Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10666) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647390 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10663) (10664) (10665) (10666) (10667) (10668) (10669) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:51pm On May 14, 2021
cheesy
humility33:

Me waiting for Andrew to come and tell us that we're behind him simply because he is light skinned....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:07pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

A wine glass, I have. A Handkerchief you hold. That's the difference. So I know who's been crying. grin

High flying Eagles don't cry over attention-seeking maggots. grin

I bet you were still pained at this beautiful knockdown (see below) I gave you one time to which you had no response. You just turned tail and evaded. grin

This is my last reply to your pathetic excuse of a person. You just aren't worth any extra second of my attention. Honestly, you just aren't. smiley

So in finality, Happy Hating, little zero. It's the life-support you are on now. wink Keep basking in thy worthlessness. Adios.

Look at this attention seeking brat grin cry more I'm still enjoying your cries of pain and anguish , everything will be fine I promise grin

By the way, I see you have unearthed another of my posts, You have done your job for the morning, good work kid grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:18pm On May 14, 2021
Uzoho vs Okoye: A Case of two Nigerian quality young goalies (20/21)

Note: Have had these for a while. These are just the latest updates as they keep coming week after week.

With one game to go in the Eredivisie and with two more games to go in Cyprus' topflight, I present to you the Summarised Stats Story of both goalies so far in the 2020/21 season.

Francis Uzoho's stats in all Competitions (20/21):

▶️20 games played, all starts (15 league games; 5 cup games)
▶️17 goals conceeded.
⏺️ 6 clean sheets.
▶️11 wins
❌4 losses
▶️5 draws

2. Maduka Okoye's stats in all competitions (20/21):

▶️28 games played, all starts (27 league games, 1 cup game)
▶️35 goals conceeded.
⏺️76 saves made.
⏺️10 clean sheets.
▶️12 wins
❌10 losses
▶️6 draws (Cup game ended in a draw A.E.T. before losing on Penalties so it's counted as a draw for the sake of regulaion timing).

Extra: National team stats so far

▶️Francis Uzoho:
▶️17 games (16 starts)
▶️18 goals conceeded
▶️ 7 Clean sheets
▶️9 wins, 3 draws, 5 losses.

▶️Maduka Okoye:
▶️6 games (5 starts)
▶️7 goals conceeded
▶️2 clean sheets.
▶️1 win, 4 draws, 1 loss.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:21pm On May 14, 2021
Meliforme:

Your position as a top beer palour analyst is not under contest, i am not dragging it with you, i am not interested, It's yours for keeps. Stop warning me

Looooolll.... Fatality. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:21pm On May 14, 2021
humility33:

Me waiting for Andrew to come and tell us that we're behind him simply because he is light skinned....

If he was not white skin he won’t be called form division 4 grin

I am yet to slander Maduka Okoye take note

But we all know most of you won’t support a division 4 player to be invited to the team ,Na because say na oyinbo that’s why

My point remains valid jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 2:28pm On May 14, 2021
humility33:

The problem we are having now in Nigeria and west Africa as far as football is concerned is pinnick...dude see his post in NFF, FIFA AND CAF as a tool to promote his political interest and not the course of our football and west Africa football interest.

Heard him saying the other day that Nigeria super falcons will beat Ghana to qualify for the AWCON I shook my head...were both teams suppose to play each other at this phase of qualification in the first place ?

That man don't understand what managing football for the interest of Nigerians entails
I know switching from England can take some time compared to other nations but I can't believe it's almost 18 months and yet nothing tangible has come from it whereas players like Liam Moore and Kasey Palmer like Lookman and Ejaria all played for England u21 and yet were cleared to represent Jamaica within 6 months, something else is going on that they don't want to disclose to us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:41pm On May 14, 2021
I think an underrated aspect of Okoye is his bravery, he isn't afraid to rush out and engage in duels with on rushing strikers, I have reservations about his agility and ball stopping but I think he is top notch in that respect

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:46pm On May 14, 2021
Okoye's MOTM showing

As compliment to the Full video of the extended highlights posted by another moniker from FC Utrecht's YT channel, this is an almost 30 secs clip of Maduka Okoye's Five Star Performance yesterday (check link below)

https://twitter.com/SpartaRotterdam/status/1393169640965169155?s=19

Courtesy: @SpartaRotterdam (Official).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:51pm On May 14, 2021
Both Uzoho and Okoye have had very good seasons so far. But Okoye is, so far, justifying Rohr's choice to make him SE first choice. I believe the competition is still on. Okoye isn't clear of Uzoho just yet.

Others we should not sleep on include Matthew Yakubu (Slovakia) and Adebayo Adeleye (Israel).

Utonwanne:

Sha, Uzoho is not good enough
He was called because he's FB

What do I know?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:54pm On May 14, 2021
Funny how I left out Marvin Park's Assist for Real Madrid yesterday. But Dude seems Korea-bound. He did okay yesterday in the 45 mins he played at RB.

TheSuperNerd:
Top Headline: Super Okoye! The Naija German Wall keeps another clean slate

Thursday Football Special: Nigerian players who shone across Europe - May 13

1. Maduka Okoye (GK) Saves + Cleansheet (Sparta Rotterdam): Played 90mins+

Sparta Rotterdam 0-0 FC Utrecht (Dutch Eredivisie)

*MOTM Performance. Made six saves. Including 3 big chance saves

Okoye's stats in Eredivisie (20/21):

⏺️ 27 games played (all starts)
⏺️ 34 goals conceeded.
⏺️ 71 saves made.
⏺️ 10 clean sheets.
▶️12 wins
▶️ 10 losses
▶️5 draws

2. Simy Nwankwo (CF) Assist (Crotone): Played 90mins+

Crotone 2-1 Hellas Verona (Serie A).

*19 goals + 3 assists in 36 league games (29 starts).

3. 22 y/o Tosin Kehinde (RM) Cup Final Triumph: Played 70mins

Randers FC 4-0 Sønderjyske (Danish DBU Pokalen Final)

*Tosin Kehinde is now Danish Cup Champion.

4. Richard Friday (FW) Goal (Spartaks Jurmala): Played 90mins+

Riga FC 2-1 Spartaks Jurmala (Latvian Virsliga)

3 goals in 9 league games (7 starts)

5. Samuel Adegbenro (FW) Goal (IFK Norrkoping): Played 65 mins

IFK Norrkoping 1-1 Degerfors IF (Swedish Allsvenskan)

*6 goals in 6 league games (6 starts)

6. 18 y/o Ishaq Abdulrazak (CM: RWB) Top Wingback Performance (IFK Norrkoping): Played 90mins+

IFK Norrkoping 1-1 Degerfors IF (Swedish Allsvenskan)

*82.5% passing accuracy, One chance created, One shot on target, 3/5 aerial duels won, 3/6 ground duels won, 2 Interceptions, 2 tackles, 1 clearance, 1/2 dribbling success.

1 Assist in 6 league games (6 starts)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 3:12pm On May 14, 2021
damagnificentusb:

SECONDED.
If not that Nigerians slandered and questioned uzoho age publicly after 2018 world cup, the Bobo would had been playing in la liga by now. Imagine a meme going viral of uzoho that a "17 year old son turned 15th" if na you, you go give am chance? Uzoho for me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Remember1313: 3:44pm On May 14, 2021
Please, check my signature and my post for the pics
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:46pm On May 14, 2021
Been reading some comments on Nwakali most especially from Idennaa's (Omanambala's) stance on the lad as an AM for us in the near future and I got a few things to say.

Let me reiterate that Kelechi Nwakali will function at his best for the Super Eagles in a CM role or Deep lying playmaker (DLP) role. But we don't play with a DLP. We play with Ndidi sitting at the base of our midfield like Aguilera does for Alcorcón while Kelechi roams and dictates plays in the middle.

His best bet is to play in a midfield three alongside Ndidi with Michael Olise (when he shows up) operating as the #10.
Iwobi could also be the #10 (AM) or to accommodate Olise, he could be shifted to the left (as seen from the last game) where he would be benching the likes of Samuel Kalu, Moses Simon etc. (Just another angle. Not a conclusion).

But the question is what happens to Aribo if Nwakali does get his NT chance and impresses? Well, I think it will come down to tactical choices depending on the opponents. The two of them can abide in a team where one sits for the other from the start or where we could even have both on-field for a time frame depending on the tactical goals.

Aribo is majorly a Box-to-Box Midfielder. A CM who loves to arrive late in the box and bag a few goals. He is yet to properly assert himself on games as a proper midfield dictator would but I believe it is because Aribo is not a midfield dictator. He is rather a Box-to-Box Operator and enforcer who can progress the ball forwards in attacking transitions and cover grounds in defending and attacking phases.

In Nwakali, we have a proper midfield dictator and different kind of enforcer who can control the flow of a game with his highly intelligent distribution and also cover grounds in defensive phases for the team (as seen in his 1.5 tackles per game for Alcorcón - 1st and his 1.5 Interceptions per game for Alcorcón - 3rd). He also creates from deep as seen by his key passes per game of 1.2 so far in La Liga Smartbank (Aribo also has 1.2 key passes for game for the season from roles at CM and RW predominantly).

Like Aribo, Nwakali is also a good dribbler on the ball. His dribbling stats for Alcorcón stands at 2.1 per game (84 % dribbling rate). Aribo's for Rangers in the league stands at 1.9 per game (58% dribbling rate).

For long balls distribution, Nwakali has a 4.8 Accurate Long balls per game stats count (61% long ball accuracy %). Aribo's stand at 0.5 per game (39% long ball accuracy).

Anyway, this is just a small pointer to what Kelechi Nwakali would be bringing to the Super Eagles whenever he does earn his invite. And that he must earn by keep doing what he's doing.

Right now, Aribo still remains the man for us in that CM role. Etebo is also there. Ejaria is not far behind once his switch comes through (although he offers us options in both AM and CM and on the left too).

So please, Kelechi Nwakali is not our answer in the AM role. That role belongs to Alex Iwobi and the incoming Michael Olise.

Kelechi has done really well so far in La Liga Smartbank but he would have to wait for his time to earn the call up and when he does, he will become another option in the CM role. Yes, a direct competition for Joe Aribo and Oghenekaro Etebo. Coz CM and Deeply playmaking is his true forte not AM.

Danke.

TheSuperNerd:
ICYMI: Kelechi Nwakali finally picked up his Official Alcorcón Club Player of the Month award for April as reported days back

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 4:02pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Both Uzoho and Okoye have had very good seasons so far. But Okoye is, so far, justifying Rohr's choice to make him SE first choice. I believe the competition is still on. Okoye isn't clear of Uzoho just yet.

Others we should not sleep on include Matthew Yakubu (Slovakia) and Adebayo Adeleye (Israel).

My bad. I wanted to type Okoye

Yeah, they are having good season.

People wan kill Rohr for Calling Uzoho then in Dusseldorf
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 4:06pm On May 14, 2021
ChrisKels:

Uzoho is better than Okoye

It's neither about Uzoho and Okoye nor who is better between them.

I remember people clamouring for Ajiboye and other pretenders, saying Okoye should not near GWG

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:10pm On May 14, 2021
Shawn Adewoye (20 y/o) played 24 mins for RKC Waalwijk in their 2-1 Eredivisie MD 33 win over Ebuehi's FC Twente.

Shawn is not new to this thread but perhaps a memory refresh is needed for some.
He is a Belgian-Nigerian Center back (born to a Nigerian father). Can play RB and LB sometimes.

Came through Genk's academy and even had a preseason (2020 late summer) with the first team alongside Dessers, Onuachu, and Stephen Odey (before his loan move to Amiens).

Now he balls for Eredivisie side, Waalwijk. Joined them in January for an undisclosed fee.

His appearance yeterday was only his second in the league since joining them.
In 24 mins, he had 1 clearance, 1 Interception, 1/3 aerial duels won, 5 touches on the ball, 100% passing accuracy (2/2 passes completed).

Nothing much to see there but just thought to give him a mention in the wake of his second league cap . Still a very young lad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:12pm On May 14, 2021
Utonwanne:

You just did it again. Lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:23pm On May 14, 2021
While we here talking bout goalkeepers, the ogogoro drinker that we parade as a coach is reported to have listed the worst goalkeeper in the NPFL in his 31man provisional list to prosecute our friendly matches next month.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:24pm On May 14, 2021
It seems Rohr has drawn up a 31 man list for the friendlies against Cameroun

Abraham Marcus, Simy Nwankwo, Terem Moffi the notable additions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 4:27pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Been reading some comments on Nwakali most especially from Idennaa's (Omanambala's) stance on the lad as an AM for us in the near future and I got a few things to say.

Let me reiterate that Kelechi Nwakali will function at his best for the Super Eagles in a CM role or Deep lying playmaker (DLP) role. But we don't play with a DLP. We play with Ndidi sitting at the base of our midfield like Aguilera does for Alcorcón while Kelechi roams and dictates plays in the middle.

His best bet is to play in a midfield three alongside Ndidi with Michael Olise (when he shows up) operating as the #10.
Iwobi could also be the #10 (AM) or to accommodate Olise, he could be shifted to the left (as seen from the last game) where he would be benching the likes of Samuel Kalu, Moses Simon etc. (Just another angle. Not a conclusion).

But the question is what happens to Aribo if Nwakali does get his NT chance and impresses? Well, I think it will come down to tactical choices depending on the opponents. The two of them can abide in a team where one sits for the other from the start or where we could even have both on-field for a time frame depending on the tactical goals.

Aribo is majorly a Box-to-Box Midfielder. A CM who loves to arrive late in the box and bag a few goals. He is yet to properly assert himself on games as a proper midfield dictator would but I believe it is because Aribo is not a midfield dictator. He is rather a Box-to-Box Operator and enforcer who can progress the ball forwards in attacking transitions and cover grounds in defending and attacking phases.

In Nwakali, we have a proper midfield dictator and different kind of enforcer who can control the flow of a game with his highly intelligent distribution and also cover grounds in defensive phases for the team (as seen in his 1.5 tackles per game for Alcorcón - 1st and his 1.5 Interceptions per game for Alcorcón - 3rd). He also creates from deep as seen by his key passes per game of 1.2 so far in La Liga Smartbank (Aribo also has 1.2 key passes for game for the season from roles at CM and RW predominantly).

Like Aribo, Nwakali is also a good dribbler on the ball. His dribbling stats for Alcorcón stands at 2.1 per game (84 % dribbling rate). Aribo's for Rangers in the league stands at 1.9 per game (58% dribbling rate).

For long balls distribution, Nwakali has a 4.8 Accurate Long balls per game stats count (61% long ball accuracy %). Aribo's stand at 0.5 per game (39% long ball accuracy).

Anyway, this is just a small pointer to what Kelechi Nwakali would be bringing to the Super Eagles whenever he does earn his invite. And that he must earn by keep doing what he's doing.

Right now, Aribo still remains the man for us in that CM role. Etebo is also there. Ejaria is not far behind once his switch comes through (although he offers us options in both AM and CM and on the left too).

So please, Kelechi Nwakali is not our answer in the AM role. That role belongs to Alex Iwobi and the incoming Michael Olise.

Kelechi has done really well so far in La Liga Smartbank but he would have to wait for his time to earn the call up and when he does, he will become another option in the CM role. Yes, a direct competition for Joe Aribo and Oghenekaro Etebo. Coz CM and Deeply playmaking is his true forte not AM.

Danke.

Supernerd what is your opinion of Abraham Marcus of feirense in Portugal. Rohr seems to have invited him. How good is this winger
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:30pm On May 14, 2021
Expectedly, Maduka Okoye makes the Team of the week in the Netherlands as published by two leading official Eredivisie-licensed media houses.
*He also makes Sofascore's Eredivisie TOTW (third graphic).

With his 10 clean sheets in the Eredivisie, only 3 goalies (Padt-12, Rasveer-12, Mvogo-11) has more shutouts than Maduka.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:32pm On May 14, 2021
Just stumbled on this list of 31 for the June friendlies window.

Courtesy: Oluwashina Okeleji (@Oluwashina) of the BBC.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:33pm On May 14, 2021
ChrisKels:
While we here talking bout goalkeepers, the ogogoro drinker that we parade as a coach is reported to have listed the worst goalkeeper in the NPFL in his 31man provisional list to prosecute our friendly matches next month.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa angry

So Ezenwa is back

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:34pm On May 14, 2021
I did a top 5 for Emanuel Emenike's best super eagles goals if anyone wants to check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFyDJJKijg

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:36pm On May 14, 2021
Utonwanne:

Any division 4 player will Always be slandered

Okoye is doing well now and kudos to his hard work
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 4:36pm On May 14, 2021
Adebayo Adeleye is by far a better goalkeeper than Mathew Yakubu, Noble & Ezenwa. But his height will be a disadvantage. Nigeria German coaches tend to have a thing for Tall goalkeepers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:37pm On May 14, 2021
Watched enough of that lad and knew it was only a matter of time. Has been in the news of performing players in Portugal.

Lad plays on the right predominantly as a RW and also on the left (LW) as seen in some games as well that I saw. Can also play uptop in a two man attack. Watched him in both roles (winger/two man attack) and he is exciting. My contact to Rohr have always said the lad reminds him of Obafemi Martins somewhat. Not in full attributes but in some.

He is expected to bag a move this summer.

Philosopher1979:

Supernerd what is your opinion of Abraham Marcus of feirense in Portugal. Rohr seems to have invited him. How good is this winger

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 4:37pm On May 14, 2021
Wait o where's OLISE ?
What is EZENWA doing there ? with overloaded Gk that we pack
Well He get GODFATHER for NFF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:40pm On May 14, 2021
He also said the squad will cut down to 23. 8 to be dropped. And no Michael Olise. I repeat No Michael Olise! angry

Smartsmith0907!!!!! Show yourself!!!!! angry

TheSuperNerd:
Just stumbled on this list of 31 for the June friendlies window.

Courtesy: Oluwashina Okeleji (@Oluwashina) of the BBC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 4:40pm On May 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Danke.

Nwalkali will be seriously underutilized when played as an AM.
Dude is built for the CM.

TheSuperNerd, your thoughts and analyses are always clear and precise.
Thank you for all you do.

God bless you

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 4:42pm On May 14, 2021
Philosopher1979:

Dont we have too many wingers, already. What we should be hunting for is an AM.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:43pm On May 14, 2021
Meliforme:

Nwalkali will be seriously underutilized when played as an AM.
Dude is built for the CM.

TheSuperNerd, your thoughts and analyses are always clear and precise.
Thank you for all you do.

God bless you

Thanks so much My good man. Your words are indeed kind. Much appreciated.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10663) (10664) (10665) (10666) (10667) (10668) (10669) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: robosky02(m), Pidginwhisper, Longneck, Psittacus(m), elyte89, Truidstarr, shawwal1(m), chrisooblog and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.