Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,318 members, 7,846,402 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11838690 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10102) (10103) (10104) (10105) (10106) (10107) (10108) ... (16238) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:50pm On Dec 07, 2020
kendrick93:
Napoli playing better and getting results without Osimhem...
Because one player is missing should they be in relegation form? Liverpool have been without Van Dijk and they've been playing well

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:59pm On Dec 07, 2020
andrewbaba44:

He hasn’t

8 cap and 1 goal

I am sure you didn’t check the minute

Anytime you see onauchu in the field you expect him to score

You ignore your poor wingers because they are your favorites

There have been worst than onauchu the scape goat

Onauchu has played 288 minutes since his debut which is not more than 3 games in total But you expect him to Always score

A certain fan favorite nacho didn’t score for a full year with more minutes than onauchu and managed 1 goal in about years but it’s normal because of past Glory

I don’t like double standard

I will leave Ighalo history for another day
You're here forming Senior Advocate. I don't have favorites so all this special number you are singing doesn't concern me.

288mins and ZERO impact! Are you kidding me? Victor as at June last year was considered a feather, and now we are close to tears whenever he isn't with us. I'm talking about Onuachu making his presence felt as a striker!

Abeegi, If you like keep thinking you're some form of Lawyer for Onuachu

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:49am On Dec 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

What opportunities

He has been misfiring just as the whole super eagles national team

Not that super eagles are playing superb while onauchu was misfiring

If you look at the super eagles team right now I don’t think you can call more than 4 players that are doing well for the team
Excuses!!!! Onuachu started our first game during last Afcon, we were toothless he had no attacking presence till Ighalo came in to change the game and eventually got the goal. I'm not totally writing him off as he may still blossom later but right now I'll start Iheanacho ahead of him

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:54am On Dec 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

He hasn’t

8 cap and 1 goal

Onauchu has played 288 minutes since his debut which is not more than 3 games in total But you expect him to Always score

A certain fan favorite nacho didn’t score for a full year with more minutes than onauchu and managed 1 goal in about years but it’s normal because of past Glory

This isn't club football, NT doesn't guarantee you a lot of time you have to be impactful with the little time you have. Iheanacho earned the right to people defending him during his goal drought, if iheanacho started like Onuachu do you think people will be making excuses for him?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 5:53am On Dec 08, 2020
jihday:
This isn't club football, NT doesn't guarantee you a lot of time you have to be impactful with the little time you have. Iheanacho earned the right to people defending him during his goal drought, if iheanacho started like Onuachu do you think people will be making excuses for him?
Ighalo started like Onuachu and even when he started to score and perform, he was constantly disrespected and hauled with insults.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:31am On Dec 08, 2020
Kog45:
A good gaffer will picked Onuachu but highly intelligent gaffer who know much about Nigeria national team will never pick Onuachu over Kelechi Iheanacho(reason why Rohr is failing)......with Rohr player like Siasia will not make US 94 squad,Owubokiri or Obiku would have been is preferred choice based on their club form.

Rohr just need to know his players and give us results.

Onuachu has been awful in eagles colour and the last time we reckoned with Belgium based players was in the late 80s and 90s.

I will rather pick 10 goals EPL scorer,12 bundesliga goals scorer,15 French league goalsscorer over 20 goals Belgium league scorer.

I don't rate the Belgium league though my opinion.

This is just the Gospel truth.

Club football is different from National team football.

Rohr really needs to understand the ability of his players to fit into the National team setting.

As a striker, playing for the National, you need to switch to the next gear of your 'personal ability' because those fantastic crosses and through passes you get from your club team members are not likely to be available as much in the National team. A National team striker must be very very clinical because of few number of scoring chances and also few number of matches with which to impress.

Onuachu has not impressed at all in the National Team, even despite the number of chances given to him. He is still in the team because of lack of Striking options.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:38am On Dec 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

He hasn’t

8 cap and 1 goal

Being a striker is more than scoring goals.
You guys dwell so much on statistics and don't put into cognisance overall involvement and Impact.
That's why some of you can look at Iwobi's statistics and conclude he is better than Kanu. Kanu didn't score many goals for the SE but his involvements in the build up of goals were so massive.

Onuachu's overall play has been poor.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:41am On Dec 08, 2020
Icon4s:
NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FOOTBALL FANS (NNFF) AWARDS 2020

The selection committee has come up with the following nominees for the various categories:

1. Nigerian Player of the Year:
✓Alex Iwobi
✓Victor Osimhen
✓Moses Simon

2. NPFL player of the Year:
✓Ndifreke Effiong Udoh
✓Isreal Abia
✓Ifeanyi Anamena

3. Most Impactful New Inclusion (2020):
✓Frank Onyeka
✓Zaidu Sanusi
✓Chidera Ejuke

4. Best Ogedengbe Super Eagles Best Goal Keeper of the Year:
✓Maduka Okoye
✓Dele Alampasu
✓Daniel Akpeyi

5. Stephen Keshi Best Defender of the Year:
✓Leon Balogun
✓Zaidu Sanusi
✓Williams Troost-Ekong

6. Samuel Okwaraji Best Midfielder of the Year:
✓Alex Iwobi
✓Joe Aribo
✓Oghenekaro Etebo

7. Rashidi Yekini Best Attacking player of the Year:
✓Samuel Chukwueze
✓Kelechi Iheanacho
✓Victor Osimhen

8. Most improved player (2020):
✓Leon Balogun
✓Kelechi Iheanacho
✓Daniel Akpeyi

9. Young Player of the Year (U-21):
✓Maduka Okoye
✓Samson Tijani
✓Samuel Chukwueze

10. Super Eagles Goal of the Year:
✓Chukwueze for 4:0 vs Sierra-Leone
✓Iwobi for 3:0 vs Sierra-Leone
✓Iheanacho for 1:0 vs Tunisia

11. Best assist of the Year:
✓Sanusi's to Osimhen for 2:0 vs Sierra-Leone
✓Osimhen to Chukwueze for 4:0 vs Sierra-Leone
✓Musa to Iheanacho for 1:0 vs Tunisia

VOTING COMMECENCES 10TH DECEMBER, 2020.

Cc: Bascovanveli, Thegoodjoe, ThesuperNerd, Andrewbaba44

Voting Day is drawing nearer.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:59am On Dec 08, 2020
jihday:
Excuses!!!! Onuachu started our first game during last Afcon, we were toothless he had no attacking presence till Ighalo came in to change the game and eventually got the goal. I'm not totally writing him off as he may still blossom later but right now I'll start Iheanacho ahead of him
Straight fact

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:07pm On Dec 08, 2020
#throwbacktuesday one of the most devastating pieces of wing play by any nigerian wideman. TJ really tormented the SA back line 20 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O382hxJSqGw

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 2:07pm On Dec 08, 2020
chrisooblog:
#throwbacktuesday one of the most devastating pieces of wing play by any nigerian wideman. TJ really tormented the SA back line 20 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O382hxJSqGw

the best ever Nigeria team at a nation's cup. We had 4 African player of the year on that team. Kanu, Ikpeba, Amunike lol how didn't we win this tournament is beyond me. Ikpeba penalty against cameroun was a clear goal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:16pm On Dec 08, 2020
very talented squad. cameroun winning that tournament signaled our gradual decline from the heights of the 90s

12large1:
the best ever Nigeria team at a nation's cup. We had 4 African player of the year on that team. Kanu, Ikpeba, Amunike lol how didn't we win this tournament is beyond me. Ikpeba penalty against cameroun was a clear goal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:42pm On Dec 08, 2020
chrisooblog:
very talented squad. cameroun winning that tournament signaled our gradual decline from the heights of the 90s

Very talented team but they were already in decline while Cameroon were just starting

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Obere4u: 3:44pm On Dec 08, 2020
Icon4s:

This is just the Gospel truth.

Club football is different from National team football.

Rohr really needs to understand the ability of his players to fit into the National team setting.

As a striker, playing for the National, you need to switch to the next gear of your 'personal ability' because those fantastic crosses and through passes you get from your club team members are not likely to be available as much in the National team. A National team striker must be very very clinical because of few number of scoring chances and also few number of matches with which to impress.

Onuachu has not impressed at all in the National Team, even despite the number of chances given to him. He is still in the team because of lack of Striking options.
you nailed it

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:21pm On Dec 08, 2020
Sparta Rotterdam manager Henk Fraser has heaped plaudits on Maduka Okoye following his impressive performance in recent outings for the club, Completesports.com reports.

Okoye linked up with the Eredivisie club this summer after severing ties with Bundesliga outfit Fortuna Dusseldorf.

The Nigeria international signed a two-year contract with the option of another two years.

Okoye has featured in Rotterdam’s last five games after initially playing second fiddle to the experienced Benjamin van Leer.

“You can compare his (Okoye) situation with that of De Goeij” (former Sparta Rotterdam goalkeeper) Fraser,” told rijnmond.nl.

“Both keepers already had a lot of talent at a young age, but also the right character to develop further. When I made the choice for Benji (Van Leer, ed.) Okoye got to work with it very well. the reason he’s so good is because Benji is fighting back. So he also feels the pressure to perform. ”

“I like keepers who are dynamic and athletic. He has a big body too. But it’s about holding back balls. And he does that more than properly too.”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:40pm On Dec 08, 2020
Reading manager Veljko Paunovic has sent out a warning to the rest of the Championship, saying the best of Michael Olise is still to come.

The teenage starlet has been in terrific form this season for Royals and is quickly becoming one of the most talked about players in the country.

The creative midfielder tops the charts for assists in the second tier in 2020/21 (six) and Sky Sports reported over the weekend he has created the most chances (30) for a teenager both in the Championship and across the top five leagues in Europe.

Find out how you can get the latest news from BerkshireLive delivered straight to your inbox

Olise's reputation and value is rocketing by the week and he produced another eye-catching performance for Royals on Saturday in the 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest where he played a part in both goals.

Boss Paunovic has admitted the 18-year-old is a rising star but he has warned there is plenty more to come from Olise - a statement that will no doubt send shivers down the spines of Championship defenders.

"Michael is super talented and he had a very good game on Saturday," said Paunovic. "When the team plays well, individuals will pop up and their talent, like in his case.

"Michael knows very well we acknowledge his talent and always support him but he has to keep learning.

"He still needs to grow and has things that he can implement soon in the future and be an even better player.

"This is what we are encouraging - not to get content with what he is right now but what he can be."

Olise has already been linked with a whole host of clubs, including Liverpool, Chelsea and Leeds United. ahead of the January transfer window.

Paunovic says he is keen to keep hold of his star asset as he masterminds a successful promotion push for Reading.

The Serbian has urged Olise, who tuns 19 on Saturday, to become a 'competitor' to take his game to the next level.

"He just has to keep going and maturing," said the manager. "Consistency is the main thing for the young players and that's what we are looking to give him.

"Maturity plays a big part in the Championship and experience which he is surrounded with - they are very good players and have experience in the Championship.

"He is very smart and has to learn quickly.

"We all see huge potential in him and having an impact in our club, delivering to the team and to our fans all his talent and capabilities.

"But we don't think it is good for him to think he has done something already.

"Being humble, being focused; he loves football, he loves learning and he loves training so he has to give context to all that and that means he has to become a competitor and when he gets to that level, I'm sure everyone is going to be surprised with what he can do."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:45pm On Dec 08, 2020
Since making his debut in 2019, the attacking midfielder who can play out wide has come on leaps and bounds for Reading in the Championship.

Michael Olise is blossoming into one of the best players outside of the Premier League

Blossoming under the tutelage of Serbian boss Veljko Paunović, his delivery has been his standout attribute as the French U18 international has come of age.

His form has helped The Royals rise to third in the table, while a host of Premier League club scouts are monitoring Olise closely.

Wolves were said to have failed in a bid to bring him to Molineux in the summer, and they might just regret that now.

It's been said, he could now fetch £30m-£40m in the transfer market, should a Premier League giant want to swoop on the promising talent.

Premier League clubs have had their opportunities with Olise.

He trained with Chelsea - who currently boast a very competitive academy - until he was released.

There was also a spell at Manchester City, but that failed to bring anything more concrete for the youngster.

In 2016, Reading took him on - and within three years he made his debut against Leeds United.

But it's this season he's grown into one of the most talked about footballers outside the top flight.

Over the weekend, Olise put on another swashbuckling display in Reading's 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest.

His superb cross for Michael Morrison’s 53rd-minute goal to make it 2-0 was his fourth assist of the season – joint second in the Championship.

It was from his cross also in the 16th minute that led to Brice Samba flapping to allow Holmes to head the ball which led to Ryan Yates handling on the line and being sent off with Lucas Joao converting from the spot.

Former Reading defender Matt Mills said: “For a player of that age and quality, you’ve got to say he’s worth £30m-£40m now.”

With the transfer window opening in January, there's no doubt Olise will attract interest.

His manager Paunović was full of praise for the teenager's performance against Forest.

“Yes, he’s very talented," he said. "In Michael we have seen a lot of progress this year. He is getting more minutes and competition and surrounded by a very good team – a group of leaders.

“Experienced guys and younger ones are supporting him, providing him with a structure and the way we play enables him to shine in games like today.

“But we also know with young players it’s about getting the consistency and maturity to compete on the same level in every single game.

“That’s something that will come over time and we’ll enjoy his talent when he is at his best delivering for the team.”

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 5:35pm On Dec 08, 2020
yeah but I personally think if we had won it would have been deserved. we were the only team going into that final undefeated in the competition.

jihday:
Very talented team but they were already in decline while Cameroon were just starting
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2020
Rohr should try and secure Adarabioyo,lookman ademola, Ejaria, Torunarigha and Olise for us. World qualifiers is coming up and we need our best.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:42pm On Dec 08, 2020
zuchyblink:
Rohr should try and secure Adarabioyo,lookman ademola, Ejaria, Torunarigha and Olise for us. World qualifiers is coming up and we need our best.
also give the guy in fc Zurich a chance. Hv not see him play though buh the bit I saw inbYouTube I loved it. He is forceful, pacey, strong and can shoot. Based on current form I will pick him ahead of kalu for now

PSV's Noni should be sounded out as well

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:44pm On Dec 08, 2020
zuchyblink:

Give rohr all d talents in dis world...baba no go achieve shishi,pass wetin him don achieve grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 7:47pm On Dec 08, 2020
zuchyblink:
Olise will be difficult, but if we can get him it will be a huge coup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
yea once he makes the leap to the epl it will be a tough one. my instincts tells me eze fit change allegiance to us any moment
Karlovich:
Olise will be difficult, but if we can get him it will be a huge coup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:51pm On Dec 08, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2020
charlesemeka85:
yea once he makes the leap to the epl it will be a tough one. my instincts tells me eze fit change allegiance to us any moment
With the way Eze has been performing, Southgate might just hand him a call up just to cap-tie him, At 22 he is still playing for U21 football for England when his mates are playing senior football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:01pm On Dec 08, 2020
elyte89:

Give rohr all d talents in dis world...baba no go achieve shishi,pass wetin him don achieve grin

Rohr has reached his peak, every other thing from here is downwards

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:04pm On Dec 08, 2020
Karlovich:
With the way Eze has been performing, Southgate might just hand him a call up just to cap-tie him, At 22 he is still playing for U21 football for England when his mates are playing senior football.
and that will be a mistake he will live to regret.

remember he has the likes of foden,grealish,mount,maddison etc to battle. i am not saying it isnt possible but i don't see him having a fulfilling international career with the 3 lions. the choice is his to make
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
charlesemeka85:
also give the guy in fc Zurich a chance. Hv not see him play though buh the bit I saw inbYouTube I loved it. He is forceful, pacey, strong and can shoot. Based on current form I will pick him ahead of kalu for now

PSV's Noni should be sounded out as well

You will pick Tosin ahead of Samuel Kalu? Na so new thing dey do una for eye
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
Subzero047:

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2020
charlesemeka85:
and that will be a mistake he will leave to regret.

remember he has the likes of foden,grealish,mount,maddison etc to battle. i am not saying it isnt possible but i don't see him having a fulfilling international career with the 3 lions. the choice is his to make
Most of them don't just care especially the English born ones, they prefer getting a few caps for England to playing a lot of games for Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2020
Faustino Anjorin starts for Chelsea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2020
no be say new thing buh they are some aspect of his games which i like. he is stronger,more direct,explosive and a better finisher than kalu. dude is built like a tank and go suit african footie wella
Subzero047:

(1) (2) (3) ... (10102) (10103) (10104) (10105) (10106) (10107) (10108) ... (16238) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m), Philosopher1979, Marjoribanks, TheGoodJoe(m), Cecco90, akwesenana, komekn(m), codemaniacs, Ginistev and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.