equality.
I wonder what they're looking for.they're loved and cared for already.just that they're asking for too much.the creator is supreme,he's made men already to be the boss.but put love of the women in his heart that can turn him to the servant.But this women though. Hmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by bughead: 10:37pm On Mar 15, 2016
MarieSucre:

I am very on point. You're the one who keeps evading. Let mW make it clear to you so you will no longer be confused. The issue is not definition of the terms formication. slavery or equality. The issue is the divine authority you're hiding behind to back them.

You said in a previous post and I'll paraphrase "The bible does not condone equality... woman was created from man's ribs".
I am now asking you that, if you accept the Bible's injunctions on this status, then do you also accept that the bible condones slavery and will you and your girlfriend consent to be stoned to death for fonication? Simple

freecocoa *sighs* my head aches.
go read about your Quran before you start shouting.

if I start explaining to you, you won't still understand so what's the need?
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by onoja12: 10:48pm On Mar 15, 2016
The law is already clear on that,if the husband wishes for his wife to inherit. all he needs to do is write it in his will.not given women some automatic status that would turn our wife's to killing machines,go to the west,divorce rate is 70-80% , men are already endangered ,you now want all of them to be killed,all a woman need do is find a rich man,marry him and kill him end of story.since the woman said the bill was gender equality ,i wonder how come she didn't make the law both ways,man and woman,how come it is only women,then you want us to believe that it is gender equality

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by bughead: 10:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
lilzcee:
the day u walk to a guy u like and woo him then we can talk about equilty, u ladies expect alot from us, nothing like equilty
thank you and cas close.

they can all shout what they want and can't do anything.

as far as this earth is still in motion, WOMEN can never be equal with men and there is nothing like equality.

call me names. I don't care!

a rat is a rat and a Cat is a Cat.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by noblegrex: 10:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
valslove8715:

Remind me of Jezebel in d bible
that even aside.women always ask for what they can't handle.that's how they behave.the facts still remains that you cannot strenghthen thee WEAK by weakening the STRONG.they'll even cry for help if given power to operate.can women face BOKO can they,infact let me stop count.so many things women can't face..they shouldn't bite what they can't chew..
Re: Nigerian Senate Fails To Pass The Gender And Equal Opportunities Bill. by bughead: 10:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
lastpage:

Anyone with sense would not support that but l am sure we both know that Slavery has been abolished (there are pockets of people who sue was is similar to slavery ...like paying too little for labour or using "House-Boy/Girl).
Govt can make Laws to proscribe such Acts so that if covers both genders, instead of women alone. undecided

Stoning fornicators is curently still being practiced as an Islamic/religious injunction and as such, only those who present themselves as adherents of such religion, have a problem with it.
Nigeria is not an Islamic country (we are secular) and as such, it is the Constitution of Nigeria, which does not have such clauses, tha govern a Nigerian in cases like fornication.
It is Muslims that must seek to either leave that religion if they dont want to be bound by such obnoxious rules or seek to change the tenets of their religion.
Remember, Christians to have to change a lot of "bad things" in their religion, to get ot the level they are today (as a religion).

Finally, let me point out that these thing shave nothing to do with Feminism or Equality of Women and Men.
*Men have been enslaved just as women
*Men have fornicated and got stoned, juts like women.
*Fornication itself is an act between both Genders........ so women should stop trying to take advantage of such things as if it applies only to them

Lastpage!
thank you! I have been trying to educate that WOMAN but she keep on shouting and shouting.

equality and slavery are two different things but she rather like shouting than listening and understanding.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

President Buhari Meets Kankara Schoolboys / Nine House Of Assembly Members Defect To NNPP From PDP / Adamu Garba Hails Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.