Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,186 members, 7,829,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss (25054 Views)

Nigerians See Corrupt Politicians As Heroes – Osinbajo, ICPC Boss / ''Ekpo Nta Is Not Sacked'' - ICPC Releases statement (photo) / Flash:Buhari Sacks Chairman Of ICPC Mr Ekpo Nta,a Closs Ally Of Godswill Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by Bluffly: 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ghost447:
I thought you have a particular rule of interpretation referred to as "common sense"?
Common sense will come to play when it appears that Golden rule isn't doing justice then you apply your common sense and swith to mischief rule then common sense again where mischief failed to literal the real common sense
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:57pm On Mar 23, 2016
megaweight:
Abeg how do u stealing in an examination?? Is it by running away with the answer booklet or something?

You steal in an examination by gaining a score you do not deserve. That is, it is a stolen score.
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
A private citizen that defrauds the Lagos State Govt CANNOT be charged with corruption. This is so because he had no responsibility to the Public, nor was public trust placed in him.

However,if that same crime was committed by a Government Official that is corruption because he abused Public Trust.

Stealing can be an "ordinary" crime or corruption depending on who committed it.
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by CookieBrown: 6:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
domopps:
Those are two diff words and with totally diff meanings....

An educated customer to my company almost bite off my ear for trying explain to him.....even tho I told him am a chronic APC supporter and Member!

Cheeeeeeers

Hi there, am a bit confused here, are Nigerians contending the diffrence between corruption and stealing? Shouldn't they be more worried about the effects of both on society?

What happpens when a politician goes into government coffers, take money from the federal account and divert to his personal account? Or when state governors take loans from foreign coutries to finance ghost projects and diverts it to his account? Or the Chief of Ait staff stashing millions of USD in his septic tank? What do we call these acts? I do understand your point of view but people who steal should be treated the same way as corrput individuals.
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
A private citizen that defrauds the Lagos State Govt , he CANNOT be charged with corruption. This is so because he had no responsibility to the Public, nor was public trust placed in him.

However,if that same crime was committed by a Government Official that is corruption because he abused Public Trust.

Stealing can be an "ordinary" crime or corruption depending on who committed it.

Simple Definition of corruption (Merriam-Webster)

: dishonest or illegal behavior especially by powerful people (such as government officials or police officers)

Note the especially. Not only by.

So GEJ and Ekpo Nta can not tell us that Stealing is not corruption because even though a Government Official is brought under corruption charges, he still stole
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by roolnaado(m): 6:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ephemmm:

In other words, you are corrupt if you steal public funds.

1 Like

Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by Osezua: 6:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
NobleAngell:
Well I think I kindaf agree with him that they differ. But stealing is a corrupt practice.
No stealing is a criminal practice that should be dealt with by the police.
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by Ghost447(m): 7:52pm On Mar 23, 2016
Bluffly:

Common sense will come to play when it appears that Golden rule isn't doing justice then you apply your common sense and swith to mischief rule then common sense again where mischief failed to literal the real common sense
Wonderful!
Re: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss by BLINGZ88: 9:30pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Corrupt in one word means dishonest.

Any thing that falls under dishonest is corrupt.
Stealing is dishonest and so it is corrupt.

Even those who argue that Stealing is not corruption will agree that Embezzlement is corruption.

Embezzlement means to STEAL money that you have been trusted with (Merriam-Webster)

cc: boboLIL, ckmayoca, onyi4edu, dlox147, generic, domopps, BLINGZ88, mackhunter77, udemzyudex, chukwukadibia10, chernest2002, babestella, pedrilo, sexyexcalibur, Agbalanze, Twy, ozoemenaca, yaki84
and changing the colour of ur reply to blue is corruption because u want to use it to intimidate us into agreeing with u. Nd I understand what u are trying to say but from ur reply, I'm sure that u didn't watch d interview

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

IGP Probes Dapo Abiodun Loaded N5 Billion On Bank-linked Vouchers To Buy Votes / Day Buhari Showered Praise On Ekweremadu. / Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly Under Siege By SARS (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.