Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,154 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! (37870 Views)

19-year-old Girl Who Graduated From University At 17 Lists Her Achievements / UNILORIN Speaks On Student Who Withdrew From School Over Religious Belief / When Daddy Graduated From The University Through Runs (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by lawrenzi(m): 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2016
[img]http://i1.wp.com/www.lawrenzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/LECTURE-THEATRE.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=696%2C463[/img]

‘’I just want to finish with this school, go outside and get a good job settle down and move on with my life.” Was what a friend said some days back while we had a chat at the “buka”. abeg nor ask me wetin i go find for there! in this world where there are scarcity of employment opportunities, I find it absolutely repugnant and repulsive for one to think in this manner. Thinking is free sha, but em.. you have to be realistic if you really want to be a difference!

What my friend said actually led me to write this piece, on the mistakes we made before we became a graduate and how you can avoid these same mistakes, experience is the best teacher, though true, there are lots of disadvantages learning from your experience; it is very expensive. It is always better to learn from other people’s experience, it will save you from falling into a situation that will have a lifelong trade mark on your life.

One of the mistakes we made before we became a graduate is not working to earn a money, when we find ourselves relying on our parent for support, they took care of virtually every aspect of our academic endeavor, from the school fees, to our feeding allowance, wardrobe and many others, all we knew was how to spend money. This has put many of us in a difficult position to earn money after school.

I recently spoke with a female friend on where she would like to work after school and she said the embassy. Just because she studied International Studies and Relations automatically guarantees her a place at the embassy. If by the time you graduate your dream job does not show up, what will be your next line of action? Then you wish you have gotten principles on how to make money. It’s not too late to start now, to be sincere with you, life begin the moment you begin to assume responsibility for your actions, it is time you take responsibility for yourself, your age should not be a barrier, and you are not too young or too old to doing something financially rewarding.

I have always been a critic of formal education without skill; it is unfortunate that modern educational system is overrated in the world especially in Nigeria. According to statistics, almost all Nigerian homes today have graduate, but I have also asked a basic question, how many home has employed or employable graduate? Many folks want to be done with the tertiary and go get employment, nobody wants to create job or even be self sustainable.

A lot of person outside today have degrees but they are not educated, education empowers you for success on every area of your life, while Academics on the other hand focuses on certificates, we must make a distinction between these two, the only way to make them work out is to use you academics promote your education, and you can do this by thinking outside the box. One great mistake many graduates made before graduating was not thinking outside the box.

Now to the undergraduates; you must prepare yourself for world without certificate, yes! I quite agree that we must strive to be the best in school, accumulating good grades also does help, what happens if the certificate cannot not fetch you your desirable job, what will you do? You must prepare yourself for a plan B, when plan A fails, plan B should not.
In other to avoid this, as you pursue your academic endeavor, also acquire a vocational skill; we have a lot of them that can serve you a means of earning a living while in school. For those who have graduated, acquire a skill and you will be better for it.

Many have the conception that there is still enough time, I once saw myself in this disposition too but there are consequences if you think this way, and one of them is that you tend to live your life carelessly, by the time you realize that you are no longer a baby, you must have wasted a reasonable amount of your years doing nothing. You have no reason not to start making money early in life; in fact it is even more advantageous, it is better to be doing something than to do nothing. Looking at the world we find ourselves, those making the real cash are not those working with their certificates, I am very sure you will agree with me on that.

Can I ask you a question? What services can you render that people will have to pay for? Have you wondered to ask yourself that question? To survive in this ever growing world, you must have something that people will pay for, if you don’t have one, it’s time you try as much as you can to provide services in exchange for money, the more the services you are able to render, the richer you will become. Think about it!

The first book I bought with my money was, How to get what you want by Nido Quebein; New discoveries on how to reach your potential. I bought that book for less than 3000 naira then in 2007, and since I bought that book, I have not seen another copy elsewhere. My emphasis here is that, many of us don’t have the habit of reading, a lot have been said about hiding something from a black man in a book, as absurd as it sounds, that is the truth, many find it difficult to buy books for self development, I am not talking about the school books that you are been forced to buy while you are in school, I am talking about inspirational and motivational books that will enrich your mental capacity, books that will develop you entrepreneurial skills, even devotional sef e hard for some to buy! We must learn to cultivate the habit of reading, readers make leaders. Try something new today and be above your peers.

It is very important we strive to reach our potential, we must learn to always work to our optimum capacity, a lot of us are under utilizing our gifts. Search yourself and work towards achieving greatness.

source: http://www.lawrenzi.com/2016/01/20/dangerous-mistakes-we-made-before-we-graduated-from-school/

87 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by ladyF(f): 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2016
Very valid points!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by tsephanyah(f): 9:54pm On Mar 18, 2016
since is not robots moving, banning, hiding, stuff in nairaland, one of the engineers should move this to first or front page u called it,, I'm suggesting,,, but if u prefer moving ugly celebrities pictures be my guest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Mologi(m): 10:08pm On Mar 18, 2016
hhmmmm oro po!!!!

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by agbajemm(m): 10:48pm On Mar 18, 2016
Voluntary guest bloggers needed @ ybnlstreetsoccer.com.ng
Email agbajemhmd316@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Nobody: 3:43am On Mar 19, 2016
ever since my day at the uni,i have always been a survivor. i hustle my way out of the school myself.not because i cant demand money from home,but because i always believe what if am alone,wont i survive?

since then till now,am proud to say am now an employer of labours. believe in yourself.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by yungest(m): 5:59am On Mar 19, 2016
oshey
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by kfrosh: 6:13am On Mar 19, 2016
Wonderful write up that deserves front page.

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by SetrakusRa(m): 6:35am On Mar 19, 2016
Nice one..

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by DebbyChris(f): 6:43am On Mar 19, 2016
Wonderful, i have learnt something new today.

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by 0955eb027(m): 6:46am On Mar 19, 2016
Mine is so so grave to the extent that i don't know the way forward anymore. The major problem is that i have never done anything to make money with the exception of working as an ad-hoc staff for INEC in my service year.
I have been over reliant on ma parents d whole of ma life, having brainwashed myself with the idea that it was not yet time for me to start hustling; so bad that i cant even boast of a vocational skill.
I hold a masters degree (mathematics) and i have got nothing to show for it. Sitting at home all day or going in search of jobs without a positive result s fvcking terrifying.
I really need to do something (anything legal), no matter how small. Just need to learn how to survive. Need advice on how to embark on something that will bring about a positive change. Help a brother out. Thanks ya'll

Wouldn't mind if anyone can get me a job. smiley

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by uzedo1(m): 7:15am On Mar 19, 2016
Nice piece
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Folarinibrahim1(m): 7:23am On Mar 19, 2016
Inspiring
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by obinoral1179(m): 7:25am On Mar 19, 2016
0955eb027:
mine s so so grave dat i dnt knw the way forward anymre... major prolem s i ve neva done anytin to make money, bin over reliant on ma parents d whole of ma lyf (not dat we re rich o; nt even close sef)... wit d mentality dat its nt yet tym for me to start hustling (not even 1 vocatonal skill did i acquire)... d only tin i ve done to make money is wrkin for inec during NYSC.. i av a masters degree (mathematics) naw n i ve gat ntin to show for it.... sittin at home al day or goin out without a positive result s fvcking terrifying... I rily nid to do sumtin (anytin legal), no mata hw smal.. jst nid to learn how to survive.. Need advice on hw to embark on sumtin dat ll bring about a positive change.. help a broda out.. tanx ya'll
brother next time you are posting a comment,please write your words properly. All the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by lawrenzi(m): 7:28am On Mar 19, 2016
[quote author=Yomieluv post=43900944]ever since my day at the uni,i have always been a survivor. i hustle my way out of the school myself.not because i cant demand money from home,but because i always believe what if am alone,wont i survive?

since then till now,am proud to say am now an employer of labours. believe in yourself.

You must be proud of yourself now. That is the spirit, people with this kind of mentality will never lack in life

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by 0955eb027(m): 7:58am On Mar 19, 2016
obinoral1179:
brother next time you are posting a comment,please write your words properly. All the best.
I have modified the post. See if its better. thanks

4 Likes

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by FunnyDude(m): 8:06am On Mar 19, 2016
@Op sharap....u not God.
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by obinoral1179(m): 8:20am On Mar 19, 2016
FunnyDude:
@Op sharap....u not God.
Even God will love this write up.

9 Likes

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Dfinex(f): 9:26am On Mar 19, 2016
FunnyDude:
@Op sharap....u not God.

And did God say u should sit down, fold ur hands, shut down ur brain and don't hussle to make something meaningful out of ur life?

Remember the parable of the master and his three servants?

Need i inform u that God himself will be very mad at u if u waste ur time here on earth, lazing about and not being able to boast of anything u have achieved in all ur existence.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by MsTIQ(m): 9:46am On Mar 19, 2016
True
Western Education without entrepreneurial and vocational skills in our country now is equivalent to post-graduate anguish and suffering.
A country where fame/appointment does not(completely) even recognise Your academic prowess,
The only way is to fortify oneself with such skills, at least as a footstool to greater things to come

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by debayun(m): 9:46am On Mar 19, 2016
Lovely
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 19, 2016
We really need to get acquited with one skill or the other because we cant rely on Mr Daura to give us job
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by DBossNG(m): 10:37am On Mar 19, 2016
U are right @Op
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by JhimmySpark(m): 11:05am On Mar 19, 2016
Spot on op. A reader is a leader.
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by meelorlah(f): 11:07am On Mar 19, 2016
Hmmn...I've been told this several times, I think it's time I did something. It is well

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Richy4(m): 12:06pm On Mar 19, 2016
I love your write up..... But I did not really see anything wrong with your friend's quote....Infact that was my favourite phrase when I was in UNI. when your professor with tinted glasses expects you to do a one week research on a boring topic that got nothing to do with your life and career....That statement is bound to come out.....

It is not everyone that fancies Assignments, emergency quiz, presentations, and examinations......

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 19, 2016
0955eb027:
Mine is so so grave to the extent that i don't know the way forward anymore. The major problem is that i have never done anything to make money with the exception of working as an ad-hoc staff for INEC in my service year.
I have been over reliant on ma parents d whole of ma life, having brainwashed myself with the idea that it was not yet time for me to start hustling; so bad that i cant even boast of a vocational skill.
I hold a masters degree (mathematics) and i have got nothing to show for it. Sitting at home all day or going in search of jobs without a positive result s fvcking terrifying.
I really need to do something (anything legal), no matter how small. Just need to learn how to survive. Need advice on how to embark on something that will bring about a positive change. Help a brother out. Thanks ya'll

Wouldn't mind if anyone can get me a job. smiley

I may be able to help. See this thread :
https://www.nairaland.com/2998396/earn-good-money-academic-writing

1 Like

Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by Sheenor: 1:12pm On Mar 19, 2016
Just one word. #Fact
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by timidapsin(m): 1:14pm On Mar 19, 2016
[size=14pt]Can someone summarize this 4 me? undecided[/size]
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by deskhal(m): 1:14pm On Mar 19, 2016
It depends if your parents are still up to the task.
Re: Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! by LesbianBoy(m): 1:16pm On Mar 19, 2016
Nice one smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nassarawa State University Post-ume Is Out Hurry'''' 16th-19th July / FUTA Final Year Student Dies While Playing Football / 50 Courses You Can Study Without Credit In Mathematics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.