Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) (65188 Views)

Sade Adu's Transgender Son Undergoes Breast Removal Surgery (Photos) / Izzak Theo, Sade Adu's Transgender Son Develops Facial Hair / Sade Adu's transitioning Lesbian Daughter: Before & After Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by joseph1832(m): 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
989900:

Those 2 are everyone's favorite -- especially in the 80s. cheesy
"By your side" (2002), is my favorite though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8QJmI_V3j4
How do you know this?
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Shymm3x: 5:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
abbey621:
Sade Adu, Seal are not really Nigerian as they don't claim so on their official documents, they are more British since Seal was born in England and Sade claims British nationality even though she was born in Ibadan. The only Nigerian that has won a Grammy is Sikiru Adepoju as part of the band called Planet Drum!

Lol.

I don't know why you lot always love choosing nationalities for folks without consulting them.

If the fact that she was born in Ibadan doesn't make her Nigerian according to you, how about what she said in an interview, "But then my life just gets in the way. I'm always asked that question. Like I said, I'm Nigerian. I'm always late."

AP: In the 10-year break between "Lovers Rock" and "Soldier of Love," did you run into fans who asked about new music?

Adu: Always in the queue at the petrol station. The gas station. I'm always being asked it, and I'll always say 'it's tomorrow' and they all think I'm a liar because I always imagine it's going to be much sooner than it is. But then my life just gets in the way. I'm always asked that question. Like I said, I'm Nigerian. I'm always late.

http://news.yahoo.com/sade-talks-tattooing-youthful-look-dvd-172042779.html

And when has Seal ever denied being Nigerian? A guy who gave his kids Yoruba names isn't Nigerian, no? Hysterical. Just let folks decide who they're - don't force ya opinions on them. Not everyone wants to live in Nigeria and run around with Nigerians with green and white flag. But that doesn't negate who they're.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by yoged(m): 5:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
cbrass:

You don't mean it, Adele from Ogbomoso grin
grin
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by royal231(m): 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
undecided wonders shall never end... adele ... ogbomosho...

kiss
LastMumu:
Op Sade Adu isn't the only Nigerian to have won a Grammy. Adele - whose ancestry can be traced to Ogbomosho has also won a couple of Grammys too.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by yoged(m): 5:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
One of my best song . Safe Adu- SMOOTH OPERATOR.

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by omooba969(m): 5:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
oncallplus:
cruzita u again... U comment on every post u dey try ooooo

Cruzita's trying to dethrone LadyF, NL has a way of keeping jobless ppl busy...isn't dat luvly? cool
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by omooba969(m): 5:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
yoged:
One of my best song . Safe Adu- SMOOTH OPERATOR.

Mine is 'Sweetest Taboo' ! cool
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by lordmans(m): 5:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
Lets nt deceive ourselves Sade is more English than Nigerian. They are able to attain such height cos dey lived overseas. Hw many times hv u seen any of dem identified wit d naija issues or try to lobby dere home govt to sanctn our corrupt official cos dey dont care.

During d Obama campaign for president, hs caucasian affiliation ws more prominent dan hs African root. And somebody tells me an African black is more respected dan a US black. Dont know hw true dat is. Learnt d police are quick to arrest an akata dan dey wld an african.

Anyway kudos to naija artist dat hs made us proud n put Nigeria on d world map. Naija has totally displaced south africa n others from music scene. Watch mtv base n c for ursef. We ddnt get dere because of ppl like Sade bt with ppl like Asa, Dbanji, Tuface, P square, Tiwa Savage and others. Wether grammy or no grammy dey ar our heroes.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by scholes0(m): 5:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
Barayeks:
adeKANYE West has also won a couple... his ancestry can be traced to ijebu ode

Looooooooooool!!!

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tolexander:
She isn't a Nigerian singer but British.
Just like saying Eusebio was a Mozambique football player.
Is Akon an American or Senegalese musician?

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by chukzyblingz(m): 5:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
She was born in Nigeria to a Nigerian father. Who's saying she isn't Nigerian? What does it take to be a Nigerian?
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by yoged(m): 6:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
omooba969:

Mine is 'Sweetest Taboo' ! cool
the song is cool as well
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by stevecantrell: 6:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
LastMumu:
Op Sade Adu isn't the only Nigerian to have won a Grammy. Adele - whose ancestry can be traced to Ogbomosho has also won a couple of Grammys too.

What's that your monicker again ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by omooba969(m): 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2016
preggi:
e be like say you know her. Arometa in Eleyele surburbs, her relatives still live there.

Tope Adu is her distant cousin, he used to live @eleyele.

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by McSteph: 6:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
LastMumu:
LMumu, d OP said d only Nigerian that has won Grammy 4 times!
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by armadeo(m): 6:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
LastMumu:

niccur dont make me choke abeg.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by cardoctor(m): 6:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Wow. Back in the days, this woman's beauty had no comparison. I wonder what she looks like now.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by abbey621(m): 6:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
Shymm3x:

Lol.

I don't know why you lot always love choosing nationalities for folks without consulting them.

If the fact that she was born in Ibadan doesn't make her Nigerian according to you, how about what she said in an interview, "But then my life just gets in the way. I'm always asked that question. Like I said, I'm Nigerian. I'm always late."

And when has Seal ever denied being Nigerian? A guy who gave his kids Yoruba names isn't Nigerian, no? Hysterical. Just let folks decide who they're - don't force ya opinions on them. Not everyone wants to live in Nigeria and run around with Nigerians with green and white flag. But that doesn't negate who they're.

Does Sade or Seal have a Nigerian passport? No! Does Sade or Seal own any properties in Nigeria? Since we are sticking to facts, I can confirm that they both own a British passport, I can also confirm that they own properties in England. Like you said not everyone would like to waive the Nigerian flag but you can't claim a nationality that you have disrespected so many times, he has no ties to Nigeria. Even when his mother was ill and ultimately passed on he refused to visit Nigeria, in fact I believe 2014 was the only year he set foot on Nigerian soil and even that was for a concert! Sade on the other hand visits once in a while but she also has little ties to Nigeria. In the international community she is referred to as a British singer, she was not raised in Nigeria and almost all aspects of her life is British. Once again I know Nigerians love to associate with good things but both Seal and Sade are just as Nigerian as Chamillionaire which says a lot considering Chamillionaire is a gangster U.S born Nigerian with no ties to Nigeria at all grin grin grin
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
My wife "Asa" is the next Nigerian to win it
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by ayindejimmy(m): 6:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tolexander:
She isn't a Nigerian singer but British.

Just like saying Eusebio was a Mozambique football player.

I'm sorry to disappoint u but she's Nigerian and she has very well acknowledged it.

https://www.nairaland.com/1371727/nigeria-sade-adu-says-im
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Arsenate(m): 6:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
Trust me if Sade had turned out to be some drug dealer or criminal, the Western media wouldn't had hesitated to tell the whole world her Nigerian ancestory.
Tired of this Shiiiit; Successful Nigerians abroad are not Nigerians while the criminals are.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Shymm3x: 7:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
abbey621:

Does Sade or Seal have a Nigerian passport? No! Does Sade or Seal own any properties in Nigeria? Since we are sticking to facts, I can confirm that they both own a British passport, I can also confirm that they own properties in England. Like you said not everyone would like to waive the Nigerian flag but you can't claim a nationality that you have disrespected so many times, he has no ties to Nigeria. Even when his mother was ill and ultimately passed on he refused to visit Nigeria, in fact I believe 2014 was the only year he set foot on Nigerian soil and even that was for a concert! Sade on the other hand visits once in a while but she also has little ties to Nigeria. In the international community she is referred to as a British singer, she was not raised in Nigeria and almost all aspects of her life is British. Once again I know Nigerians love to associate with good things but both Seal and Sade are just as Nigerian as Chamillionaire which says a lot considering Chamillionaire is a gangster U.S born Nigerian with no ties to Nigeria at all grin grin grin

Lool.

How does having Nigerian passports negate who they're? Sade's British passport clearly states "place of birth" as "Ibadan" and I don't know any Ibadan in the UK. The only Ibadan I know is in Nigeria and she's more of a plastic Brit than a proper Brit cos to be a proper Brit, you've to be born in the UK. You won't understand that, would you? Also, with Sade, her brother is always in Nigeria - she's just the type that keeps herself to herself. And how more Yoruba can you get by sticking to ya Yoruba names, when she could've easily changed her first name to "Helen"? Her daughter also has a Yoruba first name and "Adu" as her last name. What more do you want?

As for Seal, he's who he's and the fact that he doesn't run around screaming Nigeria everywhere, that doesn't mean he's denying who he's. These are the names of his children: Henry Günther Ademola Dashtu Samuel, Johan Riley Fyodor Taiwo Samuel, and Lou Sulola Samuel. What else do you want?

You need to understand that not everyone wants to live in the slums and chaos in Nigeria, waving the utter ugly green and white flag everywhere. However, that doesn't negate who they're. They both probably speak better Yoruba than you do; understand Yoruba history/culture/traditions better than you do; and pray to Yoruba gods every morning while you worship Arab Muhammed or white Jesus - yet you think they're not Nigerians, but you're. Some of you need to get off ya condescending high horse and stop defining who/what people are.

Also, how do you define ties to Nigeria? What other ties do you need than having Nigerian parents and growing up in a Nigerian household? John Fashanu never grew up in a Nigerian household, but he's out there in Nigeria now. Can you tell him to his face that he's not Nigerian? Ditto Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje who also grew up in a foster home but speaks better Yoruba than you'll ever do and understands Yoruba culture/history/traditions than you'll ever do.

Chamillionaire is Hakeem Seriki and that's the name he runs around with. If he doesn't associate with Nigeria/Nigerians, that's his personal choice and who/what he wants to be. That doesn't negate the fact that his younger brother, Rasaq Seriki, is always out there claiming his Nigerian heritage. Then you have Wale, Phil Ade, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Rotimi et al who don't shy away from being called Nigerians.

I'm sure very soon, a lot of you are going to start saying that Anthony Joshua isn't Nigerian - when he actually lived in Nigeria for two years for school, has a big tattoo of Africa on his shoulder with a shaded map of Nigeria, speaks Yoruba better than most of you, and loves eating his eba and pounded yam everyday. Most of you sound as racist as the nutjobs who think a black person can't be English. Stop defining people - let people define themselves and be what they want. It's a free world.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by ThaProphet(m): 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
If we are to use passports and owning properties in Nigeria as a criteria for being Nigerian then millions of people living in Nigeria are not Nigerians lol. There are plenty who don't have passports and don't have properties in Nigeria.

Maybe I'm nitpicking but even if people don't have ties to Nigeria, they can still claim to be Nigerian. It is what they IDENTIFY with. We can't choose that for them. At any point, she can decide to have a Nigerian passport because she qualifies for it based on birth place and ancestry.

People do have and CAN have dual nationalities. Let them choose who they want to be or what country they wish to associate themselves with.

Even if you are born in Britain with African ancestry, if you commit a crime...their press will mention your ancestry just to create that distance between you and their country. People love associating with success and distancing themselves from negativity, its not a trait unique to Nigerians.

abbey621:

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by chukzyblingz(m): 7:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
abbey621:

. I can't believe a sensible human being can spew this nonsense. Does owning properties in Nigeria and having a Nigerian passport make one a Nigeria? How many percentage of Nigerians own property or have a Nigerian passport? Are the beggers in the street that don't own any property or have a passport less Nigerian than tje president of Nigeria? Can somebody choose the country to come feom? All, those Nigerians that have being abroad for decades without visiting or identifying as Nigerians, are you more Nigerian than them? The day one of them commits murder, that's the day you will hear they're Nigerians and you will hear things like deportation to Nigeria. Let one of these lost Nigerians join ISIL, you will hear all the Western Media call them Nigerians. But ij the case of a successful Nigerian musician, they will claim her.

1 Like

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by ashjay001(m): 7:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
Islamicpope:
She's not Nigerian anymore, but British-American. Get it ops. No Nigerian has ever won d Grammy for d record.

Don't think u've heard of Seal?
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by abbey621(m): 7:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Shymm3x:

Lool.

How does having Nigerian passports negate who they're? Sade's British passport clearly states "place of birth" as "Ibadan" and I don't know any Ibadan in the UK. The only Ibadan I know is in Nigeria and she's more of a plastic Brit than a proper Brit cos to be a proper Brit, you've to be born in the UK. You won't understand that, would you? Also, with Sade, her brother is always in Nigeria - she's just the type that keeps herself to herself. And how more Yoruba can you get by sticking to ya Yoruba names, when she could've easily changed her first name to "Helen"? Her daughter also has a Yoruba first name and "Adu" as her last name. What more do you want?

As for Seal, he's who he's and the fact that he doesn't run around screaming Nigeria everywhere, that doesn't mean he's denying who he's. These are the names of his children: Henry Günther Ademola Dashtu Samuel, Johan Riley Fyodor Taiwo Samuel, and Lou Sulola Samuel. What else do you want?

You need to understand that not everyone wants to live in the slums and chaos in Nigeria, waving the utter ugly green and white flag everywhere. However, that doesn't negate who they're. They both probably speak better Yoruba than you do; understand Yoruba history/culture/traditions better than you do; and pray to Yoruba gods every morning while you worship Arab Muhammed or white Jesus - yet you think they're not Nigerians, but you're. Some of you need to get off ya condescending high horse and stop defining who/what people are.

Also, how do you define ties to Nigeria? What other ties do you need than having Nigerian parents and growing up in a Nigerian household? John Fashanu never grew up in a Nigerian household, but he's out there in Nigeria now. Can you tell him to his face that he's not Nigerian? Ditto Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje who also grew up in a foster home but speaks better Yoruba than you'll ever do and understands Yoruba culture/history/traditions than you'll ever do.

Chamillionaire is Hakeem Seriki and that's the name he runs around with. If he doesn't associate with Nigeria/Nigerians, that's his personal choice and who/what he wants to be. That doesn't negate the fact that his younger brother, Rasaq Seriki, is always out there claiming his Nigerian heritage. Then you have Wale, Phil Ade, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Rotimi et al who don't shy away from being called Nigerians.

I'm sure very soon, a lot of you are going to start saying that Anthony Joshua isn't Nigerian - when he actually lived in Nigeria for two years for school, has a big tattoo of Africa on his shoulder with a shaded map of Nigeria, speaks Yoruba better than most of you, and loves eating his eba and pounded yam everyday. Most of you sound as racist as the nutjobs who think a black person can't be English. Stop defining people - let people define themselves and be what they want. It's a free world.

You have your points and I have mine. Nigeria might be a hell hole but it is still better than some countries. A Nigerian that does not invest in Nigeria either financially, physically or emotionally is not worthy of being called a Nigerian. I know many abroad that claim to be Nigerian yet when they do their taxes or fill any application and it asks for their nationality they quickly write down the country they are living. People like that are nothing short of foreigners. So this leads to my question, how can you claim to be a Nigerian when you have no vested interest in Nigeria? I guess most people do not understand the difference between having Nigerian ancestry and being a Nigerian. Seal and Sade clearly identify more with their foreign heritage than their Nigerian hence their investment in foreign land!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by abbey621(m): 7:30pm On Mar 28, 2016
chukzyblingz:
. I can't believe a sensible human being can spew this nonsense. Does owning properties in Nigeria and having a Nigerian passport make one a Nigeria? How many percentage of Nigerians own property or have a Nigerian passport? Are the beggers in the street that don't own any property or have a passport less Nigerian than tje president of Nigeria? Can somebody choose the country to come feom? All, those Nigerians that have being abroad for decades without visiting or identifying as Nigerians, are you more Nigerian than them? The day one of them commits murder, that's the day you will hear they're Nigerians and you will hear things like deportation to Nigeria. Let one of these lost Nigerians join ISIL, you will hear all the Western Media call them Nigerians. But ij the case of a successful Nigerian musician, they will claim her.

You're even more silly than your name suggests! If you knew anything about context you would know that I was referring to their fame and financial capabilities and using it to demonstrate their outright preference for Britain than Nigeria, both stars clearly identify more with Britain than Nigeria. Additionally, you do understand the difference between having a Nigerian ancestry and being a Nigerian? If you don't then educate yourself and get the f*ck out!
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by abbey621(m): 7:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
ThaProphet:
If we are to use passports and owning properties in Nigeria as a criteria for being Nigerian then millions of people living in Nigeria are not Nigerians lol. There are plenty who don't have passports and don't have properties in Nigeria.

Maybe I'm nitpicking but even if people don't have ties to Nigeria, they can still claim to be Nigerian. It is what they IDENTIFY with. We can't choose that for them. At any point, she can decide to have a Nigerian passport because she qualifies for it based on birth place and ancestry.

People do have and CAN have dual nationalities. Let them choose who they want to be or what country they wish to associate themselves with.

Even if you are born in Britain with African ancestry, if you commit a crime...their press will mention your ancestry just to create that distance between you and their country. People love associating with success and distancing themselves from negativity, its not a trait unique to Nigerians.

You have your points and I have mine. A Nigerian that does not invest in Nigeria either financially, physically or emotionally is not worthy of being called a Nigerian. I know many abroad that claim to be Nigerian yet when they do their taxes or fill any application and it asks for their nationality they quickly write down the country they are living. People like that are nothing short of foreigners. So this leads to my question, how can you claim to be a Nigerian when you have no vested interest in Nigeria? I guess most people do not understand the difference between having Nigerian ancestry and being a Nigerian. Seal and Sade clearly identify more with their foreign heritage than their Nigerian hence their investment in foreign land!
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Mbediogu(m): 7:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
Destined2win:
Does she know the capital of Nigeria?

She knows it to Ndjemina in Ekiti State and current Nigerian head of state to be Mungo Park.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Mbediogu(m): 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
Destined2win:
Does she know the capital of Nigeria?

She knows it to Ndjemina in Ekiti State and current Nigerian head of state to be uncle Mungo Park.
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by yusufyusuf1: 7:40pm On Mar 28, 2016
This op just want to confused him self she is an American citizen
Re: Sade Adu Won Grammy Awards Four Times(photos) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
Naughtysite:

Me sef dey ponder that name Adele..

LMAO!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See What Basketmouth Is Comparing His Kids School Fees With / Davido And Femi Otedola Danced At A Wedding In France (Photos) / Sikiru Adeshina A.k.a Arakangudu Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.