Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For (88943 Views)

What Is The English Name For "Kpomor"? / 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name / I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by crazyclown07(m): 8:02pm On Mar 17, 2016
Truth be Told, Nairaland has really been educative and informative since I knew about the blog

God bless the day oga Seun got the idea of creating a forum like this

Hit a Like if u want God to give wonderful idea just the way he gave our own Seun

God make you bigger

2 Likes

Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by tuscani: 8:13pm On Mar 17, 2016
Blaqqcorleone:
DAT TROPICAL ALMOND IS CALLED EBELEBOH!!
Bro, I dey feel you.hmm Ebeleboh, those days are gone... simply nostalgic
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by schneider87(m): 8:15pm On Mar 17, 2016
In Benin... 1. Ebeleboh 2. Hausa Groundnut 3. Amugen 4. Cherry
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by admax(m): 8:16pm On Mar 17, 2016
Thanks!
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by ogahomale: 8:18pm On Mar 17, 2016
APC chanji
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by mozele(m): 8:19pm On Mar 17, 2016
TastyTuoyo:
Here in warri we call the Tiger nuts....Hausa Groundout and the Black Velvet Tamarind is called ...Segun.

Educative

thumbs up OP

Segun ko, Mukaila ni!
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by ireneidiva(f): 8:22pm On Mar 17, 2016
daretodiffer:
Agbalumo should be African plum
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by franklingud(m): 8:46pm On Mar 17, 2016
sugarboi nice one there.

1 Like

Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by saintjoseph(m): 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:
agbalumo is cherry. olodo buruku

Don't mind that over Sabi, no wonder Google struggles to search fr it cos of wrong information
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by mavinc4u(f): 9:00pm On Mar 17, 2016
TastyTuoyo:
Here in warri we call the Tiger nuts....Hausa Groundout and the Black Velvet Tamarind is called ...Segun.

Educative

thumbs up OP

No bi only Segun na Bola grin

1 Like

Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by PoisonedOne: 9:13pm On Mar 17, 2016
ladyF:

I have never tasted that stuff, they look like brown beads, right?
Yeah, you need to taste it. It's sweeter than honey.
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by PoisonedOne: 9:14pm On Mar 17, 2016
Ameboperoo:

It's called Debino in Hausa and date in English.
'date'?? angry
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Ziggyduben(m): 9:16pm On Mar 17, 2016
1) Ebeeleboh
2) Hausa Groundnut
3) Amuge
4) Udala
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Strongbest(m): 9:24pm On Mar 17, 2016
Nice article Op.

As a matter of fact, I'm planning of giving my people a new soft drink recipe of which the tiger nuts will be our major ingredient. Avail your self the opportunity of learning something new this season. Thank me later smiley

www.nairaland.com/1798724/
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by ladyF(f): 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2016
PoisonedOne:
Yeah, you need to taste it. It's sweeter than honey.
So I heard....I will try it when next I see it. Am I to spit it out after chewing or what? Pardon my ignorance abeg....
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by onoja12: 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2016
The fruits are in Africa and it is the white mans name you are interested in,that speaks about your state of mind

sugarboii:

http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/4-fruits-nigerians-dont-know-english-names/

1 Like

Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Hasselbaink: 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2016
PoisonedOne:
'date'?? angry

Dates
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Yseone(m): 10:01pm On Mar 17, 2016
Now I know black velvet Tamarine
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by zonax(m): 10:23pm On Mar 17, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:
agbalumo is cherry. olodo buruku
Cherry is different from agbalumo. It's also called crab apple
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by PoisonedOne: 10:39pm On Mar 17, 2016
ladyF:

So I heard....I will try it when next I see it. Am I to spit it out after chewing or what? Pardon my ignorance abeg....
This is particularly funny to me. You don't have to spit anything out, you only have to take out the small seed inside (only one seed) and you're good to go.

The easiest way to extract one's tooth is to try eating the seed. cool
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by PoisonedOne: 10:40pm On Mar 17, 2016
Hasselbaink:

Dates
I appreciate.
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by ladyF(f): 10:41pm On Mar 17, 2016
PoisonedOne:
This is particularly funny to me. You don't have to spit anything out, you only have to take out the small seed inside (only one seed) and you're good to go.

The easiest way to extract one's tooth is to try eating the seed. cool
smiley thanks...will try it soonest, hope none of my teeth breaks
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 17, 2016
Well done
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Blaqqcorleone(m): 11:27pm On Mar 17, 2016
klassykute:
lol .. u b edo boy?
...lol..no grin
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by professore(m): 12:15am On Mar 18, 2016
I learnt something new "tropical almond" imagine calling it fruit apple banana orange dem no be fruit? Nice one
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by ROYALD(m): 12:16am On Mar 18, 2016
nice
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by sebali: 12:29am On Mar 18, 2016
Blaqqcorleone:
DAT TROPICAL ALMOND IS CALLED EBELEBOH!!

Area Spotted
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by Nobody: 2:24am On Mar 18, 2016
Oh my gosh, udara be giving me flashbacks to school....
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by gatoyi: 3:32am On Mar 18, 2016
What about ube? I think that's what it's called. Assuming that it's a fruit...you have to boil it before you can eat it, and it's usually eaten with corn...it's dark blue in color.

Frankly, the only reason I'm interested in the English name is to be able to google it. Otherwise, don't see why we need to know the English names per se. That's the colonial mentality talking. After all, you'd never hear English men asking what the "native" name of an apple is, now, would you?
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by gatoyi: 3:38am On Mar 18, 2016
Success! I just had to type in ube fruit in google! Guess what it's English name was "African or bush pear" Oh look, African is synonymous with bush. Why is that not surprising? And some African idiots keep falling over themselves for the English!
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by agentakins: 6:17am On Mar 18, 2016
Ok
Re: Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For by teechudleyy(f): 8:01am On Mar 18, 2016
Agbalumo is called African star fruit because of the way the seeds are arranged when you cut it open.

It's useful the fruit, the bark, the sap, the leaves. They even use it to make ointment for skin infections

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fish With Human Parts Seen In Ibadan / A Big Snake Killed In My Compound Today (PIX) / Please Help With Balance Diet Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.