Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? (2420 Views)

Choosing A Life Partner. / How Much Importance Do You Attach To Looks In Choosing A Wife/husband? / How Important Is Sex To You?,,? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 15, 2016
Genetics is the branch of science concerned with genes, heredity and variation in living organisms. The genetic make up of an individual(gene) is what determines the physical outlook of that individual. But this genetic cells are formed from the interaction between the genes of both parents of the individual, and the end result of this interaction is what leads to a significant resemblance between the physical features of the parent and that of the individual. So, the child is likely to borrow certain physical features such as height, body shape, facial features... etc, from either parent, depending on how strong and dominant those genes are in that parent.

Now this brings me to my question. How important are genes are to you in choosing your spouse, be it a husband or a wife? Almost everyone want to get married and have kids, fine kids, kids with attractive physical features, but not everyone is born with these attractive features, and because of this, such people have dreams of marrying someone who has these features which are deficient in them. For some people, they already have these good features evident in them, and they want it to continue in their children, so they dream of marrying someone who would guarantee the passing down of these features to their kids.

But attractive physical features aren't the only qualities people want in a partner. There are other things people look for, like good character, level of intelligence, a sense of responsibility, size of their pockets(mostly for women, lol)... etc. And in our journey through life we tend to meet people and fall in love. And sometimes we fall in love with people who may not have all those attractive physical features we want to pass down to our children, but who have other qualities we seek in a partner.
In cases like this, would you still marry such person and risk passing down bad genes to your children or would let the person go?
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by donbenedict(m): 5:21pm On Mar 15, 2016
I'm very particular abt d babe i'm gona marry.. I may just be all joking and easy buh as we converse, I note down these salient characteristics and see if she is worthy enuf to answer my surname.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 15, 2016
Decker:
And sometimes we fall in love with people who may not have all those attractive physical features we want to pass down to our children but who have other qualities we seek in a partner.
In cases like this, [s]would you still marry such person and risk passing down bad genes to your children[/s] or would let the person go?

An unattractive person doesn't equate to a carrier of bad genes.

...and yes, genetics would be paramount when I'm wife hunting...

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by obiorathesubtle: 5:30pm On Mar 15, 2016
it matters o..

Wouldn't want to give birth to a dumb, ugly, k-legged, big-headed, black as the devil/under pot child naa..

A girl like leriebloom should be just enough smiley
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 15, 2016
obiorathesubtle:
it matters o..

Wouldn't want to give birth to a dumb, ugly, k-legged, big-headed, black as the devil/under pot child naa..

A girl like leriebloom should be just enough smiley

I would like to get comments from ladies, because I don't think most of them care about genetics. I have heard some ladies make comments like: "As far as he loves me and he is rich, I am okay"

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by wristbangle: 5:46pm On Mar 15, 2016
cool. Coming to comment.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 15, 2016
Ladies know nothing about genetics. cheesy

I'd rather you say physical or character attributes like being tall, handsome, funny, intelligent e.t.c.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 15, 2016
PushPlay:

I'd rather you say physical or character attributes like being tall, handsome, funny, intelligent e.t.c.

Lol. That's why I did my best in explaining what Genetics was and the essence of it to the question I asked.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by crixuss(m): 7:41pm On Mar 15, 2016
Genetics is important for me but it's not the most important thing.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by AyamConfidence(m): 7:55pm On Mar 15, 2016
Lemme park here first
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by duduade: 7:58pm On Mar 15, 2016
Decker:

I would like to get comments from ladies, because I don't think most of them care about genetics. I have heard some ladies make comments like: "As far as he loves me and he is rich, I am okay"

The thing is for guys, we go after what we want. We particular about love and genetics. We go for what we want.

For the ladies, most of them end up with guys that chase after them especially when it comes to the issue of marriage knocking on their door as they fall unconsciously due to pressure..

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Leriebloom(f): 8:02pm On Mar 15, 2016
It is important for me, not because i want a physically good-looking man as a husband but because i want my children to be good looking too.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 15, 2016
duduade:

The thing is for guys, we go after what we want. We particular about love and genetics. We go for what we want.

For the ladies, most of them end up with guys that chase after them especially when it comes to the issue of marriage knocking on their door as they fall unconsciously due to pressure..

That's true. But there is a lady here on Nairaland who is particular about genetics, and to her it's what's paramount when choosing a partner. I am pretty sure there are other ladies like her.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
Its important to me too, that's why I don't date short or unintelligent guys tongue
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by gynny(f): 11:43pm On Mar 15, 2016
PushPlay:

i think ladies care more abt genetics. For instance, i'm petite and so, i'll not go for a short guy, dnt want my children to come out brief. So yes, we also consider genetics.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 16, 2016
gynny:
i think ladies care more abt genetics. For instance, i'm petite and so, i'll not go for a short guy, dnt want my children to come out brief. So yes, we also consider genetics.

I think you've found a match...I'm tall. grin wink
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by sevantex(m): 7:27am On Mar 16, 2016
Genetics is very important or why do ppl check genotypes and all before marriage??.
I personally wuld love my kids intelligent and beautiful so yea, my better half shuld possess good traits to ease the process. hehe!
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by gynny(f): 7:50am On Mar 16, 2016
PushPlay:

I think you've found a match...I'm tall. grin wink
Lol
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by halfricanadian(f): 9:05am On Mar 16, 2016
Yessssssss cant habour dumb stup*d kids never

Intelligent calm caring kind smart clever brillant cute pretty handsome big heart and faithful kids nd many more qualities have the fear of God
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 16, 2016
Decker:

They dont particulary have a choice, abi dem go marry the man?
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by klexycole(m): 9:19am On Mar 16, 2016
Interesting Topic cool
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by klexycole(m): 9:20am On Mar 16, 2016
If A Man That Is Very Intelligent Marries A Fine,Tall,Fair But Unintelligent Lady,What Would Be The Possible Outcome Of Their Kids??
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by halfricanadian(f): 9:21am On Mar 16, 2016
klexycole:
If A Man That Is Very Intelligent Marries A Fine,Tall,Fair But Unintelligent Lady,What's The Possible Outcome Of Their Kids??

cheesy go for genetics check up who ever has d strongest genes.

But the child will take a trait from both
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by klexycole(m): 9:25am On Mar 16, 2016
What If The Lady Have A Strong Gene? embarassed
The Baby Would Be Dull Too?? embarassed
halfricanadian:

cheesy go for genetics check up who ever has d strongest genes.

But the child will take a trait from both
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by halfricanadian(f): 9:32am On Mar 16, 2016
klexycole:
What If The Lady Have A Strong Gene? embarassed
The Baby Would Be Dull Too?? embarassed
no child is born dull it all depends on how you groom nd train such child ben carson is a withness to this wink
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by klexycole(m): 9:41am On Mar 16, 2016
halfricanadian:

no child is born dull it all depends on how you groom nd train such child ben carson is a withness to this wink
No Be Me Oo...I Just Dey Ask Nio grin grin

I Be Pikin cheesy
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by halfricanadian(f): 9:41am On Mar 16, 2016
klexycole:
No Be Me Oo...I Just Dey Ask Nio grin grin

I Be Pikin cheesy

smiley ok
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 16, 2016
We do care about genetics. I for one wouldn't marry a short and/or not good looking man.

There are some character traits in some families too. I think it's important to watch out for that also.
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by klexycole(m): 9:58am On Mar 16, 2016
Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by theEYe21(f): 10:13am On Mar 16, 2016
If ladies don't know anything about genetics, why are there female scientists? Or females in the medical sector?
PushPlay:

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 16, 2016
PushPlay:

Excuse me? undecided

Re: How Important Is Genetics To You In Choosing Your Life Partner? by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 16, 2016
Estharfabian:
Excuse me? undecided

I mean genetics in all it's scientific glory. Maybe they have an idea of how parents pass their genes on to their children. That I'd say they know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Issue With Women And Being Rejected... / Checkout My Chat With A Girl On FB / How She Wants To Tie Me Down With Pregnancy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.