Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged (1649 Views)

Four Years After Sliding Into Her DM, Man Got Engaged To His Love(photos) / "I Gave My Neighbor A Lift, 6 Months After We Got Married" - Man (Photos) / 'my Boyfriend Of 4 Years Just Got Engaged' - Heartbroken Lady Shares Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
You may think you know everything about your significant other. But despite your wealth of knowledge, there’s still a chance you haven’t asked the right questions to uncover certain key issues quite yet. When you’re getting engaged to someone, there are certain things you need to know about them, partially to assess your compatibility and partially because communication, openness and trust are the foundations of a healthy relationship. Huffingtonpost.com suggests these five things you must know.

1. How your significant other feels about children

This isn’t talk you should leave until after you tie the knot. Before getting in too deep, you should know how you each feel about children. Discover whether your partner wants them. Then, find out how many your partner wants and when. Ask, what are your partner’s views on parenting and gender roles? Can either of you imagine taking a break from a high-powered career in order to focus more on caregiving? How do you each see your roles as mom and dad?

2. Whether you share the same values

From family to religion, are you and your significant other in agreement? Or, ask if you can find a way to make room for your differing sets of values? It’s important to know you have similar values so you don’t feel blindsided or surprised when your partner tells you what they’re willing or unwilling to do in terms of shared goals.

3. Your partner’s financial status

Being compatible doesn’t just come down to chemistry. Financial compatibility, is also important. So before you tie the knot, it’s best to know if you’ll be taking on your partner’s debts or whether you’ll be able to reach your own financial goals with his or her help. Ask your partner if he or she is willing to share bank accounts, and how much he or she makes. You’ll need to know how the financial burden might be divided between the two of you, especially considering that money is the No. 1 thing most couples fight about.

4. Your sexual compatibility

Ask yourselves: Are your sex schedules and sex drives in sync? Do you approach sex with similar views, looking to share and receive the same things from the experience? Explore the desire and attraction you have for one another so you can go into your relationship with a foundation for sexual intimacy that can help sustain you when things are difficult. Because if you know and understand one another’s sexual needs, you’ll always have a baseline to get back to one another.

5. You partner’s level of commitment to work

You can’t marry your partner if he or she is already married to his or her job. Look for signs that your partner is maintaining a moderately healthy work and life balance, and consider carefully whether you can handle a partnership that leaves you lonely most of the time.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by pweetychyka(f): 2:38pm On Mar 22, 2016
#fact
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by MzzTega(f): 2:40pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice one.

Every one of your point I like.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2016
Just 3 days chatting with a girl on whatsapp I'll know all 5! Bad man na bad man. undecided
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:
Just 3 days chatting with a girl on whatsapp I'll know all 5! Bad man na bad man. undecided

one of the many reasons why the number of failed relationships are high these days.... didnt ur mama tell you not to blive everytyn you see on social media undecided ...
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 22, 2016
MzzTega:
Nice one.

Every one of your point I like.

tanchu smiley
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2016
bet9jaguru:

you can every go ahead and marry her on whatsapp and have ur kids there too undecided

dumb man na dumb man tongue

Lol. You've wounded my spirit. Wait lemme craft a comeback.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

Lol. You've wounded my spirit. Wait lemme craft a comeback.

no vex cheesy grin grin

i don modify am cool cool cool cool
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Emodeee: 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2016
Somebody like zoe of nigeria info, i wonder who will marry her. She is married to her job.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
Emodeee:
Somebody like zoe of nigeria info, i wonder who will marry her. She is married to her job.

i concur my broda

notyn worse dan having a workaholic woman for a wife

no early-morning sex for you embarassed lipsrsealed cry
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
bet9jaguru:

no vex cheesy grin grin

i don modify am cool cool cool cool

The modification still get appendicitis. Commot am.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

The modification still get appendicitis. Commot am.

until senate approve budget2016 cool
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 2:56pm On Mar 22, 2016
bet9jaguru:

until senate approve budget2016 cool

Aren't we talking about October/November time? I applaud your wickedness Sir. Make all your games this weekend cut.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

Aren't we talking about October/November time? I applaud your wickedness Sir. Make all your games this weekend cut.

lolz

bad man nah bad man grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by osesology(m): 3:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
No 4 and 5 are really really important.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 3:04pm On Mar 22, 2016
bet9jaguru:

lolz

bad man nah bad man grin grin grin grin grin

Kikikikiki grin Correct. Your future shall be bright.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 22, 2016
osesology:
No 4 and 5 are really really important.

most ladies wont agree to dat wink my broda
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

Kikikikiki grin Correct. Your future shall be bright.

kakaki grin correct bad man
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by osesology(m): 3:18pm On Mar 22, 2016
bet9jaguru:

most ladies wont agree to dat wink my broda
No 4 and 5 are the major reasons why most couples cheat on their spouse. So I totally agree with you when you say the best time to decide what you can or cant live with should be during courtship. But it's so unfortunate that most people pretend a lot (esp women) just because they are desperate to get married.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2016
osesology:

No 4 and 5 are the major reasons why most couples cheat on their spouse. So I totally agree with you when you say the best time to decide what you can or cant live with should be during courtship. But it's so unfortunate that most people pretend a lot (esp women) just because they are desperate to get married.

some men are desperate too oooo wink

especially wen d intended wife to be is loaded cool
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by AccaPack(m): 3:27pm On Mar 22, 2016
True
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Bluezy13(m): 3:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

You lack maturity.
You will understand what [b]courtship[\B] means when you mature.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 3:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
Bluezy13:

You lack maturity.

I noticed you were trying to bolden the word "courtship". But you don't really know how it works. Anyways. Her name is Ella. We're getting married after her youth service. You can now die.
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
Bluezy13:

You lack maturity.

seconded wink
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

Her name is Ella. We're getting married after her youth service. You can now die.

getting married on whatsapp abi grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 3:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
bet9jaguru:

getting married on whatsapp abi grin grin grin grin grin

Lol. You know na....we'll say our vows via status updates. No reception venue. I'll just open whatsapp group. grin
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

Lol. You know na....we'll say our vows via status updates. No reception venue. I'll just open whatsapp group. grin

https://www.nairaland.com/3004738/wedding-nigeria-what-cost
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 3:50pm On Mar 22, 2016
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

Trying to scare me abi?

as a bad man you no surpose fear nah grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by Bluezy13(m): 4:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
PiccoloBrunelli:

I noticed you were trying to bolden the word "courtship". But you don't really know how it works. Anyways. Her name is Ella. We're getting married after her youth service. You can now die.
I pity the innocent Ella...
She supposedly has her lifetime to dwindle with someone with an IQ equivalent to that of a 5 year old
Re: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About My Partner Before We Got Engaged by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 4:19pm On Mar 22, 2016
Bluezy13:

I pity the innocent Ella...
She supposedly has her lifetime to dwindle with someone with an IQ equivalent to that of a 5 year old

Here's the truth. I suck at insulting people. I suppose you're a grown up man. I'll treat you as such. I refuse to be dragged down to your level.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Your Best Quality In Five Words / I Need Love / (photo)niki Minaj Goes Braless>>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.