Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10667) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647503 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10664) (10665) (10666) (10667) (10668) (10669) (10670) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 4:44pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Just stumbled on this list of 31 for the June friendlies window.

Courtesy: Oluwashina Okeleji (@Oluwashina) of the BBC.

How can you invite Shehu and no Nwakali. I cant wait for Rohr's contract to run out...I have had enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:46pm On May 14, 2021
Funny thing is the lad Marcus have also played AM and SS this season.

Majorly used as a Winger (Right and left) but time will tell where Rohr wanna feature him if he makes the final 23.

Let me just conclude by saying, the lad is more of a winger and dashing forward than an actual AM.

Omanambala:

Dont we have too many wingers, already. What we should be hunting for is an AM.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:51pm On May 14, 2021
Lol, guy, Nwakali's time will come naa.

To be honest, Shehu has been doing well in Cyprus also. He has played about 30 games (making close to same number of starts - abt 27 or 28) as RB predominantly and then DM sometimes.

He was also crowned League Champion.

Omanambala:

How can you invite Shehu and no Nwakali. I cant wait for Rohr's contract to run out...I have had enough.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 4:51pm On May 14, 2021
andrewbaba44:

So Ezenwa is back

cheesy cheesy
please where is Michael Olise has he decided to play for Algeria ahead of Nigeria? . We need the guy in our midfield set up and FIFA never clear Ademola lookman and Ejaria is taking two years now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 4:52pm On May 14, 2021
"I don't want to lose Maduka, not even for ten million. Maduka is worth gold to Sparta." Henk Sparta Coach stated after Sparta's 0-0 draw with Utretch on Thursday.

~pfutbal

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:54pm On May 14, 2021
zoboizee:
Adebayo Adeleye is by far a better goalkeeper than Mathew Yakubu, Noble & Ezenwa. But his height will be a disadvantage. Nigeria German coaches tend to have a thing for Tall goalkeepers.

Is he not taller than Ezenwa? Is he not same height as Onana and others? This lunatic should be sacked, I have had enough of his stupidity
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:55pm On May 14, 2021
Damioduso1:
please where is Michael Olise has he decided to play for Algeria ahead of Nigeria? . We need the guy in our midfield set up and FIFA never clear Ademola lookman and Ejaria is taking two years now

I don’t understand why fifa hasn’t cleared lookman to play for us ,it doesn’t take that long

I don’t even now anything about Michael Olise
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:57pm On May 14, 2021
Omanambala:

Dont we have too many wingers, already. What we should be hunting for is an AM.

We have a very stupid coach

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:58pm On May 14, 2021
Woah, ladies and gents, another notable absentee from this list is LEON BALOGUN.

Chukwueze is still nursing a Rectus Femoris (Quadriceps) injury yet was named in this list as reported by BBC's Oluwashina. Shocked not to see Balogun's name listed unless... Hmmm

TheSuperNerd:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 5:03pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Thanks so much My good man. Your words are indeed kind. Much appreciated.

You are welcome, TheSuperNerd.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arabiandude: 5:04pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Woah, ladies and gents, another notable absentee from this list is LEON BALOGUN.

Chukwueze is still nursing a Rectus Femoris (Quadriceps) injury yet was named in this list as reported by BBC's Oluwashina. Shocked not to see Balogun's name listed unless... Hmmm

I don't know, but I think Balogun is injured. He wasn't listed in Rangers last match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:07pm On May 14, 2021
ChrisKels:

We have a very stupid coach

Lol... Chris don vex. But truth be told, I think he could have included Nwakali on the list even though the lad's best role is CM/DLP. Better to have an Nwakali to deepen the midfield options than to have another forward who is more a winger/wing forward and less a midfielder.

I wonder how this thread would have been had Rohr included Ighalo (since he's been talking about him lately) in the forward dept. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 5:08pm On May 14, 2021
Please what is shehu Abdullahi adding to our midfield . Am sure he will make the final list for the friendly match. The 30 man list has so many wingers and strikers why our midfield lack personnel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:16pm On May 14, 2021
Damioduso1:
Please what is shehu Abdullahi adding to our midfield . Am sure he will make the final list for the friendly match. The 30 man list has so many wingers and strikers why our midfield lack personnel

So shehu abdulahi was called up also ?

Wonders shall never end

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:21pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Again rohr has disappointed our usual nairaland team list predictors and my close sources(oliseh,eze,torunrigha, etc grin grin grin..dis guys no dey ever make list,yet our scout.here keep listing dem as potential new comers grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 5:23pm On May 14, 2021
Kinda dissapointed.
Same old same old.

Goalkeepers: Francis Uzoho (APOEL Nicosia, Cyprus); John Noble (Enyimba FC); Maduka Okoye (Sparta Rotterdam, The Netherlands); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Heartland FC)

Defenders: Kenneth Omeruo (CD Leganes, Spain); Kevin Akpoguma (Hoffenheim, Germany); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Boavista, Portugal); William Ekong (Watford FC, England); Olaoluwa Aina (Fulham FC, England); Jamilu Collins (SC Padeborn 07, Germany); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal); Tyronne Ebuehi (FC Twente, The Netherlands); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England)

Midfielders: Oghenekaro Etebo (Galatasaray FC, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Abdullahi Shehu (Omonia Nicosa, Cyprus); Joseph Ayodele-Aribo (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Abraham Marcus (CD Feirense, Portugal)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Kano Pillars FC); Alex Iwobi (Everton FC, England); Sadiq Umar (Almeria FC, Spain); Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal FC, Spain); Victor Osimhen (Napoli FC, Italy); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Henry Onyekuru (Galatasaray FC, Turkey); Anayo Iwuala (Enyimba FC); Peter Olayinka (Slavia Praha, Czech Republic); Terem Moffi (FC Lorient, France); Paul Onuachu (KRC Genk, Belgium); Simy Nwankwo (Crotone FC, Italy).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:29pm On May 14, 2021
A.

Ahead of the FA Cup Final tomorrow, William Hill shows everyone again why Ndidi has been better than Kante for the past three seasons+. He praises both but he also points out how Ndidi have taken the throne since his arrival in England

When I said it here many pages ago that Ndidi has been better than Kante in the EPL for the past three seasons, some here thought it was just patriotic talk again. They even took it out of context and said I was belittling Kante. Kante is a midfield legend... A WC winner and absolutely world class. But Ndidi has been on the rise for the past three seasons and has been better. That is the context. Well, you still don't believe me? grin

Well now here it/read it yourself from a foreigner, William Hill through the Bible of absolutely comprehensive stats. cool

Ngolo Kante vs Wilfred Ndidi: A Comprehensive Analysis by the renowned William Hill

Source: https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1393235098548461568?s=19

[THREAD]

About 71% of the earth's surface is covered by water, the rest is covered by N'Golo Kanté and Wilfred Ndidi.

Probably...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2021
B.

In his first and only season at Leicester City, N’Golo Kanté made more tackles and more interceptions than any other player in the Premier League, became champion, and was named in the PFA Team of the Year.

He averaged a tackle or interception every nine minutes.

Source: https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1393235104886050816?s=19

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2021
If this coach refuses to take risks and keeps going back to his comfort zone (known players) instead of closing the door on some people and letting new and trusted one come in, we'll never win any silverware.

Worse off, our midfield is begging for reenforcement, but he's choking the attack instead. make God nor let us hang. Becaise Rohr is going to ristrict the airflow of Nigerians next year if he doesn't change.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:30pm On May 14, 2021
C.

In 2016/17, Chelsea bought N’Golo Kanté and he eventually won the league (again). But, in January, Leicester City finally signed their replacement…

✅ Most duels won
✅ Most recoveries
✅ Most tackles made
✅ Most interceptions

Wilfred Ndidi has been dominating ever since.

Source: https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1393235109814407170?s=19

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 5:31pm On May 14, 2021
PurpleHouse:
Kinda dissapointed.
Same old same old.

Goalkeepers: Francis Uzoho (APOEL Nicosia, Cyprus); John Noble (Enyimba FC); Maduka Okoye (Sparta Rotterdam, The Netherlands); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Heartland FC)

Defenders: Kenneth Omeruo (CD Leganes, Spain); Kevin Akpoguma (Hoffenheim, Germany); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Boavista, Portugal); William Ekong (Watford FC, England); Olaoluwa Aina (Fulham FC, England); Jamilu Collins (SC Padeborn 07, Germany); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal); Tyronne Ebuehi (FC Twente, The Netherlands); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England)

Midfielders: Oghenekaro Etebo (Galatasaray FC, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Abdullahi Shehu (Omonia Nicosa, Cyprus); Joseph Ayodele-Aribo (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Abraham Marcus (CD Feirense, Portugal)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Kano Pillars FC); Alex Iwobi (Everton FC, England); Sadiq Umar (Almeria FC, Spain); Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal FC, Spain); Victor Osimhen (Napoli FC, Italy); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Henry Onyekuru (Galatasaray FC, Turkey); Anayo Iwuala (Enyimba FC); Peter Olayinka (Slavia Praha, Czech Republic); Terem Moffi (FC Lorient, France); Paul Onuachu (KRC Genk, Belgium); Simy Nwankwo (Crotone FC, Italy).
I don't think Michael Olise is ready to switch.i feel it just rumour or brain wash to me there is something they aren't telling us why is lookman and Ejaria taking longer time since 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:31pm On May 14, 2021
D.

Most tackles made since the start of the 2016/17 Premier League season:

1️⃣ - 1st Wilfred Ndidi
2️⃣ - 2nd Ngolo Kante

Remember, Ndidi only made his debut in January 2017

Source: https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1393235115329957889?s=19

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 5:32pm On May 14, 2021
Shehu Abdullahi again? I won't comment on the Olise issue cause we don't how far he is in the switching process.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 5:38pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Been reading some comments on Nwakali most especially from Idennaa's (Omanambala's) stance on the lad as an AM for us in the near future and I got a few things to say.

Let me reiterate that Kelechi Nwakali will function at his best for the Super Eagles in a CM role or Deep lying playmaker (DLP) role. But we don't play with a DLP. We play with Ndidi sitting at the base of our midfield like Aguilera does for Alcorcón while Kelechi roams and dictates plays in the middle.

His best bet is to play in a midfield three alongside Ndidi with Michael Olise (when he shows up) operating as the #10.
Iwobi could also be the #10 (AM) or to accommodate Olise, he could be shifted to the left (as seen from the last game) where he would be benching the likes of Samuel Kalu, Moses Simon etc. (Just another angle. Not a conclusion).

But the question is what happens to Aribo if Nwakali does get his NT chance and impresses? Well, I think it will come down to tactical choices depending on the opponents. The two of them can abide in a team where one sits for the other from the start or where we could even have both on-field for a time frame depending on the tactical goals.

Aribo is majorly a Box-to-Box Midfielder. A CM who loves to arrive late in the box and bag a few goals. He is yet to properly assert himself on games as a proper midfield dictator would but I believe it is because Aribo is not a midfield dictator. He is rather a Box-to-Box Operator and enforcer who can progress the ball forwards in attacking transitions and cover grounds in defending and attacking phases.

In Nwakali, we have a proper midfield dictator and different kind of enforcer who can control the flow of a game with his highly intelligent distribution and also cover grounds in defensive phases for the team (as seen in his 1.5 tackles per game for Alcorcón - 1st and his 1.5 Interceptions per game for Alcorcón - 3rd). He also creates from deep as seen by his key passes per game of 1.2 so far in La Liga Smartbank (Aribo also has 1.2 key passes for game for the season from roles at CM and RW predominantly).

Like Aribo, Nwakali is also a good dribbler on the ball. His dribbling stats for Alcorcón stands at 2.1 per game (84 % dribbling rate). Aribo's for Rangers in the league stands at 1.9 per game (58% dribbling rate).

For long balls distribution, Nwakali has a 4.8 Accurate Long balls per game stats count (61% long ball accuracy %). Aribo's stand at 0.5 per game (39% long ball accuracy).

Anyway, this is just a small pointer to what Kelechi Nwakali would be bringing to the Super Eagles whenever he does earn his invite. And that he must earn by keep doing what he's doing.

Right now, Aribo still remains the man for us in that CM role. Etebo is also there. Ejaria is not far behind once his switch comes through (although he offers us options in both AM and CM and on the left too).

So please, Kelechi Nwakali is not our answer in the AM role. That role belongs to Alex Iwobi and the incoming Michael Olise.

Kelechi has done really well so far in La Liga Smartbank but he would have to wait for his time to earn the call up and when he does, he will become another option in the CM role. Yes, a direct competition for Joe Aribo and Oghenekaro Etebo. Coz CM and Deeply playmaking is his true forte not AM.

Danke.

Cc.SuperNerd

Odogwu, thanks for your analysis and the options you highlighted. I believe we have had this conversation before about the best position suitable for Nwakali.

I am not going to sugarcoat here; personally , I am not feeling Aribo and but that's my choice. Yes, Nwakali is naturally an attack minded CM who can dictate flow of play from the same position but I am not necessarily saying that Nwakali should play AM but we can all agree that Super Eagles desperately need some creativity in the midfield, which Etebor , Ndidi and Aribo have not been able to provide.

Now, if you are suggesting we play Ndidi as the DM , Nwakali as a CM , and Olise/Iwobi as AM how do you factor in Iheanacho given that he (Nacho) will be operating as a SS to Osimhen, Moffi/Simy/Onuachu. Assuming we start Ebuehi,Balogun,Ekong , Zaidu , Ndidi, Nwakali , Osimhen, Chukwueze , Onyekuru(because it will be senseless to start Iwobi on the left ahead of Onyekuru), Iheanacho, Okoye/Uzoho , where would you play Olise. You get my drift ?

So, my thinking is that Nwakali/Olise and Kelechi will occupy that area from CM to SS and do the creativity required.

I am kinda busy but I want to see what your thoughts are.

Ndi ocha ,ewee chuo mu na olu....lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 5:41pm On May 14, 2021
Why did Senegal pull out of the friendly in June?!?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:42pm On May 14, 2021
E.

Most interceptions made since the start of the 2016/17 Premier League season:

1️⃣ - 1st Ngolo Kante
2️⃣ - 2nd Wilfred Ndidi

*pretends to be shocked*

Source: https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1393235120648335366?s=19

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:43pm On May 14, 2021
ChrisKels:
Another war looming

I believe say lightening cream still dey market, make Kante light small biko, cause that blackness no be here oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:43pm On May 14, 2021
Damioduso1:
I don't think Michael Olise is ready to switch.i feel it just rumour or brain wash to me there is something they aren't telling us why is lookman and Ejaria taking longer time since 2019
he is yet to be issued a 9ia passport and without that he can't play for us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 5:44pm On May 14, 2021
PurpleHouse:
Kinda dissapointed.
Same old same old.

Base on the list we only have three recognize midfielder in our current super eagles squad . And we as many as 10 forwards in the super eagles set up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 5:47pm On May 14, 2021
charlesemeka85:
he is yet to be issued a 9ia passport and without that he can't play for us
Does issuing of international passport take long . I thought when you applied for it online is going to take a weeks or month before issuing you the passport
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:50pm On May 14, 2021
F. (the Final part).

Since the start of the 2017/18 PL season, only two players have made 200+ tackles, 200+ interceptions and made 900+ ball recoveries.

Wilfred Ndidi
N'golo Kante

They are going to cover every single blade of grass at Wembley this weekend. #FACupFinal

Source: @WilliamHill

https://twitter.com/WilliamHill/status/1393235126230953987?s=19

Conclusion: Ndidi is just massively underrated by most of you so much that you don't seem to "see" just how Marvellous and commanding he's been. Bossing Kante in defensive actions stats is a big deal and Ndidi have more than held his own since he arrived in 2016/17 in England. Huge massive respect to N'golo Kante and for all He's achieved but Ndidi is indeed the best DM in the Premier League right now and has been so for the past three seasons.

These analyses further strengthen that fact.

Merci Beaucoup. wink

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:52pm On May 14, 2021
Damioduso1:
Does issuing of international passport take long . I thought when you applied for it online is going to take a weeks or month before issuing you the passport
that ur question na so our passport office and the nff cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10664) (10665) (10666) (10667) (10668) (10669) (10670) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), shawwal1(m), Christology(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.