Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,903 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate (1885 Views)

"A Woman On Lowcut?" Victor Poko Johnson's Nude Loved Up Photo Sparks Debate / Marriage Between Nigerian Man And Ghanaian Bride Sparks Up Jollof Rice Debate / Are There Really Good And Honorable Men As These. Screenshot Pic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by carlinks: 10:54am On Mar 16, 2016
I would like someone to educate me on the content of the Gender Equality bill that was voted down by the senate.Was there ever a bill or law that made Nigerian Males superior to Nigerian Females?

lately,women hold better jobs than men and even earn more money.No law discriminates against a female getting an education or stops her from topping her class.She can vote and be voted for. So,what gender equality are we talking about?

I personally think males are even the marginalized specie cos women seem to have everything their way.We have Mothers' days,Women's day and not until lately before we had Fathers' day. She expects you to provide for the family,foot the bills,protect her and equally help out domestically.She gets angry,lashes out at you and you shouldn't talk back hence you'll be called a sissy.She hits you and you're supposed to take it like a man but you cant hit her back else you're named a savage woman beater.

In situations where the woman is the aggressor,the man still takes the blame and he's asked questions 'why didn't you walk away,why didn't you calm her down,what did you do to annoy her?'

A woman can ruin a man's life by claiming rape even if she wasn't and watch the guy's life go down the drain( i've witnessed 3 instances personally) but let a man claim he was raped by a woman and everybody laughs about it and tell him 'you are a lucky man'

bring up a conversation about a lady footing the bills once in a while on a date or taking her guy shopping and see the response you'd get from acclaimed 'feminist' here on nairaland

So,educate me,was there ever really an equality? Let's debate rationally

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 16, 2016
undecidedYou misconstrue the word..

"Gender equality"

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by ShakurM(m): 11:04am On Mar 16, 2016
The Senate are right at a first glance, so upon all the wahala this country dey face na woman make we dey look again? undecided
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by halfricanadian(f): 11:06am On Mar 16, 2016
Your speech talks bou d women who have priviledges nd treats men ny ow which some deserves

But what of meek tender innocent women with no one to fight for them its to help the voiceless women

Women dat are being taken advantage of cos of their tender hearts

Ok op nd not wicked women wit evil minds
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Sveen: 11:07am On Mar 16, 2016
What's there to educate you about? Is it 'Gender' or 'Equality'? The last time I checked, both are self explanatory.
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Nobody: 11:13am On Mar 16, 2016
Ladies that preaches gender equarlity are really ignorant,blind and stvpid.
Right from time women have been enjoying the greater part of freedom, and it is that freedom that destroyed the paradice GOD created for man.
HAd it been that GOD limited the movements of Eve to some certain part of the garden of Eden where the forbidden tree was standing, we all will be enjoying today, so because of the freedom God gave to EVe to roam about the garden just like Adam, it is that freedom that Satan took advantage of, and he deceived Eve which in the long run cause chas and both the man and the woman was driving out of the garden.
IT is that same plan that satan has to destroy the homes of women and install pride in their system, so as not to respect and honour her husband which in the long run brings divorce, that is why satan is going about preaching gender equality and feminism, and our NIGERIAN women been blinded by materialism fail to see the clearer picture.
AS a godly woman your duty is to be loyal and to love and honour the man.
You can be educated, get a good job, get married and plan your family with your husband, take care of your kids, always respect and honour your husband as the head of the home, and stop robbing shoulders with him becaus it will only destroy your home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by emeraldknytt(m): 11:13am On Mar 16, 2016
k
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 16, 2016
It depends on how you define gender equality
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Sveen: 11:36am On Mar 16, 2016
LORDSAMURAI:
Ladies that preaches gender equarlity are really ignorant,blind and stvpid.
Right from time women have been enjoying the greater part of freedom, and it is that freedom that destroyed the paradice GOD created for man.
HAd it been that GOD limited the movements of Eve to some certain part of the garden of Eden where the forbidden tree was standing, we all will be enjoying today, so because of the freedom God gave to EVe to roam about the garden just like Adam, it is that freedom that Satan took advantage of, and he deceived Eve which in the long run cause chas and both the man and the woman was driving out of the garden.
IT is that same plan that satan has to destroy the homes of women and install pride in their system, so as not to respect and honour her husband which in the long run brings divorce, that is why satan is going about preaching gender equality and feminism, and our NIGERIAN women been blinded by materialism fail to see the clearer picture.
AS a godly woman your duty is to be loyal and to love and honour the man.
You can be educated, get a good job, get married and plan your family with your husband, take care of your kids, always respect and honour your husband as the head of the home, and stop robbing shoulders with him becaus it will only destroy your home.
So, the fact that you're a guy gives you the right to feel you should be worshiped by women, that you're a demi-god. Why don't you turn yourself to a deity instead.
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by CassieTrinhVo: 11:38am On Mar 16, 2016
hey im Cassie from New York add me on my yahoo so we can have some fun now and we can talk more then meet up .. im Hot now
my id CassieTrinhVo@yahoo.com

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by carlinks: 11:47am On Mar 16, 2016
Estharfabian:
undecidedYou misconstrue the word..

"Gender equality"

please how did i misconstrue it? educate me pls
Discrimination,tribalism and racism are things ingrained in people which no law is gonna fix

someone said on a particular thread that with not approving this bill,women will never be president in Nigeria.Kowa party a female presidential candidate during the election and i watched her talk.She was very sound and eloquent but guess how many votes she got? 13,000 votes.That tells you even women didn't vote for her so do you need a bill to mandate men give her their votes?

Another part of the bill stated these
In the case of political and public sphere and employment,35% of all positions and offices be allocated to women
In the case of educational placement and enrollment including award of scholarships and awards,a minimum of 50% is reserved for women

please are these equality? i would expect equality to be 'everybody put in for it,and the best candidates are selected' and not some people automatically getting 35% and 50% respectively because they have boobs

will be back with more

1 Like

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Nobody: 11:47am On Mar 16, 2016
Sveen:
So, the fact that you're a guy gives you the right to feel you should be worshiped by women, that you're a demi-god. Why don't you turn yourself to a deity instead.
There is are huge diffrences between giving honour,respect and loyalty to been slave to a person.
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by MrCork: 11:54am On Mar 16, 2016
carlinks:
I would like someone to educate me on the content of the Gender Equality bill that was voted down by the senate.Was there ever a bill or law that made Nigerian Males superior to Nigerian Females?

lately,women hold better jobs than men and even earn more money.No law discriminates against a female getting an education or stops her from topping her class.She can vote and be voted for. So,what gender equality are we talking about?

I personally think males are even the marginalized specie cos women seem to have everything their way.We have Mothers' days,Women's day and not until lately before we had Fathers' day. She expects you to provide for the family,foot the bills,protect her and equally help out domestically.She gets angry,lashes out at you and you shouldn't talk back hence you'll be called a sissy.She hits you and you're supposed to take it like a man but you cant hit her back else you're named a savage woman beater.

In situations where the woman is the aggressor,the man still takes the blame and he's asked questions 'why didn't you walk away,why didn't you calm her down,what did you do to annoy her?'

A woman can ruin a man's life by claiming rape even if she wasn't and watch the guy's life go down the drain( i've witnessed 3 instances personally) but let a man claim he was raped by a woman and everybody laughs about it and tell him 'you are a lucky man'

bring up a conversation about a lady footing the bills once in a while on a date or taking her guy shopping and see the response you'd get from acclaimed 'feminist' here on nairaland

So,educate me,was there ever really an equality? Let's debate rationally

...ermm babes...are you related to Onila, QueenValerie or KingCheezyPuff? angry
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by ElCuajo(m): 12:20pm On Mar 16, 2016
The only true debatable point I could deem fit to answer was the issue of the beneficiary to a husband's estate (properties /assets) when he dies, the bill fights the transfer of all the estate rights to the wife and kids.
This is alien to African and indeed Nigerian culture, besides it could also prompt homicidal tendencies of some Nigerian wives, some husbands are absolute beasts and since a woman is directly guaranteed to be the beneficiary of all his properties they'll commit murder to have all the estate in her name and also have no responsibility to the family the husband devolved from.
In all my walks of life I've never seen anything that can discriminate against a woman in Nigeria except for cultural tendencies, and those are ingrained as part of our genetic make up that gives our society it's spice and unfortunately can't be changed.
As for the other points, they are all rubbish, women should work hard to attain political positions rather than rely on appointments, they should read their books and reduce distractions from social media chats, photos, likes and fake lives. You should stop relying on men to buy you everything and pay the bills everytime you go out.
As far as I know, for the present generation women have more success rates in job applications than men.
Nigeria is there for the taking women rise up and fight for yourself, in the words of D'prince "O. Y. O."

2 Likes

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by JoeCutie(m): 12:50pm On Mar 16, 2016
I don't get this whole thing. No matter how we (especially women) try to advocate for this equality in gender, there's always a place at the back of our mind where we all - males and females - have agreed, albeit indirectly, that men are superior.

If you really wanna claim that men and women are (or should be) equal, why do we always drag attentions, unnecessarily, to matters concerning women? Like, say, creating a special sector for women? "Ministry for women affairs" when we don't have any for 'Men affairs'? By so doing, we are saying that women and men are not equal, and by creating such ministries, the society is just looking for a way to pacify women and compensate them, still believing that they are not equal with men. Why not make everything very normal for everybody so as to give room for the whole talks of equality? Like, no special ministries for any of the sexes, no preferential treatments, which to me, is for the weak. It's only the weak that clamour for preferential treatments, little wonder why women are always given such treatments, which suggests that they are the weaker, and in other words, inferior sex. I just want a society where everybody would be seen as, and be treated equally.

I don't know if anybody follows the angle of my own argument
?

4 Likes

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by carlinks: 12:57pm On Mar 16, 2016
@ElCuajo..you couldn't have said it better.A funny observation is the opening of the bill.It already stated that chapters 2 and 4 of the 1999 constitution declared that all human are born equal and free in dignity and in rights and everyone is entitled to the rights set out and without distinction of a kind and distinction on sex and the bill states it is against discrimination against people on ground of gender,age and disability

What you then see in the bill are list of things women are entitled to and should get.it doesn't even address disabled people.Are women more discriminated against than the disabled?

On the widowhood and inheritance thing,it's more of a cultural issue than Constitutional law
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by carlinks: 1:07pm On Mar 16, 2016
@JoeCutie..very valid points.That is what i stand for as well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by JoeCutie(m): 1:45pm On Mar 16, 2016
carlinks:
@JoeCutie..very valid points.That is what i stand for as well
Very well then. Thanks.
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Dorobuccii(f): 3:31pm On Mar 16, 2016
JoeCutie:
I don't get this whole thing. No matter how we (especially women) try to advocate for this equality in gender, there's always a place at the back of our mind where we all - males and females - have agreed, albeit indirectly, that men are superior.

If you really wanna claim that men and women are (or should be) equal, why do we always drag attentions, unnecessarily, to matters concerning women? Like, say, creating a special sector for women? "Ministry for women affairs" when we don't have any for 'Men affairs'? By so doing, we are saying that women and men are not equal, and by creating such ministries, the society is just looking for a way to pacify women and compensate them, still believing that they are not equal with men. Why not make everything very normal for everybody so as to give room for the whole talks of equality? Like, no special ministries for any of the sexes, no preferential treatments, which to me, is for the weak. It's only the weak that clamour for preferential treatments, little wonder why women are always given such treatments, which suggests that they are the weaker, and in other words, inferior sex. I just want a society where everybody would be seen as, and be treated equally.

I don't know if anybody follows the angle of my own argument
?

Weaker doesn't necessarily translate to being inferior. Feminists don't claim that women are physically stronger than men or other very apparent differences. The point is that we don't want our differences to translate to inequality. it's just like the racism debate. Blacks are different from whites but that doesn't make them superior. we are all human beings.
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Strahovski1(m): 3:44pm On Mar 16, 2016
I support the bill
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by JoeCutie(m): 4:55pm On Mar 16, 2016
Dorobuccii:

Weaker doesn't necessarily translate to being inferior. Feminists don't claim that women are physically stronger than men or other very apparent differences. The point is that we don't want our differences to translate to inequality. it's just like the racism debate. Blacks are different from whites but that doesn't make them superior. we are all human beings.

First off, I must have done really enough to have succeeded in tipping you off to quote me. I don't even know what to say to you, this girl. Where in heaven's sake have you been? What happened to you? I'm quite curious...

Then to the subject in discus, I never considered the physical aspect when I used "weakness". Most men are physically stronger than women, but some women can pull off some very hard stunts that a lot of men wouldn't even dare, that's by the way though.

Moreover, colour and gender can never be ranked the same. The debate about the equality in gender and that of colour are not on the same page, or are they? What's your take on the existence of the Ministry of women affairs, for instance
?
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Dorobuccii(f): 6:00am On Mar 17, 2016
JoeCutie:
First off, I must have done really enough to have succeeded in tipping you off to quote me. I don't even know what to say to you, this girl. Where in heaven's sake have you been? What happened to you? I'm quite curious...

Then to the subject in discus, I never considered the physical aspect when I used "weakness". Most men are physically stronger than women, but some women can pull off some very hard stunts that a lot of men wouldn't even dare, that's by the way though.

Moreover, colour and gender can never be ranked the same. The debate about the equality in gender and that of colour are not on the same page, or are they? What's your take on the existence of the Ministry of women affairs, for instance
?

lol...debates about gender and inequality typically tip me off. I have been keeping a low profile jawe. I just come here to read comments and then post whenever I am motivated enough to do so. I have been following ur posts and diary so I know what you have been up to smiley

Back to the topic, racism and gender inequality are actually more similar than you realise. Both of them involve treating a person as inferior due to biological characteristics.

Now the existence of Ministry of Women affairs in Nigeria I believe is just for 'aesthetic' purposes. I still don't understand the function of that Ministry as women stilk go through a lot in the country. On a general note, assigning a separate ministry for women might be very necessary because women are not yet as entitled and opportuned as men in the society. When men and women become entitled to the same political, social and economic rights then we can decide not to assign a separate ministry for women. But until then, it might be necessary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by JoeCutie(m): 9:19am On Mar 17, 2016
Dorobuccii:

lol...debates about gender and inequality typically tip me off. I have been keeping a low profile jawe. I just come here to read comments and then post whenever I am motivated enough to do so. I have been following ur posts and diary so I know what you have been up to smiley

Back to the topic, racism and gender inequality are actually more similar than you realise. Both of them involve treating a person as inferior due to biological characteristics.

Now the existence of Ministry of Women affairs in Nigeria I believe is just for 'aesthetic' purposes. I still don't understand the function of that Ministry as women stilk go through a lot in the country. On a general note, assigning a separate ministry for women might be very necessary because women are not yet as entitled and opportuned as men in the society. When men and women become entitled to the same political, social and economic rights then we can decide not to assign a separate ministry for women. But until then, it might be necessary.
I missed you very much. kiss

And, I just realized you're a lot more intelligent, smart and informed than I thought. And somehow, you sound like one of them...the feminists, are you? grin

Come around more often, will you, please
? wink

1 Like

Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Dorobuccii(f): 6:49pm On Mar 17, 2016
JoeCutie:
I missed you very much. kiss

And, I just realized you're a lot more intelligent, smart and informed than I thought. And somehow, you sound like one of them...the feminists, are you? grin

Come around more often, will you, please
? wink

Awww *blushes*....Thanks

And YES, I am a proud Feminist and I feel everyone should be too
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by JoeCutie(m): 7:42pm On Mar 17, 2016
Dorobuccii:

Awww *blushes*....Thanks
And YES, I am a proud Feminist and I feel everyone should be too
Anytime, dearie. kiss And that reminds me, which part of the world are you?
Why do you think everybody should be a feminist
?
Re: Was There Really Gender Equality ? Let's Debate by Horus(m): 8:45pm On Jul 06, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Tj96uzsYQ

[size=14pt]Women rights and the Gender Equality Bill in Nigeria[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Guys/Ladies Of Nairaland, What's The Best Way A Gyal/Guy Has Asked You Out. / Why Would A Guy Do This? Screenshot Below / Why Do Guys Break Up With A Girl After Dating Her For Five Years...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.